TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #3151
cdeckert219
technogeek

Thumbs up 2nd TiVo HD CC Success

I contacted TWC San Diego (and was forwarded to their contractor) to install an M-Card in my 2nd TiVoHD. The support rep knew exactly what I was talking about...he's had a TiVo for years. Tech showed up with an M-card and had it installed in about 2 minutes. He wrote down the requisite numbers and warned me that he'd had trouble getting anyone to answer back at the office all day. He asked if it was okay to leave and call me back as soon as he successfully connected. I agreed. He called back about an hour later and said everything should be fine. I checked it out and everything is working fine (I'm getting all the channels that I'm supposed to be getting).

Update to what I reported earlier--I now receive both DiscoveryHD and HistoryHD on both boxes. It doesn't list any programming info for these channels, though. Go figure!
Series 2 TCD540040 refurb w/300gb
cdeckert219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #3152
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
In Waukesha, WI I just got done with a cable card install. The tech was only able to get a single stream card in slot 1 working. He had 2 other cards but couldn't get either to work in slot 2. Disappointing but they're sending another tech out friday so hopefully they can finish their job this time.
Do you know if you had a s-card or a m-card installed?
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #3153
MicahG

I'm in Huntington Beach, CA (Orange County)

I have 2 technicians here and they are trying to install 2 M-cards on my TivoHD box. I put the Tivo Instructions in front of the both of them read to them and even showed them that we only need 1 M-card. Will it even work with 2 M-cards?? I'll give you an update when they are done...so maybe you'll hear from me in a week or so ;o)

(Contracted tech's who don't speak english very well)
MicahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #3154
ksboy21

Time Warner Cable in Kansas City

Time Warner in KC has informed me that throughout the rest of the year, I will continue to see programming drop off from my cablecards as they no longer support cable card technology in this area. They refuse to service their cable cards, and they will not give any support when I have cable card issues. They said that on Feburary 1st, 2009, I must give back all my cable cards and go with their boxes, or I will not receive any programming.
ksboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #3155
spolebitski

Why on feb 1st 2009 will you have to give up your cable cards ... does this mandate from the fcc expire in 2009
Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #3156
MicahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahG View Post
I'm in Huntington Beach, CA (Orange County)

I have 2 technicians here and they are trying to install 2 M-cards on my TivoHD box. I put the Tivo Instructions in front of the both of them read to them and even showed them that we only need 1 M-card. Will it even work with 2 M-cards?? I'll give you an update when they are done...so maybe you'll hear from me in a week or so ;o)

(Contracted tech's who don't speak english very well)
So here's my update. 1.5 hours. The dude decided to give up on trying to get the 2nd M-card to work. So he just left the 1st one in haha. I've restarted the box and went through the Setup Guide again. When I was done, however, it said I needed to go through the Setup Guide AGAIN. I decided to check out what stations I got, and I think I am missing some. I am now going through the Setup Guide again. Maybe I'll try a reset? I checked out a couple local HD channels and I wasn't impressed, so I'm hoping that it wasn't actually HD feed. We'll see if I end up needing to call another tech out or not.

Would they let me reauthorize the M-card since I have it in the box?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #3157
MicahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
When your channels pop up and shows the cable card id, it means your card is not paired. Is charlotte using SA or Moto? If it's SA, check the CP screen and see if it says "Waiting for CP Auth" by the cp status. If so, your card is not paired. If it says "CP Auth Received", you aren't subscribed to the particular package that channel is on. This might not be your fault, but a call to the cable co is needed either way.
Cableguy,

Is it possible to get the card paired over the phone by yourself? I've called TW twice and now they want to roll another truck. I checked my CP status and it says "Waiting for CP Auth"

All the local channels work but not TNTHD, ESPNHD, etc.

I'd rather not have to wait on another truck...

UPDATE: So i've checked some other settings and I was getting EMM's at first, but now it's at 0. CP Info - i'm still at "Waiting for CP Auth" but my Verify Key Status is "OK." The other thing I kind of wonder is, there are 2 numbers on my M-card (SA). I found out only one of them is in the system at TW. I wonder if the tech called in the wrong number? Anyone else have a SA m-card?

