TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #211
Bumbestia

OK Good News!!! So they are giving the Mcards!! Now what is the price for the Mcard? it is the same as the Scards? with with Scard you are forced to use 2 cards to get dual tuning;You only need one Mcard to get dual tuner!!, does the Mcard rent cost more?
Bumbestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #212
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbestia View Post
OK Good News!!! So they are giving the Mcards!! Now what is the price for the Mcard? it is the same as the Scards? with with Scard you are forced to use 2 cards to get dual tuning;You only need one Mcard to get dual tuner!!, does the Mcard rent cost more?
They're supposed to charge the same price.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #213
prpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbestia View Post
As Joybob said, the price for the M-card is the same as the S-Card: $1.75.

In my TiVo HD, I replaced the two S-Cards with one M-Card and am saving $10.75 (1.75 + 3.00 additional outlet + 6 HD on 2nd cable card).!!!
prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 AM   #214
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
They're supposed to charge the same price.
I just got my first invoice after getting my M-Cards and they are charging the same.

Too bad S3's still require 2 CableCards...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #215
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot View Post
Ok, after 3 failed attempts...I finally got 2 M-Cards for my two Tivo HD's. !!
Patience is the key... It took about 14 months to get my S3 working 100%... Enjoy your M-Cards!

Quote:
Thanks crabell for hooking me up with her!!
If I recall correctly it was you [prpilot] that got in contact with Neddy Acevedo and when I called her she said Esther Curbelo was the one working with the CableCards... So basically it's a Team Effort, as it should be.

Quote:
The MIS guy was a Mr. Negron. He actually knew a lot about TivoHD and Tivo Series 3. So if your OneLink guy has issues setting the CableCARD up, tell them to talk to Mr. Negron at MIS.
You are 100% correct, Mr. Negron in the MIS department is the man to talk to... I actually have his email address if someone out there is confronting installation problems and can't get in touch with him...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #216
Joybob

These guys haven't announced any new channels...

The lineup is feeling a little anemic.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #217
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
These guys haven't announced any new channels...

The lineup is feeling a little anemic.
I agree...

I thought that Liberty's claim about having "the most HD channels" was going to push them into getting more HD channels, but it just hasn't.

Let's see what happens.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #218
losorio

Hey guys im new to the forum and in the process of getting tivo hd this week, i'll keep you posted to see how simple the process will be to get the mcard since i'm a newbee, thanks
losorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #219
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by losorio View Post
Hey guys im new to the forum and in the process of getting tivo hd this week, i'll keep you posted to see how simple the process will be to get the mcard since i'm a newbee, thanks
Welcome!

If you get in touch with Esther Curbelo you should be in good shape. Don't be surprised if the installer has no idea what (s)he's doing, the person that actually gets the programming done is in the MIS department. If the MIS guy/gal that takes your case seems clueless you should ask your installer to ask for Mr. Negron, since he's the expert in these type of installations.

Before I forget, make sure the CableCard they bring you is actually an M-Card, It should have "multistream" written on it.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #220
losorio

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
Welcome!

If you get in touch with Esther Curbelo you should be in good shape. Don't be surprised if the installer has no idea what (s)he's doing, the person that actually gets the programming done is in the MIS department. If the MIS guy/gal that takes your case seems clueless you should ask your installer to ask for Mr. Negron, since he's the expert in these type of installations.

Before I forget, make sure the CableCard they bring you is actually an M-Card, It should have "multistream" written on it.

Good Luck!
Thanks, BTW can you confirm if the unbox service with amazon works in PR ? This was kind of the main reason why i was interested in getting the tivo hd, hate paying late fees and the vudu box is kind of expensive Gonna be buying the Tivo HD today from Best Buy. Also could you guys tell me if the tivo service can now be activated online via ethernet and if i can use my cable decoder directly connected to the tivo hd decoder so i can star setting up my account before i get my cable card. Sorry for all the ?? but Im really a noob on the whole tivo thing, i'll let you know how things flow with the M-card petition.

