TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
vittoria

Question Strange 1x fast forward issue since 9.4 update

I have a Series 3 which received the 9.4 summer update around 4AM or so Friday morning. Since then I've noticed that the 1x fast forward is very close to normal speed, not the 1x or so it seemed before. At times it's absolutely normal playback speed and other times there's a quick burst of fast forwarding and then back to normal playing speed again. It keeps going back and forth like this.

I tested it watching auto racing that had a count-down clock. In 1x mode the clock was still counting in pretty much real time except for clumps of like 10 seconds here and there that suddenly counted down very quickly and then resumed normal speed.

Same thing if testing using a channel like Headline News...something with a continuous scroll. The scrolling appears to alternate constantly between completely normal playback speed to a fast forward speed of some sort.

I've called Tivo a couple of times since yesterday. Each time has resulted in a tech saying it's behaving normally and that the software update had nothing to do with the fast forward function. (Like an update could never mess with something else by accident.) One even suggested I call my cable company to see if they have any DVR's like would like better then the Tivo. (I really like the Tivo and have no desire to rent a Cablevision DVR.) This same tech also said it might be a cable problem and I should call the cable company. (Seemed like a Tivo playback issue to me.)

I'm fairly sure in the past that 1x fast forward was a fairly constant speed which was obviously quicker than real time but not super quick.

I was wondering if anyone could either record a bit of Headline News or at least leave a tuner on it to get a buffer and then rewind and test the 1x FF by watching the scrolling on the bottom. I'd like to know if others see the constant speed up/slow down of the scrolling over and over again.

Also, how fast is each FF increment supposed to increase the playback speed? The techs have not been able to answer.

Thank you for any help-

Vickie
vittoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittoria View Post
I tested it watching auto racing that had a count-down clock. In 1x mode the clock was still counting in pretty much real time except for clumps of like 10 seconds here and there that suddenly counted down very quickly and then resumed normal speed.

Vickie
My S3 has been this way since 9.3. Because of that I changed to use the 30-sec skip and like that much better.

I just checked using CNN Headline and it seems to be fixed for me now. Did you get the 9.4 software update?

Last edited by jrm01 : 08-02-2008 at 06:15 PM.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Mine has been this way on some (but not all) shows for quite some time now, at least since 9.3. It's annoying, but I hardly ever use 1x FF anyway so I don't notice it much.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
vittoria

I've only noticed this since it updated to 9.4 this Friday morning.

I've noticed that it's not happening universally. I saw it on Speed, Headline News and YES, but Fox was fine, (even when they ran a severe weather scroll it was smooth and steady in 1x.)

What does 30-second skip do? Does it jump instantly ahead 30 seconds at a time?

Thank you-
Vickie
Old 08-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
jfh3

Quote:
What does 30-second skip do? Does it jump instantly ahead 30 seconds at a time?
Yes.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

And before you ask, you press 'select' - 'play' - 'select' - '3' - '0' - 'select' while watching a recorded program to turn it on/off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
vittoria

The problem has become even more mysterious. I've been experimenting by testing various channels that have those continously moving scrolls, since the problem is obvious that way. It seems the 1x FF is fine on some channels and it has stop-and-go motion on others. The OK ones I've tested are CNN, Bloomberg, Fox, MSNBC, & ESPN2. The ones where 1x FF keeps varying from nothing to FF are Speed, Headline News, YES, Fox News & ESPN.

(I only tested channels with scrolling.)

I wonder why 1x FF works correctly on some channels and doesn't do much on others?

I just wish I could have someone from Tivo actually see it so they would know this was not "normal."

Thank you -
Vickie
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
sinanju

Quote:
I just wish I could have someone from Tivo actually see it so they would know this was not "normal."
One important fact left out of your original posting is that your connection to the TV is composite video. I'm guessing there are few of us using composite with the S3. I responded with more detail to your posting at forums.tivo.com.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
jtkohl

I had this behavior with skiing events on VS when I had Comcast, but don't have it with FiOS. I am guessing it has to do with the particular MPEG encoding and whether TiVo can do its fast-forward efficiently enough to play the video stream at 3x.
jtkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
vittoria

Thank you for your reply.

The fast forward problem I'm having started since the 9.4 update and seems to only affect 1x FF on some channels. The 2x and 3x seem fine.

I went through a whole bunch of channels testing each using the 1xFF. So far I've found 20 channels where the 1xFF only works in occassional bursts and 51 channels where it works fine. (I didn't check every single channel, just ones I might watch.)

Since I mainly use the 1x for sports all of the sports channels are affected except ESPN2 and ESPN Classic...of course.

Vickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkohl View Post
I had this behavior with skiing events on VS when I had Comcast, but don't have it with FiOS. I am guessing it has to do with the particular MPEG encoding and whether TiVo can do its fast-forward efficiently enough to play the video stream at 3x.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
dougdingle
HD Tech

I've got two S3's here, and the 9.4 update seems to have broken the fast forward function from the live buffer on both. On a recorded show, it seems to be OK, although I only have shows that recorded before the 9.4 update.

Specifically, pushing FF once turns off the audio, but the picture moves at a normal rate about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, it switches between normal speed and FF speed every few seconds. The second and third FF speeds work fine. The first rewind speed is also VERY choppy, with the second and third rewind speeds being fine.

This is on BOTH S3's, and only since the 9.4 update. The chances of both devices having the same hardware failure at the same time and it NOT being as a result of the 9.4 update: zero.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #12
adrianblack
Gearhead

Watching the Olympics right now my Tivo HD is doing this... The first level of FF pretty much does nothing other than mute the audio. Occasional bursts of double speed...

Time Warner, dual cable cards, HDMI, Native resolutoin, NBC in HD

I've had the Tivo HD since it came out and this only started with the latest recent software upgrade.

It's pretty annoying as I often use the double-speed to go through the slow spots in sports like the Olympics.
adrianblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
wedenton

Both my S3 and HD have always done this, but only with one OTA channel (NBC 12-1 Richmond VA). I just assumed its an incompatibility with TiVo and their transmitting equipment. Been going on so long I've gotten used to it, but it is annoying with the Olympics going on.
wedenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

I'd be willing to bet that you never have a problem with analog channels, only the digital ones (which includes all HD channels), though some digital channels may be unaffected.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthnice View Post
I'd be willing to bet that you never have a problem with analog channels, only the digital ones (which includes all HD channels), though some digital channels may be unaffected.
I agree with this statement. On both of my S3's and on my THD, since the 9.4 upgrade, recordings off of digital channels do not 1x FF correctly. 1x FF does little more than turn the sound off, although there is a periodic burst of speed. 1x Rewind is also very choppy. Analog channels seem to work just fine.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
FiosUser

I have this same problem with the 1x fast forward on my S3. The problem did not appear until the 9.4 release.

The time it most is a problem is on NBC HD (recording the olympics). I haven't seen it any other time.

I called Tivo this morning and they acted like they never had heard of the problem before. They told me to unplug the Tivo for 15 seconds and then see if that fixed it. It didn't.

Nothing else seemed to fix it either.

2x and 3x FF work fine.
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
fuhkinay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
The first rewind speed is also VERY choppy, with the second and third rewind speeds being fine.
My TiVo HD has the same problem. FF is fine, but the first rewind speed is very choppy. This started happening right after the 9.4 update.
fuhkinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
SJPstl

I've noticed this too, but only on HD channels. I'm not sure when it started but I think it's been doing it a long time.

I find the (normal) single fast forward great for watching baseball. I double FF between pitches and scale back to single FF for the pitch. I can watch a whole game in less than an hour. Unfortunately I miss the brilliant commentary.
SJPstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
GregComeLately

Here is my own "testimonial" that this isn't just a 9.4 thing; I've been encountering the 1x FF issue for at least the last year and a half. Like others, it's not a common occurrence to all channels, just a few even and not all of the time with those channels. At least, I don't think so ... I haven't been keeping mental notes as to which channels, how often, etc. Certainly it's more the exception than the norm.

It is annoying, esp. when I want to use the 1X FF feature for blasting through sporting events and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
NJP11

I just noticed the problem today for the first time while watching a NFL football game in HD on CBS. I have a Tivo HD with dual Motorola CableCards provided by Cox.
NJP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
rokicki

I also just noticed the problem today for the first time while watching an NFL football game in HD on CBS. I have a Tivo HD with a single multistream Motorola cable card. I was using closed captioning if it matters, and a different HD program was being recorded while I was watching the game. First time I've seen something like this (and I use FF-1 a lot). It was kind of frustrating.
rokicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
worachj

I have the same problem with the Big 10 network, using an S3.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #23
GregComeLately

The problem occurred again last night for the Bears/Colts game on NBC via OTA HD, and continued on for after the game for my local NBC affiliate programming.
GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
NJP11

What does everyone think is the best way to present this problem to Tivo?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
mattack

Call up Tivo and describe the problem. Unfortunately, there is no official bug reporting system, and they don't seem interested in putting one up.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #26
rclams2

Thumbs down My 1X FF Is Broken, Too (Comcast, S3)

Folks,

My 1X FF Is broken, too. We're on Comcast Digital Cable (SF Bay Area) and have a Series 3 HD TiVo.

Bugs the heck out of me, as I used to watch lots of golf at 1X, using 3X for commercials and Play for great shots/putts.

Dang it, TiVo, get the bugs out!

rclams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #27
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

FWIW, I have the two DirecTV HD TiVo HR10-250 units and they both behave the same inconsistent way using 1X FF as folks are describing here for the TiVo HD and S3. In my case, there is no analog tuner, everything coming in is either digital OTA or digital from DirecTV satellites, including analog channels that are digitized by DirecTV for satellite transmission. Thus, there are no A->D converters in these units.

Just another data point to consider ...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #28
NJP11

I've only noticed the problem on broadcast channels even though they are coming over Cox cable. I'm going to trying hooking up a regular antennae later today and see if I have the same problem
Old 09-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #29
friscoaggie

Strange 1x fast forward issue

Noticed this for the first time today. My Series 3 only receives over the air programming. I am currently seeing it watching the Cowboys Packers game, but saw it earlier today as I was trying to catch up on the Nascar race. Quite annoying as 2x is too fast to actually see what's going on.

Basically it only mutes the sound, occasionally it will speed up.
friscoaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #30
Poochie

Add me to the list of those who are seeing strange 1x FF speed behavior.

I definitely noticed it watching the Cowboys/Packers SNF game. KNTV-HD from Comcast in the SF Bay Area. Running 9.4 on the S3 with 2 Mot S-cards. I recently expanded the S3 with a 1TB WD10EVCS, but given the reports above I doubt that's the reason. 2x and 3x FF (and 30-second-skip) all work reasonably. 1x FF runs somewhere near real-time.

I don't recall seeing this with other football games I watched Sunday (Niners on KTVU-HD or 'da Raidas' on CBS-HD), but wouldn't swear that it wasn't there either - I was using 30-second-skip mostly there. If I remember tonight I'll try to see what the 1xFF behavior is for SD digital channels as well as some other HD channels - I can't test analogs as the "analog" channels are all coming in as digital for us due to ADS.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote