TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #5491
RandallW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallW View Post
Spoke too soon. Not receiving all my channels, just 1-34, and 702-712. =P On the phone with them now, blah.
Well I scheduled for a tech to come out, after 3 unsuccessful calls with them (including one humorous, yet frustrating call with a tech with a heavy Indian accent, who at first questioned why I was calling Comcast, because he said I had a TiVo....). I starting looking through the manual this morning while waiting around, and saw an interesting page that tells about signal strengths. I decided to check it out and see what it would show on the channels that I wasn't' receiving, and as soon as I checked out one of those channels, it magically came to life! No clue if that's a hot fix for something, but everything's working now, and I don't have to pay their ridiculous $16.95 for a tech now.
RandallW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #5492
cluelesspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallW View Post
Well I scheduled for a tech to come out, after 3 unsuccessful calls with them (including one humorous, yet frustrating call with a tech with a heavy Indian accent, who at first questioned why I was calling Comcast, because he said I had a TiVo....). I starting looking through the manual this morning while waiting around, and saw an interesting page that tells about signal strengths. I decided to check it out and see what it would show on the channels that I wasn't' receiving, and as soon as I checked out one of those channels, it magically came to life! No clue if that's a hot fix for something, but everything's working now, and I don't have to pay their ridiculous $16.95 for a tech now.
not so fast.. check your Cable Card Diagnostic Screen. Under the CP Menu check to see if BOTH cards show up as AUTHORIZED or show Waiting for CP Authorization.
cluelesspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #5493
tetranz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesspa View Post
Wasnt Bad? your experience was GREAT! wow did you call 800 Comcast? wonder which call center you get when you call... because you get routed to the call center for your area?

the Pittsburgh Comcast Call center is "clueless" about anything to do with pairing or authorizing cable cards. plus in my case I was previous Adelphia customer so different system on top of that...

glad you had a good experience... they had to Pair (or tie the HOST ID of the TIVO to the particular cable card) to allow it to acess the encrypted channels (you probably saw no ECMs previously on the CP menu of the Cable Card)... I guess you get decryption OK on the CP menu when paired properly AND tuning in an encrypted channel now....
Yes to all that. I'm in Southern New Hampshire and called 1-800-Comcast and choose the "trouble with your service" option. I feel quite fortunate compared to what others have had to go through. I think telling them that the CP cable card screen said "Waiting for CP Authorization" helped, at least with the second and third people I spoke to, and the fact that I obviously knew my way around the Tivo screens. There was never any suggestion of needing another visit. The immediate response was "I can help with that".

Good luck!
Ross
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #5494
tooalto

Angry Anyone else have our experience??

We have a series 2 HD DVR from Tivo with lifetime service. Love it, love it! It only took five or six calls to Comcast and two tech trips but it was up and running beautifully for the two months we've had it. On Jun.17 we woke up to find we had no HD or digital preferred channels. Nothing above channel 71 and what we had below 71 only showed about 8 channels where they actually should be, i.e., channel 54 should be Food Network and the Tivo guide was correct but the video was A&E. So it goes for the rest the the basic tier channels. There are several which are dupes and several missing. We were told comcast was doing an upgrade in our area (NE PA) and the problem should clear up as soon as the upgrade was complete. Well, a week and a half later, still no luck. We had a tech here Friday for 2 hrs. who replaced our M card and gave us all new cable wire. Tues.a supervisor was to come but instead we got two more techs who had no clue and spent another 2 hrs putting in new cards. They spoke with the superviosr, via cellphone, while I was sitting right in the room, verified that i would be able to be home all day Wednesday (yesterday) and said the supervisor would be out then. Well, I sat all day, no supervisor, no phone call. I finally called comcast at 5, said I wanted to see the supervisor in the 2 hour window I have at home today. This message was given right to a call center supe. who tried to reach the area tech supe. He was not able to but, supposedly, left voicemail and email messages.
The techs who were here Tuesday said they personally knew of at least 2 other Tivo customers in the area who had the same problem after their "upgrade" so we're not alone.
has anyone else experienced this and what was done to correct it? We have $500 worth of equipment and service which is basically useless to us.
tooalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #5495
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooalto View Post
We have a series 2 HD DVR from Tivo with lifetime service. Love it, love it! It only took five or six calls to Comcast and two tech trips but it was up and running beautifully for the two months we've had it. On Jun.17 we woke up to find we had no HD or digital preferred channels. Nothing above channel 71 and what we had below 71 only showed about 8 channels where they actually should be, i.e., channel 54 should be Food Network and the Tivo guide was correct but the video was A&E. So it goes for the rest the the basic tier channels. There are several which are dupes and several missing. We were told comcast was doing an upgrade in our area (NE PA) and the problem should clear up as soon as the upgrade was complete. Well, a week and a half later, still no luck. We had a tech here Friday for 2 hrs. who replaced our M card and gave us all new cable wire. Tues.a supervisor was to come but instead we got two more techs who had no clue and spent another 2 hrs putting in new cards. They spoke with the superviosr, via cellphone, while I was sitting right in the room, verified that i would be able to be home all day Wednesday (yesterday) and said the supervisor would be out then. Well, I sat all day, no supervisor, no phone call. I finally called comcast at 5, said I wanted to see the supervisor in the 2 hour window I have at home today. This message was given right to a call center supe. who tried to reach the area tech supe. He was not able to but, supposedly, left voicemail and email messages.
The techs who were here Tuesday said they personally knew of at least 2 other Tivo customers in the area who had the same problem after their "upgrade" so we're not alone.
has anyone else experienced this and what was done to correct it? We have $500 worth of equipment and service which is basically useless to us.
The BOTTOM LINE to all of this is Comcast DVR's use the same
CableCards. Therefore if Comcast DVRs are working the TiVo
Should work. There is no difference.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #5496
tooalto

But the comcast boxes aren't working either!!!
tooalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #5497
btwyx
Substantive Member

Interesting, a guy at work needed Cable cards for his new TiVo HD. Support told him he could pick up the cards at the local office, or it'd be an $80 installation charge. I expressed surprise as I didn't think Comcast around here let you do that, they didn't the last time I tried (about a year ago).

But he came back later with 2 multistream cards he'd picked up from a Comcast office on El Camino in Sunnyvale. I mentioned he should only need one of the 2 M cards.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #5498
vrooje

Hi all,

First post here. Trying to read this thread but wow -- talk about intimidatingly long.

We have been having intermittent problems with our dual-tuner HD TiVo from the first time we installed it (we got it for Christmas). Sometimes the CableCards work perfectly, and other times they won't play the programming on premium channels like HBO and Encore. It seems like the cards are randomly in "on" or "off" states with regards to premium channels, and I don't think they're both always in the same state.

I have called Comcast (in Connecticut) repeatedly about this, and had several service calls. Since the problem is random, the techs sometimes don't see any problems while they're at my house, and other times they get it to work and leave, but the problem comes back an hour later.

My last service call-out was infuriating. Comcast sent the only local person who is supposed to be an "expert" in fixing CableCard problems. Of course, the cards were working perfectly when he arrived, so he had no problems to troubleshoot. While he was flipping channels and trying to make the problem recur, he told me that Comcast was basically never going to really support CableCards, and that most of the cards they used didn't work. He said that about 1 in 10 cards worked perfectly and the rest had problems, and that because I had two cards installed, that meant I had a 1 in 100 chance of ever having a system work perfectly. I said that that wasn't acceptable because I pay extra to have these channels, and because Comcast is legally required to support CableCards. He just shrugged and said that didn't matter because Comcast was coming out with its own TiVo-branded system and so they didn't intend to support CableCards on non-Comcast systems.

We went back and forth for a few minutes and I finally said that at least I was trying to establish a pattern of technical problems so that there would be a record of it when I finally wrote a letter asking for a refund of the premium channel subscription. He just shrugged again and said, "yeah, right... good luck with that." He was so negative and at the same time so apathetic that I eventually just told him to leave.

Although the frequency of problems has recently lessened somewhat, we still only have intermittent service on our premium channels, and even some non-premium HD channels. I could ask for another useless service call just to have the ping on my record that I reported a problem -- but I'm hoping there is another solution. If I write a letter to Comcast and send copies to the FCC and TiVo, will that help? If I call TiVo first and ask them to initiate a conference call (bearing in mind that my cards work fine for most channels), will they do anything?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have had these problems and I apologize for asking about it again... perhaps you could just point me to a page from this thread so I don't have to go reading all 185 pages?
vrooje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 AM   #5499
jmpage2

You should have gotten it recorded with hidden camera. Then his ass would have gotten fired.

I agree that Comcast is pretty pathetic. Monopolies tend to breed such attitudes.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #5500
tombakken

Only Network HD channels

I had my comcast cable install yesterday (part of cable/phone/internet install) , here in Beekman, NY. I have the Tivo HD DRV. The Tech installed a multistream cablecard and all seemed to be ok. I tried to be vigilant and made sure that both tuners were working. And that I could get my HD channels. I checked the first few in the 500+ channel range, where all the HD channels are and all seemed well. Of course, after the tech left I found that I was only getting the network HD channels and not the other HD channels. The funny thing is when I check the channel signal strength for those channels they all seem to be good. Just no picture.
The tech is coming t-row, but is there anyone else who has had similar problem or can suggest what the problem may be?

Tom
tombakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #5501
cluelesspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooje View Post
We have been having intermittent problems with our dual-tuner HD TiVo from the first time we installed it (we got it for Christmas). Sometimes the CableCards work perfectly, and other times they won't play the programming on premium channels like HBO and Encore. It seems like the cards are randomly in "on" or "off" states with regards to premium channels, and I don't think they're both always in the same state.

Have you checked your Cable Card diagnostic screen on EACH cable card when the problems are occurring? the one cable card menu item in the TIVO will say if the CP Menu (i think) is authorized. I wonder if one or both cards are losing authorization when this occurs. you can also narrow down if it is card 1 or card 2 or both cards having the issue.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #5502
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
So this is what we're up against. It's almost comical.

http://gettingacablecard.jottit.com/2008.06.23
Does Comcast.Rep even pass the Turing Test?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #5503
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm on the phone with Comcast now:

Me: I'd like to order cablecards for my tivo.
Them: Uh, I'll transfer you to someone else.

me to new person: Me: I'd like to order cablecards for my tivo.
Them: Uh.. ok. How many cards do you need?

(Me thinking): Aren't you suppoed to know and tell me this?

Me: Well I have one tivo and there are two slots. I think I read that I need two S cards or one M card?
Them: S card? M card? err...uh.. Hold on please.

(still on hold).

This is why I waited. They still don't know anything about it?
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #5504
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
They came back and told me they have S cards only. I told them that I would need 2, but the installer should bring more than 2 in case one is defective.

My appointment is next Saturday 11-3.

Anyone up for a prop bet as to whether or not this will be a smooth and easy install that will leave me with a properly operating system?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #5505
cluelesspa

if you have the Tivo HD you only need ONE M card

if you have the Tivo S3 HD you need two cards. two M or two S cards. it will only use each card in S Mode.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #5506
Garak

Thought I'd pop in and mention that if you're given a choice, I suggest trying to get an M card, at least in Scientific Atlanta markets. My installer told me he's never seen an M-card installation go poorly, and he's never seen an S-card installation go well. My own anecdotal evidence supports this, as my M-card installation went perfectly, while a friend's S-card installation was an epic failure even after hours of the tech's time. He got an M-card a few days later and everything went smoothly.

This isn't to say S-cards never work, but when dealing with Comcast you want to leave as little as possible to chance

Last edited by Garak : 07-06-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #5507
aaronwt
HD Addict

We are in a Scientific Atlanta market and my last CC install from Comcast went the fastest I've ever seen. The Comcast tech installed both cards at the same time which I thought might cause a problem, but to my surprise he had everything working from both cards in a few minutes.(I still did not let the tech touch the TiVo remote. I naviagted through the menus myself)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #5508
squint

I got my first Tivo, an HD model, about 3 weeks ago. The first thing I did was put a 1 tb Western Digital in it. The Tivo's 160 gb drive is now living happily in my PC. The upgrade went smoothly and quickly.

I've been a Comcast analog cable and cable modem customer for about 3 years in the Denver area. I like using the online chat at odd hours when I need to communicate with Comcast. There's never a wait so that's how I placed my order. I told them I wanted HD and had a Tivo so I'd need cablecards.

The installation was scheduled for Saturday. The tech showed up with a bunch of different cablecards and wasn't afraid to consult the cablecard install guide. He also checked my cable modem and found that the signal level was off and fixed it. The cablecard worked from the start though I got 161-38 errors for the first few hours.

Overall, everything's gone remarkably smoothly with the Tivo and Comcast.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #5509
cybah
Tivo Addict

Went Pretty Darn Smoothly (Boston, MA)

I had to post my experience with Comcast on here. I am in the City of Boston in Massachussets

On 7/5 I purchase my Tivo HD with Lifetime. That night I called Comcast to order the CableCard and setup the truck roll.

I called 1-800-COMCAST, went thru the menus for changing my service on the Cable TV side. I talked to a nice lady who said she couldn't help me, but said she would transfer me to a department that could. I waited on hold for someone for about 5 minutes. Then I spoke to a very nice lady at Comcast who helped me out.

I told the lady what I needed, either a 2 Single Stream Cards or 1 Dual Stream Card. She knew exactly what I was talking about. She setup the appointment for Wednesday 7/9 (today) for the truck roll.

Then we talked about packages. This is where its a scam with comcast. If I just keep my "Digital Starter Package", I will only get the local HD Stations, and no additional stations (like Discovery HD). So I had to upgrade to Digital Bronze. But the CableCard rental is cheaper than the box rental (for the standard Digital Service, not the HD Box), so it might just balance out to be the same price. (the cablecard is 5 bucks vs the 7.95 for the Digital Box, and 10.95 for the HD box)

So today (7/9), the Comcast installer shows up (mind you shows up at within the last 5 minutes of the window they gave me). He comes with ONLY dual stream cards (he brought 5 of them). Looks like he hasnt done many of these installs, as he kept asking me questions. It appeared that Comcast now has people on the other end that know about Tivos, and the guy was giving them instructions.

It went pretty smoothly. The first card worked out of the box. It took the installer a few minutes to get it working with the guy on the phone, but it works as expected. I get all the channels I am suppose to (athough I havent scanned thru ALL of them yet) He was outta here in 15 mins, said it was the smoothest Tivo installation he's had yet (said he did one yesterday that was a 2 hour visit!!), but also said it helped that I was ready for the card.

Other than that.. went pretty darn smoothly.

"If its not on Tivo, its not worth watching!"
cybah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #5510
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
They came back and told me they have S cards only. I told them that I would need 2, but the installer should bring more than 2 in case one is defective.

My appointment is next Saturday 11-3.

Anyone up for a prop bet as to whether or not this will be a smooth and easy install that will leave me with a properly operating system?
So I called Comcast this evening to confirm my appointment tomorrow. I spoke with one person, got disconnected, called back and talked to someone else.

1) They had absolutely no record of my appointment tomorrow. None. No notes in the file, nothing about cablecards, nothing at all.

2) Both people I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about when I said I wanted cablecards installed in my Tivo; both asked how many I needed; neither knew what I meant when I said two S or one M.

I hung up in frustration. I will not be waiting at home tomorrow during the designated time (odds on them showing up?)

Eff you Comcast. I'll wait 6 months.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #5511
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
2) Both people I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about when I said I wanted cablecards installed in my Tivo; both asked how many I needed; neither knew what I meant when I said two S or one M.

I hung up in frustration. I will not be waiting at home tomorrow during the designated time (odds on them showing up?)

Eff you Comcast. I'll wait 6 months.
I have had great luck with Comcast here.

How is that possible? I own the responsibility.

I call and order the CableCards I want. I don't provide
any more info than I need ONE "M" CableCard - as an
Example. I never tell them what it is going in. It does
not matter. They are required to provide what you ASK for.

FYI - I have 6 DVRs [from various Manufacturers] with
CableCards. Some DVRs need "S" and some Need "M"
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #5512
jjp007

Quote:
Hi all,

First post here. Trying to read this thread but wow -- talk about intimidatingly long.

I have called Comcast (in Connecticut) repeatedly about this, and had several service calls. Since the problem is random, the techs sometimes don't see any problems while they're at my house, and other times they get it to work and leave, but the problem comes back an hour later.

My last service call-out was infuriating. Comcast sent the only local person who is supposed to be an "expert" in fixing CableCard problems. Of course, the cards were working perfectly when he arrived, so he had no problems to troubleshoot. While he was flipping channels and trying to make the problem recur, he told me that Comcast was basically never going to really support CableCards, and that most of the cards they used didn't work. He said that about 1 in 10 cards worked perfectly and the rest had problems, and that because I had two cards installed, that meant I had a 1 in 100 chance of ever having a system work perfectly. I said that that wasn't acceptable because I pay extra to have these channels, and because Comcast is legally required to support CableCards. He just shrugged and said that didn't matter because Comcast was coming out with its own TiVo-branded system and so they didn't intend to support CableCards on non-Comcast systems.

We went back and forth for a few minutes and I finally said that at least I was trying to establish a pattern of technical problems so that there would be a record of it when I finally wrote a letter asking for a refund of the premium channel subscription. He just shrugged again and said, "yeah, right... good luck with that." He was so negative and at the same time so apathetic that I eventually just told him to leave.

Although the frequency of problems has recently lessened somewhat, we still only have intermittent service on our premium channels, and even some non-premium HD channels. I could ask for another useless service call just to have the ping on my record that I reported a problem -- but I'm hoping there is another solution. If I write a letter to Comcast and send copies to the FCC and TiVo, will that help? If I call TiVo first and ask them to initiate a conference call (bearing in mind that my cards work fine for most channels), will they do anything?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have had these problems and I apologize for asking about it again... perhaps you could just point me to a page from this thread so I don't have to go reading all 185 pages?

I have the same sort of problems that you are having.

Earlier today I was missing about half of the channels, now they are back up. FRUSTRATING!!!
jjp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #5513
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp007 View Post
I have the same sort of problems that you are having.

Earlier today I was missing about half of the channels, now they are back up. FRUSTRATING!!!
When quoting extremely long posts you might want to trim down the original quoted text so that others don't have to scroll through 10 paragraphs to read your one sentence reply to the post.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #5514
husky55

My experience with Connecticut Comcast is mostly positive. I had to have several truck rolls and they were mostly successful.

Besides the annoying fact that in Ct, there is no cable card pickup at the office, no self install, no Comcast box pickup either. Everything is appointment and truck roll for us at the shoreline.

I have a JVC LCOS HDTV with cable card slot, a Panasonic plasma also with cable card slot and a TivoHD. I started out with the Comcast HD converter box (Motorola 6200) and migrated to cable cards.

What I learned is that you need to have some facts:

1. Take out your cable card be it M or S card and write down the SN number.

2. Then go to Tivo menu, settings, cable card configuration and write down th Host Unit ID, the Data Stream numbers.

3. Then you can call Comcast for a service call. The Comcast tech will call the Advanced support group which will ask for the info which you already have and make sure that the info on their servers match with what you have subscribed to, i.e. HBO and the likes. That process is called pairing.

4. The reason some channels are missing even if most channels are working is the cable card SN and the Unit Host ID match (or do not match) but the Data Stream was corrupted when Comcast sent too many hits, or rehit to repair the cable card or cable card was moved from one Tv or Tivo to another. In addition, if you have many Tivos, converter box, and DVRs then the order of priority is very important.

5. The info about cable cards went bad is only sometimes true. It mostly just had some corrupted data on it.

6. I just give some info about cable card with Tivo. some TV are very hard to pair with cable card since on some TV there is one coax input for each of the various tuners, each of which need to be paired with the cable card.

7. There are a few (very small number, we only experienced 2 over 3-4 years and about 10 calls total) of Comcast personnel who, when we called, were not familiar with Tivo or cable cable card, M or S. I do not not know if they were pretending to be ignorant or simply ignorant. But most of Comcast personnel we dealt with were courteous, informed, helpful and patient. The techs who came to our house were all very helpful.

Good luck,

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI

Last edited by husky55 : 07-14-2008 at 07:57 AM.
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #5515
cluelesspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
3. Then you can call Comcast for a service call. The Comcast tech will call the Advanced support group which will ask for the info which you already have and make sure that the info on their servers match with what you have subscribed to, i.e. HBO and the likes. That process is called pairing.
umm one minor correction. Pairing is not that. Pairing is tying the Cable Card with the HOST ID (which is the ID of the device it is plugged into) i.e. Tivo Or Television... on their system. it authorizes that Cable Card to be used with that Device on their system. that is why you can not move the card from the TV cable card slot to a TIVO and expect it to work.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #5516
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Quote:
Hi all,

I am experiencing the same problem, but my cards goes "unauth" randomly, i have an appointment today for them to replace them.
Videodrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #5517
sandman1999

will have my appointment with comcast tomorrow for install of my m card to tivo hd any pointers on what i need to be ready to avoid headache with the install? also I am new to the dual tuner how do I check if it is functioning? I am planing to upgrade to internal harddrive will this affect the cable card setup in the future? thanks for anyone that can help me out
sandman1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #5518
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1999 View Post
will have my appointment with comcast tomorrow for install of my m card to tivo hd any pointers on what i need to be ready to avoid headache with the install? also I am new to the dual tuner how do I check if it is functioning? I am planing to upgrade to internal harddrive will this affect the cable card setup in the future? thanks for anyone that can help me out
Take the directions that came with the box for the cable card and give them to the installer, and make sure he follows them.

You can use the Cable Card menus to test each tuner. If you get 2 cards for some reason, make sure both cards work before releasing the tech. The last install I had the tech got 1 card working and then thought he was done, I had to show him the 2nd tuner wasn't getting all the premium channels, and made him stay until he resolved the issue. (He'd transposed a couple of numbers on one of the parameters)

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #5519
telcoman
Telcoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
My experience with Connecticut Comcast is mostly positive. I had to have several truck rolls and they were mostly successful.

Besides the annoying fact that in Ct, there is no cable card pickup at the office, no self install, no Comcast box pickup either. Everything is appointment and truck roll for us at the shoreline.

I have a JVC LCOS HDTV with cable card slot, a Panasonic plasma also with cable card slot and a TivoHD. I started out with the Comcast HD converter box (Motorola 6200) and migrated to cable cards.

What I learned is that you need to have some facts:

1. Take out your cable card be it M or S card and write down the SN number.

2. Then go to Tivo menu, settings, cable card configuration and write down th Host Unit ID, the Data Stream numbers.

4. The reason some channels are missing even if most channels are working is the cable card SN and the Unit Host ID match (or do not match) but the Data Stream was corrupted when Comcast sent too many hits, or rehit to repair the cable card or cable card was moved from one Tv or Tivo to another. In addition, if you have many Tivos, converter box, and DVRs then the order of priority is very important.

5. The info about cable cards went bad is only sometimes true. It mostly just had some corrupted data on it.

6. I just give some info about cable card with Tivo. some TV are very hard to pair with cable card since on some TV there is one coax input for each of the various tuners, each of which need to be paired with the cable card.

7. There are a few (very small number, we only experienced 2 over 3-4 years and about 10 calls total) of Comcast personnel who, when we called, were not familiar with Tivo or cable cable card, M or S. I do not not know if they were pretending to be ignorant or simply ignorant. But most of Comcast personnel we dealt with were courteous, informed, helpful and patient. The techs who came to our house were all very helpful.

Good luck,

I agree with you. Our first Series 3 HD dual tuner with M card install went well. Our second one took three visits by Comcast.We were not getting channels in the 100's but 2-99 and the HD broadcast channels were ok. It turned out they made an error in our account for the new M card. The Comcast tech resolved it in about 10 minutes yesterday.

Comcast Central New Jersey Middlesex County
One series 4 Premiere Elite, Three Series 3 Digital HD w M Card, Two Series 2, Slingbox classic,Sony 36" XBR Flat Screen 250 lb Tube w 6 inputs
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #5520
nirisahn

My experience has also been positive. The guy showed up really late, but he did show up and got everything working before he left. I wasn't receiving all the stations at first, but that turned out to be a weak signal to the TiVo caused by a bad coax cable. Cable replaced, all channels coming in fine and dandy. The card works, the TiVo works, everything works, and the picture is amazing! And that's with a regular AV cable (red, white, yellow). I can't quite manage moving the tv by myself, but as soon as I can get help with it, I'm going to change the video cable to RGB cables. I wonder how much difference that will make to the quality of the picture?

Anyway, so far Comcast gets a in my book.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote