TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #121
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by upatoi15 View Post
I've narrowed down my issue as not having the most up to date firmware on my cablecard with my Tivo HD. My cable company seems to give all their boxes firmware updates but the latest I have is from April 2007. Anybody know how to update the firmware??

Lee
That is your cable company's problem - not yours.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #122
deecee

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Your TiVo came with a cable card installation sheet or you can find the instructions here. You'll need the cable card activation telephone number from your cable company so you can call in and give them the numbers that they're looking for. That will allow them to "pair" your cable card. (That's usually where people run into trouble as most cable companies don't want anyone but their techs calling in.) Other than that just follow the directions and you should be fine.

Once your cable card is properly set up, just run Guided Setup from the Settings menu and everything should be working.
Thanks for the info but the "instructions here" link does not work for me.
deecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #123
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Thanks for the info but the "instructions here" link does not work for me.
Thanks for catching that. I've updated the link on my original post (TiVo changes/updates their web pages now and then).

This is the current link to cable card installation instructions for a TiVo HD:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...Vo_HD_DVR.html
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #124
deecee

Quote:
Thanks for catching that. I've updated the link on my original post (TiVo changes/updates their web pages now and then).

Thanks for the update.
deecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #125
jmaditto

CC Install

TW is coming out tomorrow for my install so these instructions are great to have. Wish me luck!
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #126
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
TW is coming out tomorrow for my install so these instructions are great to have. Wish me luck!
Best of luck...but you shouldn't need it if they follow the directions. If they're installing an "M" card it's very straight forward; install in slot one and activate it. If they're installing two "S" cards, gently remind the tech that the slot 1 card needs to be installed and activated/paired first, then the second card in slot 2. Some try to do them both at the same time and that won't work. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #127
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Not to change your thinking, but have you checked to see how much 2 CC's cost? Our first one is free and the second one is $1.50/mo. YMMV of course.
Mediacom here, and I have two cablecards set to be installed this Friday -- $1.99/month X 2.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #128
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:

If anyone wants instructions for the TiVo S3, they're here.

XL4
Old 08-13-2008, 06:28 PM   #129
jmaditto

No luck so far

Quote:
Best of luck...but you shouldn't need it if they follow the directions. If they're installing an "M" card it's very straight forward; install in slot one and activate it. If they're installing two "S" cards, gently remind the tech that the slot 1 card needs to be installed and activated/paired first, then the second card in slot 2. Some try to do them both at the same time and that won't work. Let us know how it goes!
They are installing a M card from SA, called it into the office with the CC ID and Host ID....TiVO sees the M card in slot one, they went through the guide setup even though I told them it wasn't necessary, still not decrypting channels...they are calling the office again. They are nice enough anyway.

Another update - trying a different M card with someone on the phone that knows what he is doing. Said something wasn't setup right before. This card is going through a firmware update right now and the last first did not even though they were the same July 2007 date. Fingers crossed...

Last edited by jmaditto : 08-13-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #130
jmaditto

Still not there

After the techs called the CC Hotline for TWC and they were absolutely no help, they left and said I gave to call CS in the morning. It was soooo funny, the CC Hotline rep told them I needed a converter box to receive Discovery HD. They knew he was clueless so they just told him thanks for your help all is good and hung up. Bottom line, I'm receiving some channels but not others. I'm troubleshooting in diagnostics but could use some help.

The card says it is activated and I have my channel map from the headend. My signal for 845 (Discover Theater HD that is not switched) is 100, tuning status is Success, CableCARD 1 is operating normally, Channel list received is YES, OOB is locked. Seems like everythign should work. Any thoughts before a tech comes back sometime next week?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #131
jmaditto

CA Status: Not Staged

Hope this helps someone. I finally found a screenshot on the Tivo site showing my CA Status should be "Ready" and I noticed mine was "Not Staged" Called TWC using a number that only the techs are to use, and she knew exactly what needed to happen. She called the headend to "stage" my card. Unfortunately no one was there but she is escalating my case and she says someone should be able to take care of in the morning from their office and not even bother me. They are going to call me once this is complete. Hopefully this is the answer.

So - Why didn't my two TWC installers know to look at the CA Status to begin with? Also, why didn't Tivo CableCard hotline know this either? Seems like someone would have known. Anyway, more to come tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #132
richsadams

Sounds like a SNAFU all around. Everyone should have known...but as evidenced by the TWC office tech saying that you needed a STB (set top box) to receive any programming...well.

It sounds like you've solved the problem and hopefully TWC will be able to follow through but good luck and keep us posted!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #133
jmaditto

@@#$ Happens

Of course nobody did anything this morning....I'm working with TW Cable Tech support. They tried to "pair" the card and we went through a hard reboot after the completed the pairing on their end with no luck. I could tell they did the pairing as my channel map was missing at first....then it showed up again but still not decrypting channels and the status is "not staged" Nobody seems to know what "not staged" means. Dang it! I was hoping to resolve this before going out of town. More to come as they continue to work with the headend and are calling back to test after they try something else. fingers crossed.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #134
jmaditto

they gave up and are sending a tech out Mon.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #135
jmaditto

CableCard Success

What do yo know...TWC actually kept working on their end and resolved my issue. This time they said they paired the card with my device and restaged it. My guess is, given my status was "not staged" since Wed night, they never actually staged my card until now. All is good.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #136
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Well, so far this isn't going well. Mediacom techs, two of them. Neither have seen an S3 before. Trying to install both cards at the same time. Then they're saying that the cablecards probably won't work unless I have a direct cable connection to the TiVo (w/o any splits). Now they're up the pole behind my house....geesh.

XL4
Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #137
jmaditto

break out the guide for a S3 within this thread. You have to coach them through the process on the TiVo side. Now, if you have pairing/staging issues on the cable network side there isn't much you can do but keep trying to find the right person. Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #138
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
break out the guide for a S3 within this thread. You have to coach them through the process on the TiVo side. Now, if you have pairing/staging issues on the cable network side there isn't much you can do but keep trying to find the right person. Good Luck!
I showed/gave them the instructions and believe I've convinced them to install one at a time. We'll see, and I'll post updates here. Oh, and they're replacing my amplifier with another one that has wider bandwidth (?).

XL4
Old 08-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #139
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Bingo! They used one M card and one S card....installed them separately, and I'm in business!!

XL4
Old 08-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #140
jmaditto

Great News

glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #141
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Well, I may have spoken too soon. After the techs left, I've been adjusting my channel list, and now I'm discovering that sometimes the channels are there, and sometimes they're not. I checked my cablecard diagnostics and all seems to be OK. Cable signal strength is 90+. But sometimes the channels are there and sometimes the screen is just black. What gives? I know they tested my signal strength and put in an amplifier just to make sure it was good. I just don't get it. There's no rhyme or reason to this...like I said, sometimes the channels are there and sometimes not. Phooey.

XL4
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #142
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

OK...what I've found in the MMI screens (conditional access screen) is that neither of my cards has been paired. I'm contacting Mediacom now to see what can be done and how soon.

XL4
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #143
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...If they're installing two "S" cards, gently remind the tech that the slot 1 card needs to be installed and activated/paired first, then the second card in slot 2. Some try to do them both at the same time and that won't work...
You don't want to put them in at the same instant but you do not need to activate the first one before inserting the second one. The first one simply needs to be recognized by the TiVo first before proceeding with the second. Those instructions are a way of idiot-proofing the the installation and god knows they need to do that. You don't want a neanderthal slamming both cards in at the same time. That is where the stories of the installations not working come from.

On both of my installations (one from an experienced Comcast tech and one a self-install) the first card was inserted and then second card was inserted after the first was recognized (about 20-30 seconds). Host and Data IDs were noted and then both cards were called in at the same time. Much more efficient but it assumes an experienced installer. Since that can't be assumed, the TiVo provided procedure is best but it is not required for any technical reasons.

