TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Flyinace2000

TivoHD + Onkyo Reciever CLICK CLICK

When the TiVoHD changes channels the digital audio cuts out temporarily until the new channels tunes. THis causes he receiver to kick back to stereo and then to dolby digital. This switching makes the receiver make a mechanical click noise. Is there a setting on the TiVo i am missing so to not interrupt the sound stream.

Thanks
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post
When the TiVoHD changes channels the digital audio cuts out temporarily until the new channels tunes. THis causes he receiver to kick back to stereo and then to dolby digital. This switching makes the receiver make a mechanical click noise. Is there a setting on the TiVo i am missing so to not interrupt the sound stream.
That doesn't happen with my 605 and S3 over HDMI. I don't have my TiVo HD hooked up to an HTR, so I can't say if it would be any different.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Flyinace2000

How do you route audio to your 605? Does the 605 support HDMI in and out?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
topjazz

Quote:

Thanks
I wish I could help, but I'm experiencing the same 'click'.
topjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
wierdo

Quote:
How do you route audio to your 605? Does the 605 support HDMI in and out?
Yes, the 605 supports HDMI in and out. It's essentially a 2x2 HDMI switch with two inputs and two outputs, one of which is internal to the receiver to play the HDMI audio and the other that you can connect to your television.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
MANOWARę
um, yeah.

I had a similar thing happen when I have the TiVo audio set to Dolby Digital output to PCM instead of just Dolby Digital. I guess PCM does it's own decoding instead of letting the receiver do it. When it's set to just Dolby Digital it works fine.
MANOWARę is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Flyinace2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWARę View Post
I had a similar thing happen when I have the TiVo audio set to Dolby Digital output to PCM instead of just Dolby Digital. I guess PCM does it's own decoding instead of letting the receiver do it. When it's set to just Dolby Digital it works fine.
I tried both, but i like to leave it in Dolby Digital.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Flyinace2000

I think its a function of the Onkyo Receiver. The reciever is switching between modes while the Tivo is tuning into a new channel. It doesn't bother me, but it annoys the snot out of my parents. I am used to my xbox 360 jet engine so a clicking doesn't phase me.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
wierdo

Quote:
I think its a function of the Onkyo Receiver. The reciever is switching between modes while the Tivo is tuning into a new channel. It doesn't bother me, but it annoys the snot out of my parents. I am used to my xbox 360 jet engine so a clicking doesn't phase me.
Playing around with it some more, I can make my receiver do that if I use certain listening modes and switch back and forth between channels in stereo (either PCM or DD) and channels broadcasting 5.1 surround. The click seems to be caused by the receiver switching between 2 channel stereo and surround sound. Force it into surround mode (perhaps setting it to pro logic) when you're on a stereo channel and it'll go away.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
MANOWARę
um, yeah.

Quote:
My yamaha receiver does that too. It's like it senses there is no audio for fraction of a second so it changes to something else (or nothing) then all of a sudden it's back. Needs some kind of buffer.
MANOWARę is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Flyinace2000

Alright, instead of having the Onkyo set to DIRECT i set it to always be in Dolby Digital. The Tivo is set the same way.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
drboom

my panasonic receiver does the same thing. That it does it when changing channels isn't so annoying but that it clicks with every 30-sec skip press is fairly annoying. My tivo HD is set to DD (not pcm) and the receiver, while digital, does not do HDMI.
drboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #13
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had this problem on my Onkyo before a Tivo was even hooked up to it.

It's the receiver, sadly.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
ilh

My 605 doesn't click with DD5.1 drops out (frequently) with the THD. I do get 2-3s of silence when unpausing, skipping forward/backward, but no clicking.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My Pioneer reciever has a display that I can see change between Pro-logic and Dolby Digital during channel changes and sometimes between commercials and show content.
The only time it "clicks" is when changing between inputs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #16
bkdtv

The clicking is caused by the receiver checking the analog input.

On most modern receivers, including many Onkyo and Panasonic models, you can eliminate the clicking by setting the default mode for the receiver's input to digital (or HDMI if using a HDMI receiver) and/or Dolby Digital. On these receiver models, the clicking only occurs if you leave it on the "Auto" setting which forces it to check the analog connection.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Bodie

Try updating your receiver, there's several threads about Onkyo firmware updates on the AVS forum. I'll post a link when I get a little more time to go find it.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #18
Flyinace2000

I ended up make the reciever always be in a 5.1 mode (upsampling 2 channel to 5.1 and when the show is in 5.1 it just does a straight decode. No more clicking. The clicking was from the receiver turning on the rear channels.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #19
RoundBoy

you need to set up the default for all modes in your setup menu. The easiest way is to hit the 'surround' button on the remote when the receiver makes the 'click' noise. This tells the receiver that you wish to use the same processing mode for this new input type its detecting.

The hardest way is to go into the onkyo setup menu and set a default for everything. My preference is currently to 'Theater HD' for everything, as I don't have the 5.1 fully hooked up, just 3.1 currently. I also use surround mono (same sound from all speakers) for when I am in the tivo menu, so i can hear the key beeps.

Also keep in mind that when the tivo is paused, ff, or rw, there is NO audio sent out, so the receiver will click as its essentially getting no input. No way around that.
RoundBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #20
Shashi

Quote:
I ended up make the reciever always be in a 5.1 mode (upsampling 2 channel to 5.1 and when the show is in 5.1 it just does a straight decode. No more clicking. The clicking was from the receiver turning on the rear channels.
Hi Flyinace2000,

I have the same problem after I went up from 5.1 to 7.1 on my 705. I think your solution makes sense and I was thinking on the same lines. Before I try it out, can you please tell me exactly what settings you chose in presetting the listening modes, for each type of input (PCM, Dolby, D.F. 2 Ch, etc.)? Thanks in advance.
Shashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #21
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Upgrade the Onkyo firmware. This was a known issue with Onkyo AVR's, and was fixed in a recent firmware update.

Check out AVS.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #22
Flyinace2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashi View Post
Hi Flyinace2000,

I have the same problem after I went up from 5.1 to 7.1 on my 705. I think your solution makes sense and I was thinking on the same lines. Before I try it out, can you please tell me exactly what settings you chose in presetting the listening modes, for each type of input (PCM, Dolby, D.F. 2 Ch, etc.)? Thanks in advance.
I will get my exact settings when i get home.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #23
Bodie

OK, here is the link: AVS Onkyo Update Thread

Enjoy.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:42 AM   #24
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
Upgrade the Onkyo firmware. This was a known issue with Onkyo AVR's, and was fixed in a recent firmware update.

Check out AVS.
Um, the issue being discussed on this thread isn't popping coming from the speakers due to a DSP programming issue. The issue is the relays physically making noise when the receiver switches between stereo and surround operation. Every HTR I've had (admittedly all low end) does it.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #25
Shashi

Quote:
I will get my exact settings when i get home.
Hi Flyinace2000,

Did you check out your settings? I am keen to use 7.1 if I can, as we have a largish room and the sound does improve with the back surrounds. If I can use it with some presets to avoid the audio dropouts and clicks, it would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #26
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post
Um, the issue being discussed on this thread isn't popping coming from the speakers due to a DSP programming issue. The issue is the relays physically making noise when the receiver switches between stereo and surround operation. Every HTR I've had (admittedly all low end) does it.
Yes, and this was fixed in the latest firmware upgrade. The time it takes to change audio formats on the Onkyo was 3-5 seconds (pre-upgrade), and it's now almost instantaneous.

Upgrade the firmware and you'll be happy.

!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
Shashi

Quote:
Yes, and this was fixed in the latest firmware upgrade. The time it takes to change audio formats on the Onkyo was 3-5 seconds (pre-upgrade), and it's now almost instantaneous.

Hi AbMagFab, I have a 705. I am ready to update the DSP f/w but understand this will not take care of the delay in changing audio formats but only pops from DTS HD Master sources. Is this correct?

I gather I will need to update the 'main' firmware on my 705 to fix the delay issue and that update is more complicated than playing a .wav file from my CD player. Have you done this or do you know of others who have? I was trying to find this information in the update forum, but it is now very large and focuses a lot on DSP and higher models than 705, so if you can help it will save me a lot more searching.

Btw, which model do you have? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #28
Flyinace2000

I used one of the Neo6 (Onkyo DSP) modes to keep the receiver in 5 channel mode. When i go to a program that is already in 5.1 the receiver reverts back to whatever the native digital signal is coming in as. No clicking.

PS

i have the HT-SR600
Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #29
wierdo

Quote:

Strange, I hadn't noticed a delay. That was one of the things I found to be a significant improvement over my old Sony, which did take several seconds to sync any kind of digital signal, PCM, DTS, or DD.

I fail to see how the upgrade can prevent any clicking if you have the receiver set to use only stereo on 2 channel content, however, unless they decided that the lower THD in stereo mode wasn't worth the complaints of clicking as the receiver disconnects the rear/side speakers.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #30
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post
Strange, I hadn't noticed a delay. That was one of the things I found to be a significant improvement over my old Sony, which did take several seconds to sync any kind of digital signal, PCM, DTS, or DD.

I fail to see how the upgrade can prevent any clicking if you have the receiver set to use only stereo on 2 channel content, however, unless they decided that the lower THD in stereo mode wasn't worth the complaints of clicking as the receiver disconnects the rear/side speakers.
Wow... I've explained three times now, but go ahead and continue to basically ignore me. There's an easy solution to your problem, but you don't seem to want it.

Best of luck to you!

!