TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #5431
jwdawso

I bought a TivoHD for Mother's Day. The installer came the day before, and had one M card. The initial install seemed to go smoothly, but ended up with error 161-38. The installer talked to the provisioner, and he said it was in the system as a S card. He changed it, then "rebuilt" it, which took care of the problem. The TivoHD has worked great ever since!
jwdawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #5432
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm still holding off on my Comcast cablecard install. The OTA reception on all the local HD channels is fantastic. If there was anything worthwhile on the premium stations, I probably would have gone ahead.

I still have my HD CAble box, but I never use it. I think I may go ahead soon though. I guess I'm waiting for them to get more experience with installs.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #5433
pbw

Bay Area install experience

I just wanted to chime in with my frustrating CA Bay Area installation experience (Moto M-Card, TivoHD):
1) Installer came and seemed to know what he was doing. But after activating the M-Card, I saw error 161-38 briefly pop up and asked him about it. He said it was common and to ignore it. After a few minutes, I started receiving most channels but not all (I only have the Digital Starter package). He said all the channels will tune after about an hour so I stupidly let him leave.
2) After 24 hours, I still didn't even get expanded basic channels (such as ESPN) or any HD channels besides locals (which I don't care about since I have great OTA reception). So I called. They tried resending a signal a bunch of times and then finally said I must have a bad card. I went to the office and picked up another one.
3) Installed the 2nd card and activated. I had the exact same problem. The phone tech gave me some bogus excuse that the card was still showing it was "at the warehouse" and therefore they couldn't properly activate it. I asked them several times to double check with a supervisor. Wasted 30 min and I eventually had to go to the office and get another card anyway.
4) Went to the office and the people there said the phone tech was crazy. They showed me the card was registered properly in the system. So I took it back and went home. They suggested I call and ask for a supervisor to help activate it.
5) Went home and called again. I explained the situation and had the issue elevated a few times and still nothing. They said they HAD to send an installer out but I refused. I kept asking what that installer would do that they couldn't do. Eventually, they got it working. My guess is this post http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...87#post5990587 by Thanatos explains their ineptness. I wish I studies these forums better beforehand.

Ugh.

To further infuriate me: I signed up for some postcard bundle that gives me Digital Starter plus Internet for $57/mo (great deal). When I signed up, I specifically asked if I could add premium channels or other digital packages and they said "of course. You can even change your programming it over the internet" (falsehood #1). Based on this, I took the plunge and bought a TivoHD with $299 Lifetime (as previous standalone owner; I'm switching from DirecTV since they were going to force me to retire my HR10-250).

When I asked to add more digital channels, they told me I had to give up the bundle price and pay standard rates!! I told them this was unacceptable since the person I signed up with told me otherwise and that this was a classic bait and switch. Even a supervisor refused to help me (believe me, I was super calm and nice). I find it ridiculous that I am offering to pay them more money and they won't accept it. I was so fed up with Comcast (also due to the installation hassle) that I almost cancelled on the spot - I still might (although I'd have to sell the TivoHD). I can't believe I conned myself into going back to Comcast after seven 100%-problem-free years with DirecTV. I'll probably switch back to DTV after the 12 month pricing expires...
pbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #5434
whitenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I'm still holding off on my Comcast cablecard install. The OTA reception on all the local HD channels is fantastic. If there was anything worthwhile on the premium stations, I probably would have gone ahead.

I still have my HD CAble box, but I never use it. I think I may go ahead soon though. I guess I'm waiting for them to get more experience with installs.
Turtleboy,
How are your connections to tivo hd done to receive local HD OTA channels? I just upgraded to tivo hd from a series 2 and I used to get all the HD local ota channels by going to standby and relying on the antenna built into my hd tv. I have the coax connected from tivo hd antenna jack to antenna jack on tv and do channel scan for cable and antenna but not get nothing in standby. Any advice suggestions appreciated.
whitenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #5435
rvsj

The antenna jack on your TiVo has to be connected to your antenna. The TiVo is connected to the TV via HDMI or component cables.
Use the tuner in the TiVo to select the channel that you want. The tuner in the TV is not used at all.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #5436
Brute

Got the M-card installed in my new TiVo HD yesterday.

The gentleman that came to my door was great. Courteous and knowledgeable. We installed the CC, and midway through guided set-up a CC (161-38) error popped up. He called in while guided set-up was finishing. Whoever he called fixed the problem. By the time set-up was done, everything was working perfectly.

I couldn't have asked for an easier, more pleasant experience.

Last edited by Brute : 05-29-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: turn on notifications
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #5437
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
More contractors came by yesterday to try to get a 2nd cablecard to work in my TivoHD. The first time he put the card in, it didn't give him any information on the pairing screen. He went back and forth a few times and it finally populated. Then it kept changing to error 161-4. He had it bumped a few times and it finally cleared up. I left it alone for a good long time hoping it was just trying to download stuff. It was still working last night. Do you think this card is going to give me trouble down the road?

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #5438
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
Comcast just bumped their local plant from 550MHz to 860MHz and - tada - new HD channels.

We're getting the new channels on our Motorola 6412P3. The TiVoHD has the new channels in the guide data, but we only get a "Channel Not Available" message.

I'm guessing this is an authorization issue and that I need to call Comcast. Are there any magic words that will help the CSR figure out how to help?
I note that I'm getting "Not Tuned: Wrong Card State" when I try to tune the new channels.

There are a few posts describing problems similar to this and suggesting that this is a channel map problem that Comcast needs to fix. Any suggestions?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #5439
royzda1

I just installed my Tivo HD yesterday. Picked up a Multistream card from the Nashville Comcast office. I put it in my Tivo, call Comcast and 30 seconds later the CSR tells me it's setup and ready to go. I didn't provide them with any info from the CableCard config screen. I check my channels and I'm only receiving 2-9 (analog) and 231-245 (HD). I call them back, they assure me everything is ok on their end and schedule a tech to come out. I also have a CableCard slot in my tv so I stick the card in there and only receive the same channels as above. Could this be a problem with the card? I assumed the cards were all or nothing. I previously had a POS motorola dvr and received all the channels I'm subscribed to. BTW, they told me the M-card had no monthly charge. One S-card was also free but they charge a monthly fee for the second. I had a Tivo 3 years ago and didn't realize how much I missed it until I heard the 'ding' and saw the little Tivo guy. I got a little misty eyed!!!
royzda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #5440
AutoJames

old tivo user, still have my series 1 in service Recently decided that I could stand the Comcast DVR no longer and that there was no info about when they would be rolling out TiVO software themselves so I bit the bullet and purchased an HD unit. (is there a thread somewhere for just ragging on how horrible absolutely every decision they made in the UI design on the comcast DVR? I'll try not to whine about it here...) Drove to the local cable service place and picked up an MCard to go in it no problem. They did know they existed and that they could give me one, they just weren't sure where to find them in the office. Had to go through several cabinets to find one.

They assured me at the office that scanning the thing into their computer would activate it and the TiVO is not real clear telling you that it's not activated, you have to go into the cable card screens pretty deep and decode all that gibberish. A call to Comcast got it activated, but even after a reboot I still got nothing.

After another call I finally got some stations, but I was limited to analog and no HD. The local networks came in digital and in HD, but everything else was analog, or a grey screen.

Talking to a few more reps on the phone, all of whom seemed intelligent and were very friendly but were completely unable to make the box do anything different. According to what I can find to read here and on TiVO's site, the cable card is both pared and validated. It is locked into it's OOB channel and has received the channel map. I can even tune it to a digital channel and go look at the diagnostics screen and see that the modulation type is QAM 256 and that the channel is locked. So it IS receiving all the information, but I still get a grey screen for digital content.

Further reading on TiVO's site says that might be something with the card, or the headend being configured to expect me to be a 2-way device, when the TiVO is a one way device? So it would not actually get any of it's EMM's or entitlement packets that tell it just what I'm supposed to be allowed to watch. Does anybody have any experience with this? I just got off the phone with a 4th service guy at comcast who, after giving me the full talking to about how these boxes only support 2 separate cards and not the MCard, ultimately accepted my diagnosis, but after fighting with his machine said it would not allow him to change the address type whatever that means.

So he's going to find someone who can change that and call me back. Once this is all sorted out though i'm really looking forward to having my TiVO back! Even my 7 year old daughter could program the old TiVO and put on her shows and things for her baby brother. Nobody but me can make the comcast thing do anything at all. What a nightmare.

Thanks!
AutoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #5441
Mark95841

I am in Sacramento and have Comcast coming over Monday morning and wonder if there are others in Sacramento that wouldn't mind sharing the Sac Comcast situation or if there is anything I should be aware of. I have had TiVo HD for the past six months using my antenna and it has worked great. I am hoping whoever comes out is familiar with TiVo setups with the TiVo HD and Multi Stream cable cards. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Mark95841 : 05-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Mark95841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #5442
blulegend

How much can I expect to pay for equipment per month if I want to keep a cable box for on demand stuff and put 2 S cards in a Series 3?
blulegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #5443
rick123

You will continue to pay whatever you pay now for your cable equipment. Here in Southern NH I pay $5 for the first SS cablecard and $1.50 for the second, so when I added my tivo HD (and made no other changes to my cable equipment or channels) my total bill went up $6.50.

That said, seems different all across the country, Some pay less some pay more, Comcast seems to make it up as they go. As example, the tech that installed my 2 cards last month insisted that Comcast discontinued MS cards months ago!

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #5444
blulegend

I'm wondering because having a cable box and a TiVo would make it 2 outlets and on top of that I would need more than one CC.
blulegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #5445
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
I note that I'm getting "Not Tuned: Wrong Card State" when I try to tune the new channels.
The TiVo does not know where the channel is. This will happen when you tune a channel that is not there. Try restarting the box so that your card(s) will reload the channel map from the headend.

I can duplicate this error by trying to tune a non-existant channel (i.e., 460).
If you don't get the channel, but don't get the "Wrong Card State" message, check your CC screen to see if you're getting ECMs and EMMs. If they are (and stay) zero, the card thinks you do not get (subscribe to) that channel.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #5446
dbd
Dan

I have Comcast in Montgomery County (Maryland). I have what used to be called their "basic and preferred service" which provided analog access to the basic cable, plus History, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, etc.

I expect my two TivoHDs to arrive this week. When they get here I'm going to hook them up so I can talk to Tivo about switching over the service from my two Tivo Series 2 boxes, both with lifetime service.

The only drawback is that I won't be able to have a Comcast person bring cable cards until June 19th. My request specifies to bring "two m-card (multistream) cable cards for two separate Tivo HD devices."

The phone rep (who took my order for the call) said I didn't need to make any service alterations--that I would get High Def with cable cards. She also said that one cable card was free while the other cost $1. I asked if that was a recurring or one-time $1 charge, and she said one-time.

Is what she said right? No service alteration? $1 one-time for a second card?
dbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #5447
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
The TiVo does not know where the channel is. This will happen when you tune a channel that is not there. Try restarting the box so that your card(s) will reload the channel map from the headend.

I can duplicate this error by trying to tune a non-existant channel (i.e., 460).
If you don't get the channel, but don't get the "Wrong Card State" message, check your CC screen to see if you're getting ECMs and EMMs. If they are (and stay) zero, the card thinks you do not get (subscribe to) that channel.
drcos, thanks for your reply. I've tried a couple of reboots, followed by the blue "Acquiring Channel Information...please stare directly at the magical spinning ball" screen without success.

I need to get smarter about the CC diagnostics screens. F'rinstance, I'm not sure exactly where in the TiVo menus to look to see the incoming ECMs and EMMS. [naive]Aside from a Comcast support rep "hitting" the box on purpose, should I expect to see ECMs and EMMs on a regular basis?[/naive]

Thanks again for your attention.

Gee, I wish it were that easy to toggle naïvete.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #5448
Muad'Dib

Thumbs down No Validation in Denver Area

I have hit a brick wall here with Comcast, even after reading through everything I could find on this issue (this thread has been extremely helpful in my understanding).

New Tivo HD, Motorola M card installed a little over a week ago. Once the tech got it paired up (required him being on the phone to Comcast for almost 1.5 hours) most of my content comes through fine. The problem is I don't get any of my premium content (Starz, Encore, HBO & Mojo). According to the Tivo the card is not validated. Validation key is "Val:? 0x06". 2 tech visits, 3 cards & many hours on the phone later I am still in the same boat. Now Comcast says they have to send a tech out again because they think the Tivo must be faulty & not accepting their validation instructions for the card.

I know many of you have had similar problems and got them resolved over the phone. If anyone in the Denver area can provide a name of someone at Comcast who can actually help me I will be EXTREMELY grateful! I can't seem to find anyone who doesn't respond with either "Gee we almost never do CableCARDS" or "Why don't you just get a Comcast DVR?".

Please help!

Thanks,
Justin
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #5449
drcos
HD where available

To see the EMM/ECM screen (with SA cards at least):
Messages & Settings > Account & System Info > CableCARD Decoders >
(pick a card) > CableCARD Menu > SA CableCARD CP Screen
Your ECM count and EMM count should not both be zero (unless you're tuned to a non-subscription channel).
Decryption status will read OK (even on channels you don't get).
Your EID should NOT be 0xffffffff

As I previously said, the "Wrong Card State" indicates a channel that does not exist, or is not mapped. (Also, you would see "No ECMs detected" for Decryption status).
Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #5450
Muad'Dib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib View Post
If anyone in the Denver area can provide a name of someone at Comcast who can actually help me I will be EXTREMELY grateful!
I successfully answered my own question today and got my card validated. For anyone in the Denver area with these problems I recommend calling Tray Willams - Technical Superviser at Comcast. His # is 303-603-5616. It's all about getting the right person - he had me up and running in no time!
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #5451
bradleyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
Re-do the guided setup and make sure you select the premium channels when asked.
Redoing the guided setup seems to be pretty important in overcoming cable card issues. I was on the phone with Comcast Marin for almost an hour tonight trying to get my second M-card activated. I didn't realize until after I'd put the first M-card in yesterday that I needed a second one to use both tuners on my S3. While the first card install was pretty painless, the second one wasn't as much so. Finally, I just pulled both of the cards out, put them back in, and ran guided setup again. Voila! Both tuners are working with all premium channels.
bradleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #5452
rkolsen

I went through hell and back getting cable cards to work and so did the tech agents. It took four visits to get them to work properly. One time it just descrambled half of my channels, but no basic cable. HBO worked for a few hours and then didnt work any more and with Showtime I had no luck.

All the channels come in clear now except a few channels still display "To Be Announced" and I have repeated the guided setup and downloaded new program information several times, but no luck. Any ideas?
rkolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #5453
michael new

Woops! My bad I just read the decoder cards info over at Tivo, apparently its differant for the Tivo HD.I thought the M card was a multi card for two tuners. You should only need one M card for two tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyx View Post
Redoing the guided setup seems to be pretty important in overcoming cable card issues. I was on the phone with Comcast Marin for almost an hour tonight trying to get my second M-card activated. I didn't realize until after I'd put the first M-card in yesterday that I needed a second one to use both tuners on my S3. While the first card install was pretty painless, the second one wasn't as much so. Finally, I just pulled both of the cards out, put them back in, and ran guided setup again. Voila! Both tuners are working with all premium channels.

180hr Tivo HD MSD
180hrTivo HD
michael new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #5454
Mchero
Almost old member

I guess it all depends where you live!

