TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #5341
bizzy

SciFi HD: SF bay area

Well, not surprisingly, I didn't see SciFi HD turned on last night. Anyone else in the bay area getting it yet?

Oops- I just saw http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=6185914
nevermind!
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #5342
wdpower

Well, I'm up and running, window was from 8-11, the tech sowed up at five past nine. Left about nine forty, got my HD HBO, and channels up into the 800's. I did notice that I have SciFiHD and I think the other was home and garden HD, but neither would tune. How do I find out if Comcast in West Palm, FL uses SDV? I would like to see how Stargate Atlantis looks in HD-Geek.

-Bill
wdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #5343
b_scott
TiVo Fan

you don't get SciFi or HGTV with standard or digital starter, in HD.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #5344
wdpower

I signed for additional channels, I get a crap load plus HBO for 15 $. I called Comcast and they said to give it a couple of hours that the tuner/cards may not have all the programing yet. I'll recheck when i get home and call tomorrow if there's an issue. The girl on the phone said they were not using SDV.

BTW, the ones I was missing was the lower 400's of the HD, Discovery, USA, Lifetime, SciFi.

-Bill
Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #5345
a68oliver

Digital Package/Software 9.3a Upgrade

I am on a Comcast (formerly Insight) system fed from Anderson, IN. They have announced new channels effective May 1. I didn't subscribe to any digital package with Insight. However, I had cablecards so I could get the guide data for my local HD channels and that also allowed me to get the digital Music Choice channels.

About April 1, I noticed I was now receiving additional digital channels on cablecard 0, but not on cablecard 1. I called Comcast and they sent two hits to cablecard 1 and nothing happened. I wasn't too worried about it so I didn't do anything. I still don't understand why only one cablecard received the additional channels.

I recently called to ask what digital package I would be migrated to as of May 1. It appears that my account didn't show ANY digital package at all. So I asked to be placed on the Digital Preferred package. That seemed to cover the channels cablecard 0 was receiving. It was also eligible for an introductory 12 month rate of about $10/month. This is a savings of about $5/month. The moment the CSR pressed the button, she asked me to check my TV. I instantly had access to the new package on both cablecards.

Then, later in the day, a funny thing happened. I noticed my S3 was pending a restart and I assumed I had received the 9.3a software. I forced a reset to install the upgrade. It seemed to go off without a hitch.

Then later I noticed extreme breakup, macroblocking, and audio dropouts on one channel. I thought it might be related to the 3:1 mux issue also being discussed. However, it didn't involve HD channels. Further testing revealed that every digital channel was messed up when tuned with one of the two cablecards. So I knew it wasn't a signal related issue.

I tried the universal fix for all things computer related and rebooted the Tivo. That fixed it and all seems to be well.

I just wanted to report it here in case others have any similar issues.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #5346
kwbdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post
you don't get SciFi or HGTV with standard or digital starter, in HD.
I have the digital starter and SciFi HD comes with it.
kwbdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #5347
wdpower

Called comcast. there sending out another hit to my card to see if I can get it up and running. Again I asked about SDV and she had no clue what it was.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #5348
vutng103

New HD Channels - Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbdc View Post
WOOO HOOO!!! 4 days ago I received 6 new HD channels and configured my TiVo to get them working. Just yesterday, TiVo updated their channel listings and now all show listings are populated. You may need to add the new channels in your "Channel List" settings. Below are the Stations and its channels. Hope this helps you out:

SciFi HD - Channel 736
Food HD - Channel 747
Anim HD - Channel 751
TLC HD - Channel 752
CNN HD - Channel 759
AMC HD - Channel 769
Sony Playstation 3 - 80GB
Monster HDMI & Digital Fiber Optic cables
Comcast Digital w/ MS card
vutng103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #5349
btwyx
Substantive Member

Those popped up on my TiVo this morning, fully working with guide data.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #5350
kwbdc

I got these channels as well:

660 UHD
661 MHDTV
662 TNTHD
663 HDT
664 MOJO
665 GOLFFVS
667 APLHD
668 DSCHD
669 TLCHD
670 AETV
671 HSTR
672 USAHD
673 NGCHD
674 HGTVD
675 FOOD
676 SCIFI
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #5351
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
well that's not fair..... i'm in Chicago, i don't know if that matters.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #5352
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Not in my area. Only the local HD stations are available with the digital starter.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #5353
kwbdc

That's strange. It's standard here in Seattle.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #5354
rick123

Anyone with Southern NH Comcast Cablecard experience?

