jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #1472
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
http://www.avsforum.com/

The Phoenix local thread.
Can you post a direct url to the thread? There are a ton of forums on that site and I haven't been able to locate the one you're speaking of.

thx
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #1473
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
Can you post a direct url to the thread? There are a ton of forums on that site and I haven't been able to locate the one you're speaking of.

thx
Try this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=Phoenix
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #1474
nightdesigns

Good News!... And Bad news... Phoenix Area Cards

So after the tech came out today and replaced my M-Card with a new M-card that did the same thing (161-38 Error, partial recordings, firmware loop, long tuning times), he called in to cox HQ and got this piece of news..

"Cox is aware of the problem with Cable Cards and Tivos, however they do not have a time of when this will be repaired."

Bad news is that there's no repair time, however, at least they're acknowledging the issue in the Phoenix Area. Hope...maybe
nightdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #1475
Pafrican

I went a few months with no issues with my two S-Cards in my TivoHD (after having moved away from an M-Card)

Now I'm having problems again. Channels dropping out and then coming back shortly thereafter.

Ugh.
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #1476
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Since they just finished working together on the firmware that ended up braking things for us in Phoenix, hopefully Cox/SA/Cisco/Tivo will be able to jump right back into investigations.

The monthly "SubExpireTime not updating" bug seems to be resolved. So at least we won't have to call Cox each month.

The two remaining issues are:
  1. Lost channels (used to happen maybe once a week, now is happening several times a day). This makes it almost not worth watching the Tivo.
  2. Firmware update bug (my upgrade went through w/o error... but appearantly others are stuck)

BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #1477
JayBird

I have a TiVo HD with an M card, and I'm also seeing the 161-38 error several times per day since the update (anybody know what this error is?), as well as getting a lot of partial recordings. The firmware update happenned when we were out of town on vacation the last week of June. I haven't seen any firmware upgrade loops, although to be safe, I removed channel 199 from the list of channels I receive (assuming it stays removed, as certain channels that I remove keep coming back).

As for tuning times, some channels are just fine, while others seem to take a second or two longer than I remember from before the firmware upgrade, but nothing as bad as others have reported. I have the TiVo set to output Native format, so if a channel change results in a switching of formats (e.g. 1080i to 720p), it has always taken a few seconds for the TiVo, my receiver, and TV to sync up to the new format (I use HDMI all the way through).

Obviously the biggest issue right now is the partial recordings, as my wife's tolerance for missing a portion of her shows has reached the limit. If it wasn't for the fact I still have my old S1 hooked up recording the same season passes (albeit not in HD) as a backup, I'd be in the dog house for introducing such unreliable technology into the house.

I'm tired of hearing TiVo blame Cox and SA, Cox blame SA and TiVo, and SA blame TiVo and Cox. It's time for these three entities to take some responsibility for solving these problems and work together to come up with solutions, and to fix it right without introducing yet more problems with their updates. Is it really that hard to get it right??? Have they never heard of regression testing?

Note that the S card in my TV (Pioneer PDP-6010HD) has worked flawlessly since it was installed, although I watch live TV directly on the TV so rarely that it could have had issues that I never noticed.

Last edited by JayBird : 07-08-2008 at 11:06 AM.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #1478
Rolow

I'm at the point I'm getting more partial recordings then complete ones. Today I set my tivo to record the Tour DE France at 3 different times on 2 different channels and my tivo did not get a single complete recording. I also got 3 partial recordings yesterday.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #1479
jeffinaz
Phoenix

Same problem

I get the 161-38 error, partial recording, etc. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Has anyone spoken with Cox and had them give you any info other than a truck roll?

Thanks
jeffinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #1480
nightdesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinaz View Post
I get the 161-38 error, partial recording, etc. This is getting to be ridiculous.

Has anyone spoken with Cox and had them give you any info other than a truck roll?

Thanks
Yes, read my post here: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...48#post6454148
Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #1481
nemein

For now my problem is mostly resolved. The 2 Scards, as opposed to the Mcard, seems to have done the trick. I now have all the SD channel in the digital tier, however I'm still missing several HD channels. I was told this is to be expected (not sure if it's related to the SDV thing or not). I'll probably stick w/ this for a little while, but I still may check in on FIOS and see if they can get all the channels on their cards.

Thanks for the help...
nemein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #1482
nightdesigns

A Little Extra

I was able to obtain this piece of info from a Cox tech

Quote:
The issue as far as I understand it has something to do with the way cable cards work in a TiVo on switched digital video systems. Unfortunately, cable card maker's support stops at the card and TiVo's support stops at the slot and each side likes to blame the other. At this point, we're not pointing fingers but continue to research the issue.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #1483
ndfox1

FWIW, I have been having the same problems as everyone else - channel drops, some channels working while others don't, etc.

I had a Cox tech come out and he changed out one of my M-Cards for another slightly more recent one. It seems to help, but not fix the problem. The Cox tech said it was a TiVo/CableCard problem.

Immediately after he left, I called TiVo. After describing all of the problems to support, the TiVo rep said that TiVo is aware of the problem and has a beta already being tested. He said it was expected to be rolled out in a week or two.

I'm not sure if this helps or not. I mean - is it actually a TiVo problem that they are fixing, are they actually close to rolling it out, etc. But hopefully the Tech was honest and they are working the issue.

Last edited by ndfox1 : 07-08-2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo
ndfox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #1484
Joel47

That's good to hear. A tech just left my house without doing anything to the cablecard -- I told him I knew it was valley-wide, so unless he thought it would help, he should just check and make sure I was getting a good signal. (He was very useful in tracking down a ground loop caused by the cable, though.) My signal is now fine, and he and I spent a few minutes complaining about the three-way blame-fest that is Cox/SA/Tivo. He apologized profusely for the goings-on, and requested patience.
Joel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #1485
ksalwitz

Update from Gilbert

cox tech showed up yesterday (on time!) and swapped out the mcard on my Tivo. during the course of the conversation he repeated what has been posted oftern is that it's a Scientific Atlanta card and it's a compatability problem with the Tivo. Makes sense then that the Cox dvr that he has (Scientific atlanta make) works fine with the card. all of the channels were working fine when the tech left. later in the evening some of the channels started to flake out again. this morning i had dropped channels and the diagnostic programs on the card are all wiped. none of the card based diagnostics will run. it just displays file not found messages on each screen. i did check these yesterday and they were working fine. i'm ready to throw in the towel and just cough up the extra bucks for the cable box and hook that to the Tivo. i've done that in the past and the Tivo in my master br is hooked up that way.

Ken

Humax Series 2 Tivo - T800 - Tivo Wireless (soon to retire)
Series 2 Tivo TCD54080 - Tivo Wireless
2 HD TCD652160-cable card (MS)-Tivo Wireless SDV
Wireless networked - Linksys WRT54G

ksalwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1486
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalwitz View Post
cox tech showed up yesterday (on time!) and swapped out the mcard on my Tivo. during the course of the conversation he repeated what has been posted oftern is that it's a Scientific Atlanta card and it's a compatability problem with the Tivo. Makes sense then that the Cox dvr that he has (Scientific atlanta make) works fine with the card. all of the channels were working fine when the tech left. later in the evening some of the channels started to flake out again. this morning i had dropped channels and the diagnostic programs on the card are all wiped. none of the card based diagnostics will run. it just displays file not found messages on each screen. i did check these yesterday and they were working fine. i'm ready to throw in the towel and just cough up the extra bucks for the cable box and hook that to the Tivo. i've done that in the past and the Tivo in my master br is hooked up that way.

Ken
what kind tivo whould you hook the cox box to? The S3 and TivoHD are not made to take an external source.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #1487
saibari

Quote:
First, check your cable card firmware version. Towards the end of June, Cisco/Scientific Atlanta distributed an upgrade that was supposed to address a couple of problems. I think it succeded but the upgrade introduced a new one, the upgrade loop. If your cable card firmware version ends in "0301" and you have been watching TV since then you have probably never seen the upgrade loop problem. For now, avoid channels 61, 199, and 266 and you should be OK. Actually, some people got the upgraded firmware and can tune those channels without any problem so if you feel brave...

Your current problem does not, I believe, involve your cable cards. You are losing your digital signal all together, or the signal gets so weak you cannot tune it. This comes and goes with no intervention by you. It will result in lost or partial recordings and interrupted live viewing. The signal may not come back for several minutes or it may come back in a few seconds. Theloss of signal will affect any digital station, encrypted or not, local rebroadcast or cable-originated.

The old loss of channels problem you mention did involve your cable cards. They would get messed up and refuse to let you watch channels but the signal was still coming in to your house. A reboot of the TiVo would reboot the cable cards and they would function OK for days or longer if you were lucky. Cable cards do two things. When you tune a station the cable card checks to see if you subscribe to that channel and if you do it decrypts the scrambled signal so you can watch it. The signal to your house and TiVo had to be good, of course for the cable cards to have anything to work with and before July 1 the signal was OK. Now it is the digital signal itself that seems to be messed up and to come and go. Thus, assuming the firmware upgrade took you may have fixed the loss of channels problem (caused by cable cards not letting you watch) only to suffer the loss of good signal caused by some screw-up by Cox.

I got my firmware upgrade on the 26th of June and I think it fixed my flaky cable card problem but caused the upgrade loop problem. I avoided the latter by staying away from problem channels but after July 1 I began suffering the loss of signal problems. Between June 26th and July 1 I had it petty good.
Yes, my firmware version does end in 0301. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for the explanation. Frankly, I get very confused by the technical aspects of all this. But this leaves me wondering why Cox told me that this is a cablecard problem.
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #1488
saibari

OTA problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
So last nights NASCAR race on 726 stopped mid recording twice. The second time the tivo rebooted on its own and has been fine since. I'm setting my second tivo hd that's OTA to record the F1 and Indy Car race as a back up.
So have you had any problems with your OTA TiVo? If not, then that means there's not an issue with the TiVo itself if it gets a reliable signal and doesn't have to deal with cablecards. However, someone on another thread reported that they do have problems with their OTA-connected TiVo...
Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #1489
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdesigns View Post
So after the tech came out today and replaced my M-Card with a new M-card that did the same thing (161-38 Error, partial recordings, firmware loop, long tuning times), he called in to cox HQ and got this piece of news..

"Cox is aware of the problem with Cable Cards and Tivos, however they do not have a time of when this will be repaired."

Bad news is that there's no repair time, however, at least they're acknowledging the issue in the Phoenix Area. Hope...maybe
Wish I could be so positive about this. However, given there's no estimated time of reaching a solution and given that this may not be a cablecard problem after all, I'm just madder than ever!
Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #1490
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
So have you had any problems with your OTA TiVo? If not, then that means there's not an issue with the TiVo itself if it gets a reliable signal and doesn't have to deal with cablecards. However, someone on another thread reported that they do have problems with their OTA-connected TiVo...
My OTA/ basic cable tivo HD is fine. I'm moving every recording I can over to it until my CC tivo HD gets some sort of fix. So now my season pass's will be split between to tivo's. I'll never be able to find anything.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #1491
ksalwitz

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
what kind tivo whould you hook the cox box to? The S3 and TivoHD are not made to take an external source.
yeah. i'm on the phone with tivo right now. the tech support guy tried to tell me it would work. i'm screwed now. i turned in the cable card and got the digital box before i looked at the rear panel and realized there was no ir port!!! i have my series 2 hooked up to the digital box i have in the mbr. shoulda checked this post before i ran out to the cox store.

ken

Old 07-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #1492
saibari

Exclamation FCC Complaint--PLEASE READ!

I've been trying to reach Cox for 30 minutes now and keep getting the message that "all circuits are busy." Hmmmm, I wonder why...could it be that they have a ton of dissatisfied customers calling them?! I am completely fed up with this situation! I just filed a complaint with the FCC. I don't know if it will do any good, but we'll see.

PLEA TO EVERYONE: Please file your own complaint with the FCC! In it, please reference my complaint number so they'll know it's a related complaint. The number is: 08-C00034081 and, be sure to mention that this complaint was filed over the internet.

Here's the link: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.h...e640&id=d1e735
In the complaint I noted that we are receiving completely unreliable service; that no sooner is one problem solved, another arises; and that Cox, TiVo, and Scientific Atlanta point fingers at each other leaving the consumer out in the cold and paying for unacceptably bad service! I did not give details of the problems experienced since you're limited in how much info you can include. I just noted that currently, due to intermittent and repeated dropped signals I am unable to enjoy live TV and cannot reliably record anything due to partial recordings resulting from the dropped signals. I also noted that this is a widespread problem that is occurring all over the USA.

As soon as I manage to get through to Cox they are going to get an earful!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #1493
ksalwitz

Quote:
yeah. i'm on the phone with tivo right now. the tech support guy tried to tell me it would work. i'm screwed now. i turned in the cable card and got the digital box before i looked at the rear panel and realized there was no ir port!!! i have my series 2 hooked up to the digital box i have in the mbr. shoulda checked this post before i ran out to the cox store.

ken
well i just got off the phone with tivo. it seems if you push hard enough and get a supervisor on the phone they will submit your case for "review" i'm supposed to hear back by Friday. I told them i wanted to return in and i wanted my money back. they sold me a piece of equipment that is incompatible with the technology required to use it! when i told the guy that it was not compatible with the SA card, he asked me if i tried a Motorola card! like it's a menu item and you can get whatever brand you want from the cable company. heh...wouldn't that be nice?!?!?

ken

Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #1494
Rolow

Quote:
well i just got off the phone with tivo. it seems if you push hard enough and get a supervisor on the phone they will submit your case for "review" i'm supposed to hear back by Friday. I told them i wanted to return in and i wanted my money back. they sold me a piece of equipment that is incompatible with the technology required to use it! when i told the guy that it was not compatible with the SA card, he asked me if i tried a Motorola card! like it's a menu item and you can get whatever brand you want from the cable company. heh...wouldn't that be nice?!?!?

ken
Up until now I had all the faith in the world in Tivo. Now I'm not so sure. Thank you I needed a laugh.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #1495
colflagg

Cox postponed launches of USA HD, CNBC HD+ and Lifetime HD

Looks like SDV and cablecard issues are causing some delays in rolling out new HD channels....I just got this e-mail from Cox.

Dear Valued Cox Customer,

While Cox Communications Arizona strives to bring you the best in high-definition programming, we have postponed the launches of USA HD, CNBC HD+ and Lifetime HD until July 21.

USA HD and CNBC HD+ will join the Cox HD line-up in time to provide more than 275 hours of combined coverage during the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing, which begin Aug. 8.

High-definition Olympics coverage will also be found on KPNX -HD channel 712 in Phoenix and KOVA-HD channel 704 in Tucson, and Universal HD (channel 725 in Phoenix and channel 724 in Tucson).

Overall, there will be more than 750 hours of Olympics coverage in HD available on Cox Digital Cable. More than 725 hours of standard definition coverage will be provided on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Telemundo and Oxygen.

We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy the Summer Games on Cox Digital Cable!

Sincerely,
Cox Communications
colflagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #1496
hddude55

Quote:
I am not sure these are cablecard problems as I think I have seen people on other forums complain of problems with Cox STBs and DVRs. I am more inclined to think the rollout of SDV has caused system-wide problems.

This was one of the problems the 0301 firmware upgrade was supposed to have fixed and may have since my SubExpTime was changed to 30 July after the FW upgrade. The upgrade was also supposed to address the loss of channels problem that seemed to involve cable cards losing their authorizations or something such that encrypted channels would be blanked out but local digital rebroadcasts would still come through. Again, for me the firmware upgrade seems to have fixed that (too soon to tell for sure.) Of course, the FW upgrade has introduced the upgrade loop problem that causes a bit of grief to some (like me) and tons of grief to others.

The channel loss that seems to have started on or after 1 July is different from the cable card loss of channels. Now, the signal seems to simply go away and come back. It affects all digital channels, whether encrypted or not. A few times, when I was suffering through such a channel/signal loss I navigated to the TiVos diagnostics screen and ran a channel signal strength test. Sometimes the channel I had been trying to view would show no signal at all, sometimes a very low one but no picture on the diagnostic screen. Other times, the lost channel would pop right up and I could check other channels all showing good channel strength, but when I went back to live TV some or all of the channels I had checked would still be blank. Other times every thing was fine when I went back to live TV.

So, two problems, one related to cable cards, the other perhaps not, tightly linked in our minds because the FW upgrade happened to take place just days before SDV was turned on. Should make for some fun for the people trying to fix them, assuming there are such people.
I tend to agree with almost everything you have written as it correlates to my series3's experience over the past two weeks. What remains a mystery is what actually caused this "new" fading out/reappearing channels problem on July 1 since sdv wasn't rolled out -- and why the heck whatever was done on that day hasn't been reversed in the past week! I have a hunch there is a lot more to the story than we've been told. Complicating the picture is the fact lots of people didn't have the positive experience you and I seemingly did with the 0301 "fix."
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #1497
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by colflagg View Post
Looks like SDV and cablecard issues are causing some delays in rolling out new HD channels....I just got this e-mail from Cox.

Well, I believe we were told new HD channels would be sdv and sdv was supposed to be rolled out a week ago. I believe something associated with that aborted roll-out has caused the latest fading in/out channels issue. Hopefully the turkeys at Cox are spending most of their time fixing what they broke on July 1. New channels can wait.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #1498
hddude55

161-10 error code just popped up on my series3

I hate Cox. I hate Tivo. I hate Scientific Atlanta. Did I miss anyone?

Does anyone here know what that means? I don't want to waste any time calling the buffoons at Cox or TiVo.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #1499
nightdesigns

I think something happened

6 out of 7 recordings were successful today! I don't know if they fixed the issue, or rolled back SDV, but either way, I have TV to watch. Can anyone else confirm? Previous to today, i had about a 95% fail rate!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #1500
jeffinaz
Phoenix

Nothing fixed on my end. 5 restarts today. 4 of 5 screwed recordings. Ongoing channel loss and freezes. Everyday gets worse.
jeffinaz is offline   Reply With Quote