TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Tivo Desktop - "The Parameter is Incorrect"

Okay, so I've googled this one to no avail. I've got two machines - one this works fine on, the other it doesn't. Both Vista Ultimate 32-bit. And I have it working in a Virtual PC (XP Pro) on the same machine that it won't work on natively.

I get an error when it tries to start Tivo Desktop or Tivo Server, saying "The Parameter is Incorrect".

Weird, huh? I've uninstalled, cleaned the registry of anything with the word Tivo, zapped the User/Tivo directory, etc.

Any ideas on this one? I've never seen it before, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
bfdhe
TiVo Junkie

I have two Vista Ultimate machines that I cannot get any version of Tivo Desktop to work on.

Downloaded 2.5.1 last night and still get "Tivo server error" "access denied" when I try to run Tivo Desktop.

I have searched for over an hour but cannot find a fix.
bfdhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

I installed TiVo Desktop 2.5 last night on my Vista Ultimate machine and it works fine for me.

Do you have User Access Control disabled in Vista? That might cause some problems if it isn't.
The first thing I did after the Vista install was to disable UAC since it seems to be a pain allowing access when something externally needs to access the PC or the PC needs to access something on the network. It was just too many hoops to jump through to work properly.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
bfdhe
TiVo Junkie

I do have UAC turned off. I am also running as an administrator.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
tnakelsk@optonli

Had the same problem last night. I did a force connect to Tivo and received some updates. After the update completed It all worked. Make sure that you check the "transfers allowed" on the tivo site in your account manager. It also states that it can take up to 24 hours to take effect. I had done this earlier in the day and I believe that the force connect to Tivo services brought the settings down because after the update a new option was added under system and messages screen that had a tag to display your media key. Wasn't their prior to the updates.

Last edited by tnakelsk@optonli : 10-24-2007 at 11:23 AM.
tnakelsk@optonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
bfdhe
TiVo Junkie

The transfers are working fine between the 3 Tivos.

I am discussing the TivoDesktop software. The software will not run on Vista and the server service ends with "access denied".
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
tnakelsk@optonli

So am I. After installing the desktop software. I could transfer pictures and music down to the series 3 but everytime I tried to get the now playlist from the desktop software I got the same message "access denied" My desktop is running on Vista also.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
bfdhe
TiVo Junkie

My error occurs before the TivoDesktop software even runs. It occurs when the service is starting.

I don't think we have the same problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
tnakelsk@optonli

I'm going to make a suggestion. Disconnect your PC from the network (wired and wireless) and try bringing up the Tivodesktop. The error message that you posted actual comes up when selecting "Pick recording to transfer" which actually is trying to conect to a Tivo box. If the media key is not set or is incorrect you will get the message ""Tivo server error" "access denied". If your disconnected from the network you will get the message "there are no Tivo DVR's avaliable"

Try it and see if you get the same message "Tivo server error" "access denied" or different one.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
bfdhe
TiVo Junkie

I went back to version 2.3a which works fine. 2.5 and 2.5.1 give me the error.

The media key is correct as TivoDesktop works fine at 2.3a.

I will give your suggestion a try.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #11
wkc

I had 2.3a months ago and it was working fine.

I just tried 2.5.1 on a new computer and it gave me "The Parameter is Incorrect". Uninstalled it and install 2.3a and it works fine.
wkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
ericgoldy

Fix to this problem

Hello -

Credit to Greg Burns on another thread for posting this, but although I am STILL sitting on hold with Tivo (been on hold for over 45 minutes now as they supposedly try and fix the problem), I found the info that I'm reposting below.

I made this change in my registry and BANG - no more stupid error:

::::

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-492894223-1343024091-1004\Software\TiVo\Desktop\Modules\TivoNowPlaying\config\Loc alRootPath

The value here was E:\\My Tivo Recordings

Changed that to be E:\My Tivo Recordings and everything started right up w/o error.

My directory is "F", but bottom line, I took out the second "\" and I'm good to go.

Thanks again to Greg.
ericgoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
DoneThat2

Fix To This Problem - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgoldy View Post
Hello -

Credit to Greg Burns on another thread for posting this, but although I am STILL sitting on hold with Tivo (been on hold for over 45 minutes now as they supposedly try and fix the problem), I found the info that I'm reposting below.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2025429265-492894223-1343024091-1004\Software\TiVo\Desktop\Modules\TivoNowPlaying\config\Loc alRootPath

Changed that to be E:\My Tivo Recordings and everything started right up w/o error.

My directory is "F", but bottom line, I took out the second "\" and I'm good to go.

Thanks again to Greg.
I've had one PC running "T-Desktop" for quite a while with no problems. Today I installed to another PC and ran into the same problem as others mentioned above, even with downloading the most recent Desktop installer available. I would have spent hours running around in circles trying to identify what the problem was. Instead, did a google for : "the parameter is incorrect +tivo" and came right to this forum response. The fix was all of 30 seconds and it worked perfectly. Thanks!!

(I can't believe Tivo has not made a simple fix to the installer to correct this error. Can you imagine how many man-hours have been wasted not only by consumers in the past 6 months, but also the Tivo support staff, attempting to fix this problem? The lack of an updated installer speaks volumes about Tivo's management priorities-- obviously, quality isn't high on the list.)
DoneThat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
liamnoel12345

Quote:
Hello -

Thanks again to Greg.
I just did this today and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the info.
liamnoel12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
monkeyhouse
Troubled by TWC

The registry fix worked like a charm for me too. I was thinking there was an issue with it running on XP64. I'm also astonished that Tivo haven't issued a fix for such a daft error.

Thanks to Greg Burns and ericgoldy for sharing!
monkeyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
cogitovici

The registry fix worked for me. I have a screwy system, with My Documents on an H drive, as I was using one of those 10K RPM drives as a C drive, and I did not have enough room for all my stuff. I finally got aggravated about that and used Acronis True Image to replace my C with a 750GB. After I did that, with no other changes made by me, I got that Tivo server error. I changed the entry to h:/blahblahblah\My Tivo Recordings and boom, it worked.

Thank you for the fix!
Cogito
cogitovici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Tivo Roxx

Quote:
Hello -

Thanks again to Greg.
Props to Greg (for posting) & ericgoldy (for reposting here) for this fix - it also worked for me. (FYI, the folder directly under HKEY_USERS consisted of some different numbers than what's posted here - may be due to a newer version of TTG? But it's pretty easy to figure out which folder is the one to go to, if your numbers differ, too.) (I have moved the My Documents location from my C drive.)

Last edited by Tivo Roxx : 01-19-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Tivo Roxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #18
taronga

Another solution is to rename the "My Tivo Recordings" folder and restart the Tivo Server. It'll prompt you to select a folder. You can choose the same one or move it elsewhere.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taronga View Post
Another solution is to rename the "My Tivo Recordings" folder and restart the Tivo Server. It'll prompt you to select a folder. You can choose the same one or move it elsewhere.
Not if you get this error it won't.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
taronga

Well, I got that error and it worked for me. I'm running XP though.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
sstankus

Thumbs up Still Helping

Nearly 6 and a half years after ericgoldy posted that registry edit, and it is still helping people.

I just installed a new hard drive and moved all my data from the old drive to the new. After rebooting, TiVo Desktop wouldn't run ("The Parameter is Incorrect"). There was no option to uninstall it and running the installation script failed.

Making that simple registry edit solved the problem.

Thanks!
sstankus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #22
threephi

Make it two weeks shy of six and a half years and counting

I just encountered this problem after dealing with a few disk problems, and the reg fix worked like a charm
threephi is offline   Reply With Quote