TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #5401
Majik45

Thought I would reply with my experience with Comcast in the Peoria, IL area on Saturday. The tech rep showed up in the early part of his 1-5pm window. He brought 2 M cards with him for the tivo which I was glad to see they actually had M cards here. He said he hadn't done a whole lot of cable card installs on Tivos, only about 3 in the last year around here. He said the cable card technology was getting better, but that they were still having lots of problems with installing cable cards in actual TV's. Usually this was because the TV's needed firmware upgrades to get the cable cards to work. Of course comcast doesn't know about this, and neither do the users which cause lots of frustrations.

Anyway, the guy put in the M card, and I went ahead and ran through the tivo menus according to the instructions as he thought I would know more about where I needed to go in the menus. He copied down the codes he needed that were picked up by the tivo, and went outside to call in the numbers to a tech. Once he came back in, we ran through the guided set-up again, and it was working fine picking up all kinds of HD channels and everything I needed. I was even getting some HD stations that he didn't think I should be getting which was a bonus for me (he could care less if I was getting more than I was supposed to). Total time was probably about 45 minutes, but most of that was spent with him on the phone or downloading the new guide information. No problems really to speak of other than my analog stations being a little choppy at first, but a quick reboot of the tivo fixed that. The best part is that I only technically have 1 cable card now, so Comcast shouldn't be able to charge me for that since the first one is free.

I'm thinking that slowly but surely cable card installations are becoming more common and the technology is catching up to avoid some of the earlier problems.
Majik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #5402
garath

Pluses and Minuses for my install in Ansonia, CT on Saturday.

Minus is the rep that took my order had little clue what she was doing with Cablecards. She insisted that Comcast did not carry M-stream cards at all. She even 'checked with her supervisor'. So I relented and asked for 2 S-steam cards. I also asked that she make a note for the tech to bring spares as I have read about the high failure rate. She proceeded to tell me that wouldn't be possible as each card is paired to a system and spares wouldn't be feasible. I didn't want to argue so I let it go.

Additional minus was getting a call from the installer Saturday morning near the end of the window saying he would be there shortly only to get a call right back saying "oh, I didn't realize this was a cablecard install. I'm just a subcontracter, we aren't allowed to do CC installs. I called Comcast and they'll send out a guy but not sure when".

An hour later the real Comcast tech called asking what I needed. I told him 2 S-stream cards or a single M-stream card. I noted that the girl on the phone said they didn't carry M-stream cards but he said "Oh, yeah we do." When he showed up he had 3 M-stream cards. It took trying all 3 before we finally got positive CP Auth, EMMs processed and subsequently HD digital channels showing up.

Seems to be working great now though! Overall thumbs up. They seem to be getting better - at least from the tech side of things. Customer service and sales really need re-education on cable cards though. Ordering it was a frustrating process and none of the people I spoke to in that dept demonstrated a clear understanding of the product.
garath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #5403
DCipher

Boston Area (Andover) Comcast:

Adding TivoHD - non-primary outlet fee of $5/month, 1st cablecard free, and they say they have M-Cards so that should be it. 2nd cablecard would be $1.50/month.

Keeping existing HD cable box is $6/month.

How do folks get comcast to waive the $5 additional outlet monthly fee? Seems like such a bogus charge.

Truck roll is $13.95 (they don't stock them in any of the offices around me).

thx
DCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #5404
ajny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
(I guess I was lucky that it was CC 1 that had the problem, if CC 2 was the problem I would not have found out because tivo uses CC 1 for live tv and all would have appeared normal until tivo needed to tune a channel with cc 2).

Not sure I understand- Tivo uses both CCs for live TV/recordings. To switch between CCs, just press the Live TV buttone a second time and it toggles between the two CCs. I have a M-type card, and each press of the Live TV button toggles to the other tuner/stream. I have not tested it with two S-type cards, but I believe it should work. I did not know abt this feature, believe it or not, my comcast installer told me about this feature. (and no, he was not able to get the the cablecard working....a subsequent visit by another installer got the M-card working. FWIW, I am in central NJ).
ajny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #5405
FPDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik45 View Post
Anyone else here have Comcast in Central Illinois for the install yet? We are in an area that had Insight communications but was recently bought out and transitioned to Comcast, so I'm not sure how things will go.
I am in Central Illinois; Decatur, Illinois. We also had Insight Communications which is now Comcast "Craptastic". I am in week #7 of trying to get my new TiVo HD up and running. Initially of course Comcast blamed TiVo and vice versa. At this point I have my third TiVo unit via exchange and have the same problems placing this solely in Comcast's Court. The recurring issue is that after a few hours I will lose all nondigital programming on both cards. They had advised me Multi-cards are not available in this area. My HD channels will always work. If I restart the TiVo, all channels work beautifully on both tuners but not for more than about two hours. Sometimes less than 10 minutes and I will lose all the non-HD channels. We have gone through an amazing amount of troubleshooting and had made absolutely no improvements.

I have been watching these forums and could not find anyone with the same problem. No one at TiVo or Comcast had heard of this problem. However, I finally feel like we may be getting somewhere. Finally on 05/09/2008 I received an email from one of the local Comcast support people indicating that Comcast has discovered a connectivity problem to a server at Insight that is creating issues with cable cards. Apparently this only effects new cable cards going into accounts and cable cards being changed on existing accounts in all Central Illinois sites. At this point they are "working on a fix" but an ETA is unknown at this point.

I hope this helps others avoid wasting their time trying a bunch of fixes that will not work. Regardless of the final outcome here, I can't wait until Verizon FIOS comes to this area.
FPDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #5406
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just called to get my Tivo HD cablecards installed. She said it would be $17.95 for the install and $1.xx per month for the card. I told her it could take an M card. We will see what the guy shows up with.

I have had the Tivo going in a different room to make sure it worked since it is a refurb. Do I need to set it up and move it into the living room before they arrive? I haven't set up my account with Tivo yet (I have owned a Tivo for many years but it was a DirecTivo so I don't have an acct). Do I need to set up the account after we get the cablecards working? Or should I go ahead and get that set up?

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #5407
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMeScot View Post
Just called to get my Tivo HD cablecards installed. She said it would be $17.95 for the install and $1.xx per month for the card. I told her it could take an M card. We will see what the guy shows up with.

I have had the Tivo going in a different room to make sure it worked since it is a refurb. Do I need to set it up and move it into the living room before they arrive? I haven't set up my account with Tivo yet (I have owned a Tivo for many years but it was a DirecTivo so I don't have an acct). Do I need to set up the account after we get the cablecards working? Or should I go ahead and get that set up?
I would go ahead and set everything up, run Guided Setup. Force a couple of connections so it upgrades to the latest software version.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #5408
jimbo1mcm

Force upgrades?

Why would we want to force upgrades to 9.3 when there are so many problems?My plan is going like this: My unit came with 8.1.... and I did the guided setup, and pulled the phone line. I have guide data to May 29. The Comcast guy is coming Monday to install two cable cards. If he gets it running properly, I will wait awhile to go to 9.3. In the meantime, I will probably try and make an image of the drive with 8.1 on it.
jimbo1mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #5409
bigpatky

i've got a tivo hd with an m-card. i haven't had any problems since i bought it 3 months ago. all of a sudden this morning, abc hd, nbc hd, pbs hd, and fox hd are not getting a signal. every other hd and regular channels are coming in fine. i restarted my tivo, talked to comcast support and they couldn't do anything. they are sending someone out on wednesday morning to take a look at it. i hate waiting on a tech.

i also asked them which hd channels they leave unencrypted because my tv has a atsc qam tuner. i needed to watch a game on nbc in hd and he told me my tv needed to have another cable card installed otherwise i wouldn't be able to get any hd stations. i asked if it was even the channels i could get ota with an antenna and he confirmed i wouldn't be able to get any hd stations at all without a cable card or an antenna.

well, i plugged the cable into the tv and ran a channel scan and i get all of the ota hd stations through the cable without a box or cable card. it didn't look that great, though. too compressed. but much better than the sd stations. it seemed to me that the comcast rep on the phone was just ignorant. not like the tech that came out to set up my internet that told me even if i bought my own wireless router, it wouldn't work unless i called up comcast so they could charge me monthly for the privilege of using the internet wirelessly. that was just deceitful. he told me 3-4 other lies when he came out.

anyone have any suggestions to get those hd stations working so i don't have to wait for the tech guy to come out on wednesday? tivo hd with one m-card installed. all stations come in fine except for 4 hd stations. other hd stations come in fine too. please help.
bigpatky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #5410
davidatfsu

I've had a number of S2 TiVos for years. Never bothered to upgrade to TiVoHD, since I never had an HDTV... until now. Comcast will be out to set up my cable here in Atlanta, GA in a couple weeks. Wanted some hardcore TiVo fan feedback.

Keeping in mind that I absolutely love TiVo and would hate to lose that interface, is it really worth buying a TiVoHD, paying more to TiVo per month (keeping the S2 in the bedroom), paying to install the CableCARDs, etc. rather than just getting the HD DVR from Comcast? Has anyone had Comcast HD DVR experience and switched back to TiVo?

Forgive me if this is not the correct thread to ask this... Just point me in the right direction.
davidatfsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM   #5411
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidatfsu View Post
Has anyone had Comcast HD DVR experience and switched back to TiVo?
I have (2) Series 3 units, (1) TiVo HD and (1) Comcast DVR (SA8300HD). I keep the Comcast DVR for access to OnDemand. All I can say is if I had to actually use a Comcast DVR as my primary receiver, I'd probably give up TV. It really feels like going back to the dark ages, like when one had to program VCR's and ensure tapes were rewound and the record tab hadn't been broken off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #5412
aaronwt
HD Addict

Why don't you try the Comcast HD DVR and see how long it takes you to dump it and go back to TiVo.
If you had never used a TiVo you probably would like the Comcast HD DVR because you would have no idea what you are missing. But after using a TiVo, you would realize how crappy the other DVR solutions are.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #5413
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why don't you try the Comcast HD DVR and see how long it takes you to dump it and go back to TiVo.
If you had never used a TiVo you probably would like the Comcast HD DVR because you would have no idea what you are missing. But after using a TiVo, you would realize how crappy the other DVR solutions are.
The Comcast DVR isn't bad until you compare it to Tivo. The worst part about the DVR is the trouble it has with conflicts and it has no 28 day rule. I love to watch series on Discovery and the Comcast DVR will record the same show over and over and over and over. And it will sometimes delete stuff to do that. Stuff that I haven't had time to watch yet. I will be glad to have my Tivo HD hooked up on Wed.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #5414
Majik45

I have an HD Tivo, my parents have the Comcast DVR. I can't stand the interface and working with the Comcast DVR because I have Tivo. My parents love the Comcast DVR and think it's great because they didn't have anything like it before they got it. I guess it depends on your perspective.
Majik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #5415
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMeScot View Post
The Comcast DVR isn't bad until you compare it to Tivo. The worst part about the DVR is the trouble it has with conflicts and it has no 28 day rule. I love to watch series on Discovery and the Comcast DVR will record the same show over and over and over and over. And it will sometimes delete stuff to do that. Stuff that I haven't had time to watch yet. I will be glad to have my Tivo HD hooked up on Wed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik45 View Post
I have an HD Tivo, my parents have the Comcast DVR. I can't stand the interface and working with the Comcast DVR because I have Tivo. My parents love the Comcast DVR and think it's great because they didn't have anything like it before they got it. I guess it depends on your perspective.
Yep, it's exactly a perspective problem. If you've never seen/used a DVR, the cable company ones are pretty good, as compared to say, a VCR.

Once you've seen TiVo, the cable company dvrs suddenly become craptacular. A year with the original HD dvr from Comcast got me twitching to the point where I bought the S3 on launch day, and adding lifetime cost me another $300, IIRC. I consider it $1100 well spent.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #5416
jimbo1mcm

Concast Connecticut!!!

Called and scheduled an install of 2 cable cards in my series 3 Tivo. I specifically told the scheduler that I wanted someone who had done it before and to absolutely call me before he/she came. Got the call today. The installer thought that he was putting a card in a tv. He had never done a Tivo. I told him not to come and find someone who knew what they were doing and re-schedule me. They said they found someone and I am scheduled for tomorrow. They just don't get it!!!!! I will post the results of tomorrow's visit. I have low expectations and I am sure they will be met.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #5417
jacindc

We've been using the Comcast HD DVR (Motorola 3416) for a while now, alongside DirecTivo boxes, so I've got a lot of experience with both. But a Series 3 HD Tivo is on its way. and we're cancelling DirecTV. As someone said above, the biggest (and really to me, only) really annoying downfall of the Motorola box is the inability to not record something it's already recorded in the last 30 days. If it had that, I probably would have stuck with the Comcast DVR despite being one the earliest and most vociferous adopters of Tivo. (My original 14-hour Phillips Tivo is still chugging along!)

That's comparing the Comcast DVR to a DirecTivo, of course. The networking/to-go options of a Series 3 Tivo really make it no contest, I imagine. But I can see why some people, if they've never had an actual Tivo, would be quite happy with the Comcast/Moto boxes. They're not godawful.
jacindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #5418
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
...The installer thought that he was putting a card in a tv. He had never done a Tivo. I told him not to come and find someone who knew what they were doing and re-schedule me. They said they found someone and I am scheduled for tomorrow...
Installing the Cable Cards is trivial. You could do it yourself. The TiVo instructions have all the details deeded. What is critical is the person the installer gets connected with when calling in that matters. Fortunately, you only had a day delay. It would not have been worth waiting any longer. Just keep the remote in your hands and you should be OK.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #5419
DigitalAnarchist

Had Comcast just install 2 M-cards (Motorola) in my 2 THDs last week. Installer was very good, they installed fine and just work. I expected the worst and got the best.

Last edited by DigitalAnarchist : 05-19-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added location
DigitalAnarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #5420
jimbo1mcm

Comcast Update!!!

Connecticut. My appointment was scheduled for 11-2 yesterday. No call. No show. I called Comcast and they apologized and offered me a $20 credit. I took it. They said someone would call me in 30 minutes. No call. I called Comcast again. Got another $20 credit. They said that definitely someone would call me. No call. I rescheduled for tomorrow. A monopoly is a wonderful way to run a business. There is no pressure to perform.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #5421
steinercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAnarchist View Post
Had Comcast just install 2 M-cards (Motorola) in my 2 THDs last week. Installer was very good, they installed fine and just work. I expected the worst and got the best.

Yeps, had mine installed about 3 weeks ago here in Foster City.

The guy knew exactly what he was doing, and installed on a Sunday. (Except for the part when he pulled the cable card without turning the THD off - I didn't know you could do that...but no harm came of it as I ran setup when he re-inserted)

Only problem now is I only get 1 Starz channel in the SD lineup. I'll get that fixed next.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #5422
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Installer is here now. He picked up 2 cards even though the order was for 1 because he knew he would need 2 but we are getting error 161-1 on the 2nd card. We have tried it in both slots. It does seem like this is a fatal error. The other card is working fine. Ironically, that was the extra card he picked up. He tried to get an M card but they didn't have any. We are THIS far into using these cards and they STILL don't have them?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #5423
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
A few questions. I have a Tivo HD which came with 3 free months using the 12 month service. Once the 3 months are up, can you go in and change to another plan, like Lifetime, without penalty?

I signed up for the Tivo service. How long before the DVR recognizes it? I had it connect to Tivo shortly after paying for the service but it still doesn't think I have service.

I am running the picture from the HDMI to my Receiver and my receiver to my TV and the picture is not nearly as good as the picture I am getting from my Comcast DVR. I did it that way because my TV only has one HDMI input and I have 2 (and soon to be 3) devices that use HDMI. Is the Receiver causing the poor picture quality? It is a good receiver. Denon AV788. How could I get a better picture?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #5424
itcrashed

Positive experience

Day 1:
Ordered TiVo S3 + TiVo Wireless adapter online.

Day 2:
Anxiously awaiting my shipment and doing lots of research on this forum!

Day 3:
9:00 am Recieved my shipment
12:00 pm Traded my Comcast Motorola DVR for two M-Cards at the Comcast Store. The gal at the counter knew exactly what I was doing and even asked if it was a TiVo S3 that these cards were going in.
5:00 pm Installed my TiVo S3 with the wireless adapter, activated my TiVo online and started Guided Setup. I wrote down the serial number/host id/and data id of both cards. I inserted both M-Cards and took about 10 minutes to get familiar with all the menus and then called Comcast Customer Support to activate.
5:30 pm CSR knew what I wanted and he knew what he was doing on his end. We had both cards activated and validated in about 20 minutes.
6:00 pm All the channels and packages I ordered worked on both Cable Cards!
7:30 pm All the program data was updated. I noticed my TiVo was on v8.0 so I did a few manual updates.
9:00 pm My TiVo was updated to v9.3.
10:00 pm Installed TiVo Desktop on my PC and upgraded to Plus.
11:00 pm Install 100% complete!

My experience with setup was way ahead of my expectations (especially after reading most of this thread.) It really only took half a day to get everything running properly. No truck roll needed.

It really helped to get all of the Cable Card info all in one spot and to be familiar with the Cable Card menu BEFORE calling Comcast support. (It also helped that I previously owned 2x Lifetime S2 boxes in the past - so I knew how TiVos worked in general.)

I suppose I was lucky that my CSR knew what he was doing. He even gave me his direct extension to call him if there was any problem after activating. He did admit that older, saltier CSRs refuse to learn the applications they use in their system to activate Cable Cards and that is why so many people have many problems getting it setup properly.

...one last thing...we'll see what the Comcast bill looks like. I'm curious to see if they entered all my services correctly: Single digital port with 2 cable cards.
itcrashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #5425
jimbo1mcm

Comcast Connecticut

Another missed appointment today, got another $20 credit, plus they waived the truck roll fee. Finally got a tech late in the day who knew what he was doing and the cards got installed and activated in about 45 minutes. Now I just have to wait for the 9.3 freeze!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #5426
jjobev

Not getting all channels

I purchased an TivoHD a couple of weeks ago and a Comcast tech came and installed the M card without too many problems. Subsequent to that, my Tivo stopped working correctly, so I exchanged for a new box last night. I put the M-Card into the new TivoHD and I am getting all channels except for HBO, Showtime, Starz and Mojo. I spent about 5 hours on the phone with Tivo and Comcast last night. Some people seemed helpful and some were not helpful at all. However, I was still never able to get these channels working. I think that they did the pairing to make sure the Host ID matched and I even tried with another M-card since the tech left a second one when he came to install thinking I needed that. I don't want to have someone come out again. I feel like with two cards in my possession I should be able to get this done over the phone. Do you all have any suggestions of specific things I should be asking the Comcast people to look for or perform over the phone? We tried sending multiple hits to the box, but I think they had the wrong Host ID for many of those tries even though I had given them the information. Thanks
jjobev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #5427
jimbo1mcm

guided setup

Re-do the guided setup and make sure you select the premium channels when asked.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #5428
jjobev

Not getting all channels

I've tried the guided set up a couple of times. When I try to go to HBO for example, the Tivo banner tells me the channel name and programming info, however, it gives me the screen that says "this screen is shown on behalf of you cable provider" and then lists the cablecard id, host id, data, etc. I remember the comcast tech having to read this info when he called back to the office and I provided info from this page to the comcast person I spoke to on the phone. I am trying to figure out if there are any specific things that I should "guide" them to focus on since they don't seem to know to much.
jjobev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:03 AM   #5429
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Good THD install didn't get new channels

Comcast just bumped their local plant from 550MHz to 860MHz and - tada - new HD channels.

We're getting the new channels on our Motorola 6412P3. The TiVoHD has the new channels in the guide data, but we only get a "Channel Not Available" message.

I'm guessing this is an authorization issue and that I need to call Comcast. Are there any magic words that will help the CSR figure out how to help?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #5430
nirisahn

I had my M card installed Wednesday. When I originally set the appointment, I asked if they have M cards. The person making the appointment insisted they only have S cards. When the installer showed up, I asked him if he had M cards and he said he's had them for about 4 months. I asked if he could put in an M card instead of 2 S cards. When the tech called in to give the matchup info, the person he spoke to kept insisting the box needed two cards. It took a while for him to finally straighten things out.

The whole process took about an hour. It would have been less, but the plug came out when he turned the box to see where if the cards went in from the back and when he plugged it back in the TiVo to started to process an update. I was worried the machine would need an hour to process and I'd have to reschedule the appointment. The tech had just hung up the phone from trying to arrange for me to call in the information and finish the match up when the update finished processing.

Compared to some of the stories I've read here, I'd say the process went relatively smoothly. I love my new HDTiVo!
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote