TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #181
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldlw View Post
I think it would be best to limit the maximum number of processes that can run at once.. either by type of job or just the total. It would be awesome if that limit could be part of the config file so that if someone has 8 cores they can choose to run 7 or 8 or whatever number, and if someone only has one or two they could set the number lower.
Version 0.4d just released has an option for that.
Quote:
Also, it would be great if when the kmttg script is closed it automatically terminated all of the threads it started up, otherwise i have to go through and close them in task manager. I know you can cancel them through the gui, but in the case when 53 instances of ffmpeg have been started the gui just doesn't work at all. Basically my only choice then is to log-off or reset the system.
In GUI mode you don't even have to go to job manager to kill them all - simply closing the application in GUI mode will terminate all active jobs since it calls an exit procedure to do just that. In Windows however if you kill the job from Task Manager there is no detectable signal sent to Perl that I can trap to call the exit procedure. In UNIX there is a way to trap kill signals, but not in windows from Task Manager from what I've found, so I don't see a way of doing this. The only way I can trap a signal in Windows it is if you run script from a command window and use Ctrl-C to stop execution.

Quote:
Also, i'd like to second the request for an optional final "clean up" batch file.
In version 0.4c I already added file cleanup options to the config so you can enable those now for automatic file cleanup.

Quote:
Oh ya, one other thing that I know would help me, if there was a way to automatically add all of the existing files (or files selected in the gui would be even better) on the tivo to the history file so that if they're already processed they won't have to be processed again in the batch/service mode. And along with that it would be helpful to have the title or file name or something along with the program id in the history file, so that we can look at the file and see what files are marked as processed already.
I'll look into it - probably the logic will be if the "auto.history" file already exists then add entries to it as jobs are processed from the GUI. I can add title names to the auto.history file, though I was trying to keep entries as short as possible since over time that file can grow to be pretty large.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #182
ronaldlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Version 0.4d just released has an option for that.
Excellent, thanks that is a huge help to me, already got my system cranking away on a bunch of mpgs!

Quote:
In GUI mode you don't even have to go to job manager to kill them all - simply closing the application in GUI mode will terminate all active jobs since it calls an exit procedure to do just that. In Windows however if you kill the job from Task Manager there is no detectable signal sent to Perl that I can trap to call the exit procedure. In UNIX there is a way to trap kill signals, but not in windows from Task Manager from what I've found, so I don't see a way of doing this. The only way I can trap a signal in Windows it is if you run script from a command window and use Ctrl-C to stop execution.
Awesome! Sorry, I didn't realize that if i closed it normally that it does close all of the threads, that's perfect! I should be able to hit the close dialog button and will just have to wait for it to actually do the close. Although that shouldn't be a problem with the new version.

Quote:
In version 0.4c I already added file cleanup options to the config so you can enable those now for automatic file cleanup.
Quote:
I'll look into it - probably the logic will be if the "auto.history" file already exists then add entries to it as jobs are processed from the GUI. I can add title names to the auto.history file, though I was trying to keep entries as short as possible since over time that file can grow to be pretty large.
I was thinking it might make sense to add an option under the "auto transfers" menu item that "marks selected as processed" or something.. then you could just add the files selected in the gui to the history file.. And maybe make it optional to add the description to the history file.. good point about it getting pretty big..

Thanks,
Ron
ronaldlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #183
moyekj

Quote:
I was thinking it might make sense to add an option under the "auto transfers" menu item that "marks selected as processed" or something.. then you could just add the files selected in the gui to the history file.. And maybe make it optional to add the description to the history file.. good point about it getting pretty big..
I will release an update tonight addressing these - there is a new "auto transfers" menu entry for adding selections to the history file and the history file entries now include show title in addition to Program ID. Also, if running in GUI mode and the history file exists then processed entries are also now added to the history file so that files you process in GUI mode aren't processed again in batch/service mode.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #184
ronaldlw

Ok, you are taking just way too long to implement this stuff.. just kidding, you rock!

Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #185
moyekj

New version released:
------------------
v0.4e (05/14/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* History file entries now include show title in addition to Program ID.
* There is a new "Auto transfers->Add selected to history file" menu entry for
adding selections from the GUI shows list to the history file.
* If history file is created then successfully downloaded shows in GUI mode are now
also added to the history file so they aren't processed again in batch/service mode.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #186
ronaldlw

Ok, now i'm on to the next part.. figuring out the commercial cutting.. yikes! Comskip seems to do a pretty decent job of finding the commercials, but the comcut part seems to really mess up the video stream. I get some pretty bad effects on the cut. then when it encodes it really throws off the audio sync at those breaks. Am I doing something wrong or is that pretty typical with comskip and mencoder?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #187
moyekj

Quote:
Ok, now i'm on to the next part.. figuring out the commercial cutting.. yikes! Comskip seems to do a pretty decent job of finding the commercials, but the comcut part seems to really mess up the video stream. I get some pretty bad effects on the cut. then when it encodes it really throws off the audio sync at those breaks. Am I doing something wrong or is that pretty typical with comskip and mencoder?

Thanks,
Ron
Yes, for a few programs I tried comcut=mencoder really messes up the sync, for others it's fine. You are generally better off using an mpeg editor such as VideoRedo or Womble to do the cuts. You can have comskip generate cut files for those programs and then import the cut files into them and let them handle the cutting which they do much more effectively. If I want precision commercial removal then I bypass comskip completely and just do it manually in Womble since I can do it very efficiently (takes me about 5 mins to cut out commercials in a 1 hour show).

Last edited by moyekj : 05-14-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #188
ronaldlw

Quote:
Yes, for a few programs I tried comskip=mencoder really messes up the sync, for others it's fine. You are generally better off using an mpeg editor such as VideoRedo or Womble to do the cuts. You can have comskip generate cut files for those programs and then import the cut files into them and let them handle the cutting which they do much more effectively. If I want precision commercial removal then I bypass comskip completely and just do it manually in Womble since I can do it very efficiently (takes me about 5 mins to cut out commercials in a 1 hour show).
I wonder why memcoder would do worse than something like womble? I mean, setting aside if the places that the cut is made are really the start or end of a commercial or not, I would think the actual process of cutting out the parts marked as commercials and re-combining the mpg file should be pretty much the same with the two, right? Does womble use a different way to do the join? if so are there other utilities that would do it the same as womble but in a batch mode?

There are some shows that I might want to go through the process manually, but for the most part i would accept just a rough cut of the commercials, but the audio and video really need to be in sync for it to be usable at all.

Thanks!
Ron
Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #189
ronaldlw

Going to try to explain again what i was thinking with batch mode running from the gui. What I thought would be cool is if we could basically have the batch functionality from within the gui. basically you'd press a batch button or something and the kmttg would go out and figure out what to download, add it to the process list and you could see the process in the gui. Could even have it loop until you press another button (stop batch) or something. So instead of doing all the batch stuff in the background as a service or from a scrip it could happen in the gui.

make any sense? Hard to do?

thanks,
Ron
Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #190
moyekj

Quote:
Going to try to explain again what i was thinking with batch mode running from the gui. What I thought would be cool is if we could basically have the batch functionality from within the gui. basically you'd press a batch button or something and the kmttg would go out and figure out what to download, add it to the process list and you could see the process in the gui. Could even have it loop until you press another button (stop batch) or something. So instead of doing all the batch stuff in the background as a service or from a scrip it could happen in the gui.

make any sense? Hard to do?
Understood. On the surface it sounds like it would not be too hard to implement, but I would have to take a closer look to see if there are any complications.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #191
leiff

Great program. I'm still running 3.e version since I'm not interested in multiple requests or auto transfers. Tivo can only transfer 1 show at a time right? So newer versions won't transfer shows any faster right? Just more easy to automatically cue more shows?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #192
ronaldlw

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Great program. I'm still running 3.e version since I'm not interested in multiple requests or auto transfers. Tivo can only transfer 1 show at a time right? So newer versions won't transfer shows any faster right? Just more easy to automatically cue more shows?
Actually the advantage of the multiple requests is that after the first show is downloaded and the encoding starts on that show the next show can start downloading while the first is encoded. In this way the second show will probably finish downloading before the first one finishes encoding, so the third show can be downloading while the second one encodes, etc...

