Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #211
jebradl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebradl View Post
POTS line-->DSL modem-->wifi router1-->Asterisk server-->
POE Switch-->(2 SIP phones and hub1-->3rd SIP phone and Tivo)
...AND.......-->(wifi router2-->Tivo)
It looks like I still didn't describe it correctly. It should be

POTS line-->DSL modem-->wifi router1(gateway)-->
POE Switch-->(Asterisk Server) AND (SIP phone1) AND (SIP phone2) AND (hub1-->SIP phone3 and Tivo) AND (wifi router2-->Tivo)

The routers (1-Asus WL500GP and 2-Linksys WRT54GL) are both using openwrt Kamakaze firmware.
jebradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #212
jlc

Quote:
Actually there are a couple of hubs. And two of the phones are connected to the hubs. I was trying to abbreviate the description somewhat and didn't show the tivos, but the corrected discription is
POTS line-->DSL modem-->wifi router1-->Asterisk server-->
POE Switch-->(2 SIP phones and hub1-->3rd SIP phone and Tivo)
...AND.......-->(wifi router2-->Tivo)

Both routers are hardwired together, router1 is the gateway. Both tivos are hardwired to their router or hub (USB100TX adapters). Since the phones (2 Grandstream GXP2000's, and an Aastra 57iCT (a wonderful SIP phone!) are receiving the SIP info to receive and place calls, I can't see how the Tivo isn't receiving the same information.
Which TiVo are you trying to get sip2ncid to work on? I would guess you are trying it on the TiVo connected to the wifi router. If so, I would expect it to work on the TiVo connected to hub1.

Since you are using "PBX in a flash", you could compile sip2ncid to run on it also. Since it is using CentOS 5.x it is possible a Fedora or Ubuntu binary will work on it. If you want to try that, email me at sourceforge and I will email you a sip2ncid binary to try.

Last edited by jlc : 05-23-2008 at 10:03 PM.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #213
jebradl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
Which TiVo are you trying to get sip2ncid to work on? I would guess you are trying it on the TiVo connected to the wifi router. If so, I would expect it to work on the TiVo connected to hub1.

Since you are using "PBX on a flash", you could compile sip2ncid to run on it also. Since it is using CentOS 5.x it is possible a Fedora or Ubuntu binary will work on it. If you want to try that, email me at sourceforge and I will email you a sip2ncid binary to try.
Wrong guess. I've been trying to get the tivo connected to the hub (which also has a SIP phone connected).

As for installing sip2ncid on the PIAF server, I've been having dependency problems. As soon as I get a chance to locate and install the other rpm's, I'll look at that. I'm also looking at modification of the dialplan in Asterisk to send the callerid info. I can echo text to the tivo with nc from the Asterisk server, so it should work.

Does sip2ncid function as a server, or just feed sip info to ncidd? (Or, in other words, do they have to reside on the same machine?)
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #214
jlc

Quote:
Wrong guess. I've been trying to get the tivo connected to the hub (which also has a SIP phone connected).

As for installing sip2ncid on the PIAF server, I've been having dependency problems. As soon as I get a chance to locate and install the other rpm's, I'll look at that. I'm also looking at modification of the dialplan in Asterisk to send the callerid info. I can echo text to the tivo with nc from the Asterisk server, so it should work.

Does sip2ncid function as a server, or just feed sip info to ncidd? (Or, in other words, do they have to reside on the same machine?)
I call sip2ncid a gateway. It takes SIP input and transforms it into ncidd input. It does not have to reside on the same computer with ncidd. That is why I suggested you put sip2ncid on your PIAF server.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #215
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

I gotta tell you that I don't know jack about the Asterisk server and sip phones. But if the server is what interfaces your phones to the outside world, then I believe that your Tivo running sip2ncid should be on a hub with your server, so that it can see the same info your server is seeing. Apparently your server does something to the info it sends and receives from your phones to allow them to talk to the outside world.

Or, maybe I don't have any idea how your system works and should let someone else try to help
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #216
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Anyone that is getting multiple CID entries with sip2ncid or receiving SIP packets with no CID entries should try the beta. If you still have problems, email the sip2ncid.log file, at verbose 3, to me at sourceforge. The log file should contain at least 2 calls, one with a hangup before answer and one with a hangup after answer.
Tried the latest sip2ncid beta and it looks like it solved the problem at my other place. I'll try it in the city next week to make sure it still works there.

Thanks for your efforts!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #217
jebradl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post
I gotta tell you that I don't know jack about the Asterisk server and sip phones. But if the server is what interfaces your phones to the outside world, then I believe that your Tivo running sip2ncid should be on a hub with your server, so that it can see the same info your server is seeing. Apparently your server does something to the info it sends and receives from your phones to allow them to talk to the outside world.

Or, maybe I don't have any idea how your system works and should let someone else try to help
I'm finding that I don't know much, either. One thing that I didn't list in my diagram is the POTS telephone connection to the Asterisk server. I am not using any of the VOIP telephony providers. I'm receiving a POTS signal through a card in the server, which then distributes the call to the appropriate SIP phone within my home network. They are SIP phones, and they all work correctly, and they are receiving a SIP signal, but I somehow can't seem to pick up that signal with sip2ncid. I received a linux binary from jlc, and ran it on my server, and had no luck there, either. It showed activity with the -T switch, but none when monitoring port 5060, which is what the phones default to. I was hoping to get something working on the tivo so that I didn't have to mess with the Asterisk dialplan. I have pretty much given up with sip2ncid, but I did find a way to send the info to the tivo using nc(netcat), so I now have functioning callerid.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #218
BTUx9
back?

if incoming calls are all through a POTS line connected directly to the server, I doubt the packets sip2ncid is interested in are ever even created as SIP packets.
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #219
jebradl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9 View Post
if incoming calls are all through a POTS line connected directly to the server, I doubt the packets sip2ncid is interested in are ever even created as SIP packets.
Since the phones are all SIP phones, I'm not sure why you would think that the packets sent to them by the server would be of no interest to sip2ncid. Let me repeat, they are SIP phones. Only the server connects to the POTS line.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #220
BTUx9
back?

I was under the impression that the packets that were used for CID info were those coming IN to the server... if that isn't the case, then ignore my previous comment.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #221
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Anyone that is getting multiple CID entries with sip2ncid or receiving SIP packets with no CID entries should try the beta. If you still have problems, email the sip2ncid.log file, at verbose 3, to me at sourceforge. The log file should contain at least 2 calls, one with a hangup before answer and one with a hangup after answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh View Post
Tried the latest sip2ncid beta and it looks like it solved the problem at my other place. I'll try it in the city next week to make sure it still works there.
The new sip2ncid beta works great in both places. No more multple enties.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #222
jebradl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9 View Post
I was under the impression that the packets that were used for CID info were those coming IN to the server... if that isn't the case, then ignore my previous comment.
The server then passes the CID info to the phones. And, I suspect, in test mode, sip2ncid should be detecting the SIP packets, even if the CID info isn't present.

One of the things that I like about the system that I'm using, is that the call gets answered by the server without ever hearing a ring, the caller gets a message to punch a button for the family member that they want, and the CID info is prefixed with the user before it's sent to the phone. So, when the phone actually rings, I can tell if it's for my wife or kids, or for me. I don't have to do anything if it's not for me. (My kids also like it, because their mom gets 95% of the calls (She's the chair of the local Relay for Life event for the American Cancer Society, and gets a load of calls related to that.).

If you're into high tech phones, the Aastra 57i is great. I can punch a couple of buttons and get the weather from the national weather service, as well as news headlines among other things.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #223
BTUx9
back?

So the CID info is only passed on after the caller has made a choice of which phone (family member) s/he wants, I take it.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #224
jlc

NCID version 0.71 has been released.

The main purpose of the release was to fix problems with the SIP gateways and some VoIP systems. It is known to work with 4 different Vontage SIP systems and with Asterisk. It does not seem to work for Asterisk using a POTS line.

New features were added for VoIP systems: Output calls are logged, if the system provides the information; and a client output module can be called for a hangup after answer, previously it could only be called for a hangup before answer.

See the Release Notes for specific changes.

If anyone is using sip2ncid on the TiVo, please post the particulars of of your system. Here is feedback for 3:
Code:
    Linksys WRTP54G: used Vonage Talk, SIP packets on port 5060, may need
                     firmware update if below 1.00., for more information
                     see  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Linksys+WRT54G

Linksys RT31P2:  put computer IP address in the DMZ

Linksys RVS4000: L2 Switch, mirror port 1 to port 2, assumes gateway
                     is port 1 and computer is port 2

Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #225
lloydjs

I have Vonage and would like to install NCID 0.71 and use sip2ncid to send caller id to my TV from my TiVo.

I have a Sony SVR2000 standalone series1 and when trying to install ncid-0.71-ppc-tivo.tgz I get errors.

I transfered (in binary mode) ncid-0.71-ppc-tivo.tgz to /var

Then I try to install it using the following command:
tar -xzvf ncid-0.71-ppc-tivo.tgz -C /var

Here is the output:

TiVo:{/var}%tar -xzvf ncid-0.71-ppc-tivo.tgz -C /var
hack/
hack/bin/
hack/bin/cidcall
hack/bin/cidalias
hack/bin/tivoncid
tar: hack/bin/tivoncid: Cannot lchown to uid 0 gid 0: Function not implemented
hack/bin/yac2ncid
hack/bin/cidupdate
hack/bin/tivocid
tar: hack/bin/tivocid: Cannot lchown to uid 0 gid 0: Function not implemented
hack/bin/ncid
hack/etc/
hack/etc/ncid/
hack/etc/ncid/ncidsip.conf
hack/etc/ncid/ncidmodules.conf
hack/etc/ncid/yac2ncid.conf
hack/etc/ncid/sip2ncid.conf
hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.conf
hack/etc/ncid/ncid.conf
hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.alias
hack/doc/
hack/doc/ncid/
hack/doc/ncid/Verbose-sip2ncid
hack/doc/ncid/man/
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidmodules.conf.5.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidtools.1.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/sip2ncid.conf.5.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidmodules.1.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidd.8.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncid.conf.5.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidd.alias.5.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/sip2ncid.conf.5.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidd.conf.5.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/yac2ncid.conf.5.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidd.alias.5.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/sip2ncid.8.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncid.1.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidd.conf.5.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/README.modules
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidrotate.1.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidd.8.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/yac2ncid.1.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/sip2ncid.8.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/yac2ncid.conf.5.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidmodules.1.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncid.conf.5.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidmodules.conf.5.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidsip.8.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidsip.8.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncid.1.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidrotate.1.html
hack/doc/ncid/man/yac2ncid.1.txt
hack/doc/ncid/man/ncidtools.1.html
hack/doc/ncid/ReleaseNotes
hack/doc/ncid/Setup-sip2ncid
hack/doc/ncid/NCID-DataFormats
hack/doc/ncid/Verbose-ncidd
hack/doc/ncid/VERSION
hack/doc/ncid/TODO
hack/doc/ncid/CONTRIBUTORS
hack/doc/ncid/README.modules
hack/doc/ncid/Modem-init
hack/doc/ncid/Setup-ncidsip
hack/doc/ncid/INSTALL-TiVo
hack/doc/ncid/README
hack/doc/ncid/Modem-DistinctiveRing
hack/doc/ncid/LICENSE
hack/doc/ncid/Modem-CID-test
hack/doc/ncid/NCID-PROTOCOL
hack/doc/ncid/Modem-TiVo
hack/doc/ncid/NetCallerID
hack/sbin/
hack/sbin/ncidd
hack/sbin/ncidsip
hack/sbin/sip2ncid
hack/share/
hack/share/ncid/
hack/share/ncid/ncid-speak
hack/share/ncid/ncid-tivo
hack/share/ncid/ncid-yac
hack/share/ncid/ncid-page
hack/share/ncid/ncid-popup
hack/share/ncid/ncid-samba
hack/share/ncid/ncid-mythtv
hack/share/ncid/ncid-skel
log/
log/cidcall.log
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Why am I getting these errors? And what should I do next?

Please help. After reading everything on this thread and the SoundForge website, I am dedicated to getting this to work.

Thank you,
Lloyd
Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #226
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydjs View Post
Why am I getting these errors? And what should I do next?
Its safe to ignore these errors. Basically it says that the part of tar program that changes the ownership of the files to root is broken, but everything on tivo runs as root anyway, so it is not needed.

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #227
lloydjs

Thank you hitchhiker

The next step in the tivo installation documentation instructs me to start the required programs by entering the follows lines:

ncidd
sip2ncid
tivoncid &

ncidd appears to work because no message is returned; however when I try sip2ncid i get the following error:

TiVo:{/var/hack}%ncidd
TiVo:{/var/hack}%
TiVo:{/var/hack}%sip2ncid
TiVo:{/var/hack}%
TiVo:{/var/hack}%sip2ncid: error in loading shared libraries
: undefined symbol: gethostbyname

Does anyone know why I am receiving this error and what should I try next?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #228
jlc

Quote:

TiVo:{/var/hack}%sip2ncid: error in loading shared libraries
: undefined symbol: gethostbyname

Does anyone know why I am receiving this error and what should I try next?
It looks like the series1 libc.so library is missing some network functions. I was not able to cross compile a static version of sip2ncid because of a problem in libc.a. You either need a static version of sip2ncid or you need another /lib/libc.so file. Could you post the results of: "ls /lib"? It would probably be easier to use your series2 instaad of the series1.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #229
lloydjs

I think I would prefer to get it working on Series1 because of logistics reasons.

My series2 is my living room and is connected to my network using a wireless Linksys bridge. Theree is no phone jack in my living room. My series1 and Vonage adapter (Linksys RT31P2) are in my office where there is a phone jack. The adapter and series1 are connected to a Netgear DS104 hub which I bought specifically to use for sip2ncid, because I read in this thread that using this particular hub allows the packets to pass to the Tivo. My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54GS.

Here are the results of "ls /lib":

TiVo:{/var/tmp}%ls /lib
ld.so.1 libc.so modules
TiVo:{/var/tmp}%
TiVo:{/var/tmp}%

Would it be easier to fix the library problem on my series1 or should I try to install NCID on my series2 and hope the packets can get there through the wireless bridge? The problem is, I don't know where to begin to fix the library problem.

How should proceed?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #230
jlc

Quote:
I think I would prefer to get it working on Series1 because of logistics reasons.

Would it be easier to fix the library problem on my series1 or should I try to install NCID on my series2 and hope the packets can get there through the wireless bridge? The problem is, I don't know where to begin to fix the library problem.

How should proceed?
I can email you a version of libc.so that may work, but it could break the TiVo. If it does, you will have to put the original one back to get it working again.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #231
jlc

NCID version 0.72 has been released.

This release is for fixes and improvements to the servers, gateways, and the client. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid for news on the release and the release distributions.

There were important fixes for the TiVo. Here are 2 important ones. The SIP gateway was modified so it runs on a series 1. It should run on all TiVo hardware. The client was fixed so it would start with a pathname as well as ./tivocid. This broke in a previous release.

A new shell script called startncid makes it easier to start the configured NCID. Just uncomment or comment the various lines that start NCID. The default is to start ncidd and tivocid for use with a modem. It will also set your local timezone for sip2ncid, yac2ncidi, and ncidd. The script can be started from /etc/rc.sysinit.d.author or manually.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #232
jlc

Quote:

There were important fixes for the TiVo. Here are 2 important ones. The SIP gateway was modified so it runs on a series 1. It should run on all TiVo hardware. The client was fixed so it would start with a pathname as well as ./tivocid. This broke in a previous release.
Unfortunately when I added some improvements to ncid (alias tivocid and tivoncid), I managed to break it for the series 1. The TiVo distribution files have been updated with a fix so if you downloaded version 0.72, you need to download the update. The series 2 and series 3 were not broken, but I also updated the mips distribution, along with the source.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #233
jlc