Last edited by jlib : 08-16-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #144
kochsr

WOW came by today, popped in the M-card, and placed a call to the NOC. it worked in 2 minutes, no problem, even though the guy had never done it before with a tivo.
kochsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #145
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Well, I called Mediacom CS and they said everything looks good on "their end". They're sending someone out Monday or possibly tomorrow (if they have a cancellation). I'm hoping it's either a pairing error or flakey cards. They installed one M card and one S card (which TiVo says should work), but perhaps if they install both as S cards that might help. I specifically asked for S cards when I put in the original order and they said no problem. But when the guy came today he said all he just takes what he's given. He didn't even know if they were S or M cards....turned out it was one of each. One thing I have noticed during this whole snafu -- I've never lost my unencrypted channels (local HD channels); they've always been there. All the other channels come and go.

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 10-13-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #146
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
You don't want to put them in at the same instant but you do not need to activate the first one before inserting the second one. The first one simply needs to be recognized by the TiVo first before proceeding with the second. Those instructions are a way of idiot-proofing the the installation and god knows they need to do that. <snip>
Exactly.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #147
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
<snip> One thing I have noticed during this whole snafu -- I've never lost my unencrypted channels (local HD channels); they've always been there. All the other channels come and go.
It does indeed sound like a pairing issue. One "M" and one "S" should be okay...or two "S" or two "M" should be fine too. But one card may be flaky. Have you noted which tuner is problematic or does it happen on both? Hopefully they'll get it right and thanks for the updates!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #148
richsadams

Quote:
What do yo know...TWC actually kept working on their end and resolved my issue. This time they said they paired the card with my device and restaged it. My guess is, given my status was "not staged" since Wed night, they never actually staged my card until now. All is good.
Chalk one up for TWC (it's rare I know ). Glad to hear all is well...now enjoy!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #149
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
It does indeed sound like a pairing issue. One "M" and one "S" should be okay...or two "S" or two "M" should be fine too. But one card may be flaky. Have you noted which tuner is problematic or does it happen on both? Hopefully they'll get it right and thanks for the updates!
On the advice of a Mediacom tech who posts on DSLReports, I pulled both cards, then re-inserted them one at a time. The M card was in the bottom slot (#1), and, after inserting it, I tested the channels. I got nothing but my unencrypted QAM channels. Then I re-inserted CableCard #2, and, when I tested the channels on it, I got all my low end (2-78), nothing between 100 and 600, of course I got my unencrypted, but I also received the HD tier (which I wasn't getting with CableCard #1). #1 is the M card and #2 is the S card (if that makes any difference). So it appears the second tuner/card is "better" than the first, but still not receiving all the channels I should get. Odd thing is yesterday, before the techs left, we tested the channels on both cards and, as I recall, they seemed fine. But I'm sure we didn't check every channel, so I could have been missing some right off the bat with knowing until I checked thoroughly (after they left of course!).

XL4
Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #150
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
On the advice of a Mediacom tech who posts on DSLReports, I pulled both cards, then re-inserted them one at a time. <snip>
So it sounds like at least the "M" card may have problems but that possibly neither are fully paired/activated.

Make sure the cableco CSR knows that the tech needs to bring more than a couple of cable cards with them when they return. There are stories here of techs going through as many as a half-dozen cable cards before finding one that works so I'd keep after them. And keep us posted!

Cableco techs usually check a limited number of channels; certain ones that are within each frequency band/set. If those work they'll declare everything working, but we all know that isn't always the case. Don't be afraid to have them do it up again, re-run TiVo's Guided Setup once more and then sit and click through various or all of the channels until you're satisfied. They may get antsy as most are contractors that get paid by the job, but it'll save you some time and aggravation in the long run. Offer them something to drink and have a good chat about something and who knows, they may become your best friend.