Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #31
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashi View Post
Hi AbMagFab, I have a 705. I am ready to update the DSP f/w but understand this will not take care of the delay in changing audio formats but only pops from DTS HD Master sources. Is this correct?

I gather I will need to update the 'main' firmware on my 705 to fix the delay issue and that update is more complicated than playing a .wav file from my CD player. Have you done this or do you know of others who have? I was trying to find this information in the update forum, but it is now very large and focuses a lot on DSP and higher models than 705, so if you can help it will save me a lot more searching.

Btw, which model do you have? Thanks.
I have a 905.

Check out the AVS forums, and there's a thread dedicated to the Onkyo firmware updates. Everything you need is there.

It's easy to upgrade the FW. Just plug in a laptop with a serial cable (or USB-to-serial cable), and run the program.

There are some special circumstances in some cases if you are starting with old version of the firmware, but usually that just means two firmware upgrades.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #32
Shashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
I have a 905.

Check out the AVS forums, and there's a thread dedicated to the Onkyo firmware updates. Everything you need is there.

It's easy to upgrade the FW. Just plug in a laptop with a serial cable (or USB-to-serial cable), and run the program.

There are some special circumstances in some cases if you are starting with old version of the firmware, but usually that just means two firmware upgrades.
Okay AbMagFab, will find those posts in AVS and do it using my laptop.

Please do let me know if you have heard anything advising **not** to do main firmware update for 705s or that it is not worth doing as it will **not** fix the audio dropouts/delays in 705s. Anyone else who can comment on this? Thanks.
Shashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #33
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
Wow... I've explained three times now, but go ahead and continue to basically ignore me. There's an easy solution to your problem, but you don't seem to want it.

Best of luck to you!
No, you seem to be misunderstanding me. I do not have the problem that the firmware update fixes. (DTS-HD MA popping), nor do I have a delay in switching audio formats. The only thing I have is a completely unavoidable side effect of switching off the surround channels to remove load on the amplifier, thus reducing THD.

Yeesh. Click is relays. Pop is DSP.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #34
cmeinck

I'm having the same problem with an Onkyo TX-SR805 and TivoHD. I have the latest firmware 1.08. I tried setting the various listening modes, but this receiver has a mind of it's own. It's maddening. When I select a channel, I get a click (Receiver displays All Stereo or something along those lines) then switches to a proper surround mode. The click is coming from the speakers and not acceptible. Coming from a Pioneer Elite VSX-74 and might be going back if I cannot resolve. Tried a complete reset of the Onkyo and same thing. Oddly enough, this issue does not affect a DirecTV HR20.

Can anyone provide help on this issue? I'd rather not box up the Onkyo and send it back. Shipping alone would be $50 or more.
cmeinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
kettleone

Sorry to revive an old thread but ...

I have an Onkyo 705 and have never had any clicking or static zaps when I had my Comcast DVR but now with TIVO HD it is a noise factory that is going to drive me crazy.

With that said the Tivo must handle audio output differently than the Comcast DVR. My question is whether updating the firmware is also going to solve the static noise I get after the clicking sound ? I will not leave the audio setting on PCM since I want 5.1 out of the HD channels. If it will not I may have to switch back from HDMI to component cables and an optical output assuming the noises have something to do with HDMI.

Thanks
Dan
kettleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #36
scottvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleone View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but ...

I have an Onkyo 705 and have never had any clicking or static zaps when I had my Comcast DVR but now with TIVO HD it is a noise factory that is going to drive me crazy.

With that said the Tivo must handle audio output differently than the Comcast DVR. My question is whether updating the firmware is also going to solve the static noise I get after the clicking sound ? I will not leave the audio setting on PCM since I want 5.1 out of the HD channels. If it will not I may have to switch back from HDMI to component cables and an optical output assuming the noises have something to do with HDMI.

Thanks
Dan
Nothing to do with hdmi. I tried using optical and it still clicks. I have the latest firmware also. My Yamaha receiver never did this. The last time I buy a Onkyo receiver.
scottvf is offline   Reply With Quote