I read MULTIPLE posts about people going to their local Comcast office and picking up cable cards. I went into my local Comcast office to turn in my Comcast Tivo and asked for an M cable card. Person behind the counter told me that Comcast does NOT hand out cable cards. I told her that I read MULTIPLE POSTS about people walking into Comcast offices and getting cable cards. She insisted that it was not true!

Very fustrating! I'm getting an M-Card installed Saturday...What do you bet that I'll know more than the installer! The install is scheduled for 8:00AM. Hopefully the installer won't be in a big hurry to get home like the last one!

Wish me luck!

2 HD Tivo's with Comcast cable cards.
Sony Wega 50" LCD
Mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #5455
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchero View Post
I guess it all depends where you live!

I read MULTIPLE posts about people going to their local Comcast office and picking up cable cards. I went into my local Comcast office to turn in my Comcast Tivo and asked for an M cable card. Person behind the counter told me that Comcast does NOT hand out cable cards. I told her that I read MULTIPLE POSTS about people walking into Comcast offices and getting cable cards. She insisted that it was not true!

Very fustrating! I'm getting an M-Card installed Saturday...What do you bet that I'll know more than the installer! The install is scheduled for 8:00AM. Hopefully the installer won't be in a big hurry to get home like the last one!

Wish me luck!
True. In Brandford, CT (Comcast local office location), exactly same thing. Comcast does not hand out cable card, it has to be a technician coming to your house. Same thing for a Comcast set top box.

I would much prefer to do everything myself.

But once it's done, it's done. Best of luck.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #5456
jjobev

Tivo HD with Comcast M Card Rebooting

This is the second TiVo HD I've had in the last month that is randomly restarting. I sent the first one back and received a new unit a couple of weeks ago. I have been out of town so I don't know how often it has happened on the second box, but it just restarted while I was watching tv (the first time I have noticed this problem on this unit). The fact that the same thing is happening on the new unit makes me think it might be a Comcast cable card related issue rather than a TiVo issue. Have any of you all had this problem? I thought it might have something to do with Comcast sending an update (firmware, channel info?) to the cable card which forced the TiVo to restart. However, with the first box it started happening frequently (i.e. 5 times during the Preakness). Like I mentioned above, this is the first time I have seen it happen on the new unit, but I haven't watched much tv with it yet. I tried searching for this problem when I had the issue with the first unit, but couldn't find anything. Any thoughts??
jjobev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #5457
Ladd Morse

Comcast cable cards in Frederick, Maryland

Anyone in Frederick, Maryland gotten cable cards from Comcast?

Do they have "M" cards?

Can you go to the office to pick up the cable cards or do they require a truck roll?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #5458
janry

OK, I'm not saying this is funny and I'm not recommending doing this - just explaining, this was one guy's way:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...WS03/806100360

Quote:
But it's not the competitors waging this battle — it's a customer. His name is John Weatherly, and he has been accused of kidnapping a Comcast technician during a service call in March 2007.

Weatherly had called the cable company for service at his Graylynn Drive home.

Unhappy with the service, the door was deadbolted and the technician was not allowed to leave the house until he fixed the TV, according to a police affidavit. Weatherly also threatened the cable guy with his German shepherd, according to the report.

janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #5459
richk2

good experience so far

Just thought I would post something positive since the negative comments in this thread caused me to hesitate for awhile on getting a tivo, which I have owned in the past until hd came along. I am in the north suburbs of Chicago and Comcast installed an m card today. The tech had done other tivos, was very knowledgeable and friendly (came ten minutes early on my slot too!!!!) and got everything working in about a half hour. So far so good!
richk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #5460
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk2 View Post
Just thought I would post something positive since the negative comments in this thread caused me to hesitate for awhile on getting a tivo, which I have owned in the past until hd came along. I am in the north suburbs of Chicago and Comcast installed an m card today. The tech had done other tivos, was very knowledgeable and friendly (came ten minutes early on my slot too!!!!) and got everything working in about a half hour. So far so good!
The success is not so much the tech at your home as the tech he
talks to on the phone. The guys who turn-up the service in the
NOC [Network Operations Center] are the ones who either get it
right or wrong.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote