TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #5371
WDA_CZAR

I had the same error today when the comcast guy installed a MCard. I could not get any channels to work.
He only had one so he went and got another. When he returned and installed the replacement card i could only get channels 02-27 .
So he said they would send another guy out the next day and try another card.

While waiting for the new card i still had the one he left. So i tried a reboot of the tivo to clean and clear every thing. When it was done i got the error again & still only get channels 2-27.
WDA_CZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #5372
jimbo1mcm

Cable Cards

Why are there so many defective cards? Are the service guys just re-cycling cards that don't work? Or is there a real manufacturing problem?
jimbo1mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #5373
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
Why are there so many defective cards? Are the service guys just re-cycling cards that don't work? Or is there a real manufacturing problem?
No, it's mostly improper configuration by the cable company. Either they screwed up inventorying it and somewhere in their system some ID numbers aren't properly entered, or it's entered wrong on your account and the cable system's software is horrible allowing all sorts of syntax errors in data entered that causes authentication failures of various sorts, or the installer didn't pre-update the firmware and then didn't allow the firmware update to complete in the field before assuming it was a bad card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #5374
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post

Yes, in some cases, I heard bad cards sometimes re-enter the pool. That was several months ago, I would hope that issue has been fixed by now.
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #5375
clifburns

In my case the 161-38 error seemed to resolve itself eventually. After 24 hours, I had no more instances of the error and programs recorded properly. The one other person to report this error on the Tivo forum also reported that the problem resolved itself for him as well. Apparently the card needs some time to update itself and to get all the lineup information set up properly.
clifburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #5376
rick123

Comcast is clueless...

Made my 3rd call to Comcast today.

First call Tuesday. Rep obviously barely knew what a cablecard was. I was on and off hold for 45 minutes as she tracked down supervisors and answers. She insisted that Comcast does not have multi-stream CCs. After 45 minutes I had to get off phone so I asked her to flag my account that I needed a M-stream CC for a tivo HD.

Second call Wednesday. Asked first rep to please transfer me to someone familiar with CC installation in my area (southern NH). I talked with a very helpful tech rep in Manchester NH who thought I might be able to go to my local Comcast office and pick up a M-stream card and do the install myself. She told me she sent several e-mails and would get back to me later in the day. She never got back to me...

Third call Thursday. Asked again for a local tech rep in Manchester, hoping to get to the same phone bank location as the previous call and talk to the same rep from second call. No luck, got one based in Boston. This rep insisted!!! that Comcast does not carry M-stream cards. I told her you can read all over the internet about people getting MS cards from Comcast, she continued to insist that I was wrong and Comcast has never had MS cards.

I obviously need the cards, and she at least could help me with that. So I have an appointment to have 2 SS CCds installed. Will be charged $5 for the first card and $1.50 for the second. She explained not primary outlet, etc... Not gonna argue the charges with a tech rep, will wait and see if I can talk them down after the box is working. Will be charged $16.95 for the truck roll.

How difficult would it be for Comcast to print up a single page training sheet for all it's reps with basic CC information. Make them sign off that they have read the info and understand what they have read. Basic stuff like we have SS and MS cable cards, they can (or can't ) be installed by end-user, the end-user charges will be..., etc. That is basic business stuff.

I guess when there is no competition they have you by the balls... They suck, but the only realistic option for our familiy...

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #5377
WDA_CZAR

Cable guy came out today and tried a 3rd MCard no luck would not acquire any channels. So he put in 2 single stream cards and it works fine.
I have two tivo HDs. so i got 4 Scards now. was hoping to go with two Mcards but i guess i just have to pay the extra $3 a month to have it work correctly.

FYI The brand of cards they are using are Motorola.
WDA_CZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 PM   #5378
jlib
Lean Forward

I thought it might be good to post this message from another thread describing a solution to a cable card re-pairing problem so that it is archived here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
Finally!

Overall this is truly comical. To pair my cards Comcast sent out a tech who called their cable card expert (that ONE guy), who paired my cable cards in less than two minutes.

I talked to their cable card expert and he explained how he solved the problem. To solve the problem he only sends the second hit (CCV), but not the first hit. The reason 1st & 2nd teer support at comcast failed was because they follow Comcast's "TiVo Cable card setup" script/procedures that has them send two hits to the TiVo. The problem is that hit #1 resets the Data ID in the Comcast system, thus invalidates the second hit (CCV). He said to properly (re)pair the cards Comcast needs verify that the data IDs match by manually entering the data ID if they don't match. Once the Data Ids match what is on the TiVo screen, then only send Hit #2.

Basically the "TiVo Cable card setup" script/procedures works when adding a new TiVo into their system, but the script doesn't work when correcting cable card problems with existing TiVos.

Last edited by jlib : 05-02-2008 at 03:33 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #5379
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

I live in Indianapolis and I got two S cable cards for my HD Tivo last week. I received the few HD stations that we get, but not the music channels. I called Comcast and they tried to hit the cards, but it did not fix the problem. They sent another installer out yesterday and after an hour on the phone he got Cable Card One card to work as it should. Cable Card 2 other still does not get the music channels, but it does get the HD stations. He finally tried another card, and it did not fix the problem. He told me he would speak to his boss the next day and have him call me since he was the expert with cable cards. I did not get the call as promised. I called Comcast today and explained the situation again. The lady I talked to gave me a call # and said someone would call me within 3 hours to arrange another service call. Guess what, no one called. So I will call Comcast again tomorrow and demand to speak with a supervisor. Any ideas on what needs to be done? I have the feeling the problem is that the person at Comcast is not configuring things correctly.
Bettamojo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #5380
khm1234

I had a mostly positive experience with Comcast in the Chicago area (Glenview).

When I made my first call, they said I could pick up the card and do the installation myself. I called back again just to confirm and to see if I needed a order number, they said I didn't need an order number. So I go to the Comcast office and they say they don't give out cards, you need to schedule an appointment. I then called them back and spoke to another rep who seemed really sharp. She said they are giving them out but only in certain areas, not in my area.

When the installer came everything went very smoothly. He installed the M-card and it worked the first time. I was told there was a $24 charge for the card but no monthly charge. They waived the $18 installation because of the misinformation given to me.
khm1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #5381
a68oliver

New Channels

With all the bad news Comcast seems to generate, I thought I should post something positive. When things go wrong, people complain. When things go right, you never hear about it.

Comcast announced in a recent mailing that new channels would be added to my lineup on May 1. Before going to bed on 4/30 (well actually early on 5/1) I checked my channel lineup to see if anything had changed. It had not. On 5/1 I checked and found the cablecards had received the new channel map and all the promised channels were there.

However, Tivo had not yet found guide info. Later in the day, after the daily call around 2 pm, all the new guide info was there.

I was fearing that there would be a snafu. But it all worked perfectly.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #5382
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettamojo5 View Post
I live in Indianapolis and I got two S cable cards for my HD Tivo last week. I received the few HD stations that we get, but not the music channels. I called Comcast and they tried to hit the cards, but it did not fix the problem. They sent another installer out yesterday and after an hour on the phone he got Cable Card One card to work as it should. Cable Card 2 other still does not get the music channels, but it does get the HD stations. He finally tried another card, and it did not fix the problem. He told me he would speak to his boss the next day and have him call me since he was the expert with cable cards. I did not get the call as promised. I called Comcast today and explained the situation again. The lady I talked to gave me a call # and said someone would call me within 3 hours to arrange another service call. Guess what, no one called. So I will call Comcast again tomorrow and demand to speak with a supervisor. Any ideas on what needs to be done? I have the feeling the problem is that the person at Comcast is not configuring things correctly.
Just had my third visit from Comcast over the course of two weeks. In all I had 5 different people show up to work on this and called Comcast 4 times about it. But finally both cable cards are configured and working! It was a matter of the installer calling the right person and getting the second card configured correctly. Here's hoping for the best in the future.
Bettamojo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #5383
GadgetGeek
Tivo/Galleon Rocks!

I live in the Denver area, and just installed two TiVo HDs. Comcast came out and installed the M Cablecards, lots of issues getting their technical desk to configure the cards correctly, but finally it got done, and everything works great.

My problem is that the Comcast jerks are charging me $3.00 for the cablecards, 6.95 for the digital package and then another 7.00 a month for a HDTV Converter which of course I don't have. I called and complained and they told me (after talking to a supervisor) that I have to pay for a HDTV Converter even if I don't have one.

What a rip! Anyone else in the Denver/Littleton area having the same issue?

TiVo HD

Windows XP
HMO
Galleon
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #5384
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
that I have to pay for a HDTV Converter even if I don't have one.
None of us have seen that before.

Comcast on the East Coast does not charge for a
HDTV Converter. They do charge for CableCards.

The CableCard is your HDTV Converter.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #5385
topjazz

Comcast Doesn't Have Cable Cards?

The good news is, I don't pay Comcast for cable cards.

The bad news is, I don't pay for cable cards, because Comcast told me they don't have any!!!!

I've owned a Series3 from the beginning, and thought I'd replace a Series2 with an HD unit. Called Comcast to arrange a truck roll for card installation. Day before the appointment they call to say the tech isn't coming because they don't have any cable cards.

Set an appointment for a week later, and same thing happens. Hours before the appointment, get a call saying they don't have cable cards.

How is it that one of the largest cable companies in the country (the world?) can't come up with 2 cable cards in a week?

I'm amazed!
topjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #5386
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjazz View Post
How is it that one of the largest cable companies in the country (the world?) can't come up with 2 cable cards in a week?

I'm amazed!
Let me guess you are in the VA area.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #5387
lachacg
Go Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
None of us have seen that before.

Comcast on the East Coast does not charge for a
HDTV Converter. They do charge for CableCards.

The CableCard is your HDTV Converter.
Uh, I beg to differ. Comcast NJ Union does the exact same thing. I pay an extra $6.95 for a fictional "HDTV Converter". When they take it off the bill, I lose all my digital channels. I've given up as FIOS is being activated in my town a few blocks away, so I'll be switching soon.
lachacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #5388
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachacg View Post
Uh, I beg to differ. Comcast NJ Union does the exact same thing. I pay an extra $6.95 for a fictional "HDTV Converter". When they take it off the bill, I lose all my digital channels. I've given up as FIOS is being activated in my town a few blocks away, so I'll be switching soon.
I think that only proves Comcast - on a Locality Basis
does different things.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:23 AM   #5389
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachacg View Post
I have attached the section of my Comcast BILL
that shows the $5 charge for each CableCard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture.jpg (50.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #5390
topjazz

Quote:
Let me guess you are in the VA area.
Yep! Northern VA to be exact. How did you know?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #5391
drhankz

Quote:
I have read so many HORROR stories here on this
board about VA customers never getting CableCards.

It is the result of your local cable management.

Other Comcast Customers in other parts of the country
my find some tech's who are clueless - but there are
no CableCard shortages.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #5392
topjazz

Quote:
I have read so many HORROR stories here on this
board about VA customers never getting CableCards.

It is the result of your local cable management.

Other Comcast Customers in other parts of the country
my find some tech's who are clueless - but there are
no CableCard shortages.
Sorry I missed that. It's so stupid, but I guess that surprises no one. Comcast blows.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #5393
jrm01

A poster on the tivo helpforum reported that they got the following flyer in the mail from Comcast:

Quote:
I live in SW Florida.

Their exact words are "Our records indicate that you have a Motorola Cable Card(s) that will no longer be compatible with our upgraded cable network as of May 31, 2008. Exchange your Motorola Cable Card(s) into an office today and we'll give you HBO free and a converter free for 3 months."
How's that for friendly support. FCC should be interested in this, as well as the BBB, state AG and Local Franchise Authority.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #5394
drhankz

Quote:
Sorry I missed that. It's so stupid, but I guess that surprises no one. Comcast blows.
Somewhere in this forum is a LIST of Comcast Supervisor
Contact info numbers. You can try using it and making WAVES

The LIST IS HERE
Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #5395
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
They charge me zero here in Woodbridge for two cable cards. When I had six with them last year they also charged me zero. Whether they are supposed to or not I don't know, but it's certainly better than the $24 I pay for 8 cable cards from FiOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #5396
Majik45

I've got the Comcast guys coming to my house here in Central IL on Saturday as I just got HD Tivo. They had to upgrade me to the digital starter package to allow for the Cable Cards on the phone last night (it took forever for him to figure out how to do it) which was like and extra $2 a month on my bill but supposedly I will get more HD channels. My first card will be free and my 2nd will be $1.99 a month. Install is supposed to be $17 for the truck to roll over. I asked for 1 M card, but I'm guessing I'll get 2 regular cards. Anyone else here have Comcast in Central Illinois for the install yet? We are in an area that had Insight communications but was recently bought out and transitioned to Comcast, so I'm not sure how things will go.
Majik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #5397
equinoxx

Comcast, suburban Boston here. Bought my THD last Friday, and since I was already out, and it was just five minutes away, I stopped by my local office to schedule my cc install. There were two people in line ahead of me; but it beat waiting on hold in a phone queue. Inside of ten minutes, I had an appointment set for Tuesday, and a quote of $13.95 for the truck roll.

Tuesday, a contractor comes and installs a Motorola POD2000, swearing it's an M-card, despite the TiVo reporting that an S-card is in the slot. I tell him that if it's going to operate as an S-card, I'll need two; he says the work order only calls for one card, and leaves. I've got my digital and HD channels, but only one tuner. So... pick up the phone, call Comcast. The CSR I reach says she'll issue a come-back to dispatch. A little later, Comcast calls me back, and I talk to another CSR who apologetically explains that a multi-stream card was not specified on the work order, and the installers only pick up what they need for each day's slate from the warehouse. She schedules a new truck roll for the following day (yesterday).

Wednesday, a different contractor shows up, and the first thing he says is, "you need a multi-stream card installed?" I show him to the THD, he pulls the POD2000, pops in a new card which, after a second or two, the TiVo reports as an M-card and calls in the new data. The THD reports the card paired properly, but still only shows a single tuner. The contractor waits while I re-do guided setup. We converse a bit while waiting for setup to complete, and he says that dispatch seems to call him a lot to install TiVo software on Comcast DVRs, or to straighten out CableCARD problems. Nice to know they sent the go-to guy... but I can't help wishing they'd sent him a day earlier. Setup completes, both tuners are rocking the digital goodness and the contractor is off to finish his day's work (a re-connect, a disconnect, moving a modem and two phone service installs). All told, he was here for about an hour and a half, but 90% of that time was literally spent waiting, either in the hold queue for a rep at the headend to provision the card, or for guided setup to complete.

Took two trips, but all-in-all, I'm gonna count myself ahead of the game.
equinoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #5398
arlington
Arlington

Arlington, Virginia

My M-Card from Comcast in Arlington, Virginia, is entirely free. No one-time charge. No monthly charge. There was not even an installation charge, because I got it as part of an upgrade to digital service.

Getting the card was the difficult part. There is a severe shortage of CableCards and no system for waitlisting customers. Comcast customers who have waited one day for a CableCard are given the same priority for CableCards as customers who have waited six months.

Comcast personnel will tell you that you should "wait" to schedule an appointment until CableCards are stock. But given that CableCards stay in stock for only a day or two and given that appointments for installation must be scheduled several days in advance, customers who wait to schedule appointments when CableCards are in stock find that CableCards are out of stock by the time of their appointment.

Even worse, if a customer is able to schedule an appointment on a day when a CableCard happens to be in stock, the technician is unlikely to be able to install the card. The first time a technician tried to install a CableCard at my home, Comcast “warehouse” personnel told me that the card could not be connected to the system because it was “defective.” The technician assured me that the card was probably not defective, but that this is what “warehouse” personnel routinely say when they don’t know how to configure the system to accept a CableCard. Their CableCard training has been completely inadequate.

The only reason I have a CableCard today is that, the second time a technician tried to install a CableCard at my home, I refused to accept a Comcast “warehouse” personnel’s claim that the card was “defective.” Indeed, I threw somewhat of a tantrum. This led the technician to move up the chain and call a Comcast “head-in” technician who was finally able to configure the system to accept the card.
arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #5399
topjazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They charge me zero here in Woodbridge for two cable cards. When I had six with them last year they also charged me zero. Whether they are supposed to or not I don't know, but it's certainly better than the $24 I pay for 8 cable cards from FiOS.
Sorry to hear that. I had been frustrated to the point I was considering finally dumping Comcast and moving to Verizon. Maybe I just need to calm down (or expect to pay more).
Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #5400
rick123

Comcast Cable card install in Southern NH - Part 2

Comcast Cable card install in Southern NH - Part 2

Appointment was today. Window from 8-11am. Tech showed up at 9:20am.

Came to door with a Comcast DVR. Thought that was the job... Had no cablecards with him.

Was actually a very nice guy (I find out later that he is a contractor, not a Comcast employee), went to office and was back at about 10am. Had 2 single stream cards (Scientific Atlanta brand). Had told me before he left that Comcast has discontinued supplying or installing Multi stream cards (must be because they can get the extra $1.50 out of you for the second SS).

I had the HD tivo up and running for the week prior to the appointment, so it was set up and had all the software updates. I turned on the tv and brought up the tivo menu. The tech opened up the tivo CC door and popped both cards in at once. I told him what the instructions said (1 at a time) and he told me he had recently been briefed it no longer mattered. He copied the info off one of the tivo CC setup screens and then phoned in the info (CC serial #'s, CC tm #'s, and Host ID #'s) to a Comcast tech rep who activated the cards.

That was it. He flipped thru the channels, I saw some HD stuff as he flipped thru, and when there was no actual picture on a channel the channel number was listed so I figured the cards were working because the tivo would not tune in those channels prior to having the cards installed.

I thanked him and off he went.

I ran thru guided setup again as the instructions said and all went well.

After guided setup I figured I'd enjoy some HD tv. That's when I found that there was a problem. As I investigated using the tivo CC menu to test channels I found that CC 2 was working normally. CC 1 was only receiving the basic network HD channels and a few other random digital channels.

(I guess I was lucky that it was CC 1 that had the problem, if CC 2 was the problem I would not have found out because tivo uses CC 1 for live tv and all would have appeared normal until tivo needed to tune a channel with cc 2).

So back on the phone. I get thru to a tech person who tries to reactivate cc 1. No luck. Not knowing how long this will take, I ask if I can swap the cards around so I can at least have live tv working. She says ok.

That doesn't work, you can't hot swap the cards, neither worked in the other slot...

We left them in the new slots, she called the original tech who was still in the area, and told me he would be returning. He called me about 10 minutes later and I explained what was going on, he said he would call back. He did a few minutes later, said he would be back around 3pm with a new card.

While I waited, I swapped the cards back, and they eventually both reactivated to the original (cc 2 working, cc1 not) state.

When the tech got back to my house around 3:15 he looked thru some other screens and saw that CC 1 was not getting emm's (something like that). He called in to the Comcast tech, who tried some stuff to reactivate CC 1 that didn't work.

While on hold, he told me that Comcast did not provide any real training to him as a contractor and he was learning as he went along, but he had already found that it really mattered who he got when he called Comcast for activation or help, as some of the Comcast reps were much more competent than others.

He eventually moved up the food chain to a different tech rep at Comcast. This one seemed to understand what the issue was, had us go to the tivo CC screen that showed the status of the emm's. Some magic was worked at Comcast, the CC 1 started to get emm's, and presto-chango CC 1 was now working.

That's it, all worked normally after that. My order form says I will be charged $5 for the first card and $1.50 for the second.

Now for the internal HD upgrade, which from what I have read is going to be much easier than those I have performed using mfs tools.

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
TiVo Mini
Comcast Digital Cable, XFinity On Demand
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote