TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

6.4a is here

Checked the MFS of my Hughes SD-DVR80 and noticed that software version 6.4a-01-2-151 has been sent over the satellite. Have not seen mention of this or any discussion yet. It could be the update with the online scheduling, but I don't know.

Superpatch people please get working on this one! I want to try the slicer on this...

http://www.dvrplayground.com/article/13324/
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Hmmm. This may be the release we've been waiting for to provide Remote Scheduling and some other promised features.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
T1V0

dcstager, check your pm..
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I have it on one of my units too
I wonder if (please please please) they put the HMO code back?
If it's there I'll upgrade both of my units. If not, I'm sticking on 6.2a
Old 05-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I haven't updated yet -- it's just there in the MFS. I am using 6.2a which is hacked with everything and running flawlessly so I don't want to change it. I use the MRV feature frequently, so I don't want to risk losing that.

If Tivo Desktop worked on it, I'd upgrade for sure. I'm not interested in pulling things off of it and burning DVDs -- I want to be able to put things on it and watch things on the Tivo.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Mine is just in mfs too holding off on installing.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
schaeferp
Happy Man

Does this have the recently deleted folder?
schaeferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
T1V0

Some interesting things in there..
like the new '/tvlib/tcl/apg/GenRemoteRecordingData.tcl' script and some additions to '/tvlib/tcl/tv/DbEnum.tcl' for additional wireless security settings. Probably just leftover from the SA sw line this was split from.

Last edited by T1V0 : 05-17-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
magnus
Tivo User

Well, I can't imagine that Tivo would release that kind of software.... MRV and Tivo Desktop that works with D*.... unless D* were going to place nice with them.

It kind of defeats the point of having Real Tivo over DTivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I haven't updated yet -- it's just there in the MFS. I am using 6.2a which is hacked with everything and running flawlessly so I don't want to change it. I use the MRV feature frequently, so I don't want to risk losing that.

If Tivo Desktop worked on it, I'd upgrade for sure. I'm not interested in pulling things off of it and burning DVDs -- I want to be able to put things on it and watch things on the Tivo.

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
T1V0

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeferp View Post
Does this have the recently deleted folder?
Looks like it :
Code:
bash# strings tivoapp | grep Deleted
/atlas_nowplaying/ui/NowPlaying/TvNowPlayingDeletedProgram.brf
34TvNowPlayingDeletedProgramDocument
/atlas_nowplaying/ui/NowPlaying/TvNowPlayingScreen_DeletedGroup.brf
39TvNowPlayingScreen_DeletedGroupDocument
atlas_nowplaying:TvNowPlayingDeletedProgram
22SiDocumentScreenPluginI13TvAtlasScreen34TvNowPlayingDeletedProgramDocumentE
40TvNowPlayingItemCellCreator_DeletedGroup
NowPlaying:DeletedGroup
NowPlaying:DeletedProgram
atlas_nowplaying:TvNowPlayingScreen_DeletedGroup
31TvNowPlayingScreen_DeletedGroup
14SiScreenPluginI31TvNowPlayingScreen_DeletedGroupE
also :
Code:
bash# strings tivoapp | grep Undeleted
Undeleted by user
Undeleted by user
Undeleted by service
this looks very much like similar strings found in 9.x software on my SA boxes.

Last edited by T1V0 : 05-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
T1V0

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Well, I can't imagine that Tivo would release that kind of software.... MRV and Tivo Desktop that works with D*.... unless D* were going to place nice with them.

It kind of defeats the point of having Real Tivo over DTivo.
I agree. A cursory glance at the software suggests that the only new features are the ones that were formally announced. I can't verify whether or not these things are actually activated yet, since I'm not upgrading either way.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Can I assume that this will be coming to my HR10-250 as well? Since it seems to be following the SD series 2 units.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm willing to be a guinea pig here and do an upgrade to 6.4a via slicer for the benefit of the Tivo community. However, my unit is zippered and I'd like some assurance from Gunnyman or T1VO or someone knowledgable that the telnet, ftp, cron/fakecall stuff continues to run. I forget exactly what slicer copies and preserves. I realize the tivoapp will not be patched and the recordings will be encrypted and so on, but it's essential that the machine operate without the telephone connection.

Can anyone offer some reassurance on this to me?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
T1V0

tnlited (telnet daemon) is still in there and serial bash should definitely still work the same way. I have no idea what the slicer does or looks for since its source code isn't available, but this really shouldn't be much different than any other upgrade. the only issue I could forsee would be an incompatibility between the native usb drivers and a killhdinitrd'd kernel (similar to issues experienced by SA users when 8.1 first rolled out).

My recommendation would be to do a very simple manual upgrade to just retain serial bash first, minimizing the initial hacking, and giving a chance to poke around with less fear of something going wrong. that way if there is a driver incompatibility or something like that, the chances of having to pull the drive are greatly reduced. this can be done with as few as 5 or so commands. pm me if you want some assistance.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

During slicer, it prompts asking if you want to preserve the backported usb drivers. Obviously, this release has some network drivers of its own. If I preserve the backported drivers, the killhdinitrd'd kernel should still work, right? I'm wondering if the new software requires a new kernel to work with the new features? If it does install a new kernel in the upgrade, I think I'm going to be hosed here. I don't know how to patch the new kernel if one is installed and I'll have to do it before it reboots but after the slicer installs the upgrade. I'm breaking the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule big time here. My system has never been more stable or useful as it is now. But... I'm probably going to retire it soon anyway because the standard definition video is so obsolete and the HD looks so good.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
T1V0