Last edited by losorio : 06-23-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #221
crabell

Quote:
Thanks, BTW can you confirm if the unbox service with amazon works in PR ? This was kind of the main reason why i was interested in getting the tivo hd, hate paying late fees and the vudu box is kind of expensive Gonna be buying the Tivo HD today from Best Buy. Also could you guys tell me if the tivo service can now be activated online via ethernet and if i can use my cable decoder directly connected to the tivo hd decoder so i can star setting up my account before i get my cable card. Sorry for all the ?? but Im really a noob on the whole tivo thing, i'll let you know how things flow with the M-card petition.
I'll try to get some answers for you...

1. The Amazon Unbox does NOT work in Puerto Rico, since we are not a US state. They can tell where you are by your IP address. If you could somehow fake your IP address so that it tells Amazon you are somewhere in the US I guess it would work, but I don't know of anyone that has done this. Instead of renting or buying from Amazon Unbox I use the Netflix service (not the online portion of it) to watch all the DVD's I want for a fixed monthly price and no late fees.

2. I don't know the current pricing in Best Buy, but I got mine in Costco for $249.99 + tax. You may want to check it out if you, or someone you know, has a membership.

3. Regarding on-line account setup... I believe you need to call TiVo to setup your account and then you can make whatever changes you want on-line. They may have changed this, I guess I would try it before calling just in case.

4. I'm not sure what you mean by "use my cable decoder directly connected to the tivo hd decoder so i can star setting up my account before i get my cable card". If you mean connect your cable modem directly to the back of the TiVo, then you can NOT, you would need to get a wired hub (some are very cheap) if your modem is next to your TiVo or a Wireless Router (more expensive and harder to set up) if you will connect your TiVo wirelessly (you would also need TiVo's wireless adapted, which is locally available at some Radio Shack locations). ...If you mean something else, please explain.

If I were you I would activate the TiVo and get it working without CableCards, then force the connection to TiVo several times until you get the latest software version (9.3?) before you install your CableCard.

Good luck getting your M-Card!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #222
losorio

Quote:
I'll try to get some answers for you...

4. I'm not sure what you mean by "use my cable decoder directly connected to the tivo hd decoder so i can star setting up my account before i get my cable card". If you mean connect your cable modem directly to the back of the TiVo, then you can NOT, you would need to get a wired hub (some are very cheap) if your modem is next to your TiVo or a Wireless Router (more expensive and harder to set up) if you will connect your TiVo wirelessly (you would also need TiVo's wireless adapted, which is locally available at some Radio Shack locations). ...If you mean something else, please explain.

If I were you I would activate the TiVo and get it working without CableCards, then force the connection to TiVo several times until you get the latest software version (9.3?) before you install your CableCard.

Good luck getting your M-Card!
What i mean by this is basically leave the cable decoder untocuhed and instead of connecting the coax cable that comes from the cable box to the tv, connecting it to the Tivo HD, same as the instructions provided online, i imagine most people did it this way in earlier days when cable companies in PR didn't provide cable cards.

As for netflix it basically didn't work for me, movies took way too long to arrive by mail, it seems digital video streaming services like unbox, apple tv and vudu is gonna be the way of the future (but that's another topic jeje)
Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #223
crabell

Quote:
What i mean by this is basically leave the cable decoder untocuhed and instead of connecting the coax cable that comes from the cable box to the tv, connecting it to the Tivo HD, same as the instructions provided online, i imagine most people did it this way in earlier days when cable companies in PR didn't provide cable cards.

As for netflix it basically didn't work for me, movies took way too long to arrive by mail, it seems digital video streaming services like unbox, apple tv and vudu is gonna be the way of the future (but that's another topic jeje)
With a TiVo HD or S3 you do NOT use your Cable Box at all (For TiVo Series 2's you do), just connect the coax cable from the wall to the back of your TiVo and return your Cable Box. You may be looking that the diagrams for an S2. If you want to keep your cable box while you setup your TiVo, then you need to split the cable before it gets to your Cable Box.

Regarding the Netflix, Unbox, etc. topic, I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the service and it is another subject... It's just too bad it's not working outside the US for now.

Good luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #224
losorio

Quote:
With a TiVo HD or S3 you do NOT use your Cable Box at all (For TiVo Series 2's you do), just connect the coax cable from the wall to the back of your TiVo and return your Cable Box. You may be looking that the diagrams for an S2. If you want to keep your cable box while you setup your TiVo, then you need to split the cable before it gets to your Cable Box.

Regarding the Netflix, Unbox, etc. topic, I guess it depends on what you want to get out of the service and it is another subject... It's just too bad it's not working outside the US for now.

Good luck!
Hmm that's awesome, so basically all you need a cable card for is to get hd channels ? What happens if you plug your coax cable directly from the wall to Tivo HD, do you get all the channels in your line up except the hd channels?

I'm asking because i'm really not into hd since the variety is not that much, so if I don't get the cable card and still manage to get Tivo with my provider and return the decoder box thats like a 22 dollar a month saving.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #225
crabell

Quote:
Hmm that's awesome, so basically all you need a cable card for is to get hd channels ? What happens if you plug your coax cable directly from the wall to Tivo HD, do you get all the channels in your line up except the hd channels?

I'm asking because i'm really not into hd since the variety is not that much, so if I don't get the cable card and still manage to get Tivo with my provider and return the decoder box thats like a 22 dollar a month saving.
If you use a TiVo HD without a CableCard you will be able to use channels 2-99 on each tuner only. The CableCard replaces your cablebox and decodes any digital and premium channels you may have (channels 100 & up) and also decodes HD channels if you choose to pay for this option.

I assume you are currently paying for Onelink's "HD DVR", since you menioned a $22 saving. If that is the case I would return the Box BEFORE the CableCard installation, just in case. I returned mine after my CableCard installation and they screwed my CableCard configuration, but maybe it was an isolated event.

You may be saving $22/month, but remember that you would still need to pay for the CableCard ($1.75/ card + $6.00 aceess charge). If you decide to activate the HD channels there is an additional (subtantial) charge for them, which varies depending on your service level.

You will probably end up saving some money, but I would ask Esther Curbelo about the pricing, just so you know what you are getting into.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #226
losorio

Quote:
If you use a TiVo HD without a CableCard you will be able to use channels 2-99 on each tuner only. The CableCard replaces your cablebox and decodes any digital and premium channels you may have (channels 100 & up) and also decodes HD channels if you choose to pay for this option.

I assume you are currently paying for Onelink's "HD DVR", since you menioned a $22 saving. If that is the case I would return the Box BEFORE the CableCard installation, just in case. I returned mine after my CableCard installation and they screwed my CableCard configuration, but maybe it was an isolated event.

You may be saving $22/month, but remember that you would still need to pay for the CableCard ($1.75/ card + $6.00 aceess charge). If you decide to activate the HD channels there is an additional (subtantial) charge for them, which varies depending on your service level.

You will probably end up saving some money, but I would ask Esther Curbelo about the pricing, just so you know what you are getting into.

Good Luck!
If i don't need the cable card to have the 2-99 channel line up i'm golden, since i don't watch any of the 100 and up crappy channel lineup, all the good ones like mtv, comedy central and the network channels are in the 2-99 line up, and i don't have any premiums like hbo or showtime, this is great news, gonna be saving a lot of money in my monthly bill. DVR charges from One link are insane.

You guys have been a lot of help, it's amazing what you can learn on these forums.

Another question, can you record a program and view something else while recording ?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #227
crabell

Quote:
If i don't need the cable card to have the 2-99 channel line up i'm golden, since i don't watch any of the 100 and up crappy channel lineup...
If you don't watch any channels above 99 you actually don't need at TiVo HD, you could manage with a TiVo Series 2, Double Tuner. But, since you can't order them from tivo.com from PR and I believe they are no longer beign manufactured you might as well go for the TiVo HD. I actually saw an S2 at Radio Shack for $150, but I don't think its worth it... they are too slow and have less storage capacity (80 hrs).
Also if you get a TiVo HD and decide to get premium channles, HD, etc you have the capability and the S2 doesn't.

Quote:
Another question, can you record a program and view something else while recording ?
Yes you can! You can watch one channels while recording another or record two channels, while watching a recorded program.

Good luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #228
losorio

Quote:
If you don't watch any channels above 99 you actually don't need at TiVo HD, you could manage with a TiVo Series 2, Double Tuner. But, since you can't order them from tivo.com from PR and I believe they are no longer beign manufactured you might as well go for the TiVo HD. I actually saw an S2 at Radio Shack for $150, but I don't think its worth it... they are too slow and have less storage capacity (80 hrs).
Also if you get a TiVo HD and decide to get premium channles, HD, etc you have the capability and the S2 doesn't.
I actually saw a series 2 today at best buy priced at $136.00 after the rebate, but after reading this i'll sleep on it cause looks like HD is the way of the future, but frankly i never watched any of the HD channels so I'm kinda giving my cash away to one link. As for it being slow i imagine it must be kind of bothersome. I remember my first 40 hr DVR was and Echostar with Dish and that damn thing was slow as hell plus it froze half the time, hated it. Probably go the HD way, we'll see. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #229
crabell

Quote:
I actually saw a series 2 today at best buy priced at $136.00 after the rebate, but after reading this i'll sleep on it cause looks like HD is the way of the future, but frankly i never watched any of the HD channels so I'm kinda giving my cash away to one link. As for it being slow i imagine it must be kind of bothersome. I remember my first 40 hr DVR was and Echostar with Dish and that damn thing was slow as hell plus it froze half the time, hated it. Probably go the HD way, we'll see. Thanks for all the info.
If I were you I would be careful about the "rebate" unless its automatic (as opposed to mail-in) or you are 100% sure you qualify. Sometimes it can be kind of tricky to actually get these rebates due to the terms and conditions, expiration dates, etc.

I would go with the TiVo HD because it is faster, has more storage capacity (180 hrs. vs 80), the storage capacity can be easily expanded via eSATA, can decode digital & HD programming with CableCards (if you decide to do that in the future) and has the latest technology of any TiVo DVR, so you know it won't become obsolete anytime soon.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #230
losorio

Quote:
If I were you I would be careful about the "rebate" unless its automatic (as opposed to mail-in) or you are 100% sure you qualify. Sometimes it can be kind of tricky to actually get these rebates due to the terms and conditions, expiration dates, etc.

I would go with the TiVo HD because it is faster, has more storage capacity (180 hrs. vs 80), the storage capacity can be easily expanded via eSATA, can decode digital & HD programming with CableCards (if you decide to do that in the future) and has the latest technology of any TiVo DVR, so you know it won't become obsolete anytime soon.

Good Luck!
I buyed the Tivo hd from Best Buy, my pocket got murdered, gonna be installing i'll keep you guys posted about my install, hope everything flows
Old 06-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #231
losorio

Just finished installing my tivo hd, all i can say is WOWOWOW. My first tivo ever and is truly amazing, image quality is unreal and the user friendly menus are heaven. I hated my cable dvr and of course will be returning it first thing monday morning. Gonna order the M-card on the on monday and see how everything turns out. TIVO FTW
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #232
crabell

Quote:
Just finished installing my tivo hd, all i can say is WOWOWOW. My first tivo ever and is truly amazing, image quality is unreal and the user friendly menus are heaven. I hated my cable dvr and of course will be returning it first thing monday morning. Gonna order the M-card on the on monday and see how everything turns out. TIVO FTW
I'm glad you like it and wait until you get the hang of Season Passes, Wishlists, TiVo Suggestions, TiVo Desktop, etc.

Did you connect it to your home network? Doing so adds a bunch of interesting features you may find interesting.

It look like you decided to get digital and/or Premium channles... Good luck with your M-Card installation.

Enjoy you new TiVo!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 07-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #233
Joybob

According to El Nuevo Dia, Liberty Cablevision is going to start offering 30 mbps internet speeds.

Why are these guys lagging so far behind them?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #234
shawtd

Lots Of Info Here!!

Hey guys. I just moved to PR from Texas last month. I've got a s3 tivo and love it. But when I called OL to set up my install they told me they didn't have cable cards. None. Period. I just assumed they were behind the times. However, I read every post in this thread today starting from 11/2006.

I've learned a lot, but still have one important question. How is picture quality? Right now, I've got the simple cable hooked to my S3 with no cable cards. I get 2-99, but most of the channels get poor picture. Almost none of the channels are clear.

So, what is your picture quality like on regular channels? How about digital channels? How about the HD channels?

Lastly, are any of the CBS, ABC, NBC channels in HD?

Thanks in advance for all the help. You guys are top notch!
shawtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #235
Joybob

Regular channels look regular, digital channels look a bit better, HD channels look better than some of what I've seen from the states; no pixelation or audio problems.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #236
shawtd

Thanks!

Joybob-First of all, thanks for the reply. But, I've got to ask....regular for here or regular for the states. I've got a co-worker/friend who has lived here for 4 years and says my picture is what is normal for here. It is NOT normal for Texas, Indiana, or Illinois. So, is regular a good clear picture or fuzzy but regular for PR.

Sorry for the pestering questions.

Anybody else got input?

Thanks!
shawtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #237
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawtd View Post
Joybob-First of all, thanks for the reply. But, I've got to ask....regular for here or regular for the states. I've got a co-worker/friend who has lived here for 4 years and says my picture is what is normal for here. It is NOT normal for Texas, Indiana, or Illinois. So, is regular a good clear picture or fuzzy but regular for PR.

Sorry for the pestering questions.

Anybody else got input?

Thanks!
I might say fuzzy. The local fox channel is terrible. Depends on the channel mostly.

Oh, ABC, NBC, FOX etc. are not HD since they are not broadcasted locally in high def.

I'm a big fan of House so I end up having to download them to get it in high def.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #238
prpilot

Quote:
Hey guys. I just moved to PR from Texas last month. I've got a s3 tivo and love it. But when I called OL to set up my install they told me they didn't have cable cards. None. Period. I just assumed they were behind the times. However, I read every post in this thread today starting from 11/2006.
They are lying.. Call again. Or call Ms Curbelo directly (her phone is somewhere in this thread. Unless they temporarily ran out, but that's a violation of the FCC mandate. If so, you should get the FCC engaged (they were the ones that fixed this whole mess initially!). You can submit an FCC complaint via their website. That's what I did, and now I have HD/Premium channels on my TiVo HD.

Quote:
I've learned a lot, but still have one important question. How is picture quality? Right now, I've got the simple cable hooked to my S3 with no cable cards. I get 2-99, but most of the channels get poor picture. Almost none of the channels are clear.
Depends where you live. In my case, TBS and FOX look super crappy. The rest are ok (but none up to mainland standards). If you are having issues with the signal strength, you can call OneLink and have them re-wire your house (that's what my father-in-law did recently). You, of course, have to demonstrate that the signal is bad by usually tuning channels 2-99 on a big screen TV (42" or bigger).

Quote:
So, what is your picture quality like on regular channels? How about digital channels? How about the HD channels?
HD channels are simply amazing! I have NOT had any picture/audio quality issues.

Quote:
Lastly, are any of the CBS, ABC, NBC channels in HD?
Nope.. we are still waiting for those affiliates to start transmitting in HD, which I don't have too much hope it will happen soon since their only advertisers seem to be Medalla.
Thanks in advance for all the help. You guys are top notch![/quote]
prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #239
crabell

Quote:
Anybody else got input?
Regarding the picture quality:
Analog Channels 2-99 = Mediocre Quality, but get used to it.
Digital Channels (100+) with Cable Box = Good Quality
Digital Channels (100+) with CableCards = Very Good Quality
HD Channles (600+) = Excellent Quality, depending on the original format (i.e. movies from the 50's upscaled do not look that good).

Regarding the CableCards... Contact Ms. Esther Curbelo... she will get you your CableCards...

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 09-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #240
xcapepr

Hello, I'm also from PR and struggling with Onelink to give me some CableCARDS. They carry them but they don't just hand them over. An installer has to come over, followed by a $30 chargo for the installation.

I have an appointment for Thursday to have the CableCARD installed on the TiVo HD I purchased recently.

Anyway, I have a question, the guy that helped me sad that only the main channel for each premium channel would be viewable (the main HOB, Starz, etc) instead of seeing the whole range of channels.

Is that even true?