TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #121
nickhaas33

Sorry about that. I cleaned a bunch of junk out of there, so it should be down around 128 now.

Also,
I am definitely a rookie when it comes to using this program, but ffmpeg seems to only shrink the mpeg a little.
Case in point, I had a 1.2gb movie and it was about 1.2gb when finished.
Is that normal?
I assume it is using XVID compression?
Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance.
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #122
moyekj

New version just released with some pretty big changes (especially for Windows platform).
------------------
v0.3a (04/09/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Re-implemented Windows systems background process forking to be the same as what is
now used for unix systems. In the new implementation now any errors returned by
background processes are displayed in the kmttg text area.

* Any running background jobs are now killed if kmttg is terminated (previously
still running jobs would continue to run even if kmttg was closed).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #123
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhaas33 View Post
Sorry about that. I cleaned a bunch of junk out of there, so it should be down around 128 now.

Also,
I am definitely a rookie when it comes to using this program, but ffmpeg seems to only shrink the mpeg a little.
Case in point, I had a 1.2gb movie and it was about 1.2gb when finished.
Is that normal?
I assume it is using XVID compression?
Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance.
I assume you are using the default kmttg settings right? If so then note that those ffmpeg settings are particularly suited for encoding from HD recordings at pretty high quality for a Cowon A3 Portable Media Player. I wouldn't expect it to shrink much for SD recordings as you are seeing. For SD mpeg files my Cowon plays them as is, so I don't re-encode those. Only HD mpeg files I re-encode using those settings. For shrinking SD mpegs you will need different settings. At some point I may put together a little menu of pre-defined choices for ffmpeg but for now it's up to you to Google around to find particular settings depending on what your goal is. That's the beauty and the curse of these encoders. They offer ultimate flexibility at the expense of being complex. Note that you can use any command-line encoder you wish, not just ffmpeg.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #124
Berone

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So sounds like ffmegX wasn't meant to work command line...
So what was wrong with mencoder? Can't you just use that? Here's sample mencoder arguments that work for me:
INPUT -ovc xvid -xvidencopts max_bframes=2:bitrate=1600:trellis -vf scale=800:480 -ofps 29.97 -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=0:br=128 -of avi -o OUTPUT
ffmpegx is the front end for ffmpeg on OS X. I was trying to get ffmpeg working since you said that it was a better, faster solution. But that is, of course, not true if I can't get it working. So what about mencoder, which is working in creating the comcut file? This is the error I get:

>> ENCODING TO FILE /volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - Dowisetrepla (Mon-Feb-18-2008 WCBS).avi ...
"/Applications/kmttg/mencoder/mencoder" "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - Dowisetrepla (Mon-Feb-18-2008 WCBS)_cut.mpg" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bframes=2:bitrate=1600:trellis -vf scale=800:480 -ofps 29.97 -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=0:br=128 -of avi -o "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - Dowisetrepla (Mon-Feb-18-2008 WCBS).avi"
*ERROR* encoder failed (exit code: 1) - check above /Applications/kmttg/mencoder/mencoder command
MMX supported but disabled
MMX2 supported but disabled
SSE supported but disabled
SSE2 supported but disabled
Option xvidencopts: Unknown suboption bframes
Error parsing option on the command line: -xvidencopts

Now I recognize that the problem may be that mencoder doesn't want to have anything to do with "How I Met Your Mother", but I got the same result with Doctor Who, so I'm ruling that out. Does this look like the mencode installation is incomplete?

Thanks,
Berone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #125
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berone View Post
ffmpegx is the front end for ffmpeg on OS X. I was trying to get ffmpeg working since you said that it was a better, faster solution. But that is, of course, not true if I can't get it working. So what about mencoder, which is working in creating the comcut file? This is the error I get:

>> ENCODING TO FILE /volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - Dowisetrepla (Mon-Feb-18-2008 WCBS).avi ...
"/Applications/kmttg/mencoder/mencoder" "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - Dowisetrepla (Mon-Feb-18-2008 WCBS)_cut.mpg" -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bframes=2:bitrate=1600:trellis -vf scale=800:480 -ofps 29.97 -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=0:br=128 -of avi -o "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - Dowisetrepla (Mon-Feb-18-2008 WCBS).avi"
*ERROR* encoder failed (exit code: 1) - check above /Applications/kmttg/mencoder/mencoder command
MMX supported but disabled
MMX2 supported but disabled
SSE supported but disabled
SSE2 supported but disabled

Now I recognize that the problem may be that mencoder doesn't want to have anything to do with "How I Met Your Mother", but I got the same result with Doctor Who, so I'm ruling that out. Does this look like the mencode installation is incomplete?

Thanks,
The error seems pretty evident to me in the error message:

Note that the correct option is max_bframes not bframes as you currently have it.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #126
Berone

It would help if I could cut and paste between the OS X operating system and X11. Since I can't I have to retype everything, so user error creeps in. It occurs to me that I'm better off editing the config.ini file directly! I'll have to try that. I have a file encoding now - I'll see how it comes out. I finally found a list of the syntax for mencoder, but it assumes the reader has far more knowledge than I have, so it's going to take some work translating it so I understand what I'm looking at. Is there a "video encoding for dummies" somewhere?

Anyway, if the file I'm working on encodes properly I will have run the whole kmttg process on OS X and I'll be able to put together an instruction set for getting that working:

"Hi, I'm a Mac"
"I'm a PC. Hey, Mac - I understand you're trying to get files from your Tivo so you can watch them on your ipod."
"That's right, PC. As you know, I'm built on a very powerful UNIX system that is way beyond the understanding of the average user that came to me because I'm easier to use and everything just works. So all you have to do is learn a lot of arcane commands and install 10 or 12 different packages from the command line and hope that they work. But don't forget to install the OS X system software that's not installed by default but will be necessary to get any of this to work".
"Wow. On Windows you can pick one of a long list of applications, some commercial and some free (like the excellent KMTTG from Kevin Moye) which you install and they just work."
"Really? Even the only officially supported commercial application for OS X doesn't work properly."
"Well don't worry, Mac. You can always boot into Windows to do your file transfers".
Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #127
moyekj

Quote:
It would help if I could cut and paste between the OS X operating system and X11. Since I can't I have to retype everything, so user error creeps in. It occurs to me that I'm better off editing the config.ini file directly! I'll have to try that. I have a file encoding now - I'll see how it comes out. I finally found a list of the syntax for mencoder, but it assumes the reader has far more knowledge than I have, so it's going to take some work translating it so I understand what I'm looking at. Is there a "video encoding for dummies" somewhere?
Note that for the Windows tools distribution (kmttg_win32_tools.zip) there is a man_page.html file in the "mencoder" folder which has a lot of the syntax details. That's how I figured out how to translate my ffmpeg settings to equivalent mencoder settings. That in combination with Google is what I have used to setup encoder settings for both ffmpeg & mencoder. Note that you probably do not want to use those specific settings I gave you for general purpose encoding - they are specific for my Cowon player. For example, a resolution of 800x480 is unorthodox (that's my Cowon resolution) and you will want to change at least that to something more standard such as 720x480 or 640x480.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #128
Berone

I'm just using your settings for test purposes. Once the system works I can tweak it to my needs. That, I'm sure, will encompass a whole new set of error messages but at least I'll know that they're syntax errors and not program ones. Meanwhile I've been encoding a 1 hour show for 2 hours, 39 minutes and counting. I'm interested to see how the resultant file looks, but I'm not sure this can be scored in the win column.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #129
moyekj

Quote:
I'm just using your settings for test purposes. Once the system works I can tweak it to my needs. That, I'm sure, will encompass a whole new set of error messages but at least I'll know that they're syntax errors and not program ones. Meanwhile I've been encoding a 1 hour show for 2 hours, 39 minutes and counting. I'm interested to see how the resultant file looks, but I'm not sure this can be scored in the win column.

Thanks,
Anthony
From my brief experience with mencoder it was a heck of a lot slower than ffmpeg to do the same encoding which is why I prefer ffmpeg. But hey, at least you have it running.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #130
Berone

4 hours 53 minutes and counting. I'm thinking mencoder is kind of slow. In the past hour of it's encoding process I've reinstalled ffmpegx and processed the file there. It then proceeded to not play in any player that I have. So I tried in Nero. Finally I got a useful error message: "An error occurred in DirectShow. It aborted for no good reason." That I can work with! I still don't have a file I can watch on my ipod, but I know it's for no good reason! 5 hours and counting...
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #131
LarryAtHome

I have just tried your program today and am very pleased with it. I did run into one small anomally. When I transfer the recording
Happy Days - And the Winner Is ...
I get the TiVo file (as I should)
Happy Days - And the Winner Is ..._Thu_Apr_10.TiVo
But the Mpeg is only named
Happy Days - And the Winner Is .mpg
The rest of the transfers I have tried do have the date in the mpg file.
LarryAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #132
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAtHome View Post
I have just tried your program today and am very pleased with it. I did run into one small anomally. When I transfer the recording
Happy Days - And the Winner Is ...
I get the TiVo file (as I should)
Happy Days - And the Winner Is ..._Thu_Apr_10.TiVo
But the Mpeg is only named
Happy Days - And the Winner Is .mpg
The rest of the transfers I have tried do have the date in the mpg file.
Thanks for reporting that issue. It will be fixed in tonight's release.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #133
msmart

Quote:
I'm thinking mencoder is kind of slow.
Berone, have you considered using Handbrake for doing the encoding? It was mentioned in post #10 in this thread.

I use it on my WinXP PC to encode video into iPod format and does so rather quickly. It has a Mac version. Something to consider at least.

Here's my Handbrake command line:

"[path]hbcli.exe" -i [input file] -o [output file] -e x264b30 -E faac -w 320 -b 384 -r25 -x keyint=300:keyint-min=30:bframes=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=384:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:subme=6:no-fast-pskip=1 -B 160 -R 48

Last edited by msmart : 04-10-2008 at 08:00 PM.
msmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #134
Berone

I'll take a look at Handbrake. Mencoder is currently at 9 hrs, 24 min. And counting.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #135
moyekj

New version just released. If someone with a lot of recorded shows (> 128) can test and confirm that kmttg can now display all of them I would appreciate it. I don't have many saved shows on my Tivos so I had to do some faked out testing for that feature with a much smaller sample of shows.

------------------
v0.3b (04/10/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Implemented multiple reads from the Tivo server for cases when the Now Playing List
exceeds the max number of items the server can return at a time (128). So now there should
be no limit on number of Now Playing List shows that can be displayed in kmttg.

BUG FIX:
* Fix to file naming convention for files with additional '.' characters before the file extension.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #136
msmart

Quote:
I'll take a look at Handbrake. Mencoder is currently at 9 hrs, 24 min. And counting.
OUCH!! That's not good. For me, HB encodes at about 36 fps on average, so slightly faster than realtime. An hour show takes roughly 50 minutes, give or take. YMMV.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #137
nickhaas33

Thanks!

Thanks for putting in that fix for nowplaying lists > 128.
This is especially helpful to people who have bigger than stock Tivo hard drives.

Any chance in getting a housekeeping option added to delete interim files.
The .TIVO file is pretty much useless after tivodecode converts it to MPG.

Also, will TK allow you to click on a column header to sort.
Like instead of sorting by descending recording date, you could click on Name, and it would sort by name.

Thanks again, this program is wonderful!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #138
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks for putting in that fix for nowplaying lists > 128.
This is especially helpful to people who have bigger than stock Tivo hard drives.

Any chance in getting a housekeeping option added to delete interim files.
The .TIVO file is pretty much useless after tivodecode converts it to MPG.

Also, will TK allow you to click on a column header to sort.
Like instead of sorting by descending recording date, you could click on Name, and it would sort by name.

Thanks again, this program is wonderful!
On the sorting options you must have read my mind since I'm already working on adding that capability. I've got the sorting functions written, now I just need to add the GUI portion which is the harder part.
For the housecleaning, that request has come up before. I'm a little paranoid and prefer to delete files myself, especially ones that take a long time to download, but I'll add an optional setting that can be turned on in the configuration to delete .TiVo files after conversion to .mpg completes successfully.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #139
Berone

Mencoder completed the file at 13 hours 6 minutes! Avi file is recognized and plays. Unfortunately the audio is out of sync, making the file unwatchable.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #140
nickhaas33

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
On the sorting options you must have read my mind since I'm already working on adding that capability. I've got the sorting functions written, now I just need to add the GUI portion which is the harder part.
For the housecleaning, that request has come up before. I'm a little paranoid and prefer to delete files myself, especially ones that take a long time to download, but I'll add an optional setting that can be turned on in the configuration to delete .TiVo files after conversion to .mpg completes successfully.
Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #141
moyekj

New version just released.

------------------
v0.3c (04/11/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added sorting capability to Now Playing List shows. By clicking on list headers you can
now sort by earliest/latest date first, smallest/biggest file size first or
alphabetically/reverse alphabetically by show name.

* Added configuration option that can be enabled to delete .TiVo files automatically
following successful decryption to .mpg

Old 04-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #142
nickhaas33

Sorting works Great.
Thanks very much!
You need to take a day off now

Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #143
Rdian06

Quote:
Well, 6 1/2 hours later and I still can't get ffmpeg working. I got ffmpegX to work just fine, but the object of the exercise is to do everything with one interface. I tried using the ffmpegX install within kmttg, since it's a working install, but this is the error that I got:
Anthony,

Did you have problems getting ffmpeg installed on Mac OS X or the command line working?
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #144
moyekj

New version just released. I think I'll take a break on updates for now.
------------------
v0.3d (04/12/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added Tivo show expiration graphics as 1st column of Now Playing List. Added a CHANNEL column indicating channel number and name for the show. Just as with other column headers you can sort shows by expiration or channel # by clicking on the list header buttons.

BUG FIX:
* File cleanup following comskip was not working - that has been fixed.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #145
Berone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Anthony,

Did you have problems getting ffmpeg installed on Mac OS X or the command line working?
I had no problem getting it installed. I never got it to work, though.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #146
moyekj

Got 9.3a Tivo software on my S3s today and I just confirmed that kmttg works fine as is with no changes needed.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #147
nickhaas33

I know this is not a ffmpeg forum, but I really want to get this thing automated like you did for your cowan player.

I looked at the ffmpeg documentation here:
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html

I have played around with your default options, but I cannot get it to work right.
Some of the options you are using are not even in the documentation.
For instance -trell and -max_bframes.
I have tried the -vcodec mpeg4 and it does not work, even in conjuction with -vtag divx or -vtag xvid.
If you can give me some pointers that would be great (or point me to a place that has parameters and examples that work with ffmpeg).
Thanks for such a wonderful front-end tool.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #148
moyekj

New version just released with capability of creating pyTivo compatible metadata file.
------------------
v0.3e (04/19/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added option to create a pyTivo compatible metadata file. This allows one to save the
detailed descriptions about a show such that if you serve the show back to your Tivos
using pyTivo server you can see the detailed information in show description.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #149
moyekj

Quote:
I know this is not a ffmpeg forum, but I really want to get this thing automated like you did for your cowan player.

I looked at the ffmpeg documentation here:
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html

I have played around with your default options, but I cannot get it to work right.
Some of the options you are using are not even in the documentation.
For instance -trell and -max_bframes.
I have tried the -vcodec mpeg4 and it does not work, even in conjuction with -vtag divx or -vtag xvid.
If you can give me some pointers that would be great (or point me to a place that has parameters and examples that work with ffmpeg).
Thanks for such a wonderful front-end tool.
Send me (email or PM) what options you are trying that aren't working and what your target device and format are and perhaps I can help. I'm considering perhaps in a future release creating a menu of pre-defined choices for ffmpeg in the configuration GUI for the most common encodings to make this easier to start from known good templates.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #150
satmaster

Can you make the comskip work with TMPGEnc.

But heres the deal since TMPGenc and VideoReDo can load a tivo file direct and edit it and output unencoded video yuo dont really need a decode program do you?

I did use VideoReDo Plus but thast a paid program.