I should have our first Tivo HD tomorrow.

Anyone know if Comcast in Southern NH gives out Cablecards at their local offices? Can I do a self install or will I need a truck to come out? Do I need just one multi-stream card or 2 singles?

Also, general question someone who sees this post may know answer to. I already have Comcast HD service (use a comcast cablebox with built in DVR). The Tivo HD is for a second hdtv we are getting. If I hook up the Tivo HD to the new tv, plug the cable from the wall to the back of the Tivo HD, will I get the HD channels without a cablecard? I guess what I'm asking is do I need a cablecard? We don't get any premium sevices (no HBO, etc), but do have the expanded digital (or something like that).

Hoping I can get an understanding of the issue locally before I call to get specifics.

Thanks,

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
Comcast Digital Cable, no On Demand Service
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #5355
slim1erc

Not sure about the self-install (it was a no for me in SE Mass), but if you don't get a cable card, you will only be able to get broadcast stations in HD (e.g., in the Boston area - WCVB, WHDH, WBZ, WLVI, etc).
slim1erc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #5356
ajny

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1erc View Post
Not sure about the self-install (it was a no for me in SE Mass), but if you don't get a cable card, you will only be able to get broadcast stations in HD (e.g., in the Boston area - WCVB, WHDH, WBZ, WLVI, etc).
Also, the TV guide listings for these local HDTV stations will not be available without the cable card.
ajny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #5357
slim1erc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
Do I need just one multi-stream card or 2 singles?
You only need one multi-stream for the new Tivo HD but be careful. When I scheduled my appointment, I told them I needed one multi-stream. The rep told me "no problem". When the installer arrived, he only brought one single stream and claimed he had never heard of a multi-stream card. I had to reschedule because they don't keep extra cards on hand - what a mess...
slim1erc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #5358
rick123

Thanks for the info!

1 Premiere Elite, Lifetime Sub
1 Premiere, 2TB DVR Dude HD, Lifetime Sub
TiVo Stream
Comcast Digital Cable, no On Demand Service
Wired Network Connections
rick123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #5359
runamonk

Okay so I called comcast ( my local office, not the 800 number ) and asked about the cable cards. I did this on monday morning last week. The person I spoke too knew exactly what I wanted, understood I only needed a MCard and she wrote it on the order. She asked if I would be returning my DVR and I said no, not right away since I wanted to test out the tivo and make sure it works correctly and doesn't have any issues with the cable card installation, I would hate to miss a bunch of shows.

So the appointment was yesterday, I had already run the tivo unit for a day and a half and rebooted it several times and connected it to up tivo and tested it out with recording and such. All worked great!

The installer was here promptly at noon yesterday to install the cards. He brought 8 M-Cards with him and had me select one haha. Stuff the card in, detected. Called Comcast they activated and sent the signal. Everything so far has gone off without a hitch.

Maybe I'm just lucky or most of the installers in this area have had good training but he did a great job and all is working fine today. All HD channels are coming through and looking great just as with my cable box. All my season passes have been created (except for shows that aren't on the air right now).

TiVo has to my favorite purchase so far haha.
runamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #5360
jschaffe

Angry Comcast Cable Card rates

I've been fighting with Comcast for a couple of months over an increase in the 2nd same-outlet CableCard monthly rate from $1.50 to $5.00.

A month ago the phone rep reversed the changes, and today I opened my next bill to find a "Change of Service" fee. So I called, explained the situation, and was told that indeed the new rate was $5.00. After complaining for a while I did a Google search and found this page:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2651

I expect it to be changed, so I took an image of it:

Please let me know if the pricing on the live site changes!

Anyone else getting bilked for their second CableCard?

Jeff
jschaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #5361
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffe View Post
I've been fighting with Comcast for a couple of months over an increase in the 2nd same-outlet CableCard monthly rate from $1.50 to $5.00.

A month ago the phone rep reversed the changes, and today I opened my next bill to find a "Change of Service" fee. So I called, explained the situation, and was told that indeed the new rate was $5.00.
There was a billing error that many of us noticed a couple of months ago. I, too, had to call to get things put back the way they were. My next bill also had a change of service fee, but there was a refund line item directly under it. I would not expect the page you grabbed to change. I would, however, expect Comcast reps to remain woefully uninformed.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #5362
jschaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
There was a billing error that many of us noticed a couple of months ago. I, too, had to call to get things put back the way they were. My next bill also had a change of service fee, but there was a refund line item directly under it. I would not expect the page you grabbed to change. I would, however, expect Comcast reps to remain woefully uninformed.
The first rep I talked with checked with a "Data Integrity Team" member, and reported that the fee is supposed to be $5.00 for a second TiVo CableCard. The second rep reported that he knew the fee was $5.00, and both reported that the order entry system automatically set the price at $5.. when they entered the option; no lower-cost option was available.

We'll see what happens when they "research" it farther.
jschaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #5363
aaronwt
HD Addict

Prices are everywhere with Comcast. They charge me nothing for the two cablecards I have with them. I get charged $24 for the eight cards i have with FIOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #5364
tgenius

Sorry if its been asked before

I'm looking at possibly getting a Tivo HD when we move into our new home (basic cable is included in the HOA)

So in Miami, does one need two Cablecards still (and are 2-way cards even worth it/available?) to record two shows?

I also have a 50 inch Sony RP LCD that has a cablecard slot.

What would I be looking for fees for these? It sucks theres an HD fee per TV (At least with DirecTV its one regardless to the number of receivers!)

2 HD Fees for Tivo HD or one + 1 HD Fee for the Sony RP and then 2 or 3 Cablecards (Which according to Comcast is like 5-6 bucks in miami!)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
tgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #5365
jimbo1mcm

Replacing my Series 1!!!

Just ordered a Series 3 from the Tivo Community store. My carrier is comcast. I have a question about the cable cards. I believe I need 2 M cards. Will I be able to record a program and watch another one at the same time? Thanks.
jimbo1mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #5366
Corran Horn

After a year of no problems, I think something has happened with both my Cable Cards. Neither tuner is able to pick up a signal on any of a half-dozen HD channels, notably ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, and Comcast SportsNet HD. The other 10-12 HD channels I have come in fine. Very strange.

Chatted online with a Comcast agent yesterday, and of course they can do nothing but send a truck on Monday. I'm going to try to call the number the same-day service guy gave me when I did my initial setup. If I can reach the same guy (who was VERY knowledgeable and solved my problem right away, after 3 failed truck rolls) hopefully I can get this taken care of.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #5367
ilh

Did they go SDV?
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #5368
rvsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
Just ordered a Series 3 from the Tivo Community store. My carrier is comcast. I have a question about the cable cards. I believe I need 2 M cards. Will I be able to record a program and watch another one at the same time? Thanks.
You need two S cards or two M cards. Yes you can record one program while watching another one. The more likely scenario, once you get used to the TiVo, is recording two programs while watching a third prerecorded program.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #5369
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffe View Post

A month ago the phone rep reversed the changes, and today I opened my next bill to find a "Change of Service" fee. So I called, explained the situation, and was told that indeed the new rate was $5.00. After complaining for a while I did a Google search and found this page:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2651
Well it says Regulated Prices quoted above may not apply in all markets. Oddly, it also incongruently says In addition to the cost of the digital cable service, you will not be charged a regulated fee of up to $1.99 for the second CableCARD on the additional outlet in addition to the cost of the digital cable service.
Sheesh, what a mess!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #5370
clifburns

Error 161-38

I had an M-Card installed in my TiVo HD today and it is receiving all channels and seems to be functioning with one glitch. Every now and then the signal will drop and I'll get an error screen saying that a "technical problem" is preventing the reception of "all cable channels." It gives an error code 161-38 and says to contact the cable company. This error appears to have killed two scheduled recordings. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to resolve it? I'm assuming it's a defective card and have scheduled a truck roll to replace it.
clifburns is offline   Reply With Quote