Last edited by MicahG : 04-16-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #3158
cableguy763

It sounds like they do not have your card paired correctly. Technically, this should not require a truck roll. You have all the parts necessary to get your cards working. I cannot speak for your area, but try giving tech support a call with your host id and cable card id ready.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #3159
MicahG

hey cableguy,

Ya, I've called the tech support around 4 times and I think they are tired of me calling. =\
I've double checked all the info with them and they have it all down. There's 2 numbers on my M-card and they only have one of them in the system, I tried to talk them into trying to switch the number, but they said then they'd need to get me a whole new card. They've got a truck scheduled for friday morn. sigh... Any ideas on what I might be able to say or do tomorrow? or should i just wait it out...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #3160
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahG View Post
hey cableguy,

Ya, I've called the tech support around 4 times and I think they are tired of me calling. =\
I've double checked all the info with them and they have it all down. There's 2 numbers on my M-card and they only have one of them in the system, I tried to talk them into trying to switch the number, but they said then they'd need to get me a whole new card. They've got a truck scheduled for friday morn. sigh... Any ideas on what I might be able to say or do tomorrow? or should i just wait it out...
I think you are just going to have to wait it out . This time, do not let them leave until all of your channels are working.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #3161
realityboy

Can anyone in the Dayton area confirm that they can receive 722 (abc), 745 (fox), 746 (mytv), and/or 125 (fox reality)with a cablecard? I had a fourth tech out today, and he says that these have been changed to SDV. I don't want to believe him since I can get 722, 745, and 746 just fine if I hook the line to my tv without a cablecard. Also, why would it take 4 attempts before they told me this? These are heavily watched channels so it wouldn't make sense to change it, and also someone else would surely have noticed.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #3162
Brainuser

SE Wisconsin install today. Came late. I had asked for someone experienced in TiVo. The guy had never installed TiVo. I asked for M-Cards. He didn't know what I was talking about. End result. 4 hours of my day wasted and no TiVo yet. They are returning on Saturday.

By the way. How do you tell the difference between an S card and an M Card?
Brainuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #3163
SER71

When you insert the card into the slot it will say on your TV screen which type of card has been inserted.
SER71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #3164
TracerBullet

Argh, this is really frustrating. I've been losing channels for a day here, two days there. I thought they were back again, but this morning they were gone AGAIN. I'm not doing anything- whenever I decide to call, I check first, and the channels are back.

TWC NYC is getting ready to roll out a bunch of new HD channels at the end of the month- could this just be them changing stuff around? It's really driving me insane.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #3165
59er
TiVotee

TracerBullet, I haven't been having any problems with TWC in Manhattan.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #3166
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainuser View Post
SE Wisconsin install today. Came late. I had asked for someone experienced in TiVo. The guy had never installed TiVo. I asked for M-Cards. He didn't know what I was talking about. End result. 4 hours of my day wasted and no TiVo yet. They are returning on Saturday.

My appointment is for wednesday ... i hope the techs in se wi will have an understanding of installing the cards into the tivo hd ... got my tivo hd today ran guided setup got it all ready ... think i'm off to get an hd ota attenna to see what channels
Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #3167
spolebitski

I was told today that TWC SE WI did not support m-cards but the engineers are working on this to solve the problem so they can "offer the best possible service to all their customers"
Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #3168
bobrt6676

TWC Dayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
Can anyone in the Dayton area confirm that they can receive 722 (abc), 745 (fox), 746 (mytv), and/or 125 (fox reality)with a cablecard? I had a fourth tech out today, and he says that these have been changed to SDV. I don't want to believe him since I can get 722, 745, and 746 just fine if I hook the line to my tv without a cablecard. Also, why would it take 4 attempts before they told me this? These are heavily watched channels so it wouldn't make sense to change it, and also someone else would surely have noticed.
I have 2 S-Cards in a TivoHD in the Dayton market. I receive 722,745 (local HD channels) that TWC brags about local HD for free. I also receive 746 and 125. Also, I receive 751,752,754,755,756,757,760,762,763,764,765,and the new 768.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #3169
realityboy

Thank You! I've tried to tell them that I should be getting these channels. I can get all the others you list including the new 768 just not 722, 745, 746, or 125. Those first three are broadcast stations and very unlikely to be SDV. Also coincidentally, I work for Sinclair broadcasting which broadcasts abc22/fox45 and mytv dayton so I can get practically every channel y'know except for the 3 I work at.

Does anyone think it could be a signal problem or does it have to be a remapping problem? I can receive these with the QAM tuner in the Tivo if I take out the cablecards. Are the cablecards more sensitive to signal strength than the QAM tuner?

I had 2 s-cards which worked fine for a year or so then they swapped those for 2 more s-cards. Same problem. So now, I have 2 m-cards. So I don't think the problem lies with the cards.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #3170
gamo62

Just get new cards. and if you have a TivoHD, then get 1 M card.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #3171
realityboy

This is the 3rd set of cards...and it is a series 3 so 2 m-cards.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #3172
MicahG

Second truck rolled up, this time it's an actual Time Warner guy! Who...is a jerk. The first thing he said was, "So you like paying more money?"

He at least seems like he knows what he's doing. The only bummer is, he rebooted the tivo box, and now it saying it's preparing the service update which could take up to an hour, possibly longer... bah.

He did call in the host id and cable card number, but it sounds like they might have been switched?

I'm almost tempted to tell him to leave, because he doesn't even want to be here, and he has a 3-hour wire job he has to do next.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #3173
eolson

In Milwaukee. Have the infamous "Updating firmware card 1" endless loop on TiVo 3 since 9am or so in the morning (it's now 11pm.) Time-Warner says reboot... then take cards to store... store orders truck roll.

On the TiVo side, TiVo has a poor interface around CableCard. It does not let you read the diagnostic messages (black screen with CC text) undisturbed. Once in "Guided Setup" Tivo likes to suddenly take over and go back to infinite "Updating firmware" loop while you are reading a CC message.

About once per hour, the update would quit and I would get 30 seconds of TV (HD channel or other.) Then the update would take over again. It's not doing that now though, since I took the cards out to take to the store and put them back in.

Was running ok for 1 year on 2 SA cards dated 2005 and 2006.

I have had below-minimum signal strength on Internet for 3 weeks - wonder if it's related to the download difficulty.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #3174
TracerBullet

My cablecards keep losing authorization (I think). Every time I call to get a hit on the cards or the channels come back on their own (which happens), within 24 hours, I lose most channels again. It's almost as though Time Warner is sending my cablecards authorization to only display the most basic cable package available, and it's incredibly aggravating.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 AM   #3175
robojerk

Quote:
Dear XXXXXXX,

We know how excited you get whenever you watch your favorite show or movie in high definition. That's why we are constantly adding MORE and MORE HD channels to your lineup.

You'll enjoy more of your favorite sports, kids' shows, movies and special interest channels in high-definition. You also get HD On Demand, so you can watch your shows and movies in high-definition whenever you choose.

Time Warner Cable is the Home of FREE HD programming. We give you access to FREE local and sports channels in HD with no equipment to buy. Get ready to watch Food HD, HGTV HD, CNN HD, History HD, Discovery HD and MORE COMING SOON.

We will continue to update you as we add more HD channels. The list will keep on growing.

It's a pleasure to keep our commitment to you in delivering the best in entertainment to your home.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Time Warner Cable
So ughhh, will my Tivo get these channels or am I still waiting in vain for a dongle?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #3176
Effinay

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
Thank You! I've tried to tell them that I should be getting these channels. I can get all the others you list including the new 768 just not 722, 745, 746, or 125. Those first three are broadcast stations and very unlikely to be SDV. Also coincidentally, I work for Sinclair broadcasting which broadcasts abc22/fox45 and mytv dayton so I can get practically every channel y'know except for the 3 I work at.

Does anyone think it could be a signal problem or does it have to be a remapping problem? I can receive these with the QAM tuner in the Tivo if I take out the cablecards. Are the cablecards more sensitive to signal strength than the QAM tuner?

I had 2 s-cards which worked fine for a year or so then they swapped those for 2 more s-cards. Same problem. So now, I have 2 m-cards. So I don't think the problem lies with the cards.
realityboy: I talked to a CSR at TW in Dayton and the lady told me that only the Spanish channels have been swithched to SDV so far in our area.

Did you have any issues with the cablecard installation when you first set up your TiVO? To start, they only brought one s-card. My cablecard sat there for over 6 hours yesterday doing a "Firmware upgrade." It never completed, and the 2 installers left (after being 4 hours late) before the installation was done. I gave up and pulled out the CC so I could at least watch regular cable.

I called customer service and they told me to just go to their Dayton Mall location and get a new cablecard. Well, I drove out there only to learn that they do not give customers the cablecards... ever. The guy behind the desk was kind of rude and gave me a look like I was stupid for even asking. They are sending another truck next week.

I just switched from DirecTV. The only reason was so that I could get HD programming and still use TiVo. I'm starting to think this was a bad decision, and may just give up on TiVo AND TimeWarner.
Effinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #3177
realityboy

No the initial installation went well. This actually happened when they merged their system with Cincinnati's. After much wasted time calling and getting techs that had no idea what the problem was, I did finally end up getting a lead tech that knew about this problem. The problem is with the cablecard mapping of these channels in my area, and the engineers are working on it although they have no estimation on when it will be finished. He wants me to check back in with him in a few weeks to see if any progress has been made.

I thought about switching to Directv and almost did it before I realized that I didn't have a phone line to plug into the receiver. For now, I picked up an outdoor antenna from Radio Shack to pull in the locals that I can not get from TW. If you live close enough, you probably will want to have an antenna for at least a few of the locals. Time Warner in Dayton does not offer either NBC (WDTN) or CW (WBDT) in HD at all.

However assuming you do not have the same issues I have here, the cablecards seem to work nicely. Mine worked for over a year before any problems at all. While the tech was here on Monday, he called another tech who had done a successful install in a TivoHD, and they had no problems with these channels so good luck.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #3178
spolebitski

Finally the day arrived for the "truck roll" install ... tech arrives not really knowing to do ... in his defense his job basically was to call twc with the cablecard numbers and host id number. He was unsure about installing these into a TiVo HD ... was told that these are to go into the tv.

1st card worked with id numbers, 2nd card did not work
then
2nd card worked with id number, 1st card did not work (witched slots)
then
both cards worked
then
1st card authorized, 2nd card does not say that it is authorized

problem is that 1st cable card will receive, from what I can tell all the HD channels. 2nd cable card will not pick up the "hd package" (above your "free" hd channels they provide, may be different market to market).

Getting to be quitting time, 5:00 PM - Tech says it is up and running (I have mentioned that cable card does not say it is authorized. The tech said the channels are working it's not a subscription issue and I should contact TWC. So I call the number on the screen ... only to stay on the phone for 20 minutes ... was told that this is not a subscription issue but a cable card issue and a tech would need to be dispatched ... frustrating that the tech was out the door as fast as he could.

The tech did mention that an issue might be that i do not have a hd package, when I told the tech I did, the tech said well they did not authorize the hd package on the 2nd cable card

so question ... sounds like this might a way to double charge me for 2 hd packages (one on each cable card) ... anyone who has tivo hd and 2 cable cards are you double charged for the "hd package"?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #3179
Brainuser

Well, the Time Warner technicians (2 of them) came out to install the cable cards in my SE Wisconsin (Waukesha) TiVo HD. As others have experienced, Cable Card 1 is authorized and gets channels (including the HD channels), Cable Card 2 (both are S Cards) does not authorize and gets no channels. The TW guys went back and forth with HQ and the card seems to be paired at their end. We rebooted 5 times, but the card would not pair. We switched cards and repaired them, and the card in slot 1 worked, but the card in slot 2 would not authorize. TW is flummoxed and spoke to the TiVo tech by phone. The TiVo people say it is a cable issue. the cable guys can't figure out what more they can do. They think that since they switched cards and the card in slot 2 never works, that it somehow must be a hardware problem. TiVo swears that it is not, but cannot offer up an explanation why the switched card would work.
If It doesn't connect by tomorrow, it gets moved up to a Tier 3 Tech. I was told in this case, TW would call TiVo and work out the problem.
Brainuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #3180
aktick

Sounds like pricing is different from area to area? I'm getting my brother an HDTV and probably an HD Tivo to replace his S2 Tivo, and wondering if it's worth getting cable cards...he's in Oshkosh, WI, and he has the basic non-digital Time Warner cable package now. Is there just a basic package he can get to keep his current base package and just add HD locals or something like that? How much would the most basic HD deal generally cost for cable cards?

I've never dealt with Time Warner and know it's always been a hassle for him in the past, just trying to see what the options are before I throw this new TV and Tivo on him. Thanks for any help.
aktick is offline   Reply With Quote