TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #1621
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFred View Post
I've had an FAP 750 running for several months, trouble-free. I'm still on 9.3. I got the message on 7/31/08.
We'll stay tuned. Let us know if you run into any issues w/v9.4 will you? According to TiVoJerry, it's the FAP 750's that are problematic, but no mention of the 500GB or 1TB models. TIA!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #1622
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Excellent reporting! It's good to know that the WD10EACS-00D6B0 works fine in a TiVo HD. (Now where are all of the Series3 folks? )

No idea what the noise would be. Is it seeking at the time or just doing normal duty?
As to the drive noise, it's so minimal as to be practically nonexistent, but even so, I don't recall hearing it since. It could be that the TiVo was doing a network connection and loading info at the time. I haven't been cognizant of any drive noise at any time since.

Got the 9.4 software update the day after I got the new drive installed, it loaded up very quickly (about 30 minutes or less) and there was no slowdown in UI response afterwards, as there often is after a service update.

Very pleased with the WD10EACS.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #1623
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
As to the drive noise, it's so minimal as to be practically nonexistent, but even so, I don't recall hearing it since. It could be that the TiVo was doing a network connection and loading info at the time. I haven't been cognizant of any drive noise at any time since.

Got the 9.4 software update the day after I got the new drive installed, it loaded up very quickly (about 30 minutes or less) and there was no slowdown in UI response afterwards, as there often is after a service update.

Very pleased with the WD10EACS.
Maybe that sound you heard were the hamsters singing for joy that they were powering a hard drive in a TiVo instead of some monster server somewhere!

Now that you mention it, the UI was as quick or quicker after v9.4 installed as well...not a bit of slowdown. Nice TiVo!

Glad the drive is doing well. Now put your seat back in the reclining position, drop your tray table in your lap, order the beverage of your choice, relax and enjoy!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #1624
profxyz

9.4 bombs and Samsung 1 tb ext drv called culprit

Well, this is the first time I`ve actually posted on this forum,
but I`ve been a regular reader.

Listen to this.

I`ve had a series 3 for about 10 months now, I`ve had a
Samsung 1tb ext hd. hooked up for about 3 mo., with no
problems. Yet. I recently received the 9.4 upgrade with no
problems. Then I recieved it again, and again. So far,
the software has d/l and sucessfully installed 3 times into
my series 3.

All the same rev number.

I called Tivo cust serv today and was met with a position
from the tech that altho the download problem may not be
caused by my ext hd, since it was not a " supported "
model, he couldn`t continue to help me.

The software shows no problems via the tivo functionality.
The network connection log shows succeded for the download.

Tivo just keeps sending me the same download.

And tivo tech support either does or doesn`t think my perfectly
good samsung may or may not be a problem.

So, I am disconnecting the samsung and waiting for tivo to send me
their summer upgrade again.

Altho, the software runs fine and I like the changes.

When tivo gets it`s act together, in a few weeks I`ll hook up
my samsung again.

Prof.

Last edited by profxyz : 08-03-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar
profxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #1625
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by profxyz View Post

Well, this is the first time I`ve actually posted on this forum, but I`ve been a regular reader.

Listen to this.

I`ve had a series 3 for about 10 months now, I`ve had a Samsung 1tb ext hd. hooked up for about 3 mo., with no problems. Yet. I recently received the 9.4 upgrade with no problems. Then I recieved it again, and again. So far, the software has d/l and sucessfully installed 3 times into my series 3. <snip>
Welcome to the forum (well, sort of)...although under not-so-great circumstances. You have an interesting situation. Lousy that the TiVo rep decided not to help you, although I guess I don't blame them in some cases. But the repeated downloading of an upgrade has been around for years and those cases had nothing to do with an expansion drive. It sounds like you went through the proper divorce procedures if TiVo is functioning normally. Guess you lost most of your recordings.

