TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #151
ivanpiro

Thank you very much! I'll be installing Python tonight.
ivanpiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #152
duckfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
This adds some documentation (doc strings, comments) and command-line options, including short versions of the existing ones, and corrects the non-functioning of the '.' keyboard shortcut under Gtk. Also, in the last version, I changed from binding the keyboard shortcuts to all buttons in Gtk, to only one button; in retrospect, that was a mistake, so I've reverted it.
I am getting ready to add support to the iPhone program for automatically discovering TiVos to my program, which got me thinking about integrating more of the functionality that is already made available. With the Media Key, we can get a list of the videos that are on a TiVo, we should (maybe not in all circumstances) be able to figure out where those videos will appear on the 'Now Showing' screen. With these remote commands, we can automatically start playing any of the videos on the system.

I am nowhere near a TiVo right now, but this should be possible, right?
duckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #153
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfin View Post
I am getting ready to add support to the iPhone program for automatically discovering TiVos to my program, which got me thinking about integrating more of the functionality that is already made available. With the Media Key, we can get a list of the videos that are on a TiVo, we should (maybe not in all circumstances) be able to figure out where those videos will appear on the 'Now Showing' screen. With these remote commands, we can automatically start playing any of the videos on the system.

I am nowhere near a TiVo right now, but this should be possible, right?
First problem that jumps to mind is the grouping and sorting available on the NPL. I don't think it's possible to know what those settings are set to, unless you are physically looking at the screen. If grouping is turned off, and the sorting is set to either date or alphabetical, AND the iphone or other networked app is made aware of which sort is being used, it could be possible. I don't know how close to 100% reliable we can get, a bunch testing would obviously be needed.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #154
crazybox

Has anyone found any other telnet commands other then the ones Crestron is using. I know on crestron's roadmap is to be able to poll NPL and be able to select a show...
crazybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #155
SeanC
ECT

I love the macros, CC works great, but I had to add a CLEAR to the end of the clock macro so it wouldn't change channels.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #156
ivanpiro

TiVo remote on Pocket PC

Got it working on my DELL Pocket PC. Very nice indeed!!!

Now I control the TiVo HD (channel 3) feeding all coax connections in my home via WiFi remote. Too cool!

Thanks again,

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo CE.jpg (29.8 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by ivanpiro : 05-12-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #157
crazybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzand View Post
Anyone marry this up with the "Now Playing" info that's available over http/https from TiVo yet?

https://<ip>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying
username: tivo
password: <your MAK>

I can not get this to work... am I doing something wrong? What is MAK?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #158
][ronMan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybox View Post
I can not get this to work... am I doing something wrong? What is MAK?
Your Media Access Key...

D
][ronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #159
crazybox

Anyone know how to get the NPL XML file without using https? I am trying to do some crestron programming and doing a SSL is impossible so I was hoping someone knew of another way...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #160
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, no other way. Why do you say it's impossible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #161
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Anyone know how to get the NPL XML file without using https? I am trying to do some crestron programming and doing a SSL is impossible so I was hoping someone knew of another way...
Use a PC as a proxy to pull it and republish it. Other than that, wmcbrine's right, you can't access it directly off the tivo without going through the security.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #162
crazybox

Quote:
No, no other way. Why do you say it's impossible?

Well not totally impossible but I would have to write the certificate and the encryption... I would also have to know what I was doing
Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #163
ivanpiro

I must be missing something... What would be the point of establishing an SSL connection to your TiVo within your own private network, unless you wants to "pause" a program from work.

Just curious,

Ivan
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #164
crazybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpiro View Post
I must be missing something... What would be the point of establishing an SSL connection to your TiVo within your own private network, unless you wants to "pause" a program from work.

Just curious,

Ivan
I need the SSL connection to get the XML file for the Now playing list so that I can display it on my touch panel then be able to select it. The sort of fake the selection with IR commands. With the teleport function I can always get to NPL from anywhere.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #165
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

ivanpiro, you have to use SSL because that's the only way to fetch the NPL. It's not because we want to. You'd have to ask TiVo why they made it that way.

crazybox, I trust you've read post #153? This is a pretty risky approach IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #166
crazybox

WMCbrine, I looked into this the XML says whether it is a folder or a video file... so you just put an identifier as a folder... so then you query the folder XML after the initial NPL query which it gives a link to. that way you can sort folder and use an indexing system so you know what entry it is on the NPL. You would have to use the teleport command and possibly IR up command so you know you are at the first entry.

All this is good in talk. I have not even tried to write code for it because I am waiting until I can actually get to the XML directly from the crestron. This for my own home so I am not too concerned. I might just have to wait until crestron releases their next stage in the module so I can use it and see what all the direct telnet commands are.

Until then I guess it is all wait and see...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #167
ivanpiro

Red face

Ok. I get it now. And I was missing something indeed...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #168
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Just had a thought. Anyone tried to get this working on a Chumby?? I always thought those things were pretty useless, but a Chumby with this python script actually makes some sense. It's wifi so no wires, it gets you on the LAN, and it has a touchscreen. If you could make the remote.py work with the Chumby touchscreen you'd have a LAN based remote sitting on the couch next to you.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #169
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
WMCbrine, I looked into this the XML says whether it is a folder or a video file...
Yeah, that's not the problem. The problem is that you don't know what state the TiVo's own view of the NPL is in -- folded or flat -- you can't determine it remotely, and you can't force it to a known state. So I'd be extremely reluctant to build anything that operated automatically on the NPL.

But if it's just for your own use, and you know the state, then I guess it doesn't matter. I almost never unfold the list here, or change the sort order, so I could assume those.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-17-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #170
fyodor

What python interpreter are you using? I can't get it working my WM6 device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpiro View Post
Got it working on my DELL Pocket PC. Very nice indeed!!!

Now I control the TiVo HD (channel 3) feeding all coax connections in my home via WiFi remote. Too cool!

Thanks again,

Ivan

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #171
duckfin

Quote:
Yeah, that's not the problem. The problem is that you don't know what state the TiVo's own view of the NPL is in -- folded or flat -- you can't determine it remotely, and you can't force it to a known state. So I'd be extremely reluctant to build anything that operated automatically on the NPL.

But if it's just for your own use, and you know the state, then I guess it doesn't matter. I almost never unfold the list here, or change the sort order, so I could assume those.
I've implemented this in the iPhone program. It is not ideal. The sorting/grouping options aren't a big deal. I'm sure I'm missing some specific sorting scenarios (a, an, the, lower case letters, etc.), but there are only four combinations of the sorting options. I don't know if people are changing these settings often (or ever), I know I don't.

The messy part is setting the wait times for the different commands. Once a screen has reached some point, it will queue channel, and up/down commands, but play and select don't get queued. Depending on what the TiVo is doing, or was recently doing, the load times for each screen can take a different amount of time. It is very difficult to recreate difficult scenarios.
(There are configuration options so anyone and everyone can try their hand at tuning the wait times. http://code.google.com/p/tivoremote/wiki/NowPlaying has information on the different settings.)

I don't think there was anything particularly tricky about this, but I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about implementing this in other languages.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #172
snathanb

I can only run it if I set "use_gtk" to False. If I try to use GTK I get just a blank window with the IP address as the title bar, and it locks up.

All my other python/pyGTK apps seem to work ok.
WindowsXp, Python 2.5, GTK 2.0
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #173
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathanb View Post
I can only run it if I set "use_gtk" to False. If I try to use GTK I get just a blank window with the IP address as the title bar, and it locks up.
Curious. Let me know if you figure it out. I only have Gtk on Linux here.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #174
jeffcox65
Rabid HD Junkie

crashing?

is anybody experiencing his or her TiVo box crashing from using any of these tools?

I'm using both the python script and the iPhone tool. (Both are completely amazing as far as I'm concerned. The NowPlaying list displays on my phone, I select any show, and my TiVo magically starts it up. Amazing.)

But every once in a while, the TiVo just shuts down and starts up again. This has only started happening since using this new way into the TiVo.

Am I the only one?
jeffcox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #175
duckfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcox65 View Post
is anybody experiencing his or her TiVo box crashing from using any of these tools?

I'm using both the python script and the iPhone tool. (Both are completely amazing as far as I'm concerned. The NowPlaying list displays on my phone, I select any show, and my TiVo magically starts it up. Amazing.)

But every once in a while, the TiVo just shuts down and starts up again. This has only started happening since using this new way into the TiVo.

Am I the only one?
I heard someone was having a problem with the iPhone program messing up the video decoding. The person thought it had something to do with sending too many commands to the TiVo at once. I have since slowed down the frequency at which commands can be sent, but I haven't heard if it resolved the issue.

My first day of playing around with the telnet interface led to a TiVo restart. I don't know if it was some key sequence I sent (I was typing directly on the socket), or if there was something else involved. I haven't seen any problems since.
I may have been testing having multiple clients connecting to the TiVo at the same time when my crash occurred. Perhaps there is an issue with the TiVo handling multiple connections. (I think I remember the second connection evicting the first connection, which would be somewhat unusual socket behavior, I believe.)

I'm interested if you find out anything more.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #176
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfin View Post
My first day of playing around with the telnet interface led to a TiVo restart. I don't know if it was some key sequence I sent (I was typing directly on the socket), or if there was something else involved. I haven't seen any problems since.
I may have been testing having multiple clients connecting to the TiVo at the same time when my crash occurred. Perhaps there is an issue with the TiVo handling multiple connections. (I think I remember the second connection evicting the first connection, which would be somewhat unusual socket behavior, I believe.)

I'm interested if you find out anything more.
Perhaps it is the telnet client's emulation, I tried using another telnet client and the tivo rebooted, so it was back to the plain telnet.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #177
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcox65 View Post
Am I the only one?
I've had a total of three crashes (one spontaneous reboot, two lockups that I had to manually reboot from) while developing. One of those I can probably blame on a bug -- not in any released version -- in the keyboard simulator that caused a neverending stream of commands. But the other two seemed to be during normal usage. The only thing that might be a factor was having multiple copies open simultaneously (i.e., multiple connections to port 31339). So, my advice is to avoid that; also, to minimize it rather than closing it and opening it again in a short time. I haven't had a crash since I adopted that policy.

But yeah, there's something a bit flaky on the TiVo side of this feature, I'm afraid.

Edit: I posted that before I read duckfin's response. Looks like we had similar experiences.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #178
duckfin

I don't know if anyone else is trying to implement Now Playing type functionality, but I noticed today that sending a "TELEPORT NOWPLAYING" will produce "LIVETV_READY" when the TiVo has finished loading the Now Playing screen. So, instead of waiting an arbitrary period of time after sending an "IRCODE NOWSHOWING" command, programmatically, you can determine when next to send a command, which makes TELEPORT much better for scripting purposes.

(I've tried fiddling around with other parameters for the TELEPORT command but couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more options, perhaps even one to start playing a recorded program.)
Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #179
nocturne1

Mostly off-topic, but since there's iPhone related TiVo development talk in here, I might as well pitch it...

I would LOVE to have an iPhone app that can interface with TiVoCentral to search and setup recordings. The TCO website itself absolutely sucks on the iPhone, and having somewhat of a thin client running here would be a HUGE thing for me.

Of course, if TiVo would just make an iPhone friendly version of that site, we wouldn't need this. But seeing that they can't even make a decent version of it for regular browsers, I'm not holding my breath.

Anyways, that's my wish. And thanks to those who've been working on this telnet control - really cool stuff!
nocturne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #180
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturne1 View Post
Mostly off-topic, but since there's iPhone related TiVo development talk in here, I might as well pitch it...

I would LOVE to have an iPhone app that can interface with TiVoCentral to search and setup recordings. The TCO website itself absolutely sucks on the iPhone, and having somewhat of a thin client running here would be a HUGE thing for me.

Of course, if TiVo would just make an iPhone friendly version of that site, we wouldn't need this. But seeing that they can't even make a decent version of it for regular browsers, I'm not holding my breath.

Anyways, that's my wish. And thanks to those who've been working on this telnet control - really cool stuff!
Maybe one of these other sites work better with an iPhone, they all have a TiVo Online Scheduling interface:
* MeeVee.com – Look for the TiVo icon while browsing.
* TVGuide.com – Select ‘Record with TiVo.’
* Yahoo.com – Look for ‘Record to TiVo’ in TV listings.
* Zap2it.com – Select ‘Record to TiVo.’

*http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get...shows-from-web