TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #1531
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
It looks like he already has an external drive upgrade and that section assumes a new external drive upgrade. Not a problem other than the loss of existing recordings on the large external drive when he re-adds it to the new internal drive. So, it looks like the TiVo Desktop method is his only option for preserving them.
Exactly.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #1532
analog4

Any problems with using a Seagate ST31000340NS (Barracuda ES.2 1TB)?
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #1533
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4 View Post
Any problems with using a Seagate ST31000340NS (Barracuda ES.2 1TB)?
AFAIK you'd be the first to try this particular model but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. Although it's an enterprise class (server oriented) drive, unlike other Barracuda's the seek specs (2.5 to 2.7) are fairly quiet. The only downside I see is the cost...a number of other models can be purchased for less (especially when they are on sale). But if you have one lying around it seems like it should do the trick.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #1534
analog4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
AFAIK you'd be the first to try this particular model but I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work. Although it's an enterprise class (server oriented) drive, unlike other Barracuda's the seek specs (2.5 to 2.7) are fairly quiet. The only downside I see is the cost...a number of other models can be purchased for less (especially when they are on sale). But if you have one lying around it seems like it should do the trick.

Let us know how it goes!
The downside is cost - but mine would be free.

I figure I'll do the switch once I get my CableCard issue fixed, and I can clear off the existing programming - a few shows. Nothing a Saturday morning can't take care of. I'll read over the WinMFS stuff before I ask any specific questions. I plan to do a backup of the TiVo drive, then put the contents of my current TiVo drive to a 1TB, and I may use the MfsSuperSize option (still thinking about it).

Last edited by analog4 : 07-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.
analog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #1535
richsadams

Free is (usually) good!

Between bkdtv's excellent first post on this thread and Spike's more than excellent free program at MFSLive.org, you should have no problems.

BTW, MFS SuperSize is a no-brainer...simply two additional clicks to gain some additional recording space.

I always recommend keeping the original TiVo drive on the shelf JIC. If something goes south you can always pop it back in to get things up and running once more.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #1536
efreedenburg

Hi

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD
antec mx1 with Hitachi Deskstar 1000Gb HDS721010KLA330
and a seagate free agent pro 750 gig

With the MX-1 Hitachi combo after about 30 minutes Tivo will reboot or hang or pixilate with the mx1 and Hitachi. It is unwatchable.

Divorce the esata everything runs perfectly.

Plug in the Seagate and it runs perfectly for 3 weeks until I received the rma'd Hitachi drive.

Installed the rmna'd drive in the mx-1 and what do you know?

The new drive exhibits the exact the same problems, reboots freezes and pixilation.

I have run the Hitachi advanced tests on the bare drive and it passes all tests.

Ran the tests in the mx-1 and it fails.

Soo, I plug in the Seagate Free Agent and everything is fine now for the last 8 days.

Please help would like to use the Mx-1 and Hitachi Deskstar.

Thanks for listening
Ed
efreedenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #1537
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreedenburg View Post
Ran the tests in the mx-1 and it fails.
Did you have it connected via USB or eSata to your PC while testing? Maybe try a new eSata cable, or get a replacement mx-1? Somebody reported here before that Antec was very helpful with exchanging theirs.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #1538
husky55

@efreedenburg,

I have the Hitachi and MX-1 and they work fine. The problem is in the MX-1 or esata cable since you already had 2 Hitachi HD used with the same problem.

It's strange that the Seagate FreeAgent works for you.

May be you could use a different computer to marry the drives i.e. run Winmfs.

I had a weird failure of the Tivo box itself and was pulling my hair out figuring what could have gone wrong.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #1539
efreedenburg

Will try to get RMA for the mx-1.

Could someone post the Feature Tool settings for their working Hitachi Drive, maybe something is messed up with power management or cache etc. The mx-1 combo will run fine for about 30 minutes then goes beserk.

I have not set anything in in Feature Tool, but maybe something is different.

Thanks Again
Ed
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #1540
Flyinace2000

Any changes for TivoHD users in 9.4 (can we use non approved eSATA drives?)
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #1541
richsadams

Quote:
Will try to get RMA for the mx-1.

Could someone post the Feature Tool settings for their working Hitachi Drive, maybe something is messed up with power management or cache etc. The mx-1 combo will run fine for about 30 minutes then goes beserk.

I have not set anything in in Feature Tool, but maybe something is different.

Thanks Again
Ed
Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your eSATA drive. I agree with Greg and Husky, your issues have all the earmarks of a bad eSATA cable or enclosure. If it's the enclosure it's likely something to do with the bridge. Since the problem occurs about a half-hour after connecting it, it's probably something heat/chip related which makes me suspect the enclosure more than a cable. A new MX-1 should do the trick. (It comes with a cable anyway.)

Here's the Hitachi Feature Tool link.

FWIW, to avoid confusion when describing your TiVo, this is commonly called a TiVo HD and this is commonly called a TiVo Series3. Both are labeled as Series3's, but it can be confusing if you say "Series 3 HD."

Good luck and let us know how things go.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #1542
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post
Any changes for TivoHD users in 9.4 (can we use non approved eSATA drives?)
I can't say for sure...haven't received the update yet...but my money says no. TiVo was kind enough to let us skate on the P&P eSATA options with the Series3. It was never intended to be that way but the secret about how to do it leaked out and they saw fit to accommodate a lot of us. They also surmised that there would be issues if that happened and this thread more than confirms their suspicions. IMHO they made a wise business decision locking down the TiVo HD's. Not that I like it, but I can understand their desire to control support issues;not having to deal with every imaginable configuration we crazies might come up with.

So long story longer, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything but a TiVo approved drive to be connected via plug and pray when it comes to the TiVo HD. Mind you, I'd like to be proven wrong.

That said, you can of course follow the directions on the very first post of this sticky thread to connect unauthorized drives if you're comfortable opening up your TiVo and using WinMFS to conduct a marriage ceremony. Consensus has it that you might as well just upgrade the TiVo HD's OEM drive if you're going to go to the trouble though.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #1543
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
FWIW, to avoid confusion when describing your TiVo, this is commonly called a TiVo HD and this is commonly called a TiVo Series3. Both are labeled as Series3's, but it can be confusing if you say "Series 3 HD."
+1

You can no longer tell what hardware anyone is talking about.

I prefer TivoHD and S3. But there is no consistency, especially with new users that don't even know there was/is an earlier Series 3.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #1544
Flyinace2000

Next time i see a 750gb or 1TB drive on sale i might jump on it. Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #1545
richsadams

750GB is the sweet spot when it comes to $$ per gig right now. You can find them on sale at places like newegg.com for under $100 these days.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #1546
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
...users that don't even know there was/is an earlier Series 3.
Or that some of us spent $500 more to buy one when it first came out!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #1547
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...The mx-1 combo will run fine for about 30 minutes then goes beserk...
Can you verify the fan is spinning in the MX-1?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #1548
Flyinace2000

yeah i just bought 4 750gb drives for my file server (90 bucks each). Next hard drive sale i see i am gonna jump on it for the Tivo.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #1549
richsadams

Quote:
Even if the fan isn't spinning I wouldn't think that that it would heat up to the point of failure in 30 minutes. The FAP's (and some others folks are using) don't have a fan at all and although they have had a bit of a checkered past it seems that most of them are still functioning okay. The fan in my MX-1 was certainly helpful, but it's pretty light weight...makes me think that if it quit it would take quite a while to reach 55c+ degrees if ever. That's not to say that overheating couldn't be an issue, but in that short time period I'd still lean more toward a chip or connection issue. In any case, hopefully a replacement will clear up the OP's troubles.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 AM   #1550
c3
TiVoholic

A plastic enclosure really needs to have a working fan, especially for the Hitachi drive which uses 5 platters. Even if the drive itself works fine, a marginal USB-SATA bridge chip may not be able to take the additional heat, with or without the fan.

Personally, I prefer a fanless aluminum enclosure with a low temperature drive such as the WD GP.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #1551
efreedenburg

Quote:
The fan is spinning. Just got an email from Antec for an RMA. When I get the replacement mx-1 I'll post in this thread.

Free Agent Pro still working fine as it did for about a year before purchasing the mx-1.

I still would like to see someones 'Feature Tool' settings for a working Hitachi Deskstar.

I don't need a link to the 'Feature Tool Software' I need the working settings.

Thanks All
Ed
Old 07-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #1552
husky55

Quote:
The fan is spinning. Just got an email from Antec for an RMA. When I get the replacement mx-1 I'll post in this thread.

Free Agent Pro still working fine as it did for about a year before purchasing the mx-1.

I still would like to see someones 'Feature Tool' settings for a working Hitachi Deskstar.

I don't need a link to the 'Feature Tool Software' I need the working settings.

Thanks All
Ed
1. My Hitachi Deskstar is attached to my Tivo right now so I cannot post any Hitachi Feature tool settings or picture. But I did notice in the FAQs that Hitachi Deskstar were kind of noisy, so although my Hitachi was not listed in the FAQ (it's a newer model with pretty good HD tune readings but not as good as my WD6400AAKS in my desktop) I did use the feature tool to set the AAM to 128 for both the WD and the Hitachi. Tivo do not need all the speed so I am looking quietness and efficiency.

I left other settings at the factory defaults.

2. The Antec MX-1 keeps the drive cooler than many computer cases as reported in Anandtech.com in the storage forum. I believe the average HD temps in the MX-1 was between 30-37C depending on the HD and the ambient temp. So again Rich was right about the temp of the HD when the fan was not working. But the fan was working for you.

3. The fan in the MX-1 is the only noise audible when the HD AAM were set at 128 (lowest scale in the feature tool) and pushes out cool air, not warm to the touch. So I doubt if heat was the issue here.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #1553
begold

WD eSata My DVR Costco

Costco is offering the WD My DVR 500 GB online for $139.00 with free shipping ... Best price I have seen
begold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #1554
jojimailbox

External 1T drives?

Hi guys,

I saw the opening FAQ and list of recommended drives. When I saw the external drive list, I was surprised there was only 1 listed- the My Expander model from WD.

I was wondering if there's been any success with the WD Studio Edition WDH1Q10000N or any other for that matter. I saw Amazon selling it for $239 and figure it might be a good price for not having to deal with purchasing an enclosure. I don't want to deal with making the drive internal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

JT
jojimailbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #1555
husky55

@JT,

Are you talking about S3 or TivoHD?

WD My Expander DVR 500GB is the only PNP HD for TivoHD. The S3 is more adaptable to other ESata drives.

Some WD External HDs are NOT recommended because of incompatibility problem, strange but true.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #1556
jojimailbox

Hi Huksy,

sorry, that would have been helpful huh? I'm still new to writing in forums . I am talking about S3. The other 1T external drive I've seen is Seagate ST310005FPA1E3-RK. If anyone knows of successfully using an external drive (a drive that already comes with its own enclosure) please let us know

thanks!

Edit: Sorry, I found a thread from back in Jan/Feb 08 where someone tried the Seagate external drive. Sounds like it was successful for at least the 24 hours he reported. I'm going to try messaging him to see how things are going still. Maybe this is the one?? Newegg is selling it for $229 with free shipping!

Edit#2: OMG, I thought I was going crazy. After reviewing the first page FAQ, I all of a sudden come to one where there's mention of external drives. Well, after going back to what I had found I realized there are TWO threads on drive expansion:
1. Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ + Discussion
2. Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion in 8.x: FAQ + Discussion

damn, I was soooo confused. LOL

OK, I think after looking at both threads, I might actually go with getting an internal drive and enclosure instead of drive and enclosure right out of the box. For one, it sounds like the former is tried and tested thoroughly. 2nd, if you go the 750 route, you can upgrade to 1T in the future and install the 750 into the Tivo or use it in a desktop computer. Simply more flexibility.

If for some reason I go the self contained external drive route, I'll let you guys know how it goes

Last edited by jojimailbox : 07-18-2008 at 06:47 PM.
jojimailbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:05 AM   #1557
richsadams

Fry's is currently offering the Western Digital 1TB GP drive for $169 (a very good price) for a limited time. This drive will work as an external drive for the Series3, but NOT as an internal upgrade. (It will work as an internal upgrade for TiVo HD's however.)

Amazon is offering the recommended Antec MX-1 enclosure for $38.40 (also a very good price) w/free shipping.

The combination of the two are ideal for creating an expansion drive for the Series3.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #1558
rjspring

Is that the same drive as this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16822136151)? I'm looking to upgrade to a TivoHD in the upcoming months and would gladly change out the internal drive for a 1TB.

I was able to find the WD AV-GP @ Amazon for $230, but read your post on the Tivo not being able to take advantage of all the features - would it be better than to go with the WD10EACS?
rjspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #1559
RS4

Quote:
Fry's is currently offering the Western Digital 1TB GP drive for $169 (a very good price) for a limited time. This drive will work as an external drive for the Series3, but NOT as an internal upgrade. (It will work as an internal upgrade for TiVo HD's however.)

Amazon is offering the recommended Antec MX-1 enclosure for $38.40 (also a very good price) w/free shipping.

The combination of the two are ideal for creating an expansion drive for the Series3.

I have a Tivo HD. It looks like reading the first post that Tivo is still only supporting 500 gig for the external drive. Would I be able to just plug the Western Digital drive that you mentioned into the Antec and get 500 gig or would I have to follow the instructions in part III - 10? I'm just trying to figure out if I really have to pull things apart to take advantage of the 1TB. As you can probably tell, I hate messing with hardware. I did order the Antec you mentioned, and I now have to figure out what hdd to get.
Thanks
RS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #1560
moxie1617

You are going to have to do it the hard way with the Tivo HD. Only the original S3 is plug and play.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote