TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
gregusan

Smile How to Enable Recording on Sony SVR2000 Series 1 w/o sub?

I recently purchased three SVR-2000 Sony Series 1 Tivos for friends and family thinking they were the same as my other Phillips Tivos, which allow recording by time and channel, manually, without a subscription.

I use ANTENNA ONLY, and know how to run the guided setup to set it up for antenna and make the call for local channels, etc.

I can view live TV and time-shifing on live TV, however, it won't allow recording live TV, nor will it allow scheduled recording by time and channel.

How can I enable this so it will work like any other NON-Sony Series 1 and let me record without a sub?

Thank you sincerely, Greg
gregusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

IF it is manufactured before October 2001, just call TiVos's CSRs by phone.

Units manufactured during/after October 2001 aren't eligible for free recording.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
gregusan

Big Grin Svr2000

Thanks for that info, classicsat.

Bummer! Both of the ones I just got are mfg. AFTER Oct. 2001.

I thought I had read that ALL series one could record without a sub.

Is there ANY way to modify, hack, change the sofware, or whatever, to make it record like other series one's can?

What if I cloned the drive from my working Phillips HDR 312 Series One and then installed in the Sony. Would that work?

Or does anyone have an easier, better solution?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
No
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
classicsat
Astute User

It has nothing to do with the HDD, it has to do with the TSN (they look that up and know), and original PROM/software version.

Putting Philips software in a Sony is a bad idea. At minimum the remote won't work. At most, the servers could balk.

Anything you would do to make those units record without sub would be considered theft of service, which is not condoned here.

The only way to get what you want is to change to TiVo units manufactured before October 2001, Pioneer or Toshiba DVD combo Series 2s, or non-TiVo DVRs that require no subscription.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
gregusan

Smile SVR2000 mfg. Dec. 2000, how to make record?

OK.... I just recieved another SVR-2000, Mfg. Date December 2000. This would be prior to the October 2001 date mentioned above.

Yet, it still won't allow recording without a sub. like other Series one's will.

Am I missing something I need to do?

I ran the guided setup for "antenna", got all the correct channels, etc. It works fine for viewing TV but still won't allow recording.

Is there a way to enable this on a PRE-Oct. 2001 SVR-2000?

Thanks again for your help...
Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregusan View Post
Is there a way to enable this on a PRE-Oct. 2001 SVR-2000?
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
IF it is manufactured before October 2001, just call TiVos's CSRs by phone.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
David_NC

Something else you need to check - look on the Account Information page and see which version of software it is running. Version 2.0 will not let you record - just have it connect to Tivo and it will download 3.0 and re-enable the manual record. (Someone correct me if I am wrong about this on an SVR-2000 - only have a Phillips here)
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The problem is that if a Clear and Delete Everything has been done, that clears the "unsubbed recording ok" flag on qualified units. The solution in the past has been to PM TiVoJerry with the TSN, wait for his response, force a "daily call", and that should do it. If the TiVo CSRs can do this now, so much the better.

Jerry has said that "most" SVR-2000s do not qualify for this, but I believe he is mistaken in this. Most shipped with version 1.3, which was ok for unsubbed recording. A few at the end of the manufacturing run shipped with an updated ROM and 2.0, and do not qualify. The version currently running is not relevant.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #10
gregusan

Smile SVR2000 ROM version

Thanks for all the help and info!

Is there any way to tell which ROM version my units were shipped with?

Two were manufactured December 2001, and one is mfg. December 2000.

In the meantime, I will call the CSR's from the Tivo screen and see if they can set it up the Dec. 2000 model to record.

The all have software version 3.0 something...the same as my Phillips Tivo.

Thanks again.. you guys are really helpful.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
You'll call the CSR's from the TiVo screen?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Version 3.0 is what would be the latest for those boxes. One way that might give you a clue is to open the box and look at the disk drive. If it is the original 30GB drive, it may have a label or stamp on it with the TiVo software version number. I don't know of another way to tell on your own.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
classicsat
Astute User

There may be a version number on the PROM label (the one near the middle of the front, the one nearer the right back is the PROM modem chip).
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
gregusan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
You'll call the CSR's from the TiVo screen?
Is there another place I should get the CSR phone number from? I said "from the Tivo screen", meaning the nag screen you get when you try to record and it says "call tivo at 877-367-8486". That's what I meant.

Thanks for tips on finding the PROM version, I'll take the top of and take a look.

Just wondering, could the Sony Tivo CSR's be able to tell what prom version the units are?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Just wondering, could the Sony Tivo CSR's be able to tell what prom version the units are?
"Sony TiVo CSRs"? No such thing. TiVo has the list.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Is there another place I should get the CSR phone number from? I said "from the Tivo screen", meaning the nag screen you get when you try to record and it says "call tivo at 877-367-8486". That's what I meant.
You have to expect that around here when you word something so poorly.

You can't call from your tivo screen (or phone book or your hand or a business card or a cocktail napkin) but you can call using the number on your tivo screen (or phone book or your hand or a business card or cocktail napkin)
Old 06-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
gregusan

Called the Tivo CSR's today like you said....

To all who have helped me on this:

I called the Tivo CSR's today as you suggested, and everyone I spoke to from tech support to customer service was lost and clueless as could be not only about how to enable the SVR2000 to record, but they also sounded like they really didn't even know what an SVR2000 was!

The Tivo "service numbers" on the back are valid with Tivo (they could find the accounts although closed), so surely they must aknowledge these ARE tivo units. They tried to say that I must call Sony for support, until I got them to reallize these ARE Tivo units, and I was calling the only number displayed by the Sony unit to call for support.

Do you guys have any other advice how I can make these units record? I got three of them as gifts for people and didn't expect this to happen.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #18
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Have you sent a PM to TiVoJerry?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Over time the amount of knowledge we have to train our agents on has grown to an amount that precludes us being able to teach them about this particular situation. In general they are trained to provide support for whatever we as a company deliver to the DVR via the service connection. Basically if it's not a billing or lineup issue, they may tend to refer you to Sony or Philips for further support. If anyone is indeed reaching those companies, I have not seen any communication from them asking for units to be auth'd to record manually.

It's faster if you just send me a PM with your TSN. I usually get less than 10 of these a year, so it's really not something we're going to train all agents on. The knowledge article is there but not always easy for them to find.

For posterity's sake, the internal code currently assigned to this issue is 14-29-02. You won't find any info if you search the for this number, but if you give that # to our support agents, they will find the internal instructions on what to do in this situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
I use ANTENNA ONLY...
Oh, and since you mention that you use Antenna Only, make sure to read the info in our online article http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...a_support.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
gregusan

Thanks Jerry. I sent a PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
It's faster if you just send me a PM with your TSN. I usually get less than 10 of these a year, so it's really not something we're going to train all agents on. The knowledge article is there but not always easy for them to find.
Jerry worked this very issue for me a few months ago and in just days my SVR-2000 was able to do manual recordings again. Jerry did a great job! (And my thanks, again, Jerry!)
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #23
gregusan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Jerry has said that "most" SVR-2000s do not qualify for this, but I believe he is mistaken in this. Most shipped with version 1.3, which was ok for unsubbed recording. A few at the end of the manufacturing run shipped with an updated ROM and 2.0, and do not qualify. The version currently running is not relevant.
Are you saying that it's possible some units manufactured AFTER October 2001 may have the earlier v. 1.3 ROM that will allow unsubed recording?

I'm hoping that is possible, I have at least two units mfg. December 2001, and only one manufactured before Oct. 2001.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #24
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, I'm saying that the production run with 2.0 was small in number and at the end of the run. I'm sure that when Sony switched over to 2.0, all subsequently manufactured boxes had 2.0. The vast majority of SVR-2000s sold had 1.3.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #25
classicsat
Astute User

It is possible that the October 2001 date is wrong, or just a rough date of the change.

It wouldn't hurt to try to see if they will send the "can record" flag, or at least ask if it is eligible for it.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
mauiscott

Sony Series 1 Tivo Channels Not Updating (Manual Record only)

I have 2 Sony SVR-2000 Series 1 units that I have been using in manual record mode for over 2 years now, Jerry or someone at TiVo enabled the manual recording for me in 2009 and they have worked fine since these were older units manufactured before Sept 2001.

However my cable provider, Time Warner-Kansas City updated their channel lineup on April 12. I chatted with a Tivo representative online and he confirmed that they were advised of the channel update on an expedited basis, with a completion date of April 19. I have several times tried to get the updated channels by doing the daily call, then restart and then redoing the entire guided setup procedure from scratch, even after clearing the program data, and each time when I download the update it is still showing the older outdated Time Warner-Kansas City channel lineup. The correct new Time Warner-Kansas City is shown on Tivo.com as well as TMS schedule as well as
Zap2it.com.

I was wondering it it is possible for Tivo to perhaps re-enable manual recording of my 2 units, if that will maybe force a new channel update to my units.

I tried private messaging TivoJerry with my Tivo Service numbers but I don't have at least 5 posts so that wouldn't go through and it says TivoJerry isn't accepting e-mail either. It there is someone else I should be directing this to now please let me know.

Any assistance or contact to the proper person you can provide will be most appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Scott
mauiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #27
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Scott-

This thread has nothing to do with channel lineups being out of date. You've resurrected a nearly three year old thread for no reason.

I'm torn between giving you the link for reporting lineup errors, and not doing a thing.

I'll compromise and suggest you go to tivo.com and find the lineup error report page there.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #28
sralpert

I was just given an old svr-2000 with a mfg date of Nov 2000. It looks like I can record - at least I have set up a program. Does the unsub flag remove all the nags?
sralpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #29
HerronScott

I don't believe that it does.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #30
classicsat
Astute User

The unsub flag just lets you make manual recordings, from the TiVo+7 menu, or Live TV. Nags stay.

It takes actual hacking to eliminate nags, and back in the day, such hacks would have been forbidden here.