NCID 0.73 Released

A new version of NCID was released on sourceforge The release mostly contains fixes to the client and server. It also includes support for Unicode. See the release notes for more information.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #234
jlc

A new version of NCIDmod was released. It is a updated caller log module for TivoWebPlus 1.3.1. The link shows a snapshot of the display using test data.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #235
Jameson_Prod

I apologize if this has been covered....but I wasn't able to locate any post regarding this:

I have NCID .73 and Out2OSD .9 loaded. Things appear to work correctly EXCEPT....some calls don't get picked up and sent to the TV. No rhyme or reason that I can see. Could be numbers in my alias file, could be numbers that show once, then the next time they call not show, etc. I know this is not alot of info but not sure what to say or look for.

Any ideas what I could look at for a fix?

Thanks in advance.
Jameson_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #236
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_Prod View Post
I have NCID .73 and Out2OSD .9 loaded. Things appear to work correctly EXCEPT....some calls don't get picked up and sent to the TV. No rhyme or reason that I can see. Could be numbers in my alias file, could be numbers that show once, then the next time they call not show, etc. I know this is not alot of info but not sure what to say or look for.

Any ideas what I could look at for a fix?
There is a known problem that sometimes the server will die and it needs to be restarted to receive calls again. Workarounds can be found in previous posts. You did not mention restarting the server so I will assume you can receive calls after the missing call without restarting the server. If that is the case, you need to determine if the problem is with the modem, ncidd, or tivocid. Most often, this can be determined by checking the cidcall.log and ciddata.log files. If ciddata.log does not exist, create it with
Code:
touch /var/log/ciddata.log
The server monitors the modem and writes all lines it receives in ciddata.log. If it finds the Caller ID lines, it will create a CID line, send it to the clients, and write it in /var/log/cidcall.log.

If you do not see a call in ciddata.log, then the problem is with the modem. If you see a call in ciddata.log but not in cidcall.log, then the problem is with ncidd. If you see a call in both log files, but do not see it displayed, then the problem is with tivocid.

Hopefully the above will allow you to post more information about your problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #237
Jameson_Prod

That's correct, it continues to work without restarting the server. It may miss a call or two, but eventually it will show a call.

I thought the problem may lie with the modem due to seeing the following in this excerpt from the ncidd.log:

Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.
TTY in use: releasing modem 05/26/2009 13:54
TTY free: using modem again 05/26/2009 13:54
Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.
TTY in use: releasing modem 05/26/2009 14:54
TTY free: using modem again 05/26/2009 14:54
Modem initialized.
Modem set for CallerID.
TTY in use: releasing modem 05/26/2009 15:04
TTY free: using modem again 05/26/2009 15:05

The ciddata.log had to be created so I'll give it a little time to populate and report back.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #238
Jameson_Prod

After a couple of calls, it appears the ciddata.log file is not being updated correctly. The calls that are not showing on the TV are not being recorded....it simply says "ring" several lines in a row.

I'll work on the assumption it is the modem. I'll try setting up a different unit as the server and go from there.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #239
jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_Prod View Post
After a couple of calls, it appears the ciddata.log file is not being updated correctly. The calls that are not showing on the TV are not being recorded....it simply says "ring" several lines in a row.

I'll work on the assumption it is the modem. I'll try setting up a different unit as the server and go from there.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions.
The called id is always between the first and second rings. You modem appears to be dropping out of the Caller ID mode. It could have something to do with all the using and releasing modem messages. If you do not use the modem for anything else, try changing the name of the lock file from /var/tmp/modemlock to /var/tmp/nolockfile in ncidd.conf. That will disable ncidd from checking if another program is using the modem by giving it a bogus lock file that will never be created.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #240
Jameson_Prod

For others who may be experiencing some of my symptoms....

Using a different phone line and different tivo as the server has fixed my problems. It appears it was a bad modem in my original tivo. For the past several days the tivo has picked up and displayed all calls.

Thanks again JLC for your time, help, and suggestions.