TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #1531
jebbbz

Well, I had another brief channel loss this afternoon so things are better but not fixed. Also, back on July 2 TiVoJerry mentioned he would be out of the office for a few days. It is possible he is not back yet.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #1532
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
Well, I had another brief channel loss this afternoon so things are better but not fixed. Also, back on July 2 TiVoJerry mentioned he would be out of the office for a few days. It is possible he is not back yet.
He's around. Here's a post by him just this afternoon in the Freeze thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...24#post6469924

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #1533
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Had a couple partial recordings today. My wife is pretty irritated about them. Luckily I am able to find them online in various places to tide her over until this is fixed.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #1534
saibari

Ugh! I hate that you guys have had issues today. That means I've probably just been lucky for the past couple of days. Still... I'd hate to go to the bother of installing a Cox HD-DVR, learning how to use it, and likely fighting with them each month to credit any charges that will probably appear on my bill despite the agent telling me I would just pay the $2 cablecard fee as I've been doing.

On the other hand, the soonest I could get the install scheduled was 5 days out so if I have problems, I'll be stuck for several days until they install the DVR. Why can't they all just get their act together once and for all?! Is trouble-free service really too much to ask?
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #1535
ace689

New Phoenix Tivo owner with an HD & Mcard installed. I have experienced the firmware upgrade loop, channel loss, 161-38 error message and almost daily partial recordings.

Iím in my first 30 days of tivo service and I have the option to cancel - which I am considering at least until the bugs are worked out in the Phoenix area.

My question to you veteran tivo users is this. If I discontinue service will my season pass programs still record? If not, if I set up a manual record of these programs will this work?
Also, without the service will I still have access to all channels?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
ace689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #1536
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace689 View Post
New Phoenix Tivo owner with an HD & Mcard installed. I have experienced the firmware upgrade loop, channel loss, 161-38 error message and almost daily partial recordings.

Iím in my first 30 days of tivo service and I have the option to cancel - which I am considering at least until the bugs are worked out in the Phoenix area.

My question to you veteran tivo users is this. If I discontinue service will my season pass programs still record? If not, if I set up a manual record of these programs will this work?
for lack of a better term if you cancel your service you will have a door stop
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #1537
saibari

Get out while the getting is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace689 View Post

If you're within 30 days of initiating service and within 30 days of buying the TiVo box, I'd stop service and return the unit! As much as I've loved my TiVO when it works, the poor service has been pretty ridiculous. I've never tried anything else, so I can't say whether or not TiVo is so much better than the alternatives, that it makes it worth putting up with the problems--but I tend to doubt that.

If you cancel your service, you won't have any recording abilities and I wouldn't think you'd be able to watch live TV either. You'd have to replace the TiVo with another DVR. If you want to stick with Cox, you'd need their HD-DVR. I'm assuming it's been trouble-free, though I can't say for sure... Certainly it can't be as trouble-prone as TiVo has been...
Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #1538
jebbbz

You can't assume the Cox DVR will be problem-free. Over in the AVS Forums there are quite a few complaints of their DVRs simply failing to record shows, losing schedules, and otherwise having problems, even if there are no system-wide problems as appears to be the case so far in July. The interface, guide, and operation of the SA8300 Cox offers are not comparable to TiVo's. You may luck out or find it satisfactory but I don't know of anyone who truly prefers the Cox DVR to TiVo.

Give yourself as much time as you can before making your decision unless you really can't stand your TiVo problems. My problems have gotten better as mysteriously as they got bad. You mention the upgrade loop -- I assume you got out of it or you couldn't be having problems with loss of channels and partial recordings (same problem, actually). I haven't seen a 161-38 warning in days and haqve a channel loss about once every day and a half so I can live with my problems.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #1539
ajwees41

Quote:
You can't assume the Cox DVR will be problem-free. Over in the AVS Forums there are quite a few complaints of their DVRs simply failing to record shows, losing schedules, and otherwise having problems, even if there are no system-wide problems as appears to be the case so far in July. The interface, guide, and operation of the SA8300 Cox offers are not comparable to TiVo's. You may luck out or find it satisfactory but I don't know of anyone who truly prefers the Cox DVR to TiVo.

Give yourself as much time as you can before making your decision unless you really can't stand your TiVo problems. My problems have gotten better as mysteriously as they got bad. You mention the upgrade loop -- I assume you got out of it or you couldn't be having problems with loss of channels and partial recordings (same problem, actually). I haven't seen a 161-38 warning in days and haqve a channel loss about once every day and a half so I can live with my problems.

about the only things going for the motorola cox dvr is renting the dvr vs buying the tivo and ondemand.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #1540
saibari

Quote:

That's the thing, there isn't enough time to make the decision. You just have that 30-day window and then you're stuck. I'm assuming that TiVo and Cox will work out solutions to the problems we've been having, but when? So, if I could, I'd return the box and stop the service and give the Cox DVR a try. You can always go back to TiVo if you prefer it enough to put up with the headaches. And yes, I've heard that TiVo is head-and-shoulders above any other DVR, but having never tried anything other than TiVo, I can't personally speak to that. ... and I hear the Cox on-demand feature is pretty cool...

You might also consider this SDV mess which will prevent TiVo users from receiving 77 channels. Granted, the affected channels aren't ones that I usually watch (thank goodness!), but still...

That said, now that I've had 3 trouble-free days I've been seduced back into the "I love my TiVo" mode. I was mistaken earlier when I said Cox was going to come out tomorrow to install the DVR, the appointment is for Sunday. So, we'll see how it goes. If I'm trouble-free tomorrow, I'll definitely cancel the Cox appointment...
Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #1541
Dbax5

Well I've had my Cox DVR for over a week now. Works great. I agree the user interface is not as cool as TivoHD, but at least it works. And I also have On Demand which is pretty cool. And I am also not paying $12.95 a month for something that does not work. And the channels also change quicker. Finally some peace of mind. Oh, and Cox did credit my account for the 6 days Tivo was getting the firmware update!
Dbax5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #1542
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalwitz View Post
well i just got off the phone with tivo. it seems if you push hard enough and get a supervisor on the phone they will submit your case for "review" i'm supposed to hear back by Friday. I told them i wanted to return in and i wanted my money back. they sold me a piece of equipment that is incompatible with the technology required to use it! when i told the guy that it was not compatible with the SA card, he asked me if i tried a Motorola card! like it's a menu item and you can get whatever brand you want from the cable company. heh...wouldn't that be nice?!?!?

ken
Hey Ken, have you heard back from TiVo?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #1543
scrappler

I have Cox coming out tomorrow (Sunday) to look at the problems I am having. I told the tech on the phone I doubt the service call will help anything. I am mostly concerned with fixing my issues with the copyright flag. It gives me 2.5 hours to watch anything from HBO/SCI/DISC and more. Does anyone else get 210 minutes to watch something??
Is there anything the tech will be able to do tomorrow for any of the issues (partial recordings/channel loss/copyright problems)?
If I didn't have lifetime service I'd probably seriously consider switching out the box until the issues were fixed.
scrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #1544
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappler View Post
I have Cox coming out tomorrow (Sunday) to look at the problems I am having. I told the tech on the phone I doubt the service call will help anything. I am mostly concerned with fixing my issues with the copyright flag. It gives me 2.5 hours to watch anything from HBO/SCI/DISC and more. Does anyone else get 210 minutes to watch something??
Is there anything the tech will be able to do tomorrow for any of the issues (partial recordings/channel loss/copyright problems)?
If I didn't have lifetime service I'd probably seriously consider switching out the box until the issues were fixed.
the copyright problems would be with HBO,SCI,DISC not cox.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #1545
saibari

Quote:
Do you have two single-stream cards or one multi-stream card? I just looked back at the thread in which I first posted about my copyright problems and it seems that switching from the single stream cards to the mult-stream card solved the problem.... However, for some reason I recall that Cox changed a setting too. But I'm sorry I don't recall exactly what they did. I don't think the problem is with the stations themselves...
Old 07-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #1546
AZrob

Well, just to keep it clear that nothing's been fixed, I watched a movie on an Encore channel tonight while it was being recorded, and it stopped recording THREE TIMES during the 2 hour broadcast. If I hadn't been watching I wouldn't have been able to restart the recording right away and would have lost it. This is ridiculous!
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #1547
Rolow

I'm still getting partial recordings to. Only one today and one yesterday but I got the 161-38 three times yesterday. It just happened to be the second two times I was not recording anything.

I have a single M-card in a tivo HD and have never seen the copyright flag. I recorded First Knight on HDB this morning with no problem and it's still there this evening. I also recorded the Fight mid day and watch it tonight with out any problem. I hope you get the copyright flag fixed. That's the last think any of us need is another problem.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #1548
scrappler

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
Do you have two single-stream cards or one multi-stream card? I just looked back at the thread in which I first posted about my copyright problems and it seems that switching from the single stream cards to the mult-stream card solved the problem.... However, for some reason I recall that Cox changed a setting too. But I'm sorry I don't recall exactly what they did. I don't think the problem is with the stations themselves...
I have 2 single cards in an S3. I wonder if two Multi's in the S3 would solve my copyright problem?

The copyright has to be from Cox. I was just using the tivo with another provider 2 weeks ago before I moved and had never seen the flag in two years on those exact channels. Everyone at cox has no idea what I'm talking about and will not help with it.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #1549
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
I have 2 single cards in an S3. I wonder if two Multi's in the S3 would solve my copyright problem?

The copyright has to be from Cox. I was just using the tivo with another provider 2 weeks ago before I moved and had never seen the flag in two years on those exact channels. Everyone at cox has no idea what I'm talking about and will not help with it.
I would suggest you write the GM/Vice President.

These are two people I wrote to in November and received a response from the Executive Relations Dept (in ~ 7 days). They seemed to have much more power in terms of getting things done.

steve.rizley@cox.com <steve.rizley@cox.com> - General Manager/ Cox Arizona

ivan.johnson@cox.com <ivan.johnson@cox.com> - Vice President Public Affairs/Cox Arizona
Old 07-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #1550
saibari

Quote:

I agree with Brian. Cox has to be able to fix it. I would use the contacts he lists (thanks, Brian--I plan to hold on to those for future reference!) to get to the bottom of this. I would also contact, TiVo though. I would think someone over there has to know about this problem and at least be able to tell you what you should ask your cable provider to do about it. Plus, they should be made aware of this issue, even if the problem is not on their end....

As I said, I had the very same problem and it was solved. So there is a solution out there...
Old 07-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #1551
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
I'm still getting partial recordings to. Only one today and one yesterday but I got the 161-38 three times yesterday. It just happened to be the second two times I was not recording anything.

I have a single M-card in a tivo HD and have never seen the copyright flag. I recorded First Knight on HDB this morning with no problem and it's still there this evening. I also recorded the Fight mid day and watch it tonight with out any problem. I hope you get the copyright flag fixed. That's the last think any of us need is another problem.
Oh no! I missed your and AZRob's posts until just now. <SIGH> So it appears I've been having trouble-free service for the past 5 days simply because the TiVo fairies have been smiling upon me? Oy! Let's hope I remain in their good graces indefinitely... I really don't want to resort to a Cox HD-DVR ...
Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #1552
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Oh no! I missed your and AZRob's posts until just now. <SIGH> So it appears I've been having trouble-free service for the past 5 days simply because the TiVo fairies have been smiling upon me? Oy! Let's hope I remain in their good graces indefinitely... I really don't want to resort to a Cox HD-DVR ...
It's really difficult to say. Likely you're having the channel loss problem but just happen to not have anything scheduled at the time so you don't see any partial recordings.

I wish Tivo would allow us to view our own logs so we can see how frequently the cards are being reset. This would truly tell you if you're having problems or not.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #1553
aztivo

I have been one week now with my S3 working perfectly I have 2 Mcards in it but my HD with 1 Mcard is freaking out every day all day. I dont know if it has something to do with the softwear differences or what but this is what I have been noticing
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #1554
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
It's really difficult to say. Likely you're having the channel loss problem but just happen to not have anything scheduled at the time so you don't see any partial recordings...
You can also check to see if both tuners are set to the same channel when you turn on your TV. When the channel loss takes place the two tuners are both set to the channel that the TiVo was sending to the TV at the time the problem arose.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #1555
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
It's really difficult to say. Likely you're having the channel loss problem but just happen to not have anything scheduled at the time so you don't see any partial recordings.
Well, I checked all my TiVo suggestions as well--and there were lots of them--and all of those were fine. However, tonight as I watched live TV the channel went out for a few seconds. AND, earlier this evening I had none of the non-HD network channels (15, 12, 5), although they're back now. I had checked them because I was getting a lot of pixelation on the HD channels--possibly because of the storm that was rolling through? No problems now...

I just hope the channel dropping does get any more frequent...
Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #1556
saibari

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
I have been one week now with my S3 working perfectly I have 2 Mcards in it but my HD with 1 Mcard is freaking out every day all day. I dont know if it has something to do with the softwear differences or what but this is what I have been noticing
Ok... I gotta ask again--what's the difference between S3 and HD TiVo's? Mine is listed as an S3 on my TiVo account info and I did not buy the most expensive box...

Also, why do you have 2 M-cards? You only need one, correct?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #1557
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Ok... I gotta ask again--what's the difference between S3 and HD TiVo's? Mine is listed as an S3 on my TiVo account info and I did not buy the most expensive box...

Also, why do you have 2 M-cards? You only need one, correct?
S3 has a cool OLED front display that shows the name of whatever it's recording (except suggestions).
S3 is THX certified
S3 comes with the GLO remote
S3 comes with a bigger hard drive
S3 has the cablecard slots in the back.

and since the S3 came first is has some quirks - like it won't run on a single MCard for both tuners.

This is WAY over simplified.. but those are some of the big points.

THD:

S3:

1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works

Last edited by Shawn95GT : 07-13-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #1558
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
S3 has a cool OLED front display that shows the name of whatever it's recording (except suggestions).
S3 is THX certified
S3 comes with the GLO remote
S3 comes with a bigger hard drive
S3 has the cablecard slots in the back.

and since the S3 came first is has some quirks - like it won't run on a single MCard for both tuners.

This is WAY over simplified.. but those are some of the big points.

THD:

S3:
Thank you! So I have a TiVo-HD. I wonder why it says Series 3 on my account info?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #1559
scrappler

Had cox over yesterday. Replaced out two of my cards. I'm not having any channel drops so far; still getting some SD channel stuttering. Thankfully the new cable cards have also fixed the copyright issue I had (so far). That was the most annoying issue for me, so at least that is taken care of. The Technician wanted to hook up the cox dvr to show me the problem was with Tivo. I told him not to bother and I knew the Cox DVR would probably work fine...but that I was still not switching to it.
I told him it wasn't my Tivo box because the Moto cards I had in it worked fine for 18 months before switching to cox. He told me to get a Moto card and see if Cox would activate for me. hahaha...if only...
Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #1560
TheLongshot

Quote:
Thank you! So I have a TiVo-HD. I wonder why it says Series 3 on my account info?
Because the TivoHD is technically a Series 3 machine.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote