Series1 DirecTV Unit 15 3.39%
Series2 DirecTV SD Unit 212 47.96%
Series2 DirecTV HD Unit 90 20.36%
Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #421
Trekker182

I entered the line export TIVOSH_POOLSIZE = 16777216 into my tivoweb.cfg file and I accessed tivoweb from school today and it didn't time out once. (Well, once when I was accessing HiGuide, but I don' really use that anyways.) The rest of the screens, including a few channel grids with 200-300 entries, loaded fine. (abit they loaded slow, but consider the shared connection at my school.)

From what I've read, the line increases tivoweb's cache to 16 megs.
Trekker182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #422
Porterx

zipper and gotomydvr

zipper and gotomydvr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I installed zipper, I answered that I did want to intall gotomydvr. I've tried to get gotomydvr working but keep getting the unit disconnected message. The network is up and seems to be working otherwise.

Is there something that I should do to the tivo before I can use gotomydvr?

At the gotomydvr site I've entered my service id #. I got it from the system information page. I used the line that said Service ID: and then the #. Is this correct.

Should I be running a telnet session? If so, what would I input there?

Also, one search turned up that I should use port 5400. Should I?

Thanks,
Porter
PTVNet & Zippered
Xterasys XN-121 USB adapter
Porterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #423
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Have you tried the suggestions that are on the first page of the thread?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #424
texster

Works With 9.1

FYI, gotomoydvr works flawlessly with 9.1.

You still need the to use the "http_get" available in the second post of this thread.

Specs that may or may not be relevant:
model 240a
enhanced
superpatched
TWP 2.0

FWIW, neither the slicer nor the enhancement script worked with regard to gotomydvr. I have a very early version (1.3?) of slicer so that may been fixed in later releases. I Don't know why it wouldnt have been installed in Russ's script. (When I "grep"ed, it only returned one-line - something about root)

But more importantly, the "manual" install worked without a hitch.
texster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #425
tony4pres

Ok, I'm a newbie at this so please be gentle.LOL

I've went to gotomydvr.com and signed up. I need to install the code to my TiVo with telnet or Tera Term Pro. My problem is when I use either program to install the code I can't type anything in the box once connected. I know my ip of the TiVo is 192.168.0.103 and my port is 80. So when I use the two programs it says connected but for some reason I'm not able to type anything. It has a blinking curser but can't type anything. I'm running a wireless keyboard and mouse but have never had any problems with it at all so I would say it's not the keyboard. Just wondering if telnet or tear term are programs that won't recognize the wireless keyboard. The mouse works fine. I know this may not make any sense but for the life of me I can't figure out why it won't work. I've been reading about 5 to 6 hours today on how to do this and havenít heard anyone else having this problem. I'm running xp and have a series 2 TiVo with dual tuners. It's not a direct TV TiVo if that makes a difference.

Like I said before, I'm new to this and have only started researching it today.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
tony4pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #426
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4pres View Post
Ok, I'm a newbie at this so please be gentle.LOL

I've went to gotomydvr.com and signed up. I need to install the code to my TiVo with telnet or Tera Term Pro. My problem is when I use either program to install the code I can't type anything in the box once connected. I know my ip of the TiVo is 192.168.0.103 and my port is 80. So when I use the two programs it says connected but for some reason I'm not able to type anything. It has a blinking curser but can't type anything. I'm running a wireless keyboard and mouse but have never had any problems with it at all so I would say it's not the keyboard. Just wondering if telnet or tear term are programs that won't recognize the wireless keyboard. The mouse works fine. I know this may not make any sense but for the life of me I can't figure out why it won't work. I've been reading about 5 to 6 hours today on how to do this and havenít heard anyone else having this problem. I'm running xp and have a series 2 TiVo with dual tuners. It's not a direct TV TiVo if that makes a difference.

Like I said before, I'm new to this and have only started researching it today.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
I can't really comment on your PC issues, however I'm curious about whether your TiVo actually meets the requirements in the first place. Are you certain that you have telnet/ftp and TiVoWebPlus actually running on your TiVo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #427
ForrestB

If you have TivoWebPlus running on your Tivo, just enter your Tivo's IP address into your computer's web browser - you should see the TivoWebPlus main page.
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #428
tony4pres

That's just it. Don't I need telnet to install the TiVoWebPlus on my TiVo? I'm sorry if I sound like a noob but I really did try to get it up and running for close to 6 hours Sunday. When I type in the IP address of the TiVo I get a tiVo welcome page telling me I've successfully networked my TiVo. If you need a screen shot of anything I'm doing let me know. I would be really grateful to anyone that can help me out. I'm going to try re reading everything tonight to try it again. I hate it when something stumps me.Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #429
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
That's just it. Don't I need telnet to install the TiVoWebPlus on my TiVo? I'm sorry if I sound like a noob but I really did try to get it up and running for close to 6 hours Sunday. When I type in the IP address of the TiVo I get a tiVo welcome page telling me I've successfully networked my TiVo. If you need a screen shot of anything I'm doing let me know. I would be really grateful to anyone that can help me out. I'm going to try re reading everything tonight to try it again. I hate it when something stumps me.Thanks for the replies guys.
It depends on how you do it; please review the very first post of this thread, however - in order to use gotomydvr, you will need a networked TiVo already running telnet/ftp and TiVoWebPlus. If you don't have those bits taken care of, you'll need to do a bit more research and hacking before you can use the tools discussed in this thread.

Again, I apologize if you already have those things installed and are still 'stumped' but you never confirmed or denied my original question to you...

Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #430
tony4pres

Ok,let me see if I can answer some questions first.

I have a series 2 DT digital video recoreder. that's what it reads on the front and it also has a model number on the back which reads TCD649080. My Tivo is hard wired through the intergrated network card to my dlink router which is a DI 614. I'm able to access the Tivo through tivo desktop. To me it's all greek and honestly I want to read as much as I can before asking questions so I don't wear out my welcome around here.

From what I'm gathering I have to open up Telnet to paste the code from the second post of this thread. Once I do that I go to gotomydvr.com and register my tivo. I guess the code I enter in with telnet makes it able to use the tivo web plus which is how I access my tivo from the web.

Please tell me I have some grasp on what I'm suppose to be doping? LOL

My problem is I've never used telnet before and not sure how it's used. Once I type in my ip address of the tivo and the port it says connected in the lower left corner of telnet but I'm not allowed to type anything in. I read a post from tall1 that said something about not being able to use telnet until he checked something that said read write to the drive. Not sure what that means but just putting that out there.

When I read the post from other users it seems complicated to me as I know nothing about networking or using telnet to install any codes. I'm just trying my best to do what I read on the first two post from you. Please forgive me for being so unfamiliar with any of this. When I get stumped on something I try to spend the time to figure it out and I'm hoping you'll tolerate me long enough to get this working.

So I'm sure I don't have anything special installed on my tivo as of yet but please let me know what I'm doing wrong or if I need to answer any more questions from you. Also, does my tivo fit the requirements of using your program?

Thanks so much for any info you can give me.

Regards.
Tony
Old 12-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #431
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Ok,let me see if I can answer some questions first.

I have a series 2 DT digital video recoreder. that's what it reads on the front and it also has a model number on the back which reads TCD649080. My Tivo is hard wired through the intergrated network card to my dlink router which is a DI 614. I'm able to access the Tivo through tivo desktop. To me it's all greek and honestly I want to read as much as I can before asking questions so I don't wear out my welcome around here.

From what I'm gathering I have to open up Telnet to paste the code from the second post of this thread. Once I do that I go to gotomydvr.com and register my tivo. I guess the code I enter in with telnet makes it able to use the tivo web plus which is how I access my tivo from the web.

Please tell me I have some grasp on what I'm suppose to be doping? LOL

My problem is I've never used telnet before and not sure how it's used. Once I type in my ip address of the tivo and the port it says connected in the lower left corner of telnet but I'm not allowed to type anything in. I read a post from tall1 that said something about not being able to use telnet until he checked something that said read write to the drive. Not sure what that means but just putting that out there.

When I read the post from other users it seems complicated to me as I know nothing about networking or using telnet to install any codes. I'm just trying my best to do what I read on the first two post from you. Please forgive me for being so unfamiliar with any of this. When I get stumped on something I try to spend the time to figure it out and I'm hoping you'll tolerate me long enough to get this working.

So I'm sure I don't have anything special installed on my tivo as of yet but please let me know what I'm doing wrong or if I need to answer any more questions from you. Also, does my tivo fit the requirements of using your program?

Thanks so much for any info you can give me.

Regards.
Tony
Tony,

I'm sorry, but there is no better way to put this... This is simply the wrong thread for these questions. The topic here is a remote access tool intended for use on systems networked with telnet/ftp and TiVoWebPlus. Getting a TiVo to that point, especially one like yours, is not trivial (you'll need to prom mod your unit to do it) and its just not even close being within the scope of the topic being discussed here.

You'll really need to go back to square one and start reading about how to network/hack your particular unit, which again is not trivial. The upgrade center and the underground playground are great places to start, but this thread is really not the place to learn about that. Again, if you review the very first post, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Lou

Old 01-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #432
eclipsme

Arrow Transfering DTivo to new GoToMyDVR account

I have an account with GoToMyDVR that I can not access. I do not have the password anymore and the account is tied to an email address that is no longer valid. I have created a new account, but I can not add my DTivo to it because it is already associated with my old account.

How do I get this changed?

Thanks,
Harvey
eclipsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #433
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

new gotomydvr client

Based upon some recent feedback (thanks stevel), I took a closer look at stevet's aforementioned contribution and did some testing on my HR10-250 currently running 6.3f. The tweaks, and more importantly, the modified dbclient definitely make a difference as far as the reported high-CPU utilization. I've rolled these changes into a very slightly different version of the client which can be installed as follows:

Code:
http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install-1.2.sh
sh /var/tmp/b_install-1.2.sh
If you are currently running the client, just install this one on top of it. After the reboot, things should come up the same way. Right now, it looks like the client won't start up on its own from the rc.sysinit.author however I'm looking into that and will update, accordingly.

Please have at it and let me know if it works (or doesn't work for you). You may want to review post #1 and post #2 for more complete details.

Lou

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 02-12-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #434
rich47

Segmentation Fault

I'm trying to install gotomydvr on my ptvnetted hdvr2. I'm able to telnet, but when I enter
http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh

I get a "segmentation fault"

I was able to get the unit id and registered it, but when I select it, gotomydvr gives me a message "your unit appears to be disconnected right now"

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
rich47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #435
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich47 View Post
I'm trying to install gotomydvr on my ptvnetted hdvr2. I'm able to telnet, but when I enter

I get a "segmentation fault"

I was able to get the unit id and registered it, but when I select it, gotomydvr gives me a message "your unit appears to be disconnected right now"

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Are you running 6.3 of the OS? If so, did you replace http_get?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #436
rich47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
Are you running 6.3 of the OS? If so, did you replace http_get?
I'm running 6.3e. What do I replace it with? That is, I'm a novice at this, could you give me more detailed, instructions?

Thanks.

Last edited by rich47 : 02-15-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #437
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich47 View Post
I'm running 6.3e. What do I replace it with? That is, I'm a novice at this, could you give me more detailed, instructions?

Thanks.
Please see post #2 of this thread; there is a version of http_get that should work fine with 6.3e.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #438
rich47

Quote:
Please see post #2 of this thread; there is a version of http_get that should work fine with 6.3e.
I used the http_get version you suggested, but now I get the following message when I try to install the client:
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #439
taekwondodo

I just zippered my Tivo and TWP works great - I also signed up for an account at gotomydvr.com, but cannot access my Tivo from there. I am running under the assumption that when I used I-Cake/Zipper that the client installed and all I needed to do was to access the gotomydvr.com site and set up an account... Is this a correct assumption? If so, what are my next troubleshooting steps?

- Jeff
taekwondodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #440
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Based upon some recent feedback (thanks stevel), I took a closer look at stevet's aforementioned contribution and did some testing on my HR10-250 currently running 6.3f. The tweaks, and more importantly, the modified dbclient definitely make a difference as far as the reported high-CPU utilization. I've rolled these changes into a very slightly different version of the client which can be installed as follows:

Code:
If you are currently running the client, just install this one on top of it. After the reboot, things should come up the same way. Right now, it looks like the client won't start up on its own from the rc.sysinit.author however I'm looking into that and will update, accordingly.

Please have at it and let me know if it works (or doesn't work for you). You may want to review post #1 and post #2 for more complete details.

Lou
I recently upgraded per the above on one of my machines and now I am noticing this error repeating over and over again every few seconds.
From the kernel log:
Code:
Mar  1 07:28:07 (none) kernel: Host '68.178.174.173' key accepted unconditionally. 
Mar  1 07:28:07 (none) kernel: (fingerprint md5 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) (I subbed x's for numbers & letters)
Mar  1 07:28:09 (none) kernel: /gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: Warning: failed creating //.ssh: Read-only file system
None of my other boxes show this. Is this any cause for concern other than the kernel log quickly growing in size?
S2DTivo 6.2a Zippered
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #441
DHLarson

Quote:

Code:

Lou
Followed this process for my HR10-250 version 6.3c-01-2-357. As you indicated, the client won't auto-start. Tried manually starting the client and the processes appeared to start properly per PS -AUX. But it still doesn't seem to connect to the server correctly since it comes up as "disconnected". There was a message that said the key was accepted along with an MD5 hash but I couldn't capture it in the scrollback buffer.

Suggestions?

Don
DHLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #442
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLarson View Post
Followed this process for my HR10-250 version 6.3c-01-2-357. As you indicated, the client won't auto-start. Tried manually starting the client and the processes appeared to start properly per PS -AUX. But it still doesn't seem to connect to the server correctly since it comes up as "disconnected". There was a message that said the key was accepted along with an MD5 hash but I couldn't capture it in the scrollback buffer.

Suggestions?

Don
I asked about this in stevet's thread, but he doesn't appear to be around much these days.

I'd recommend you go back to the original client; in spite of the fact that "top" reports the client with relatively high cpu-utilization, I've not been able to show that it impacts normal TiVo performance one bit (it may interfere or compete for cpu cycles with other hacks, though), so no obvious reason not to just let it run as-is.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #443
DHLarson

Quote:
I asked about this in stevet's thread, but he doesn't appear to be around much these days.

I'd recommend you go back to the original client; in spite of the fact that "top" reports the client with relatively high cpu-utilization, I've not been able to show that it impacts normal TiVo performance one bit (it may interfere or compete for cpu cycles with other hacks, though), so no obvious reason not to just let it run as-is.
Update: it finally came up - looks like it was waiting for this loopback process to get established

Quote:
346 0 696 S /gotomydvr/bin/nc -w 5 127.0.0.1 7
which may have been tasked behind a sleep 120 command (I was just too quick I guess.) It worked fine for the duration of the telnet session but the processes died (or were killed) when I closed the session as you indicated they would.

OK, so I went back to the base package but processes were still not auto-starting. Here's what the relevant section in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author looked like after the install process:

Quote:
# Connect to the gotomydvr server:
if [ -f /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr ]; then
echo $gotomydvr_stub
fi
This didn't look right to me and may have been a leftover from the old 3.1.5f slicer build that I used a while ago that didn't get edited in the script right. I also manually removed the gotomydvr_untested subdirectory since I assumed it wasn't needed (per previous note that slicer does this rename and the code was old in the directory) I checked my working 6.2 SDVR-40 unit and found that it was:

Quote:
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
Editted the file on the HR-10, sync'd and rebooted. Works fine. Sorry I missed this in the early troubleshooting. Perhaps the newer package would have worked fine after all but I'll stay here. dbclient is running at 40% of CPU - we'll see if that turns out to be a hassle but, based on your earlier comments, may be irrelevant.

Thanks for the quick reply and the great tool.

Don

Last edited by DHLarson : 03-07-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: UPDATED
Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #444
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLarson View Post
Update: it finally came up - looks like it was waiting for this loopback process to get established

which may have been tasked behind a sleep 120 command (I was just too quick I guess.) It worked fine for the duration of the telnet session but the processes died (or were killed) when I closed the session as you indicated they would.

OK, so I went back to the base package but processes were still not auto-starting. Here's what the relevant section in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author looked like after the install process:

This didn't look right to me and may have been a leftover from the old 3.1.5f slicer build that I used a while ago that didn't get edited in the script right. I also manually removed the gotomydvr_untested subdirectory since I assumed it wasn't needed (per previous note that slicer does this rename and the code was old in the directory) I checked my working 6.2 SDVR-40 unit and found that it was:

Editted the file on the HR-10, sync'd and rebooted. Works fine. Sorry I missed this in the early troubleshooting. Perhaps the newer package would have worked fine after all but I'll stay here. dbclient is running at 40% of CPU - we'll see if that turns out to be a hassle but, based on your earlier comments, may be irrelevant.

Thanks for the quick reply and the great tool.

Don
That stub looks like something that the slicer may have left behind.

Glad you got it working.

I know that one of the issues with the stuff stevel has is that the dropbear stuff isn't setup correcty; ie he doesn't have the encryption key we used when we built the original client. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to rebuild the client with the version he used and our key (we've moved servers and the consultants we hired to originally set all this stuff up for us are long gone) so we are pretty much stuck with the versions we have.

Bigger picture, for those who care, as at one point I had aspirations of commercializing the gotomydvr service with a free-component. We spent a lot of money getting things to the point they are at now, and decided to 'scrap' commercializing it because it had limited appeal, and not enough to warrant spending even more.

If there are any serious developers out there who want to take the build tree and possibly update everything, we can discuss it offline and I'm happy to share, completely unsupported, the client build tree...

Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #445
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan View Post
I recently upgraded per the above on one of my machines and now I am noticing this error repeating over and over again every few seconds.
From the kernel log:
Code:
Mar  1 07:28:07 (none) kernel: Host '68.178.174.173' key accepted unconditionally. 
Mar  1 07:28:07 (none) kernel: (fingerprint md5 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) (I subbed x's for numbers & letters)
Mar  1 07:28:09 (none) kernel: /gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: Warning: failed creating //.ssh: Read-only file system
None of my other boxes show this. Is this any cause for concern other than the kernel log quickly growing in size?
S2DTivo 6.2a Zippered
*Tap, tap, tap* "Is this thing on?"
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #446
DHLarson

SSH read/write errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan View Post
*Tap, tap, tap* "Is this thing on?"
Per tivoupgrade's post:

Quote:
I know that one of the issues with the stuff stevel has is that the dropbear stuff isn't setup correcty; ie he doesn't have the encryption key we used when we built the original client. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to rebuild the client with the version he used and our key (we've moved servers and the consultants we hired to originally set all this stuff up for us are long gone) so we are pretty much stuck with the versions we have.

It appears to me like your problem might be a symptom of this packaging problem. Perhaps you should fall-back to the original code if the high CPU utilization doesn't appear to have any other ill effects and it was working for you.

Don
Old 04-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #447
prenger745

A small gotomydvr problem

I installed this great little tweak yesterday (4/25). It installed without a hitch. But now I am running into the:

"Unit disconnected!

Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later"

I "know" it is running because I can go in directly from TWP and look at hackman that shows it as running. When I stop the service and restart it, it works like a charm and I can access through gotomydvr.com

I know from reading a lot of the posts that this was an issue early on but I never did see a workaround or fix.

Oh yea. Working on Phillips DSR708 running 6.2a

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan
prenger745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #448
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prenger745 View Post
I installed this great little tweak yesterday (4/25). It installed without a hitch. But now I am running into the:

"Unit disconnected!

Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later"

I "know" it is running because I can go in directly from TWP and look at hackman that shows it as running. When I stop the service and restart it, it works like a charm and I can access through gotomydvr.com

I know from reading a lot of the posts that this was an issue early on but I never did see a workaround or fix.

Oh yea. Working on Phillips DSR708 running 6.2a

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

You may need to verify that you installed things properly and that the rc files are starting up the client properly. Its possible that TiVoWebPlus may be telling you the client *should* be running when it isn't.

From a previous post you made on our forums, I was under the impression that you already had one of our networking kits (or used our tools) and if that is the case, the gotomydvr client is installed by default. There is no reason why you couldn't have manually installed the client again, but again, I suggest to ensure that you've installed things properly.

Also, if you are manually STARTING the client from a telnet session, and then exiting the session, that will cause a problem. You should ensure the client is being auto-started in the rc.sysinit.author file (that is how we set it, by default).

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #449
prenger745

Follow Up

Quote:
Dan,

You may need to verify that you installed things properly and that the rc files are starting up the client properly. Its possible that TiVoWebPlus may be telling you the client *should* be running when it isn't.

From a previous post you made on our forums, I was under the impression that you already had one of our networking kits (or used our tools) and if that is the case, the gotomydvr client is installed by default. There is no reason why you couldn't have manually installed the client again, but again, I suggest to ensure that you've installed things properly.

Also, if you are manually STARTING the client from a telnet session, and then exiting the session, that will cause a problem. You should ensure the client is being auto-started in the rc.sysinit.author file (that is how we set it, by default).

Thanks for the reply. From your reply to me on your site: "Also, take a look at GoToMyDVR; PTVnet also installs the client for this on your unit."

Boy I wish I would have read your reply a little more closely! I indeed purchased and used PTVnet (and Instant Cake) but for some reason I decided to make things tougher than they should be and went around searching for how to install the client. I followed the instructions on the 'help' page of gotomydvr.com. (I did it by cut and paste) ie:

4. Now, simply type the following commands into your telnet session; we highly recommend you simply copy and paste them, one at a time, to avoid any errors.

sh /var/tmp/b_install.sh
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &

And regarding 'starting' it...what happens is, for example, I can go into TWP2.0 and click 'hackman'. Once in there it shows Gotomydvr as running but on the gotomydvr.com website I get the 'appears offline' notice. I then click 'STOP' gotomydvr...and then click 'START' gotomydvr. Once I have done that I can connect through the gotomydvr.com website for a period of time. How long, I am not sure but eventually it will give me the 'appears offline' notice again.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Dan
Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #450
prenger745

Redo

I decided to start from scratch so I re-ran PTVnet along with Instant Cake to get a fresh install. I still get the error:

Unit disconnected!

Your Tivo unit appears to be disconnected right now. Try again later.

Yet I am able to go directly to TWP. I am guessing that something is causeing the gotomydvr client to stop running...but its just a guess..

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dan