If the software continues to download, it hasn't been successful in TiVo's eyes. The d/l program has a required method whereby it confirms that everything is in place and operating properly called checksum validation. If that doesn't happen TiVo will try it again until it's successful.

So does the "Last Status" line on the system info screen (or the network screen) say "Pending Restart"? If it does say "Pending Restart" you can cause it to install immediately with a reboot (instead of waiting until 2 a.m. when it would normally happen). Once it's done it's thing, check to see if it still says "Pending Restart". If it does, there's a problem...likely with your internal hard drive and one or both of the root partitions where the O/S software resides. Another call to TiVo would be in order.

If not and the screens show the normal "Succeeded" on the "Last Status" line the d/l should be successful/final IMO and it should be safe to connect your eSATA drive once more.

Thanks for the post. I know a lot of us would be interested in how this turns out.

Last edited by richsadams : 08-04-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #1626
naclone

one other data point on the FAP 750.

i restarted my S3 early last week for something unrelated and when it came back on a weird green screen announced that my external drive had not been recognized and to press enter if i wanted to stop using it.

my heart sank and i quickly unplugged the unit hoping that the connection to the drive hadn't been irreparably separated.

i waited a few moments and plugged the unit back in and got the same green screen. my heart sank further. but like an insane person expecting a different result, unplugged the unit again. this time i unplugged the FAP as well disconnected everything and reconnected.

this time when i powered on the S3 everything worked normally and I wrote it off as a freak anomaly as I had never had an issue with the FAP since installing it nearly a year ago.

then two days later on the 31st I got the FAP 750 warning message the other folks have described.

I'm still running 9.3 btw.

Can anybody recommend any ideas for salvaging any of my recorded content should i decide to pre-emptively swap out the FAP?

I suppose I could get a new drive for the S3, connect that to my PC, transfer all my recordings to the PC on that drive, then disconnect the FAP, connect it to the PC and move everything from the new drive to the FAP, install the new drive on the S3 and then transfer everything back. would there be an easier way?
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #1627
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
I suppose I could get a new drive for the S3, connect that to my PC, transfer all my recordings to the PC on that drive, then disconnect the FAP, connect it to the PC and move everything from the new drive to the FAP, install the new drive on the S3 and then transfer everything back. would there be an easier way?
Couldn't you buy the same size drive and do a bit copy to it (using linux dd copy command like here). Put the new drive in the FAP's enclosure (or a new Antec MX-1). Has anyone ever tried that? Would it work?
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #1628
jlib
Lean Forward

Which also begs the question: Is the problem with the drive itself or with the enclosure circuitry? Most likely the later, in which case just moving the current drive to a different enclosure would work. Just speculating at this point, though...
Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #1629
bugzod

Copy Protected or ALL Recordings?

[quote=richsadams;6525846]

4. Copy protected recordings (generally) cannot be transferred from TiVo to a PC.

I just want to understand clearly what if any transfer issues would be caused by adding the DVR Expander. In bkdtv's first post in this thread, specifically point #18, he said "Can I view the recordings on the eSATA drive with my PC?

No. All recordings are encrypted, as required by the CableLabs' licensing agreement (page 30)."

I use a Comcast M stream cablecard, but only my premium programs are copy protected. Will this still be the case or will none of the programs be able to be transferred to the PC for editing, etc?
bugzod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #1630
richsadams

No worries. What bkdtv was referring to was a question about the ability to disconnect an eSATA drive from TiVo, connect it to a PC and watch (or transfer) recordings that were ostensibly on the external drive...to which the answer is "no".

After properly connecting an external hard drive to TiVo everything will remain just as it is now. Adding an expansion drive for all intents and purposes simply creates a single, larger drive. Any program that is transferrable now will continue to be transferable (unless of course the program's owner decides otherwise at some point). So feel free to add an eSATA drive and carry on as usual, plus enjoy the additional recording space.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #1631
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
I just got a message on my Series 3 that Seagate FreeAgent Pro is not supported and is known to cause problems.
I got it too

I'll be consolidating my FAP and internal drive onto a new 1 GB internal hard drive. I may also add another 1 GB external too - still on the fence about that.

EDIT: I may also fabricate a bracket like Thom did and put both drives inside - then again I had so many problems with my S1 and S2's overheating with dual drives I'll probably just stick with one internal and one external.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #1632
jlb
NCC-1701-D

okee dokee......I was thinking about an internal upgrade, but as we inch closer to the fall season, I may just do the Expander. Any "reasonable" rumors regarding a 1TB expander? Also, I have seen the prices around $130. Any particularly good prices/places people have recently ordered from?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #1633
sbessel
Reformed Geek

Are there any options to copy the data off an existing external drive to a new external?

I have seen links to the MFSTools site that shows how to upgrade internal and such, but I would like to find a way to upgrade just my external without touching my internal.

I have a lot of content on my system now, and since 98.7% is protected I can't copy it off... (I could really see this as a needed Tivo Desktop option, backup content to PC)

thanks...

TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (His) 500 gig eSata
TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (Hers) 1tb eSata
TiVo HD (2/16/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo HD (6/01/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo user since the Series1.
sbessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #1634
naclone

well i just got a random restart followed by green screen with the following message:

The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about three hours. Please do not unplug or restert the DVR.

No idea if this is related to the FAP 750, the 9.4 or both.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #1635
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbessel View Post
Are there any options to copy the data off an existing external drive to a new external?
Why can't you use WinMSF & copy the drive, just like people have done with the internal drive?

I really don't understand the specifics of what WinMSF does but if it formats a new drive & simply copies the information from one drive to the other then, why not? I know I'm missing something basic but I'm curious as to if it could be done this way.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #1636
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Why can't you use WinMSF & copy the drive, just like people have done with the internal drive?

I really don't understand the specifics of what WinMSF does but if it formats a new drive & simply copies the information from one drive to the other then, why not? I know I'm missing something basic but I'm curious as to if it could be done this way.
I don't believe there is an option for what the poster wants to do(copy only external drive) using the winmfs program, or any of the other mfs tools.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #1637
MichaelTV

I tried to use WinMFS last night to upgrade my TiVo HD. I had two empty SATA ports on my PC board, so I hooked up both the current and new drives (I used the SATA cable for the DVD for one of them). I downloaded and installed the latest WinMFS. Ran WinMFS as an Administrator (I have Vista Home), and it wouldn't recognize either of my two drives.

Obviously, I'm in need of some help to get things started. My gymnastics loving 9 year old daughter is applying as much pressure as possible to get it upgraded in time for the Olympics.

Thx!
MichaelTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #1638
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTV View Post
Ran WinMFS as an Administrator (I have Vista Home), and it wouldn't recognize either of my two drives.
When you say ran as an administrator, you literally right-clicked on the .exe and said "Run As Administrator"? Because that sounds just like what happens when you don't...

Being logged in with an account with administrative rights isn't enough any more with Vista.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #1639
MichaelTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
When you say ran as an administrator, you literally right-clicked on the .exe and said "Run As Administrator"?
Yes, that is correct. RMB, clicked "Run as Administrator".

FWIW, I also have full Admin rights.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #1640
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. RMB, clicked "Run as Administrator".

FWIW, I also have full Admin rights.
Some motherboards you have to enable the SATA port from the BIOS. (Some are autodetect, I've seen both lately). Doesn't explain why it didn't at least see your DVD one (have to assume it was already enabled.)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #1641
MichaelTV

Quote:
Some motherboards you have to enable the SATA port from the BIOS. (Some are autodetect, I've seen both lately). Doesn't explain why it didn't at least see your DVD one (have to assume it was already enabled.)
I used the DVD SATA cable, but plugged it into a different port on the board.

If I reboot...enter the BIOS...'enable' the two unused ports, is Windows going to try to mount the drive and assign letters, or just make the ports 'active'? If I enable the ports/drives, is there any concern on Windows messing up my existing TiVo drive?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #1642
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
I used the DVD SATA cable, but plugged it into a different port on the board.

If I reboot...enter the BIOS...'enable' the two unused ports, is Windows going to try to mount the drive and assign letters, or just make the ports 'active'? If I enable the ports/drives, is there any concern on Windows messing up my existing TiVo drive?

No, windows will not mount the drives itself. You'd have to go into Disk Management and tell it to do that. I think booting into Windows and having it overwrite the boot record was a Windows 2000 problem. Not XP or Vista. (I've personally tested that on XP just to see for myself.)

In fact, WinMFS depends on it not mounting the drives. You should be ok. Hopefully enabling in the BIOS is all that's wrong.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #1643
MichaelTV

Quote:
Hopefully enabling in the BIOS is all that's wrong.
Hopefully, I'll have time to try this out tonight. The Olympics are coming fast! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #1644
jbrennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
well i just got a random restart followed by green screen with the following message:

The DVR has detected a serious problem and is now attempting to fix it. This will take about three hours. Please do not unplug or restert the DVR.

No idea if this is related to the FAP 750, the 9.4 or both.

Naclone, are you now running 9.4 on the Tivo with the FAP? Did 9.4 install through the regular nightly connect, did you install 9.4 yourself from another Tivo, or did you sign a non disclosure agreement with Tivo regarding anything to do with testing 9.4?

Thanks
jbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #1645
naclone

nope. i'm still on 9.3.

i made that post when the green screen was still doing it's thing so there was no way to check what software i was running so i posited a guess i had gotten upgraded and perhaps that caused the failure.

the greensceen only ran for a couple minutes then it restarted and everything was normal.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #1646
MichaelTV

Quote:
Hopefully enabling in the BIOS is all that's wrong.
Quote:
Hopefully, I'll have time to try this out tonight. The Olympics are coming fast! Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.
All I had to do was enable the SATA ports in the BIOS. Worked like a champ! I put a WD10000CSRTL in my TiVO HD...144 hours of HD!

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #1647
DHR

FreeAgent Pro 750

Hi all, this is just to add more data to the FAP 750 discussion. My Series3 started acting strange a couple months ago (I've had it for over a year)- it started with garbled sound, then pixelation in images and now I'm getting some reboots. I was on software release 9.3 until today and 9.4 installed successfully. I've been deleting old material from the TIVO but it's too early to say if that has helped the situation.

I'm in the process of downloading the SD programing to my PC for future upload and it looks like I'll have to visit Best Buy and invest in a WD DVD Expander to ensure a good Olympic experience.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Too bad TIVO's official site doesn't have any mention of Seagate FAP drives even after the broadcast warning.
DHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #1648
M Tyson

Maxtor Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuokuo View Post
okay, I have the 1TB maxtor in a kingwin esata enclosure hooked up to the tivo hd with the seagate 500gb. We'll see how it goes...
Did this configuration work? I'm thinking of trying the same config.
M Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #1649
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
I don't believe there is an option for what the poster wants to do(copy only external drive) using the winmfs program, or any of the other mfs tools.
I was thinking sbessel might use Tools -> Mfscopy

But this would be the best place to ask the question;
http://www.mfslive.org/forums/index....04ab97d1ca0eac

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #1650
sbessel
Reformed Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I was thinking sbessel might use Tools -> Mfscopy

But this would be the best place to ask the question;
http://www.mfslive.org/forums/index....04ab97d1ca0eac
I searched over there, and it seems I can use dd to copy it, but it appears what I am asking is not a common question... strange... but I guess most people upgrade and stay.

TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (His) 500 gig eSata
TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (Hers) 1tb eSata
TiVo HD (2/16/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo HD (6/01/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo user since the Series1.
sbessel is offline   Reply With Quote