TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #1741
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateman96 View Post
I have a RS-TX20 and I use the IR connection to change the channels on my Dish Network Satellite box (I have a few International channels), however, I also have COX Digital cable and I would like to know how to change the channels on it with my RS-TX20. The COX digital box does not have a Serial connection so that is not an option. Thanks for your help.
You can't control both at the same time... It's one or the other.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #1742
linenoise
GOD

Please help! My RS-TX20 hard drive recently died on me. I can not find my instacake or my image to reload. Does anyone have a copy that I could get from them.
Thanks for your help!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #1743
azitnay

Check your PM's.

Drew
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #1744
slyone

I've got an rs-tx20 as well as a couple HD's and many ST & DT's. I should probably make some sort of backup in case of a hdd failure shouldn't I???? TIA!
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #1745
windracer
joined the 10k club

Check out WinMFS. Easiest way to do backups.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #1746
patrickinstardom

Unfortunately, the DVD recorder/drive of my Toshiba RS-TX60 [quite a while ago] broke. Actually, I'm not sure it's exactly broken... what happened was that a DVD disc got stuck in the device and somehow I got it out. It's been a while since that happened so I don't remember what I had to do to get the disc out. But I no longer use it for DVD playback. Also, I no longer use the DVD-recording functionality because I don't want this happening again.

From what I remember, the unit was stuck on a loading screen for the longest time (while the disc was stuck in there) and also, I may have had to send it in for a software reinstall. It was not a pleasant experience.

~Patrick
patrickinstardom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #1747
TiVoEvan74

Gosh, is that cutting off your nose to spite your face?!

I'd risk it... a DVD burning/playing unit w/o the DVD in operation is like any other Tivo and quite limited! You may discover that it was just one weird disk. I've had CDs DVDs get stuck in my laptop's drive and eventually, once out, everything is fine again.
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #1748
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
Gosh, is that cutting off your nose to spite your face?!

I'd risk it... a DVD burning/playing unit w/o the DVD in operation is like any other Tivo and quite limited! You may discover that it was just one weird disk. I've had CDs DVDs get stuck in my laptop's drive and eventually, once out, everything is fine again.
I'd say that it's not even as good as any other TiVo. Only one tuner and limited HDD capacity. Although having controls on the front of the unit is a bonus.

I love my RS-TX20 even though I'm only using TiVo basic with it. But if it didn't have the DVD capabilities, I'd change my tune.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #1749
sledhed

Need some hints...
I have tried the reboot - hold pause - type in 57 kickstart 6 times with no apparent success on my TX20. I want to scan the drive as there times when there are specific programs that will not record to DVD no matter what I do. Transferred to PC, they contain synch errors that videoredo fixes, so that must be related.

Can anyone give me the step-by-step for this unit, since the indicator lights are not like the regular TiVo when going through the boot sequence? I thought I got it to take a couple times, but it never showed a green screen as far as I could tell, if it did it was a flash and gone. And some of the programs are still having trouble recording to DVD, repeatedly. Other program record to DVD just fine, first time, every time.

Other than this (and the slow-slow-slow response time which is a constant), this unit works fine since day 1 and we have recorded hundreds of DVDs with it.

Is it perhaps time to replace the HDD?
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #1750
Chester_Lampwick

sledhed,
I'm thinking that your TiVo is operating normally. Yes, some programs will make coasters, nobody really knows why. I did the whole Hogan's Heroes series, and made 3 or 4 coasters out of the 35 discs. It sucks that I had to transfer those 3 or 4 discs, which is so slow.

If you're still using the original hard drive, you may want to freshen it up. Now's a good time before the new fall TV season. Maybe do a Clear and Delete Everything, which theoretically would defragment the drive. Or re-image it in a PC. You could run some disc diagnostics at that time. Running 24/7 for 5 years, you may want to retire the drive and put in a new much bigger drive. You can still find IDE drives, but soon it'll be tough. Maybe you should drop the $75 - $100, and buy a few more years of enjoyment with the machine.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 AM   #1751
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Lampwick View Post
sledhed,
I'm thinking that your TiVo is operating normally. Yes, some programs will make coasters, nobody really knows why. I did the whole Hogan's Heroes series, and made 3 or 4 coasters out of the 35 discs. It sucks that I had to transfer those 3 or 4 discs, which is so slow.

If you're still using the original hard drive, you may want to freshen it up. Now's a good time before the new fall TV season. Maybe do a Clear and Delete Everything, which theoretically would defragment the drive. Or re-image it in a PC. You could run some disc diagnostics at that time. Running 24/7 for 5 years, you may want to retire the drive and put in a new much bigger drive. You can still find IDE drives, but soon it'll be tough. Maybe you should drop the $75 - $100, and buy a few more years of enjoyment with the machine.
Chester, that is funny, that is the same series we are recording and having problems with. I don't think a single episode of the original Star Trek I have been recording has failed, neither has Stargate (both off of Dish local channel feeds). Hogans Heroes is off of TVLand, dish network. All standard def stuff.

Maybe the kickstart disk scan will address the issue, maybe not. If it doesn't, transfer to PC and burn there is an option I suppose, but that means buying software that will convert the .tivo's into standard mpeg for dvd... not sure if an OEM version of Roxio will do it, also not sure if I have one (that came with my dvd burner)...

Still it is more of a pain to do that even if I do have the software. Not sure my wife will do it since there are so many steps. If it burned DVDs just like on the Tivo unit, same menus and everything, that would be ideal, but it does not seem like it does that...
Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #1752
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
Chester, that is funny, that is the same series we are recording and having problems with. I don't think a single episode of the original Star Trek I have been recording has failed, neither has Stargate (both off of Dish local channel feeds). Hogans Heroes is off of TVLand, dish network. All standard def stuff.

Maybe the kickstart disk scan will address the issue, maybe not. If it doesn't, transfer to PC and burn there is an option I suppose, but that means buying software that will convert the .tivo's into standard mpeg for dvd... not sure if an OEM version of Roxio will do it, also not sure if I have one (that came with my dvd burner)...

Still it is more of a pain to do that even if I do have the software. Not sure my wife will do it since there are so many steps. If it burned DVDs just like on the Tivo unit, same menus and everything, that would be ideal, but it does not seem like it does that...
I believe that I did it all with freeware. I used the free version of TiVo desktop to transfer the recording. I then used directshow dump to decrypt the file to a standard MPEG2. Then I used TyTool to author a DVD, which I made an approximation of Humax/Toshiba's main menu. I may have used Nero to burn the disc itself, but I'm sure I could have used some freeware there too.

It still really sucks compared to burning four 30 minute high quality episodes in 20 minutes on the Toshiba. It takes hours with the network transfer/PC author method....
Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 AM   #1753
ShinobiGarth

hey guys. im wanting to get a DVR with Basic TiVo service on it which i believe would be the Toshiba RS-TX20/60 and SD-H400, or Pioneer DVR-810H and DVR-57H.

what i need clarification on is if these do in fact have ATSC tuners in them or are they stuck with NTSC?? if no ATSC, can you hook up a digital converter box into them? thanks.
ShinobiGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #1754
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiGarth View Post
hey guys. im wanting to get a DVR with Basic TiVo service on it which i believe would be the Toshiba RS-TX20/60 and SD-H400, or Pioneer DVR-810H and DVR-57H.

what i need clarification on is if these do in fact have ATSC tuners in them or are they stuck with NTSC?? if no ATSC, can you hook up a digital converter box into them? thanks.
No ATSC tuner. In fact they have only one NTSC tuner. You can apparently hook an external ATSC tuner, but there would be no appreciable picture quality difference. You can search for threads about ATSC tuners.

I don't think you would want a SD-H400 as it's a DVD player not recorder. You may be able to get a lifetime subscribed Humax cheap. They seem to have outsold all the Toshiba and Pioneers by a wide margin, and with people going HD, they can sometimes be had for less than the $300 lifetime subscription cost.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #1755
ShinobiGarth

i dont really need a DVD recorder on it, or DVD player for that matter. just TiVo.
ShinobiGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #1756
herc9

DVD replacement for Toshiba RS-TX20.

My dvd burner on my RS-Tx20 looks like it may be shot. It is having problems playing back and recording. I read some of the posts and it seems like most people are replacing them with the PIONEER DVR-112D. But newegg doesn't carry it anymore and other places are more expensive or less reliable.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the dvd drive with any other model or brand? Any help is appreciated.

thanks!!!

Last edited by herc9 : 09-04-2008 at 02:05 PM.
herc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #1757
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Can anyone give me the step-by-step for this unit, since the indicator lights are not like the regular TiVo when going through the boot sequence?
Sledhed ... sorry it took me so long, but I finally lugged my TX20 out of the closet and hooked it up so I could confirm the kickstart bootup sequence for you.

It's basically just like the other boxes ... here's how I was able to force a mfscheck on my TX20 (I'm looking at the GSOD right now):
  • plug in, HDD (orange) and DVD (red and orange) go on
  • Welcome! Powering Up screen displayed
  • start holding Pause on the remote
  • after a minute or so, the HDD light will go out and the DVD light will go red (keep holding Pause!)
  • the screen will flash, HDD will go back to orange, DVD will go orange as well. this is the indicator that the kickstart panic has been received.
  • you can now let go of Pause and enter the kickstart code (i.e., 54, 57, etc.). both lights will go out.
  • for a 57, it looks like the box will reboot again and then trigger the GSOD. for a 54, you'll get the "just a few minutes more" before the black HD test screen appears.
Hope this helps!

|

Last edited by windracer : 09-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #1758
tdeshler

TX-20 in endless boot cycle

Ok, here is a topic that has floated around a bit, but I haven't really seen a situation quite like mine. My TX-20 (Series 2) has been working fine for at least a year, but now it has decided to cycle through an endless loop of trying to boot up. I get the Welcome, powering up, then the lights cycle on and off, then I get the Almost there screen, then it starts over. This just started tonight after I bought a used Tivo remote. I was using an all-in-one universal remote before, which worked ok, but there were some features I couldn't access. I've tried to get into troubleshooting mode (57 or 54) by holding down the pause button, but nothing doing there. Any ideas of what to try next? Thanks.
tdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #1759
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeshler View Post
I've tried to get into troubleshooting mode (57 or 54) by holding down the pause button, but nothing doing there.
See my post right above yours for the steps on how to do a kickstart on the TX20. Try getting into 54 and running the various hard drive tests that are in that menu.

|
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #1760
tdeshler

Ok, I finally got it into test mode (54) and discovered some problems. I ran the S.M.A.R.T. tests and the results were:

initial state: pass
short test: fail 7
conveyance test: no start
extended test: no support
off-line scan: done

So is the hard drive toast? Is it repairable, or do I need to buy a new one? I'm comfortable replacing it, but from some reading I did in this forum, there are some instructions I'm not clear about, such as copy a mirror of the Tivo system, or something like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tad
tdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #1761
Chester_Lampwick

Well, it's indicating a failing drive. You may get some more use out of it, but you'll need to pull the drive and reformat it. You're likely going to lose all your recordings, at this stage. It doesn't sound like the TiVo OS can repair itself.

You can get several more years and probably 500hrs capacity if you spend $75 on a new IDE hard drive and $20 on an Instant Cake CD from DVRUpgrade. Or for a little more money you can get pre-formatted drives from DVRUpgrade or 9thtee. Then all you need is a T-10 and T-15 Torx screwdriver.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #1762
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Sledhed ... sorry it took me so long, but I finally lugged my TX20 out of the closet and hooked it up so I could confirm the kickstart bootup sequence for you.

It's basically just like the other boxes ... here's how I was able to force a mfscheck on my TX20 (I'm looking at the GSOD right now):
  • plug in, HDD (orange) and DVD (red and orange) go on
  • Welcome! Powering Up screen displayed
  • start holding Pause on the remote
  • after a minute or so, the HDD light will go out and the DVD light will go red (keep holding Pause!)
  • the screen will flash, HDD will go back to orange, DVD will go orange as well. this is the indicator that the kickstart panic has been received.
  • you can now let go of Pause and enter the kickstart code (i.e., 54, 57, etc.). both lights will go out.
  • for a 57, it looks like the box will reboot again and then trigger the GSOD. for a 54, you'll get the "just a few minutes more" before the black HD test screen appears.
Hope this helps!
It does, thanks! Got it to work, got a GSOD last night, and is running normally today by all indications.

Why would you put your TX20 in a closet? I know they can be annoyingly slow... and are not hi-def... but we still use ours all the time (along with a couple Series 2 units that were basically free after rebate with 1 year service included). Seems a shame.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #1763
azitnay

Quote:
Why would you put your TX20 in a closet?
Jeremy's been bitten by the S3/THD bug, of course!

My RS-TX20's still connected as our living room DVD player, but if/when we go Blu-ray I imagine it'll meet the same fate as his.

Drew
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #1764
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Why would you put your TX20 in a closet? I know they can be annoyingly slow... and are not hi-def...
Yeah, as Drew said ... I've got the S3 and an upconverting DVD player/recorder in the main home theater setup and then a THD in my office. I transferred the Lifetime off of my TX20 to my S3 when I originally purchased it, and after the year of "free" Lifetime post-transfer, I cancelled the service and let it revert to TiVo Basic.

I've considered cancelling the sub on my old S2 and moving it over the the TX20, but the TX20 is just so slow it gets annoying sometimes. I've been considering gifting it to my parents before the digital transition.

|
Old 09-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #1765
kjames184

Help!! Rstx-20 Stuck In Endless Loop

Hi all, been reading posts here for a while but this is first post. I have an rstx-20 that was acting funny (wasnt getting updated program info i forced the connection then got infothen when searching prog. info. screen would freeze). so i did a clear prog.& to do list then it got stuck in a loop saying almost there with red HDD light flashing. it did this for 24+ hrs even after an unplug restart! then i followed the kickstart guide got it to take a 57 code,got the green screen&followed inst. now it's stuck going from there to power up,welcome,almost there,back to green screen. I tried to kickstart again it's taking the 54 code(orange lights go out) but still in greenscreen endless loop tried unplugging again&same loop!!! any ideas? is the hard drive dead? by the way what is GSOD in the kickstart directions??? THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS
kjames184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #1766
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames184 View Post
Hi all, been reading posts here for a while but this is first post. I have an rstx-20 that was acting funny (wasnt getting updated program info i forced the connection then got infothen when searching prog. info. screen would freeze). so i did a clear prog.& to do list then it got stuck in a loop saying almost there with red HDD light flashing. it did this for 24+ hrs even after an unplug restart! then i followed the kickstart guide got it to take a 57 code,got the green screen&followed inst. now it's stuck going from there to power up,welcome,almost there,back to green screen. I tried to kickstart again it's taking the 54 code(orange lights go out) but still in greenscreen endless loop tried unplugging again&same loop!!! any ideas? is the hard drive dead? by the way what is GSOD in the kickstart directions??? THANKS FOR ANY IDEAS
GSOD - green screen of "death" I assume, it is actually a forced file system check like a scandisk in Windows. When I kickstarted, I got the GSOD, then after who knows how many hours (ran it at night) it completed, finished booting cleanly and was doing its regular recordings. Sounds like you might have a drive dying. But I am no expert.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #1767
Kracko

I had this problem and finally just bought a new hard disk from DVRUpgrade. It's working fine now. I highly recommend this since drives are so cheap.
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #1768
frankw

Unable to upgrade to 9,3

Hi everyone, My Toshiba RS-TX60 was on basic service for about a year before I decided to restore the service to premium. The problem is, that since restoring the premium service, it keeps freezing up every time I try to watch television. The software version is 8.3 and should be 9.3 --- I have spoken to customer support and I have been waiting over a week for Tivo to schedule me for the upgrade. Does anyone know whether this is a hardware or software issue?
Frankw
frankw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #1769
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Sounds like a hard drive problem. When you go into the System Information screen, does it say "Pending Restart" anywhere? or when you go to the Phone & Networks page under Settings?

The TiVo should have automatically updated to 9.3 by now. The main reason I've seen where a TiVo won't update is as follows. The TiVo downloads the new update to a secondary boot partition on the hard drive and "pending restart" appears on the menus. Then at 2:00AM, if you don't restart the TiVo manually, the TiVo will try to do a restart and attempt to update the software. It does this by switching active boot partitions. But, if it fails, it will revert to the original boot partition. Usually it fails if the secondary boot partition has a problem with it, a bad sector or something that prevents a successful software upgrade.

You can force an upgrade with one of the kickstart codes. Unfortunately, issuing the kickstart code on the Toshiba is a bit tricky. You'll have to do some searching on kickstart and Toshiba for help on this.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #1770
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
Unfortunately, issuing the kickstart code on the Toshiba is a bit tricky. You'll have to do some searching on kickstart and Toshiba for help on this.
Luckily, I posted how to do this just a few posts above.

|