TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #1591
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 View Post
Hi, I have never posted here but I have been reading for quite a while. I just recently purchased two series3 Tivos and am going to upgrade the storage. This is where I came up with my question about the Antec enclosure with correct cable. Is there a benefit to using the SIIG cable with this enclosure, or is there no difference using it or the cable included with the Antec enclosure?
I used the stock cable for three months without a problem. Then the unit was moved while house cleaning and nothing but reboots until I replaced the cable with the SIIG. It's been eleven months now since the swap and many more cleanings without any problems. If you can set it and forget it the stock cable supplied by Antec will be fine. Otherwise, it's cheap insurance to get the SIIG.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #1592
Rocka2

Thanks moxie1617.
Rocka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #1593
richsadams

Like Moxie I (and many others) have used the cable that came with the Antec enclosure. I bought ours in March of '07 or so and didn't have any problems. There was a short period (about this time last year) where several people ran into problems with the cable Antec was shipping. IMO they were overwhelmed with orders, couldn't fill them fast enough and went with a cheap cable for a while. That seemed to have cleared up by last fall. IIRC there haven't been any issues since then. The SIIG cables have never had a complaint AFAIK and are a good inexpensive backup JIC.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #1594
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Excellent! Now...any Series3 pioneers willing to give the new WD WD10EACS-00D6B0 hard drive a try as an internal upgrade out there? (Install per the normal instructions on the first post of this sticky or WinMFS and try a menu restart to see if it works?) Hmmmm?
Unfortunately I can't help assay any fears of compatibility with a Series 3, but I did just receive one of these drives that I plan to put into my TiVo HD as an internal drive replacement. I'll be attempting the upgrade tonight and will report back on how it goes.

I realize that the WD10EACS has been reported (by most users, anyway) to work fine in a TiVo HD, but as the 00D6B0 is a new revision, I figure my experience may be valuable.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #1595
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
Unfortunately I can't help assay any fears of compatibility with a Series 3, but I did just receive one of these drives that I plan to put into my TiVo HD as an internal drive replacement. I'll be attempting the upgrade tonight and will report back on how it goes.

I realize that the WD10EACS has been reported (by most users, anyway) to work fine in a TiVo HD, but as the 00D6B0 is a new revision, I figure my experience may be valuable.
If I may ask, where did you get it? Did you know which version you would be getting beforehand? If so, how?

Thanks.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #1596
DydekD

I've just plugged in Vantec's NexStar3 with 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD10000LSRTL (32MB Cache, 7200RPM, perpendicular magnetic recording, dual processor) into TiVo Series3, and it seems to be working fine so far. 165HD and 1561SD recording capacity.
DydekD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #1597
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
If I may ask, where did you get it? Did you know which version you would be getting beforehand? If so, how?
I picked it up from Newegg.com on Monday for $179 shipped. At the time, I did not know which revision I would be getting; Newegg doesn't have the minor revision number on their product listing.

Before I ordered, I went through this thread and saw some talk of the 00D6B0. Turned out that's what I got.

The drive is undergoing an MFScopy with WinMFS as we speak, about 20 minutes left. I set the AAM level to minimum (128) with the Hitachi Feature Tool beforehand. So far so good.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #1598
BanditWS6

Update: Got the WD10EACS-00D6B0 installed in the TiVo HD and everything looks good. System Information reports 144 HD hours and 1326 SD hours (I supersized the original drive before running MFScopy). It's also too quiet for me to hear anything -- the cooling fan in my AV receiver is louder than any noise the TiVo might be making.

CableCARD settings were carried over without incident and I had my full channel lineup about 10-20 seconds after initial boot. My recordings from the original disk copied over fine and are perfectly playable.

To celebrate the newfound space, I just scheduled 5 hours worth of Olympic opening ceremonies in HD.

Tomorrow I should run a soft reboot test to make sure that won't cause any problems.

Edit: Soft reboot works fine, no issues.

Last night at 4:30 a.m. I noticed that in a completely dead-silent house, I can hear a tiny little high-pitched seek noise from the new drive. During the day it's inaudible.

Last edited by BanditWS6 : 07-31-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added soft reboot follow-up.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #1599
toddc

I just got a message on my Series 3 that Seagate FreeAgent Pro is not supported and is known to cause problems. I have two of them on two series 3 (one 750GB and one 1TB) and have not had a problem for over 1 year on the 750 GB and 6 months on the 1 TB.

Has anyone gotten any messages in regard to other third party drives from TiVo?
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #1600
jlib
Lean Forward

Interesting! The message went out of its way to say it is known to cause problems? Did this message coincide with the 9.4 system update?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #1601
toddc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Interesting! The message went out of its way to say it is known to cause problems? Did this message coincide with the 9.4 system update?
No, I have not gotten 9.4. I think it might be coincidental. but maybe 9.4 is more sensitive to odd brand drives?
It did specifically say that Seagate Freeagent is known to cause problems (although I have not had any).

I noticed earlier in the thread about Seagate external disks coming out designed for DVRs. Maybe TiVo has made a deal with Seagate and Seagate told them the Freeagent will not work on a DVR?

It is most odd that they singled out the Seagate Freeagent.
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #1602
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditWS6 View Post
Update: Got the WD10EACS-00D6B0 installed in the TiVo HD and everything looks good. System Information reports 144 HD hours and 1326 SD hours

Edit: Soft reboot works fine, no issues.

Last night at 4:30 a.m. I noticed that in a completely dead-silent house, I can hear a tiny little high-pitched seek noise from the new drive. During the day it's inaudible.
Excellent reporting! It's good to know that the WD10EACS-00D6B0 works fine in a TiVo HD. (Now where are all of the Series3 folks? )

No idea what the noise would be. Is it seeking at the time or just doing normal duty?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #1603
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
I just got a message on my Series 3 that Seagate FreeAgent Pro is not supported and is known to cause problems. I have two of them on two series 3 (one 750GB and one 1TB) and have not had a problem for over 1 year on the 750 GB and 6 months on the 1 TB.

Has anyone gotten any messages in regard to other third party drives from TiVo?
Wow! Big Brother is alive and well! That is indeed interesting that they singled out your eSATA drive(s). Did the message show up on both of your TiVo's or just one...and if just one, was it the one with the 750GB or the 1TB? Did you happen to keep the message and can you post a screen shot?

Initially there were a number of reports of problems with FAP's but IIRC they mostly boiled down to the supplied eSATA cable issues (bad connectors), not so much the drives themselves (although a few failed...overheating I think). Did you use the stock eSATA cable or one of those recommended like the SIIG?

In any case, it's surprising, kind of alarming in my book, that TiVo is sending out warnings for specific drives. Makes you wonder if they are just doing a little CYA or if it's an ominous sign...something darker this way comes?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #1604
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool Real Problems with Freeagent Pro

I can confirm there are real problems with the newer software and at least some of the Freeagent Pro drives. I have had a LOT of them (intermittent freezes, pixelation, macroblocking, and spontaneous reboots), and I have seen reports from several other users experiencing similar problems with the same drives. The problems are not continuous, and they seem to only happen on HD recordings. You never know when you will see them.

I have had my Freeagent Pro for over a year with no problems until recently. I am looking for a replacement now. Good luck.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #1605
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
I can confirm there are real problems with the newer software and at least some of the Freeagent Pro drives. I have had a LOT of them (intermittent freezes, pixelation, macroblocking, and spontaneous reboots), and I have seen reports from several other users experiencing similar problems with the same drives. The problems are not continuous, and they seem to only happen on HD recordings. You never know when you will see them.

I have had my Freeagent Pro for over a year with no problems until recently. I am looking for a replacement now. Good luck.
So your TiVo has upgraded to v9.4x correct? And this is the first time you've had problems?

Not to question your conclusion (well, I guess it is) but what makes you think/assume the issues are due to the FAP? Can you link to the posts from the other FAP owners that are having problems due to the latest upgrade?

Upgrades are notorious for causing a certain percentages of TiVo's to go crazy or die all together. Some are fixed with a hard reboot and others need more TLC, still others just die. (Replacing the hard drive seems to be the cure.)

So far v9.4x seems to have caused at least a few people problems...people with stock TiVo's, no eSATA drives, etc. Just wondering if it might be something else (my guess) or if indeed it has something to do with the FAP.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #1606
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Sorry, I cannot provide any more detailed information about how I know it is the new software. But I do. I worked with TiVo on the problems and was one of several people who helped them focus in on the FAP as the cause. TiVo finally told me to quit reporting the video issues until I removed the FAP! My point is that this is more than just TiVo not supporting the FAP or even wishing we did not use it. They believe it is a specific cause of the problems. Hope that helps, but I can't share any more info on it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #1607
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
Sorry, I cannot provide any more detailed information about how I know it is the new software. But I do. I worked with TiVo on the problems and was one of several people who helped them focus in on the FAP as the cause. TiVo finally told me to quit reporting the video issues until I removed the FAP! My point is that this is more than just TiVo not supporting the FAP or even wishing we did not use it. They believe it is a specific cause of the problems. Hope that helps, but I can't share any more info on it.
Understood and thanks. So if you (or someone in your situation) were to have problems and were to remove their FAP, things should return to normal? TIA.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #1608
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool Have not tried removing FAP yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Understood and thanks. So if you (or someone in your situation) were to have problems and were to remove their FAP, things should return to normal? TIA.
Yes, removing the FAP should clear it all up. I have not tried this yet, as I just have too many things recorded that I am not willing to loose yet (that is the downside of adding 750GB!). I am feverishly trying to work down through the stuff and get it transfered to DVD (the recordings that play well enough) so that I can pull the external drive and test the stock S3 before going to a different eSATA unit.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #1609
richsadams

Great...thanks very much...very good info!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #1610
greg_burns
Now in HD

More FAP info

From the TivoHD freeze thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
In very recent testing, multiple Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750gb drives were determined to write to disk slowly enough to cause performance problems. The drive also appears to have some type of basic incompatability with the SATA controller (throws out a lot of drive status CRC errors). This could be caused by a bad or flaky cable, or even electromagnetic noise on one or two drives, but we saw it across the board. Those problems have been there since day one but may not have been particularly noticeable to the customer.

If a problem arises during startup, the external drive might be detected as unsupported or not be recognized at all. Multiple restarts would likely get around the incompatability, but YMMV.

greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #1611
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Ah, good stuff. I haven't visited that thread for a while. Thanks for that!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #1612
alyssa

Thanks guys
I completed an internal upgrade from a stock 250 to a 750GB unit a half hour ago. Everything went smoothly thanks to the most excellent directions by bkdtv and WinMSF. My S3 was already on 9.4. The 750GB drive I decided on was a DB35.3 ST3750840SCE. It's a trifle louder than I thought it was gonna be but no biggie. I might be hearing the fan. I"m gonna let it run for a bit & see if my husband complains.

eta; It took just under two hours to transfer the full 250GB to the 750drive. I had the drives directly connected to the SATA ports on my mobo.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 08-01-2008 at 08:57 PM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #1613
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Thanks guys
I completed an internal upgrade from a stock 250 to a 750GB unit a half hour ago. Everything went smoothly thanks to the most excellent directions by bkdtv and WinMSF. My S3 was already on 9.4. The 750GB drive I decided on was a DB35.3 ST3750840SCE. It's a trifle louder than I thought it was gonna be but no biggie. I might be hearing the fan. I"m gonna let it run for a bit & see if my husband complains.

eta; It took just under two hours to transfer the full 250GB to the 750drive. I had the drives directly connected to the SATA ports on my mobo.
Just curious to how many hrs you have now.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #1614
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Thanks guys
I completed an internal upgrade from a stock 250 to a 750GB unit a half hour ago. <snip>
Well done! Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #1615
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Just curious to how many hrs you have now.
Either 93 or 93 hours of HD
eta-actually I ment to type "93 0r 98
The only things I would add to the directions is a bit about needing a long T10 wrench & a T15. the advanced auto parts # is nice but we don't have one around here so I picked something at walmart and of course it was too short.
But as roadblocks go that was a very small one.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 08-02-2008 at 06:33 PM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #1616
SAH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
I got the same message last night - I am still on 9.3. I have had the FAP 750 since the day the "unnoficial" esata connection was published. (it seems like at least a year). I have not had any problems.

Does this mean that when I get 9.4 I can expect to have problems? If that is the case it seems like the upgrade causing the problem, rather than the drive.
SAH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #1617
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH2 View Post
Does this mean that when I get 9.4 I can expect to have problems? If that is the case it seems like the upgrade causing the problem, rather than the drive.
From TivoJerry's post I it sounds like (some?) FAPs have been problematic all along. I assume 9.4 itself would run just as well as 9.3, but they are using this upgrade to "make it known" there are issues with FAPs. (Presumably to cut down on possible future support calls.)

That is all speculation on my part. There seems to be lots of people posting here saying their FAPs seemingly work just fine since day 1.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #1618
SeattleFred

I've had an FAP 750 running for several months, trouble-free. I'm still on 9.3. I got the message on 7/31/08.
SeattleFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #1619
sbessel
Reformed Geek

I have a S3 with the dreaded FAP eSATA drive, which has been running without issue for over 6 months...

My questions are:
  1. If I pull the drive will I just loose recordings?
    This I can handle, season passes and all my setup data would be bad.
  2. Can I still put in 'my choice' of eSata drives (yes besides the FAP)
    I have a 1tb Samsung and Antec case queued up and ready to go.
    I thought we lost this option a while back, but I have been out of the loop.
  3. Is this swap a long involved process or is it in the menu like I had before?

My wife's unit with a 1tb Hitachi and Antec case received the 9.4, but of
course now she is missing some HD channels.

Thanks!

TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (His) 500 gig eSata
TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (Hers) 1tb eSata
TiVo HD (2/16/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo HD (6/01/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo user since the Series1.
sbessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #1620
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbessel View Post
If I pull the drive will I just loose recordings?
Yes, just recordings.

Quote:
Can I still put in 'my choice' of eSata drives (yes besides the FAP)
I have a 1tb Samsung and Antec case queued up and ready to go.
I thought we lost this option a while back, but I have been out of the loop.
Yes. The KickStart is no longer an option, but is not needed with the menu option.

Quote:
Is this swap a long involved process or is it in the menu like I had before?
Should be Plug-N-Pray (ie use the menu) on an original S3 with the original 250GB internal drive. AFAIK. (If you have upgraded the internal drive, then you must marry the drive using WinMFS).