The way it is in 3.e the download has to finish, then it is encoded, once encoded the next one starts to transfer. so it will take a lot longer to download and encode more than one show.

That said, I think the queue processing still needs some work. I don't think transfers always happen as soon as they could. I still have to spend some time to figure out exactly what happens, but sometimes just an encoding job is running even though there are other transfers in the queue.

Ron
Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #193
moyekj

------------------
v0.4f (05/15/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* A new menu entry is available: Auto Transfers->Run in GUI
This is like running the Auto Transfers batch mode but inside the GUI instead of
a background process. This will automatically match up your titles and keywords
setup in Auto Transfers configuration and queue up all appropriate tasks to be
run in the GUI such that you can monitor jobs just like normal in GUI mode.

BUG FIX:
* Previously copy protected and still recording shows were not being skipped by kmttg
in Auto Transfers mode leading to failures when attempting to download those shows.
This has now been fixed.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #194
ronaldlw

Quote:
------------------
v0.4f (05/15/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* A new menu entry is available: Auto Transfers->Run in GUI
This is like running the Auto Transfers batch mode but inside the GUI instead of
a background process. This will automatically match up your titles and keywords
setup in Auto Transfers configuration and queue up all appropriate tasks to be
run in the GUI such that you can monitor jobs just like normal in GUI mode.

BUG FIX:
* Previously copy protected and still recording shows were not being skipped by kmttg
in Auto Transfers mode leading to failures when attempting to download those shows.
This has now been fixed.
once again, you rock!

Ron
Old 05-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #195
Prince Nez

moyekj,

First off, this is a great little program. I just found this the other day and my dream Tivo setup is now almost complete.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish and it would involve a few minor tweaks of your program.

I have auto transfers setup in kmttg for my most watched shows. It grabs them cuts out the commercials and encodes them. Then I'll have Tivo Desktop auto-transfer them back to the Tivo sans commercials.

Things that would help with this...

1. Can there be an option for a separate conversion directory from the output directory? This way the completed files could be moved at the end of the process to the directory that Tivo Desktop is setup to auto-transfer from. That way it won't try to transfer any of the files that are created during the conversion process.

2. It would need to have an option to put the completed files into separate directories. Preferably the name of the show. This way Tivo Desktop will put the episode back into the same Tivo folder that it grabbed the original from.

3. The metadata file will need to be renamed when the conversion is finished.

4. mencoder is horrible. :-( Comskip does a decent job though. You mentioned a couple of commercial programs other then mencoder. Do any of these integrate seamlessly with your program?

Hopefully you understand where I'm going with this.

Thanks for any help.
Prince Nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #196
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Nez View Post
1. Can there be an option for a separate conversion directory from the output directory? This way the completed files could be moved at the end of the process to the directory that Tivo Desktop is setup to auto-transfer from. That way it won't try to transfer any of the files that are created during the conversion process.

2. It would need to have an option to put the completed files into separate directories. Preferably the name of the show. This way Tivo Desktop will put the episode back into the same Tivo folder that it grabbed the original from.
There are many different things people may want to do as a post-processing step so I don't know that it's a good idea to try and specifically code in every one of them. I have been suggesting that people use a custom batch script (e.g a .bat file) in place of the normal "encoder" executable to do what they want. That combined with receiving the file name as an argument makes it flexible to do whatever you want with the file, including the encoding step embedded withing your batch file if you are using encoding.

Quote:
3. The metadata file will need to be renamed when the conversion is finished.
I need to change kmttg to be smarter about naming the metadata file based on what actions were selected such that re-naming the metadata file shouldn't be necessary. That will be in next update.

Quote:
4. mencoder is horrible. :-( Comskip does a decent job though. You mentioned a couple of commercial programs other then mencoder. Do any of these integrate seamlessly with your program?
Yes as it is right now with mencoder cuts making audio/video sync problems for many shows it's pretty useless, so I should explore another automated program for performing the cuts. Currently I do the video editing phase manually using Womble sometimes using comskip generated cut file as a starting point. It only takes me about 5 mins for a 1 hour show. It would still be nice to have a fully automated method for cases when I don't care so much about precision commercial removal. Supposedly VideoRedo has a batch mode where one can supply a cut file and have it do the cuts, but I don't own VideoRedo (and don't really need it since I have Womble instead). There are probably other batch mode mpeg2 editors out there that may fit the bill, probably some Googling and experimentation are in order. If you happen to run into one that looks promising let me know...

One thing I'm curious about out in your methodology is why do you re-encode the files to a non-mpeg2 file and then send them back to your Tivos? Note that Tivo Desktop then has to convert them back to mpeg2 so you can play them back on your Tivos. It would be better quality and faster to just feed back to the Tivos as mpeg2 files.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #197
ronaldlw

Quote:
There are many different things people may want to do as a post-processing step so I don't know that it's a good idea to try and specifically code in every one of them. I have been suggesting that people use a custom batch script (e.g a .bat file) in place of the normal "encoder" executable to do what they want. That combined with receiving the file name as an argument makes it flexible to do whatever you want with the file, including the encoding step embedded withing your batch file if you are using encoding.
This is a pretty powerful option. Currently I'm doing this so that I can run a two pass encoding on the input file. I also make a copy of the metadata file with the .avi.txt extension and can delete any intermediate files I want from here.

It would be great to have access to more variables though, for example the "encoded ext" from the config file could be used when creating the metadata file copy to automatically use whatever extension the file is encoded to.

Also, it would be awesome if a destination directory could be user defined for each auto transfer entry and then be either passed to the encoder batch file or have kmttg automatically place the file along with it's metadata text file in that destination as Prince Nez requested. This way you could put several types of files in a directory or have nested directories for your destination files without having to move them manually.

Quote:
I need to change kmttg to be smarter about naming the metadata file based on what actions were selected such that re-naming the metadata file shouldn't be necessary. That will be in next update.
Yes, this would be excellent, although it would be nice to have the option to create a metadata file for any or all of the files output. *mpg.txt, avi.txt and maybe even the cut file.. Right now I'm keeping both the encoded avi and the mpg files since I haven't had much luck with the comskip part yet, I want to have the original mpg to process when I finally get that working. So I am putting the AVIs and MPGs in different places and keep the corresponding metadata file along with them.

Quote:
Yes as it is right now with mencoder cuts making audio/video sync problems for many shows it's pretty useless, so I should explore another automated program for performing the cuts. Currently I do the video editing phase manually using Womble sometimes using comskip generated cut file as a starting point. It only takes me about 5 mins for a 1 hour show. It would still be nice to have a fully automated method for cases when I don't care so much about precision commercial removal. Supposedly VideoRedo has a batch mode where one can supply a cut file and have it do the cuts, but I don't own VideoRedo (and don't really need it since I have Womble instead). There are probably other batch mode mpeg2 editors out there that may fit the bill, probably some Googling and experimentation are in order. If you happen to run into one that looks promising let me know...
Yes Yes Yes, something here is a must for me. I'm going to try to spend some time this weekend and early next week looking for a solution as well. There has to be a utility out there that can do the cutting and recombining well. I'll let you know if I find anything too.

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about out in your methodology is why do you re-encode the files to a non-mpeg2 file and then send them back to your Tivos? Note that Tivo Desktop then has to convert them back to mpeg2 so you can play them back on your Tivos. It would be better quality and faster to just feed back to the Tivos as mpeg2 files.
I'm also doing this (reencoding and then sending back to the tivo) except that i'm not using desktop at all, i'm using pyTivo. The main reason I want to reencode is to save space. It's amazing, as I'm sure you know, how fast even a 750 gb or larger drive can fill up with 1 gb+ mpg files from the tivo. So I reencode to xvid and can get 4 or 5 or more times as much stuff on the drive without really loosing too much in quality.

Actually, once I get everything right I think I'll end up with better quality than I had before. This is because before I set the quality of the recording pretty low so that I wouldn't fill up the tivo hard drive too quickly. Before I would just download things I wanted to keep using desktop and archive them. But it was so unstable that I really didn't use it much to put video back to the tivo. Now with kmttg and pytivo i'm pulling everything off of the tivo and re-encoding and archiving it to a big drive. Since everything gets pulled off I set the recording quality to a much higher value to get a better source for the encoding. At this point the final avi file I end up with is basically the same resolution as what I was recording at before, but the files are about half the size. Once I get the commercial cutting working the files can be even smaller, or I can actually increase the quality a bit and still have about the same size files as I'm shooting for.

Thanks again for this great tool!!

Ron
Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #198
moyekj

Minor update (been very busy lately)...

------------------
v0.4g (05/22/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENT:
* Smarter naming of metadata file to match final video file name. Previously
the metadata file was hardcoded to be .mpg.txt.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #199
Prestond

Hi Kevin,

I want to upgrade to latest version, whats best approach for doing so? I am on v0.3e

Also wanted to bump this cause its such a awesome program!

Best Regards,
Preston
Prestond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #200
Prestond

Never mind ...I see on your website the instructions:

"NOTE: If you already an older version installed, you can simply replace your old kmttg.pl file with the new one in this zip file"

Still an awesome program and deserving of bump...

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #201
ronaldlw

auto comskip

anyone had any luck getting automatic commercial skipping to work better? No luck here.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 06-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #202
moyekj

Quote:
anyone had any luck getting automatic commercial skipping to work better? No luck here.
Thanks,
Ron
The biggest problem is the "comcut" step (which uses mencoder to cut out commercial segments detected by comskip) not keeping audio/video in sync. Is this the problem you are referring to? If so I was not able to find a better automated mpeg editor for doing the cuts. However cutting out commercials with Womble (and I would presume VideoRedo) works fine.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #203
spudnic

First off, thank you so much for this.

It looks like program names with a splat (*) in them need to be handled by downloading with %2a and replacing them in the PC filename with some other character.

Case in point, M*A*S*H.

Just a head's up.
spudnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #204
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnic View Post
First off, thank you so much for this.

It looks like program names with a splat (*) in them need to be handled by downloading with %2a and replacing them in the PC filename with some other character.

Case in point, M*A*S*H.

Just a head's up.
Thanks for reporting it. I'm on extended vacation right now but will look into it when I get back.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #205
moyekj

------------------
v0.4h (07/13/2008)
------------------
BUG FIX:
* Shows with '*' characters in the name would not download with kmttg.
The characters are now dropped from the file name in order to prevent
problems.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #206
spudnic

Excellent, thank you.

I've looked around a bit but haven't found this. Is there a way to queue up a list of programs to push to tivo rather than initiating it from NP?
spudnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #207
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnic View Post
Excellent, thank you.

I've looked around a bit but haven't found this. Is there a way to queue up a list of programs to push to tivo rather than initiating it from NP?
For pushing programs to Tivo you have to use a different program such as pyTivo or Tivo Desktop. kmttg is for pulling files only. TD 2.6.1 has auto-push capabilities and I believe some branches of pyTivo also recently added that capability.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #208
moyekj

Minor enhancement useful for those with lots of stuff on their Tivos.

------------------
v0.4i (08/01/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENT:
* Prints statistics for total number of shows, space and time after obtaining
Now Playing List from a Tivo.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #209
Prestond

Kevin,
I love this program. I use this a couple of times a week, I thought it deserves a bounce for KUDOs to you for this...you should add a Donate icon on your website!
Thanks again...
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #210
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestond View Post
Kevin,
I love this program. I use this a couple of times a week, I thought it deserves a bounce for KUDOs to you for this...you should add a Donate icon on your website!
Thanks again...
Thanks! I'm using it every week still as well so that is payment enough.