Quote:
If I preserve the backported drivers, the killhdinitrd'd kernel should still work, right?
it should. that was the fix for 8.x users.
Quote:
I'm wondering if the new software requires a new kernel to work with the new features?
very, very doubtful. these things are usually controlled by tivoapp.
Quote:
If it does install a new kernel in the upgrade, I think I'm going to be hosed here.
that's why you (or slicer) replace the new kernel with the one you had been previously using before rebooting the box.
Quote:
But... I'm probably going to retire it soon anyway because the standard definition video is so obsolete and the HD looks so good.
agreed. that's why I don't have any active SD directivos any more.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
T1V0

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1V0 View Post
the only issue I could forsee would be an incompatibility between the native usb drivers and a killhdinitrd'd kernel (similar to issues experienced by SA users when 8.1 first rolled out).
this does appear to be an issue. loading the 6.4a usbnet.o with a 7.2.2 kill'd kernel causes a crash. using backported drivers instead should work though.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm pretty sure I have the 3.1.5 kernel on mine. I recall it had a problem with DHCP and I have to use static addressing. Since 6.4a has a full network configuration screen including wireless and encryption I'm just wondering if the old kernel will work with the new software's network features even if I retain the backported drivers.

I'm going to sleep on it. I can always re-image to 6.2a and the TV season is essentially just about over anyway.

I think I'm going to regret this...
Old 05-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
T1V0

Quote:
I recall it had a problem with DHCP and I have to use static addressing.
DHCP seems to be broken in this release anyways, since dhclient and dhclient-script are missing just like in 6.3f.
Quote:
Since 6.4a has a full network configuration screen including wireless and encryption I'm just wondering if the old kernel will work with the new software's network features even if I retain the backported drivers.
I doubt it has an actual network screen (without modifications at least). Networking should be easily hacked in though. I highly doubt official networking will ever be present on these boxes.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

dstager
Thanks for guinea pigging for us
Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm watching Geraldo Rivera talking about Ted Kennedy and as soon as that's over, I'm going to force the update and report back. I'm sure it's a big nothing and I'll be re-imaging from scratch tomorrow. I hope CrashHD and/or the many others will look into creating a superpatch for this version. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed -- but I'll let you know. I read somewhere that you'll be able to use Tivo Desktop with this and enable/disable it at the Tivo site just like you do now with the standalone tivos. Something like that will be set up at the DirecTV site I think. A last gasp before the death of standard definition satellite.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #22
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I'm sure the super patch diffs will be discovered quickly.
I just hope the HMO strings are back in
I doubt they are, but hey I can dream.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Okay... 6.4a-01-2-151 has been installed and is working. Almost no visual difference at all to previous versions.

Under Now Playing there is a Recently Deleted folder so you can restore programs you previously deleted.

Under Channels, the channel list now looks like the latest standalone software. You have a channel list where you tag your favorite channels instead of a separate menu item where you pick your favorite channels and channels you receive.

Under Recording, there is now an option for Overlap Protection which can be enabled or disabled.

Under Audio there are some new choices about how to handle Dolby Digital which differ cosmetically from 6.2a

Under Phone, there is no network option or network setup screen at all.

MRV does not work anymore. I retained backported drivers and I can still telnet to it just fine.

The 30 second skip feature can be toggled on and off as usual with Select - Play - Select - 3 - 0 - Select.

I'm going to assume this is just a minor update/bug fix release - nothing major at all and it does not appear that the enhanced features promised by DirecTV as "coming soon" are in this software release.

Maybe this will fix some people's rebooting problems. Not much to be gained by the upgrade. Okay superpatch people, do your stuff.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #24
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

well of course MRV is gone, you aren't superpatched yet
Old 05-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #25
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I didn't think of that. One thing I'm going to need some immediate help with... fakecall.tcl does not work with this version. "fakecall failed" is the response when you try and run it manually. I noticed that after rebooting it a few times and re-running tweak.sh to make sure all was in order - turns out it isn't. I noticed that the last successful call entry on the system information screen didn't update. Not sure what may be wrong or if there is a newer version than what comes with tweak.sh. Oh boy.

Update: Alphawolf's fakecall.tcl from DDB works, so that's a relief.

Last edited by dcstager : 05-17-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #26
Dkerr24
Lost in Big Bend

6.4a... aka... beta test for our customers. Their motto must be 'Live on the edge, test in production'. lol
Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #27
T1V0

Quote:
I'm going to assume this is just a minor update/bug fix release - nothing major at all and it does not appear that the enhanced features promised by DirecTV as "coming soon" are in this software release.
No..this is the release talked about by Directv. The listed features were recently deleted folder, remote booking, and overlap protection. I know you seem to think Directv will enable networking/TTG for directivo's, but trust me, it will NEVER officially happen. EVER. PERIOD. They never stated it would be made available. This is probably the end of the line for directivo users aside from bug fixes.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...5yn3m00407402d
Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #28
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

How will the remote scheduling be implimented? Network connection or via dial in?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #29
Blurayfan

Quote:
How will the remote scheduling be implimented? Network connection or via dial in?
The remote booking is done over the SAT on DirecTV inhouse units. It may work through the SAT for TiVos too with this update.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #30
T1V0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDKingdom View Post
The remote booking is done over the SAT on DirecTV inhouse units. It may work through the SAT for TiVos too with this update.
That's certainly what it looks like. Delivering that information via the sat requires no customer interaction/troubleshooting, which saves directv time, money and human/technical resources. I highly doubt that DHCP functionality would have been broken (dhclient is removed) if networking were to be officially enabled.

Last edited by T1V0 : 05-18-2008 at 01:31 AM.