TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #1501
Rolow

I had 2 recording of the tour de france fail again this morning but tonight every thing recorded fine.
I did have more trouble tonight watching recoded shows. It seams strange I don't know how the two problems could be related. When I FF or use the 8second skip the recording will freeze up like it used to right before I would loose channels. A combination FF pause or 8sec. skip would fix the problem.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #1502
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
Well, I believe we were told new HD channels would be sdv and sdv was supposed to be rolled out a week ago. I believe something associated with that aborted roll-out has caused the latest fading in/out channels issue. Hopefully the turkeys at Cox are spending most of their time fixing what they broke on July 1. New channels can wait.
The three new HD channels, USA-HD, Lifetime HD, and CNBC-HD, were not on the list of SDV channels Cox mailed out. They were originally scheduled to start up on July 9 and the SDV channels were all standard definition, as I recall. My guess is they don't want any more problems than they have now. The Olympics start in a month and I would guess they don't want things screwed up when the games begin.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #1503
aztivo

my story (update)
Yesterday 7/8/08 I had 3 cox techs. 2 being supervisors at my house for nearly 4 hours. They replaced all the lines. all the cable cards (some were replaced 3 times) I have a S3 and an HD the S3 has had stuttering problems since Jan. they changed the single streem cards to multi streem. The HD has had multistreem cards swapped out about every month and three yesterday. The first thing they did is take a reading of signal strength at all tv and cable points of entry into the house. Then the cable and internet was spit to two different lines. the readings for the cable were -8 and this is within tollarance. one of the sups. decided to put a amplifier on the cable line, this gave it a positive reading I dont know what the number is. the S3 is working like a champ again. The HD after 3 cards keept getting the 161-38 error. after they left they told me to give it a few hours and by last night no problems, no errors. I dont know how long this will last but this is the first time in two weeks and months that both tivos are working like they should.
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #1504
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

FWIW mine is amped too.

I got notification of some new HD channels in the Tivo lineup this morning. Lifetime HD on 724 (lol), USA HD on 728, and I think it was CNBCHD on 762.

Of course none of these are working at the moment. Hopefully it's just a case of the guide updating before the channels went live, again.

724 (LIFEHD) is showing Universal HD (UHD was on 724 before)
725 (UHD) says I may need cablecards to view this channel - lol
728 (USAHD) says I may need cablecards to view this channel
761 (HSTRYHD) says I may need cablecards to view this channel
762 (CNBCHD) is showing HistoryHD (HSTRYHD was on 762 before)

I can't find any info on the Cox Phoenix site about when these channels are supposed to go live. Anyone know?
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #1505
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
I can't find any info on the Cox Phoenix site about when these channels are supposed to go live. Anyone know?
A few posts up, somebody stated these new channels won't go live until July 21st.
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #1506
scrappler

Just Switched to Cox

Unfortunately I just moved and switched to Cox (Phoenix) from Mediacom (uses Motorola cards). While Mediacom didn't have much of an HD lineup the service was rock solid using the moto cards.
I've called Cox about 5 times in the first two days of having the cards just so i could watch tv. I now am getting partial recordings on half of my scheduled content, and copyright flags on things that were never flagged a month ago with Mediacom. I need to go back and read this thread since it sounds like there are many others out there.
This sucks!
scrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #1507
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
my story (update)
Yesterday 7/8/08 I had 3 cox techs. 2 being supervisors at my house for nearly 4 hours. They replaced all the lines. all the cable cards (some were replaced 3 times) I have a S3 and an HD the S3 has had stuttering problems since Jan. they changed the single streem cards to multi streem. The HD has had multistreem cards swapped out about every month and three yesterday. The first thing they did is take a reading of signal strength at all tv and cable points of entry into the house. Then the cable and internet was spit to two different lines. the readings for the cable were -8 and this is within tollarance. one of the sups. decided to put a amplifier on the cable line, this gave it a positive reading I dont know what the number is. the S3 is working like a champ again. The HD after 3 cards keept getting the 161-38 error. after they left they told me to give it a few hours and by last night no problems, no errors. I dont know how long this will last but this is the first time in two weeks and months that both tivos are working like they should.
Sounds like you had multiple issues, AZtivo that got resolved. Now you are back to "normal", which means you will be getting the "partial recording" problem on your HD until Tivo fixes the bug that got downloaded with the so-called firmware upgrade recently. Ain't progress grand?

BTW, can anyone say whether this bug is hitting S3's as well as HD's? More specifically, is it hitting only those Tivo's that are using M-cards, which would limit it to HD's only? It's not clear to me if it's only HD's with M-cards (the original problem combination that the firmware upgrade was supposed to fix) or if now a larger group is being affected.

Thanks,

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #1508
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappler View Post
Unfortunately I just moved and switched to Cox (Phoenix) from Mediacom (uses Motorola cards). While Mediacom didn't have much of an HD lineup the service was rock solid using the moto cards.
I've called Cox about 5 times in the first two days of having the cards just so i could watch tv. I now am getting partial recordings on half of my scheduled content, and copyright flags on things that were never flagged a month ago with Mediacom. I need to go back and read this thread since it sounds like there are many others out there.
This sucks!
The partial recordings are a problem here in Phoenix because your cards keep needing to be reset by the Tivo to receive channels due to some issue between SA/Cisco, Cox & Tivo. When this happens, your recordings stop until the next time period change. This has been going on in Phoenix for many months and was due to be fixed along with another similar issue with a recent firmware update (aka "301") but the update only fixed the other issue and made the channel loss issue worse (used to happen once a week and now is 4-7 times a day). Tivo has advised Cox and Cisco that they have a major issue in Phoenix and I've been told that it's being worked on.

You can't do much about the copyright flags unless they're restricting your locals. The cable co has the right to restrict the others as they see fit. You might have some luck if you contact the particular channel itself and see if they'll convince Cox to remove the copyright flag.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #1509
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
which means you will be getting the "partial recording" problem on your HD until Tivo fixes the bug that got downloaded with the so-called firmware upgrade recently.
A bit of a mis-statement here. Tivo didn't download anything recently. Cox sent out an SA cablecard firmware upgrade. The updated code is coming from the cable company (who got it from SA - their cablecard vendor). I don't think tivo's been much involved in any code changes here.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #1510
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
BTW, can anyone say whether this bug is hitting S3's as well as HD's? More specifically, is it hitting only those Tivo's that are using M-cards, which would limit it to HD's only? It's not clear to me if it's only HD's with M-cards (the original problem combination that the firmware upgrade was supposed to fix) or if now a larger group is being affected.
I have an S3 with S-cards and I'm not having any issues, here in Phoenix. I used to have M-cards, but switched back after losing channels every week. My father has a TivoHD with S-cards and he's not losing any channels, but certain channels will freeze. Cox came out to his house on Monday and the installer didn't have any S-cards. He also said he didn't want to put the M-cards in my father's TivoHD because of all the issues. He did say S-cards should be available in the next week or so.

Reading all the other posts, it sounds like an M-card issue.
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #1511
scrappler

Thanks BrianAZ! I am actually in Chandler, but I'm assumming this problem covers Phoenix and the surrounding area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
The partial recordings are a problem here in Phoenix because your cards keep needing to be reset by the Tivo to receive channels due to some issue between SA/Cisco, Cox & Tivo. When this happens, your recordings stop until the next time period change. This has been going on in Phoenix for many months and was due to be fixed along with another similar issue with a recent firmware update (aka "301") but the update only fixed the other issue and made the channel loss issue worse (used to happen once a week and now is 4-7 times a day). Tivo has advised Cox and Cisco that they have a major issue in Phoenix and I've been told that it's being worked on.

You can't do much about the copyright flags unless they're restricting your locals. The cable co has the right to restrict the others as they see fit. You might have some luck if you contact the particular channel itself and see if they'll convince Cox to remove the copyright flag.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #1512
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Thanks BrianAZ! I am actually in Chandler, but I'm assumming this problem covers Phoenix and the surrounding area?
Yes. I'm not sure exactly how far it extends but it is certainly impacting a large section of Cox's Phoenix market.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #1513
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
A bit of a mis-statement here. Tivo didn't download anything recently. Cox sent out an SA cablecard firmware upgrade. The updated code is coming from the cable company (who got it from SA - their cablecard vendor). I don't think tivo's been much involved in any code changes here.
Yes, you are right, thanks for the clarification. I think of this as "Tivo's" upgrade because

a) Tivo had been working with SA and Cox to make this fix and
b) TivoJerry announced that it was coming a week or so ago (see above).

But it will certainly have to be solved by Tivo,SA and Cox working together. SOMEONE should certainly have tested this in the field since it's odd that such an obvious flaw was missed.
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #1514
aztivo

update 2
so my HD is back to the whold drop chanels and freeze thing but the S3 is going strong /cross fingers/ for the moment
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #1515
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Yes, you are right, thanks for the clarification. I think of this as "Tivo's" upgrade because

a) Tivo had been working with SA and Cox to make this fix and
b) TivoJerry announced that it was coming a week or so ago (see above).

But it will certainly have to be solved by Tivo,SA and Cox working together. SOMEONE should certainly have tested this in the field since it's odd that such an obvious flaw was missed.
I can't say for certain, but based on various comments I've seen attributed to Tivo/Cox folks, it was assumed that the channel loss issue we are facing in Phoenix was identical to what was being experienced in Las Vegas. Certainly the SubExpireTime issue may have been, but the more frequent channel loss issue is not.

Tivo/Cox set up test boxes in Vegas and it seems the firmware upgrade was developed soley based on info gleaned from these boxes.

It makes me wonder if Tivo has or may benefit from deploying a group of boxes (S2, S3, TivoHD, etc) in each major market at all times. Perhaps in the local office of the Cable Co or in customer's houses via something similar to a beta program (except it is neverending). It seems that this would provide them with ample test boxes to gather data and test fixes without having to do the Q&A thing as much on these boards or via CS.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #1516
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
FWIW mine is amped too.

I got notification of some new HD channels in the Tivo lineup this morning. Lifetime HD on 724 (lol), USA HD on 728, and I think it was CNBCHD on 762.

Of course none of these are working at the moment. Hopefully it's just a case of the guide updating before the channels went live, again.

724 (LIFEHD) is showing Universal HD (UHD was on 724 before)
725 (UHD) says I may need cablecards to view this channel - lol
728 (USAHD) says I may need cablecards to view this channel
761 (HSTRYHD) says I may need cablecards to view this channel
762 (CNBCHD) is showing HistoryHD (HSTRYHD was on 762 before)

Looks like 7/21 now based on this post. Of course, this won't mean jack to me unless they get the lost channels/partial recordings fixed before the Olympics! My wife is going to flip out if she can't reliably record the events she is interested in.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #1517
saibari

Question Confused about difference between S-3's and HD's

[quote=AZrob;6461086]...BTW, can anyone say whether this bug is hitting S3's as well as HD's? More specifically, is it hitting only those Tivo's that are using M-cards, which would limit it to HD's only? It's not clear to me if it's only HD's with M-cards (the original problem combination that the firmware upgrade was supposed to fix) or if now a larger group is being affected./QUOTE]

Oy--I'm confused! What's the difference between S-3's and HD's? I apologize because someone did explain this to me a couple months back, but now I don't recall the explanation. Both receive/record/display HD programming correct? I purchased the less expensive box that holds fewer hours of programming. My TiVo account lists mine as an S3, but contrary to AZrob's post quoted above, it can use either 2 S-cards or one M-card. I currently have one M-card. I started out with S-cards but experienced such bad audio-video synch problems that many shows were unwatchable. So I'm loathe to switch back...
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #1518
saibari

copyright flags

Quote:
This sucks!
Welcome to our world! Regarding the copyright flags. I too had this problem when I first hooked my new TiVo up. I initially thought it was the program or network's settings, but when I complained to them they had no idea what I was talking about. This is a problem with a Cox setting. They can fix it. I'm sorry, I don't recall precisely what they did to fix it, but they can fix it...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #1519
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
...I did have more trouble tonight watching recoded shows. It seams strange I don't know how the two problems could be related. When I FF or use the 8second skip the recording will freeze up like it used to right before I would loose channels. A combination FF pause or 8sec. skip would fix the problem.
For what it's worth, I too experienced this problem a couple of times, a week or so ago. The recorded program would freeze when I tried to FF. Pause didn't work for me and I didn't try the 8sec skip. Only thing that worked was stopping the program and re-starting it. Only happened those two times though and hasn't occurred since...
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #1520
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
Welcome to our world! Regarding the copyright flags. I too had this problem when I first hooked my new TiVo up. I initially thought it was the program or network's settings, but when I complained to them they had no idea what I was talking about. This is a problem with a Cox setting. They can fix it. I'm sorry, I don't recall precisely what they did to fix it, but they can fix it...
They can, but I would be very suprised if they do as they are not required to unless it's a local station of the channel makes a request for Cox to change the CCI flag.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #1521
Rolow

Yesterday I had my tivo set to record 2 programs and both where recorded with out a problem. So far today It has 1 partial of the 2 recordings but the 1 partial was only 1 minute short so that's not so bad.

I haven't had any more problems with play back.

What are you guys recording that your getting the broadcast flag/copyright flag?
I've never had it here in Peoria and I record on HBO quite often.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #1522
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Thanks for the info on the 7/21 date. My lineup changed again to un-do the changes to the 7xx channels but I noticed a bunch of other channels re-arranged too.

I get the copyright flag on pretty much anything from the Universal HD or Discovery HD.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #1523
saibari

copyright flags

Quote:
They can, but I would be very suprised if they do as they are not required to unless it's a local station of the channel makes a request for Cox to change the CCI flag.
Perhaps we're talking about two different things? My problem was that copyright flags were appearing on programs that shouldn't have had them, and the program would delete itself within an hour or so after having been recorded. -- very aggravating! Some of the affected programs, for example, were a few cooking shows on Food Network. There was some kind of error in a setting of some sort. When I called Cox, they fixed it and I haven't had that particular problem since then (a few months). ...
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #1524
scrappler

Quote:

The copyright flag I am getting is on shows that a week before (with another cable company) had no issues. I'll call cox and see if they can fix it.

The flag basically gives me an hour after the show records to watch it. When i click to watch it, the tivo says I don't have enough time to watch it before the deadline and it deletes it. Some shows automatically delete before I ever realize they were recorded.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #1525
saibari

copyright flags

Quote:
The copyright flag I am getting is on shows that a week before (with another cable company) had no issues. I'll call cox and see if they can fix it.

The flag basically gives me an hour after the show records to watch it. When i click to watch it, the tivo says I don't have enough time to watch it before the deadline and it deletes it. Some shows automatically delete before I ever realize they were recorded.
Yep, that's exactly what I experienced. Cox fixed it for me, so I don't know why they wouldn't be able to fix it for you...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #1526
qunewsguy

Cox Adding Olympics-Only Channels

For all you AZ folks, beware. Cox in Connecticut placed an ad in this afternoon's newspaper saying they're adding two Olympics-only HD channels on 8/8/08 (in addition to the standard NBC/Uni HD channels). If you get these too, something tells me you'll be having a lot more issues with your HD Tivo's just as soon as you get your current issues taken care of!
qunewsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #1527
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:

What channels are you seeing this behavior on? If I recall, this means the CCI is set to 3 and is usually only used on PPV. Most channels on Cox are CCI = 2 which will let you record one copy of it ( to your Tivo ) but prevent you from making another copy (to your computer or copying to another Tivo in your house).

I'm in Chandler and have only encountered the CCI=2 scenario.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #1528
saibari

Dare I ask--is the problem fixed?

Since Wed morning (2 whole days now) I've not experienced any problems--no freezing, no channel dropping, no partial recordings! However, I wonder if this will last. I actually have Cox scheduled to install a Cox HD-DVR on Sat morning. I requested this (at no charge) when they told me there was no expected date for a solution to my problem. But now that my TiVo appears to be fine, I'm thinking I might cancel. ... I'm just worried that no sooner do I cancel that I'll start having problems again!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #1529
jebbbz

Hard to say. I almost posted the same thing yesterday as I had gone more than 24 hours with no problems. Then I had, I think, a loss of channels right before I was going to post. I have had six or seven good recordings, no partials. Now it has been another day with no apparent problems. Things seem much better but with no news from Cox or TiVo, even informally, it may be we are going through a lucky spell.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #1530
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
Since Wed morning (2 whole days now) I've not experienced any problems--no freezing, no channel dropping, no partial recordings! However, I wonder if this will last. I actually have Cox scheduled to install a Cox HD-DVR on Sat morning. I requested this (at no charge) when they told me there was no expected date for a solution to my problem. But now that my TiVo appears to be fine, I'm thinking I might cancel. ... I'm just worried that no sooner do I cancel that I'll start having problems again!
If you got an HD DVR indefinitely for no cost, I say you keep it as long as you can. I would warn you though, I was also given a "free" HD DVR to watch the Hockey sports package since they wouldn't allow cablecard users to tune it. Every single month I had to call in and get charges reversed . And it wasn't limited to just the HD DVR itself, it was all the extra fees that come with it (I forget all the items offhand). I was even working through the AZ Cox President's office! Each month I would call normal support when I saw that the charges were on there again.. they'd claim they didn't have anything indicating it was free even though each month the person who eventually credited my account (either a sup. or someone in the Pres. office) would tell me they're noting it in my account. Was a HUGE hassle, but at least I could watch my Hockey. I turned it back in the day after the last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
Hard to say. I almost posted the same thing yesterday as I had gone more than 24 hours with no problems. Then I had, I think, a loss of channels right before I was going to post. I have had six or seven good recordings, no partials. Now it has been another day with no apparent problems. Things seem much better but with no news from Cox or TiVo, even informally, it may be we are going through a lucky spell.
My money's on luck. TivoJerry's been pretty vocal about this issue here and other boards. He certainly would have posted here if something had changed.