TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #91
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

I finally thought of a good use for this, but I am not sure how accurate it would be.

Currently there is no way to delete a program on the TiVo without being in front of the TiVo(Or through something like slingbox). But now you can do the same thing with this feature, albeit in a very roundabout fashion, and there is a danger that you could delete the wrong item, but it would be possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #92
bicker
Gruff

That's great -- well -- all except for that deleting the wrong item part.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #93
morac
Cat God

Actually I thought of a number of uses for this, but all of them won't work unless you can actually view the results of the commands. At that point you might as well just use a Slingbox.

For example I thought a good idea would be to write a HME application to control one TiVo from another, but you'd be flying blind unless you set up some kind of close circuit feed to display your other TiVo.

So really it's only good for what it was originally designed to do.

BTW does anyone know what emulation it uses? I tried using the telnet command prompt in Windows XP, but the results displayed as gibberish. Hypertrm.exe worked (kind of), but I need to issue a command before I can see any status.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #94
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
BTW does anyone know what emulation it uses? I tried using the telnet command prompt in Windows XP, but the results displayed as gibberish. Hypertrm.exe worked (kind of), but I need to issue a command before I can see any status.
Worked fine for me with putty in RAW mode.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #95
kcl

TC CLUB MEMBER
For this to be able to interface to an external driver (like in CQC), you would like to have some way to acknowledge the receipt of a valid message. From what I'm reading here, there's only a response for an invalid message. Without a validation message, you can't set up any reasonable handshaking within the driver. (For example, if there was an "acknowledge" switch and/or command that you could add to a command, that would do the job nicely.)
Old 05-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #96
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.2

For those who don't have PyGTK, here's a version based on Tkinter, so you only need the basic Python installation. Tested on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows. I've also included the PyGTK version in the archive, slightly trimmed and renamed "remote-gtk.pyw", but with no change in functionality. That's next...

[See sig for the latest version.]

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 02:05 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #97
spiralman

Tivo Search App

I threw together a simple little Python/Tkinter app for doing a "Search By Title."

To run it:
Windows: I think you need to rename tivo-search.py to tivo-search.pyw, then you can double-click it to run (it has to stay in the tivo-search folder, though)
Mac OSX/Linux: in a terminal, cd into tivo-search and run: python tivo-search.py

To Use it:
1) Type in your Tivo's IP address or hostname and click "Connect"
2) Type in the search you want to do and click "search." Listen to that keyboard type away!
3) You can re-search and it'll just clear the keyboard and start over.

Currently the "Disconnect" feature is broken. You'll have to quit and re-run it.

For the Python-literate, I implemented two modules with it: tivo.py (for sending commands to the tivo), and keyboard.py for navigating the On-Screen-Keyboard. I haven't put them in a proper package yet, though.

It's pretty hack-ish. I haven't figured out the KEYBOARD command, so I'm just doing navigation among the on screen keyboard.

The other missing piece is being able to figure out if you're on the "TiVo Central" page or not. If you are, sending an IRCODE/TELEPORT TIVO command takes you to the Now Playing, which you don't want. So, instead I send it to LiveTV first, and then back to Tivo Central, before navigating the menus.

Enjoy,
Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip tivo-search-0.1.zip (2.5 KB, 113 views)
spiralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #98
pzand

Anyone marry this up with the "Now Playing" info that's available over http/https from TiVo yet?

https://<ip>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying
username: tivo
password: <your MAK>
pzand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #99
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralman View Post
3) You can re-search and it'll just clear the keyboard and start over.
You could speed this up by sending IRCODE CLEAR instead of navigating to CLR and selecting it.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #100
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzand View Post
Anyone marry this up with the "Now Playing" info that's available over http/https from TiVo yet?

https://<ip>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying
username: tivo
password: <your MAK>
I have a shorter line:

https://<tivo's IP>/nowplaying/index.html
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #101
Mr Markus

On the ideas for using the Telnet connection control, this would work well for any Sling type device so you can see your selections.

But, for those without a Sling, a simpler purpose is for remote power downs. The menu system selections shouldn't be changing (as compared to the NowPlaying list).

Any place with killer storms, it would give you the piece of mind your harddrives won't crash due to a power outage. Then when you get home from work, you can unplug your priceless TiVo if you don't trust your battery backup with surge protection.

Sure you might miss some recordings, but that's a small price for the piece of mind you TiVo is safe.

BTW, I didn't get it right using NetCat (nc) but PuTTy in RAW mode works just fine.
Mr Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #102
quango

You can't power down a TiVo without physically disconnecting the power supply; "standby mode" just switches off the video and audio outputs on the device, but otherwise it's "on" and potentially recording all the time.
quango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #103
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralman View Post
The other missing piece is being able to figure out if you're on the "TiVo Central" page or not. If you are, sending an IRCODE/TELEPORT TIVO command takes you to the Now Playing, which you don't want. So, instead I send it to LiveTV first, and then back to Tivo Central, before navigating the menus.

Enjoy,
Thomas
I ran that while watching live tv and ending up in my To Do list. I heard it trying to enter characters but the screen was on Please Wait

Tried a second time after manually getting to the Search by Title page and then back to live tv so it would cached anything neccessary. Got to the ouija board and input AKKAHHA. The search term I had input was MISSISSIPPI. K and H are in the same relative positions to each other as S and P. So somewhere it got confused about where it was.

A third try with HOCKEY for the search term worked nicely.

Another try with MISSISSIPPI didn't even make it to the ouija board.

Tried using it while the ouija board was already on screen and it poked out MISSISSIPPI nicely.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #104
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I have a shorter line:

https://<tivo's IP>/nowplaying/index.html
That's formatted html. The longer URL requests XML, which is better for machine processing.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #105
spiralman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post
Tried a second time after manually getting to the Search by Title page and then back to live tv so it would cached anything neccessary. Got to the ouija board and input AKKAHHA. The search term I had input was MISSISSIPPI. K and H are in the same relative positions to each other as S and P. So somewhere it got confused about where it was.
Inside tivo-search.py you'll find a line like "self.menusleeptime = 2", you can change that to a bigger number (it's in seconds, and you can do reals, like 2.5, etc). That's the amount of time it waits after going to LiveTV and the TiVo screen, and it sounds like yours might take a bit longer to show up than mine.

The keyboard module tries to remember where it left off when you do another search, but it sounds like, since you're doing things manually, it's getting a little lost. A safe bet is to put it back on "A," but that won't always work.

I forgot/didn't see the IRCODE CLEAR command, so, when i switch to using that, it should be a little more forgiving.

Thanks for the feedback,
Thomas
Old 05-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #106
spiralman

Tivo Search 0.2

I did a little tweaking, switching the clear to use the IRCODE CLEAR command, and I added a "Reset" button. If, after you do a search, you navigate at all on the TiVo remote, you can click "reset" in the search window and then re-search and it'll start over from the beginning (going to livetv, then tivo, etc).

With the new IRCODE CLEAR command, it should be possible to re-search without hitting "reset" as long as you're still on the search page, but I haven't tested that very thoroughly.

--Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip tivo-search-0.2.zip (6.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #107
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.3

This version combines the PyGTK and Tkinter versions -- it will first try Gtk, then fall back to Tk. If you have Gtk installed but prefer to use a Tk interface, give the "--force-tk" option on the command line (or, you could edit it to set use_gtk to False).

Any other command-line option will now be interpreted as the IP address to connect to, overriding the default.

The status messages from the TiVo are now shown at the bottom.

Finally, I had the positions of "Clear" and "Enter" swapped. Also, I've now labelled the TIVO button "TiVo" instead of "Menu".

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #108
snedecor

What about this sequence?

Has anyone tried....

UP
UP
DOWN
DOWN
LEFT
RIGHT
LEFT
RIGHT
A
B
SELECT
START

I tried it, but all I got was infinite lives????
snedecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #109
Omikron

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedecor View Post
Has anyone tried....

UP
UP
DOWN
DOWN
LEFT
RIGHT
LEFT
RIGHT
A
B
SELECT
START

Maybe you didn't do it fast enough. If you do it really fast you get free Lifetime on the box. ;-)
Omikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #110
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Gee, I thought maybe it was a easter egg code to get unlimited ammunition or 999 free lives in Doom.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #111
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedecor View Post
Has anyone tried....

UP
UP
DOWN
DOWN
LEFT
RIGHT
LEFT
RIGHT
A
B
SELECT
START

Try doing B, then A (and leave out SELECT).
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #112
duckfin

iPhone/iPod Touch TiVo Remote

I made a quick and dirty (and I stress dirty) little program that lets you control your TiVo with your iPhone. Now if you lose your remote, someone can call it for you.
(I can also post the source if anyone is interested.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip tivoRemote.zip (54.2 KB, 103 views)
duckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #113
jeffcox65
Rabid HD Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
This version combines the PyGTK and Tkinter versions -- it will first try Gtk, then fall back to Tk. If you have Gtk installed but prefer to use a Tk interface, give the "--force-tk" option on the command line (or, you could edit it to set use_gtk to False).

Any other command-line option will now be interpreted as the IP address to connect to, overriding the default.

The status messages from the TiVo are now shown at the bottom.

Finally, I had the positions of "Clear" and "Enter" swapped. Also, I've now labelled the TIVO button "TiVo" instead of "Menu".

This is awesome!! Thank you!!
jeffcox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #114
jeffcox65
Rabid HD Junkie

iPhone as TiVo remote? cool! but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfin View Post
I made a quick and dirty (and I stress dirty) little program that lets you control your TiVo with your iPhone. Now if you lose your remote, someone can call it for you.
(I can also post the source if anyone is interested.)
Okay, this is exactly what I want -- this will be so awesome when I can get it to work.

But how do i get this .zip file working? My iPhone is jailbroken -- I've got the app in /Applications, but it doesn't show up as an icon and I can't get it to run.

What am I missing?
jeffcox65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #115
duckfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcox65 View Post
Okay, this is exactly what I want -- this will be so awesome when I can get it to work.

But how do i get this .zip file working? My iPhone is jailbroken -- I've got the app in /Applications, but it doesn't show up as an icon and I can't get it to run.

What am I missing?
Did you kill the SpringBoard process (or reboot the phone)?
Make sure that the /Application/TiVoRemote.app/TiVoRemote file is executable (chmod 755 /Applications/TiVoRemote.app/TiVoRemote).
Old 05-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #116
MurrayW
Murray

Any chance of getting this to work on a hacked series 2 DirecTiVo?
MurrayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #117
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.4

Now it gets more interesting. This version includes a "CC" button for closed caption toggling. It's not 100% reliable, but maybe 95%. I also added SPS30S (30-second skip toggle) and SPS9S (clock toggle) buttons to fill out the row.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #118
duckfin

iPhone Remote

I've created a google code page for the iPhone TiVo Remote program.

http://tivoremote.googlecode.com

It has the source, and will have any newer versions.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #119
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfin View Post
It has the source, and will have any newer versions.
Cool. I don't have an iPhone, but I can always read the source.

I found a small problem in TiVoConnection.m:

sprintf(buffer, "IRCODE %s\r\n", cmd);

The TiVo only wants a '\r' -- the '\n' will just make it send back "COMMAND TIMEOUT" messages.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #120
duckfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Cool. I don't have an iPhone, but I can always read the source.

I found a small problem in TiVoConnection.m:

sprintf(buffer, "IRCODE %s\r\n", cmd);

The TiVo only wants a '\r' -- the '\n' will just make it send back "COMMAND TIMEOUT" messages.
Thanks!

(I guess if I looked at what the TiVo was sending back I would have noticed that. Shame on me.)

It is updated.