TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #691
dallastx

I realize that this will probably jinx me, but I haven't experienced a freeze for two days now.
I've got a TiVoHD with 9.3a and a 500GB Seagate DB35 drive.
I've had freezes several times a day since the end of June. It would mainly occur after changing channels. Channel Up/Down/Review would square it away but it would it would usually take several times to do it. It seemed that changing to an analog channel (Verizon will be changing 1-49 in the Dallas area to digital in August.) would work as well although if I changed back to the original channel that froze, it would probably freeze again. If I wait a minute or two, I could switch to the original channel and it would be okay.
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #692
scola77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
I realize that this will probably jinx me, but I haven't experienced a freeze for two days now.
I've got a TiVoHD with 9.3a and a 500GB Seagate DB35 drive.
I've had freezes several times a day since the end of June. It would mainly occur after changing channels. Channel Up/Down/Review would square it away but it would it would usually take several times to do it. It seemed that changing to an analog channel (Verizon will be changing 1-49 in the Dallas area to digital in August.) would work as well although if I changed back to the original channel that froze, it would probably freeze again. If I wait a minute or two, I could switch to the original channel and it would be okay.
I am kind of in the same boat. My freezes still happen, but are less frequent. They happen about once per week now. I know all I have to do is reboot and the problem will go away for a while, but the issue for me is WHEN it happens. They seem to happen during the day (or overnight) when I am not at home and my wife (technically challenged) does not know what to do. She is getting increasingly frustrated even though I keep telling her a fix is on the way (crossing my fingers this is true). I have invested alot of money in my 2 tivo hd's + cable card installs so I am hoping this little nuisance will go away soon.

Regardless of the freeze ups, I love my TiVo and would NOT under any circumstances switch to the Cox DVR (it is horrible). The only possible thing I would consider if the problem cannot be resolved is switching back to DirecTV's HR21.

To sum up - Love my TiVo, but wife is mad and something has to give. I hope TiVo is close to solving this issue before I am forced to make a change.
scola77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #693
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I see it when I frequently switch between channels (when I was flipping back and forth between the Red Sox and Celtics earlier this month for example) on the same tuner, when I set up the 2 channels to be on the different tuners and use the "live TV" button to switch it doesn't happen as often. However when I was watching the Sox and the C's while recording something on the other tuner it became problematic. So I think it is some kind of buffer thing between the cable card or the tuner and the disk.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #694
dallastx

Yesterday morning I wrote that I hadn't had a freeze in two days. I was afraid that statement would jinx me.

Well, last night about 7 I had my worst freezing. I couldn't find a channel or recorded program that wouldn't freeze immediately. Neither Chan Up/Down or Review would clear it. I finally did a warm boot (from the menu as opposed to unplugging) and everything was fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #695
lessd

I have upgraded more TiVos than most people on this form and never had the freeze problem or my friends would call me, one friend just called. I took the TiVo back to my home and re-did the guided setup, then let the TiVo run, looked at it two hours later and the TiVo was frozen with a still picture on the screen, the TiVo would not react to the remote, I had to do a hard boot. Changed out the drive and the same thing happened, put in the original 160Gb drive and the same thing happened so the problem with this TiVo-HD is something in the MB not the hard drive. I have a warranty replacement coming.
The TiVo was a 652 running on Comcast cable but no cable cards, I was recording one HD channel and watching another when the freeze happened. (I had done a channel scan to find the network HD clear channels).

I posted this just as another data point in this ongoing TiVo-HD freeze problem.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #696
Ziggy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I have upgraded more TiVos than most people on this form and never had the freeze problem or my friends would call me, one friend just called. I took the TiVo back to my home and re-did the guided setup, then let the TiVo run, looked at it two hours later and the TiVo was frozen with a still picture on the screen, the TiVo would not react to the remote, I had to do a hard boot. Changed out the drive and the same thing happened, put in the original 160Gb drive and the same thing happened so the problem with this TiVo-HD is something in the MB not the hard drive. I have a warranty replacement coming.
The TiVo was a 652 running on Comcast cable but no cable cards, I was recording one HD channel and watching another when the freeze happened. (I had done a channel scan to find the network HD clear channels).

I posted this just as another data point in this ongoing TiVo-HD freeze problem.
I hope you reported it directly to Tivo.

The more people who do the better chance we have of a fix happening.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #697
jeffinaz
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post

I doubt it is the MB since the problem comes and goes with varied degrees of severity.
jeffinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #698
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post

TiVo reads this form so i did not call TiVo about this as I know more than most of the CSR that answer the phone and TiVo gets cranky if the hard drive is changed out. The CSR can tell this when you call and most of the time will not talk to you if you have another drive in your not working TiVo.

TiVo knows about this problem and has an ongoing beta to try to fix this problem. (I am not in the beta myself) so that's another reason i don't think my phone time with TiVo would help with this problem.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #699
cwbaker

Has anyone got the email invite to get the early access software yet?
cwbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #700
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbaker View Post
Has anyone got the email invite to get the early access software yet?
Yes they have. I've personally sent a few myself and my coworker has sent more. As part of the NDA, anyone who has asked to join would not be able to post a reply to your question.

If, for some reason, someone has not received an email after waiting 2 business days (M-F) since contacting our call center, please PM me directly rather than reply in this thread.

Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoJerry : 07-10-2008 at 03:09 PM.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #701
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post

For new issues that we're not necessarily aware of, this would be a wise recommendation. However, it does not apply in this situation because we are keenly aware that this is happening to our customers and the investigation is already a high priority that we are diligently working on.

I'd personally prefer you not add to our call volume so as not to inconvenience other customers by adding to hold times, but you are, of course, always welcome to call in if you wish to have yourself counted or to request being added to the early access program.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #702
cxpistol

very frustrating........constant reboots or lockups for over a month..........9.3a has to go, the wife wants results, and we are damn lucky it's the off-season for real tv and football, but you are running out of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cxpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #703
moonscape

i've scanned several threads and not sure if my issue fits a profile or not. i didn't get a picture freeze but a black screen. remote worked. was watching a recorded show when it happened. tried another show - still black. sound okay. it's a (1-month old) series 3, not modified. soft reboot fixed it.

is this something others are seeing as well?
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #704
TechDreamer

The Tivo Beta program does not work. This whole NDA thing is stupid. Tivo obviously does not have the resources to fix these software problems. Why not involve the community in a more open and LARGER way? Tivo handles these problems the same way over and over again. Big FAIL.
TechDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #705
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer View Post
The Tivo Beta program does not work. This whole NDA thing is stupid. Tivo obviously does not have the resources to fix these software problems. Why not involve the community in a more open and LARGER way? Tivo handles these problems the same way over and over again. Big FAIL.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #706
Ziggy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
For new issues that we're not necessarily aware of, this would be a wise recommendation. However, it does not apply in this situation because we are keenly aware that this is happening to our customers and the investigation is already a high priority that we are diligently working on.

I'd personally prefer you not add to our call volume so as not to inconvenience other customers by adding to hold times, but you are, of course, always welcome to call in if you wish to have yourself counted or to request being added to the early access program.
Thanks, I will not call and will not suggest that others call either. But are the CSR just telling us information that is not correct when they say a fix is about to be released in the next two weeks when I see posts here that go back months with the same "two weeks" and a fix will be available?

Last edited by Ziggy86 : 07-11-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #707
dallastx

I knew that I shouldn't have written that I hadn't had a freeze in two days.
Last night a 6pm exactly, my TiVo HD froze, but for the first time, it wouldn't respond to the remote. I had to do a cold boot (unplug it). It came up running like a top, but this is really getting annoying.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #708
rrhardy

Freeze and buzz from TiVo HD (not audio) - same problem?

Hi, guess I've joined the club - switching over from DirecTV-TiVo and set up a new TiVo HD (652... serial) - guided setup went fine and all seemed well at 11pm. This AM found the TiVo with a very distinctive buzzing sound coming from the left interior - the TV was switched off so this was not from the TV audio. Turned the TV on and there was a frozen display - not responsive at all, had to pull the plug to do a reboot. Happened again within 1 hour. Happened again about 2 hours after that. I called TiVo support and they said this is a known issue and "we're working on a fix" - I specifically asked whether the "buzz" was part of the known problem and he said "yes, some of the units buzz when they freeze" - any recommendations on what to do? I'm concerned that this is really a hardware issue, not the software issue so many others are having.
rrhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #709
RoyK

I'd demand a case number so that the time and date are logged at TiVo - then if it does turn out to be a hardware issue you have documentation as to when you reported the problem and what you were told.

Sorry you're having a problem. If they ever get the TiVoHD hardware and software out of alpha test I might consider buying one.....
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #710
Wetsprocket625
TiVo Newb

MY TivoHD is 6 months old, has not been modified and has 1 multistream cable card. I experienced freezing(for the first time) on recorded shows a few days ago. It would play a minute or so and then freeze. It would let me go back but the few shows I tried would always freeze. Soft reboot has so far eliminated the issue, hopefully it will stay that way for a while.
Wetsprocket625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #711
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer View Post
I have not seen any freezing.

Last edited by tootal2 : 07-11-2008 at 12:14 PM.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #712
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxpistol View Post
very frustrating........constant reboots or lockups for over a month..........9.3a has to go, the wife wants results, and we are damn lucky it's the off-season for real tv and football, but you are running out of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are saying that the DVR reboots on its own, or becomes totally unresponsive to the remote, you are NOT experiencing what this thread is about. This thread is discussing the display of a single frame of video (unmoving, frozen image) BUT all other menus and behaviors are normal. In this case, only playback is affected. A reboot resolves the issue.

Again, if your unit is completely locked up or rebooting on its own, you are having a different problem and need to stop associating it with this thread. It only adds to the confusion of others who don't have time to dive through every post in this thread.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #713
wyld

i just ordered another tivo hd for my parents from executive relations and i brought up the issue of freezing to the rep. he was aware of this issue and gave me four possible reasons for its occurrence which i wanted to pass along to the forum:

1) make sure the tivo is plugged directly into a wall socket. supposedly surge protectors can cause a fluctuation in power to the unit, which will cause the tivo to slightly reset, causing a freeze.

2) the current software has some issues, which are being addressed by the staff and should be fixed with the next firmware release.

3) using a tivo network adapter might contribute to the freezing (i don't have one, but have seen the freeze)

4) if using cable card(s), make sure you run the guided setup before inserting and installing the cable card(s)

i'm not sure if this will help any of you, but i thought i'd just pass the info along.
wyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #714
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
i've scanned several threads and not sure if my issue fits a profile or not. i didn't get a picture freeze but a black screen. remote worked. was watching a recorded show when it happened. tried another show - still black. sound okay. it's a (1-month old) series 3, not modified. soft reboot fixed it.

is this something others are seeing as well?
Yes, that's a known issue and was discussed at length in a different thread. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: see if this thread covers what you're talking about.
Mars Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #715
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld View Post
i just ordered another tivo hd for my parents from executive relations and i brought up the issue of freezing to the rep. he was aware of this issue and gave me four possible reasons for its occurrence which i wanted to pass along to the forum:

1) make sure the tivo is plugged directly into a wall socket. supposedly surge protectors can cause a fluctuation in power to the unit, which will cause the tivo to slightly reset, causing a freeze.

2) the current software has some issues, which are being addressed by the staff and should be fixed with the next firmware release.

3) using a tivo network adapter might contribute to the freezing (i don't have one, but have seen the freeze)

4) if using cable card(s), make sure you run the guided setup before inserting and installing the cable card(s)

i'm not sure if this will help any of you, but i thought i'd just pass the info along.
Would you mind sending me a PM with your case information? I'd like to find out which person you spoke with.

#1 is speculation on the agent's part and is not our official stance. I have no idea where this recommendation came from.

#2, we are investigating the issue but the agent is NOT authorized to provide an ETA for resolution, as we have not made any statement to that effect. Stating that it should be fixed in the next upgrade is pure speculation on the agent's part. We try to train them to use language to avoid speculation but it still happens. It's also possible the agent was relying heavily on the qualifier in that statement ("should") rather than use more direct language.

#3, more speculation. We have not provided any guidance about the adapter in regards to the video freeze issue

#4, also unrelated.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #716
Langree
The Gimp

I keep mine on a UPS along with my router and DSL modem. The place I live gets unexplained power drops, I hear my UPS kick on for a split second almost daily but my equipment doesn't miss a tick. It used to, drove me nuts.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #717
bdooner

The freeze has been happening more to me -- 3 time in the past week.
Maybe we need to start posting to potential buyers on CNET and PCWORLD and PCMAG.
if TiVo doesn't get with it and fix this problem.

TIVO ARE YOU LISTENING?
bdooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #718
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdooner View Post
The freeze has been happening more to me -- 3 time in the past week.
Maybe we need to start posting to potential buyers on CNET and PCWORLD and PCMAG.
if TiVo doesn't get with it and fix this problem.

TIVO ARE YOU LISTENING?
I think if you unplug for 30 sec and plug it back in. Instead of rebooting it. the freeze problem will go way for 2 weeks.

Last edited by tootal2 : 07-11-2008 at 11:07 PM.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #719
Deanq4
TiVo Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I think if you unplug it instead of rebooting it. the freeze problem will go way for 2 weeks.
I think if you unplug it, it will go away all together.... at least till you plug it back in :P

Hey, at least tivo is trying to do something, it seems that they are a lot more involved than a lot of other companies.

Live music is better! It's all one song!
Deanq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:50 AM   #720
SamD

Freezing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
This thread is discussing the display of a single frame of video (unmoving, frozen image) BUT all other menus and behaviors are normal. In this case, only playback is affected. A reboot resolves the issue.
Exactly this happens to my one week old TiVo HD.
Two freezes in three days. No evident reason, one time during playing recorded show, second time on live TV viewing. Reboot restores normal operation.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote