TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #1741
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post

It's also been true historically the smaller cities and towns had much better subscriber penetration than the larger cities. Small cities and towns generally have fewer broadcast stations, giving the people a greater incentive to subscribe, and it's also generally much easier and cheaper to build plant in smaller cities, giving the investors a greater incentive to build in those areas.
I'm from the other side of thecountry- but from visiting I beleive that -

Tempe isn't exactly a smaller city or town- it's basically a section of the greater Phoenix blob.

Pheonix, Tempe, Scotsdale, Mesa, Glendale, Chandler, etc are sort of like Manhatten, the Bronx, Queesn, Brooklyn, and Staten Island make up New York.

(except that NYC is divided by water, whereas the Pheonix blob is just a running grid that aside from different styles of street signs you would have no idea you aren't always in Pheonix proper.)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #1742
MichaelK

also- couldnt say for certain- but i suspect the "tempe" system has subs outside tempe and in Pheonix itself. My folks house is served by Cox and they are in pheonix- not all that far from tempe if I understand the border correctly.

For example- Verona and Oakland NJ are also on that list but I'm certain that they cover many towns from those head ends.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #1743
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Well while we're at it, "fora" is not a legitimate plural of forum.
It most certainly is. In the original Latin, the term "forum" was gender neuter and the Latin plural form for this type of declination replaced the "um" with "a". In short, the Latin plural of forum was fora. Most modern lexicologists consider either "fora" or "forums" to be acceptable. Which is more correct depends on which expert is being asked. I prefer "fora". It's easier on the ears, IMO. There are reasonable arguments on both sides to prefer one over the other, but none are in my estimation definitively compelling. Admittedly the argument for "fora" is not as unassailable as that for "aquaria" or "bacteria", the English norm being to add an "s" for words not ending in "ium", but there are many, many singular exceptions to the rule in any case, and the argument for taking this to be one is very much as strong as the argument for the plural of "fish" being "fish", if you ask me.

Quote:
perhaps the standard "forums" would be better.
'Or not. Since either is acceptable, I'll use the one which pleases me, thanks. You may feel free to correct me the next time you see me use the pronoun "I" as the object of a preposition, however.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #1744
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
In short, the Latin plural of forum was fora.
Turns out that here it is a couple thousand years later, and the universal English plural of "forum" is "forums" around the world, regardless of whether you can try to perform rationalization gymnastics and contortions. Hell, look it up at Answers.com, and you'll find that the only one of its many reference materials that even contains a reference to it is "Hacker Slang".
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #1745
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Turns out that here it is a couple thousand years later, and the universal English plural of "forum" is "forums" around the world, regardless of whether you can try to perform rationalization gymnastics and contortions. Hell, look it up at Answers.com, and you'll find that the only one of its many reference materials that even contains a reference to it is "Hacker Slang".
I've checked a number of actual dictionaries (the Random House College Dictionary on my desk, dictionary.com, merriam-webster.com) and they all list both "forums" and "fora", side by side, as plural forms of forum. It's proper English. (Both of the online dictionaries even have icons you can press to give an audio pronounciation of "fora").

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #1746
cableguy763

I think that things have been so slow in this thread lately that firekite had to find SOMETHING to argue with irhorer about. The proper use of fora was what he chose to harp on.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #1747
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
I think that things have been so slow in this thread lately
For obvious reasons. I made a half-hearted effort to see about enticing TWC to allow me to be a beta tester, but before I could get in touch with any of my contacts, we had some major technical fires - explosions, really - break out, and I haven't had a moment to take a breath since. Tomorrow looks light, perhaps even dead unless some of the folks in Moscow get some problems with my main engineering app fixed, so I might make an effort to call a couple of old friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
SOMETHING to argue with irhorer about.
Um, that's lrhorer, not irhorer, if you don't mind. The first initial of my given name is "L". 'Not that I'm offended, mind you. You clearly weren't trying to insult me, nor indeed would I take insult in any case, but my name is one of the few things I own outright. Everything else belongs to the bank.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #1748
cableguy763

No sleight intended with the name. I thought the lower case l was an i. My bad. I honestly do have respect for your knowledge of the cable industry .
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #1749
Firekite

No, there's not a lot of sleight on the fora.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #1750
jrm01

Quote:
No, there's not a lot of sleight on the fora.
Shouldn't that be "slights"?
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #1751
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Shouldn't that be "slights"?
I think you are right...
Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #1752
Firekite

Yes, thank you, that was the joke
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #1753
moyekj

At the risk of getting back on topic... I have been bugging my local cable co. (Cox, Orange County, CA) about the now certified tuning adapters. For a while I was getting nowhere with little to no feedback. Finally I think the message hit home and we are supposed to be getting an "official" letter sometime "soon" according to an email. If it's anything noteworthy I will post here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #1754
jcaudle

Tuning Adapter for SDV, Cox Fairfax

This is the inquiry that I sent to Cox Cable Northern Virginia, (Fairfax) and their. They are clueless and not helpful

Customer Inquiry: I am the owner of one Tivo System 3 and also a Tivo HD unit using cable card. With the impositon of Switched Digital Video (SDV) in the Fairfax we don't get the newer HD channels that have been added to the line up. Cable Labs is working with Motorola and Cisco in testing a Tuning adapter to be attached to the Tivo USB port to allow the tivo to be able to communicate with the head end of your system to be able to call up the newer channels. My question is when Cox Farifax will have the Cisco version of this adapter and by what means it will notify tivo owners when its availible. Thank you. Joseph J. Caudle

Dear Mr. Caudle:

Thank you for contacting our Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team.

We are aware of the adapters for the Tivo units. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any information available in regards to these adapters. Generally speaking any announcements we have to make are made on the bill each month in the What's New From Cox section of the bill. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you need additional information on other Cox products or services, please visit our web site at http://www.cox.com/fairfax We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

My name is Pamela

Thank you for choosing Cox Communications, Your Friend in the Digital Age!

Sincerely,

The Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #1755
lavajunk

Has anyone using any Cable provider seen one of the Tuning Adapters - that will allow Tivo Series 3 and Tivo HD owners to use SDV channels?

Just wondering what Time Warners response has been? I plan to contact them soon myself.
lavajunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #1756
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavajunk View Post
Has anyone using any Cable provider seen one of the Tuning Adapters - that will allow Tivo Series 3 and Tivo HD owners to use SDV channels?

Just wondering what Time Warners response has been? I plan to contact them soon myself.
At the end of June, I received a letter that TWC San Diego apparently sent to all CableCARD using subs, warning us of the incipient deployment of SDV (they throw the switch on Monday), listing the channels we'd be losing access to and telling us that the Tuning Adapter would be available "later this year", to CableCARD TiVo users and any other "customers with compatible UDCPs". I posted the entire thing back here.

I'd expect that TWC subs in other areas will receive something similar; a Cox Pheonix sub posted in another thread that he'd gotten such a letter from his provider (there's a link to that at the bottom of my post with the TWCSD letter).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #1757
SRanft

One of the many problems right now is TWC/Cox is not technically responsible for providing the SDV adapter. And right now, I have both my TiVo HD and TWC DVR hooked up so I can receive all the channels I subscribe to. But I am sick of having to switch from one to the other just because the TiVo can't get the channel and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the TWC DVR. It is the biggest POS of a tuner I have ever used with horribly inferior guide and recording software.

So, what I really want to know is, has anyone heard any info from TiVo or CableCARD about the release of the adapter? What will it cost? Are there going to be any extra fees involved to actually use it? Something besides the "Dangling Carrot" email TiVo sent way back in May?

I am sorry if someone has already asked these questions before, but there are so many non-related posts in this thread, I didn't have the patients to read them all. So I just skipped to the end.
SRanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #1758
bicker
Gruff

In the end, all the information you're looking for necessarily must come from TWC/Cox. Neither TiVo nor Cable Labs can provide that information for you.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #1759
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanft View Post
One of the many problems right now is TWC/Cox is not technically responsible for providing the SDV adapter.
Not sure what you mean by this phrase.

If you mean "technically not responsible" I would suggest otherwise. If it is going to be provided (which it apparently is) then they will be responsible for providing it.

If you meant "technically not required" then maybe you have a point. However, the cable companies are being pressured to come up with a solution and this is the one that they have chosen.

BTW, based on several reports the costs for these may be very nominal.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #1760
lavajunk

OK - I read that these Tuner Adapters are out and were on display at the Cable show earlier this year ( http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-05/...-in-the-flesh/) - not sure how reliable that info is, but it seems to be mentioned at other sites also.

Per this web site ( http://www.cedmagazine.com/CableLabs...DV-tuners.aspx ) Cablelabs have certified both the Motorola and Cisco Tuner Adapters.

I read elsewhere the COX planned to provide them free of charge, but TW (oh yeah the lovely TW) stated it was too early to comment.

So I was just wondering if anyone had seen these things out yet?

BTW - TW in Rochester was one of the test markets for SDV and they have been using SDV since at least last Nov and all the new channels they have added since then are SDV. I'm looking forward to being able to access all the channels available (well except the on demand - which really isn't such a big deal for me personally).
lavajunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #1761
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

lavajunk, articles on the announcements that you cited have been posted and discussed in this thread either on or before the day that those sites posted them or soon thereafter.

When you visit a thread, don't assume that news on the topic from weeks back hasn't already been shared and discussed. Before posting stuff like that, you should try to use the thread search function (a link labelled "Search this Thread" near the top of a page of posts). For instance, searching the thread for "the cable show" (with quotes), reveals that there are nine posts which contain that phrase, the earliest being this one from May 18th, linking to an article at Engadget, discussing Motorola's Tuning Adapter display at the show (with a bunch of pictures of it). A search for "+certified +Tuning" (no quotes) gets you six hits, one of which is this from July 18th, which gives a link to a Multichannel News article announcing the certification. If you don't find anything on your first search, don't give up--search for a few different related terms.

As for whether anyone has seen one "in the wild" yet, watch this space . If someone participating or monitoring this thread either gets one or sees a report online from someone who got one, they're sure to post about it.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #1762
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanft View Post
One of the many problems right now is TWC/Cox is not technically responsible for providing the SDV adapter. And right now, I have both my TiVo HD and TWC DVR hooked up so I can receive all the channels I subscribe to. But I am sick of having to switch from one to the other just because the TiVo can't get the channel and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the TWC DVR. It is the biggest POS of a tuner I have ever used with horribly inferior guide and recording software.

So, what I really want to know is, has anyone heard any info from TiVo or CableCARD about the release of the adapter? What will it cost? Are there going to be any extra fees involved to actually use it? Something besides the "Dangling Carrot" email TiVo sent way back in May?
TiVo will not be providing these adapters and they will not be for sale. They've modified their firmware to work with them but the devices will be distributed by individual cable providers.

One problem with selling them is that they are cable system hardware and software specific. I think that there are currently three different systems for switched broadcast in use by various providers around the country and there are two main cable network equipment providers who have created Tuning Adapters and neither of these will work on networks based on the other company's equipment.

As I stated in this post a few back, my cable provider, Time Warner Cable of San Diego, has sent out a letter informing CableCARD users that they'll be losing some channels due to the deployment of SDV (as an apology, they offered 6 months free use of a cable STB or up-to-2 CableCARDs). Others with different cable providers in other cities have posted that they've received similar letters.

Though I feel your pain, I doubt that anyone will roll these things out to their subscribers much before mid-Fall.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #1763
MichaelK

I suspect anyone that has one of the adapters in their living room currently is under an NDA. So you might not hear from them for a while until the beta testing is done.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #1764
mklitt

Big Grin

What about answering my question about who I can write to be on the Beta testing list?

I get this discussion delivered to me via e-mail regularly and I have to page through your quibbling and parsing other people's sentences and showing off and yet never managing to give any useful information or respond on point to questions. Can you spell T-R-O-L-L?

I have had my Tivo OVER ONE YEAR, not several years. It just feels like several years after the SDV problem. And yes I can name more than five channels, but happily I do not have to answer your questions and PLEASE do not answer mine.

Could someone with real info give me an address or a good number to call. Thank you very much.
mklitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #1765
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone View Post
Plus: apparently Comcast will not be doing widespread SDV before 2010.
Maybe not widespread, but they did announce that they will add Minneapolis and St. Paul this year.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #1766
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklitt View Post
Can you spell T-R-O-L-L?
M-K-L-I-T-T
Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #1767
MichaelK

Quote:
What about answering my question about who I can write to be on the Beta testing list?

Could someone with real info give me an address or a good number to call. Thank you very much.

tivo's website has a place to sign up for their beta program.

But from a few comments in this thread with info that cable csr's have passed along, I get the impression that the cable company's will be running the beta tests. So I think you want to call your cable provider to check on that- if you can get the number for the local head end engineers that would probably be your best hope I would guess. Might want to try escalating your concerns with the national cable mothership but i dont think any normal frontline CSR at a cable 800# will have a clue or the ability to get your name to the right people.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #1768
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Maybe not widespread, but they did announce that they will add Minneapolis and St. Paul this year.

that's interesting.

I thought their current plan to increase bandwidth was to go all digital with their new cheapo converter boxes for the basic analog tier.

I guess they are trying a variety of things.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #1769
jrm01

Quote:

The Beta areas will probably be chosen by the cable companies head offices, but I would imagine the beta users would be selected by the local office. So I would begin there. Of course, I wouldn't start with a CSR.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #1770
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
that's interesting.

I thought their current plan to increase bandwidth was to go all digital with their new cheapo converter boxes for the basic analog tier.

I guess they are trying a variety of things.
Their big intitiative appears to be the DTA boxes, but they are still testing the SDV soluton also.