TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
stream

Thumbs up New Comcast SF Bay Area HD Channels Comming

I noticed on my THD that there were a few new HD channels appearing in the program guide, but I couldn't tune them in, so I called Comcast and they said that the following new HD channels will be available starting April 15 in the SF bay area (peninsula):

736 SciFi HD
747 Food HD
751 Animal Planet HD
752 The Learning Channel HD
759 CNN HD
769 AMC HD
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
jlib
Lean Forward

Nice! Now if they would just stop there...
Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
jbrasure

Ahhhh SciFiHD. It's time for Battlestar in HD!
jbrasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
holmete
Gadget Guru

Thumbs up HD Tuesday aka April 15th....

I posted about finding the same channels the other day. I confirmed with a Comcast rep today the same go live date. She also said that they published the program guide prematurely and that the channel numbers could change. She saw that I just downgraded my service to Digital Starter and said that I will still get all of the new channels!!!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...light=Scifi+HD
holmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
wublet
total newb

Anybody else on Comcast Oakland seeing a "Comcastic!" lineup change in channels 5xx?

Because it's not limited to HD channels, I put some details in this longer post over in the General forum:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=390562
wublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
wublet
total newb

Resolved my issue

Resolved my issue by going through "Specify Channels I Receive", which put all the channels back in the right place. I assume the S3's channel map must have become corrupted at some point, though I don't know why, and expect I never will.

One detail, just in case it's relevant to anyone with a similar issue in future: the S3's internet connection had failed at some point recently, maybe when I did a Software Update on our Apple AirPort Extreme (the S3 is Ethernet-cabled into an AirPort Express which bridges wirelessly to the AirPort Extreme which is Ethernet-cabled into the DSL modem). I had to power-cycle the AirPort Express to reconnect it to the AirPort Extreme before "Specify Channels I Receive" could complete. I don't know whether the lack of an internet connection contributed to the corruption of the channel map or not.
wublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
holmete
Gadget Guru

Exclamation Today’s the day!!!

So far I have everything except for SciFi HD… Animal Planet is on 862 (guide info no picture) but I am watching it on 751 which says to be announced. I guess they are still working out the bugs.
holmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmete View Post
So far I have everything except for SciFi HD… Animal Planet is on 862 (guide info no picture) but I am watching it on 751 which says to be announced. I guess they are still working out the bugs.
862 would be a bug with Tribune, TiVo's guide provider, not Comcast, so it isn't clear that Comcast aware of that at all. Comcast clearly is sending it out on 751 and as long as their guide data provider has it right, they probably won't be looking any deeper at 3rd party problems.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

I got all the channels here in San Jose 95125, but the info hasn't shown up in the guide yet.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmete View Post
Maybe someone just shifted one number over when they were typing 751 into the computer.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
holmete
Gadget Guru

Question No Guide Info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post
I got all the channels here in San Jose 95125, but the info hasn't shown up in the guide yet.
Wow...no guide information??? I had the guide information the same day I saw the channels including Animal Planet HD even though it was mapped to the wrong channel.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
shady
We have chickens!

Mine is totally screwed up.
I see all the channels in the guide, but now I can't get channels that I used to get.
702, 705, 725 and 737 no longer work.
Even non hd channels 3, 6, 10 and 16 are broken (and probably more)
and 406 and 408 are unwatchable (pixilated)

phoning Crapcast now:

Update:
We spent 30 mins rebooting, sending signals, taking out cable cards, re-pairing etc.
No luck, in fact it's even worse now, because the conditional access screen shows the cards are not paired!!!

Last edited by shady : 04-16-2008 at 01:49 AM.
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Update:
We spent 30 mins rebooting, sending signals, taking out cable cards, re-pairing etc.
No luck, in fact it's even worse now, because the conditional access screen shows the cards are not paired!!!
For your debugging, I would concentrate on 702/705. It should be easier to isolate them because they aren't encrypted, so broken pairing on your CableCARD won't affect them and if you have a QAM TV nearby you can have a second data source.

Usually if you can't get 702/705 it isn't a CableCARD problem. There are some CableCARD issues that could cause a problem with them, but they are more rare.

Try looking at the Diagnostic screens for frequency, signal strength, and error rates.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
For your debugging, I would concentrate on 702/705. It should be easier to isolate them because they aren't encrypted, so broken pairing on your CableCARD won't affect them and if you have a QAM TV nearby you can have a second data source.

Usually if you can't get 702/705 it isn't a CableCARD problem. There are some CableCARD issues that could cause a problem with them, but they are more rare.

Try looking at the Diagnostic screens for frequency, signal strength, and error rates.
Thanks, I'll do that tonight. They are sending out a technician on Thursday, but I'll gather as much information as I can beforehand.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
sammydee

I also got the new HD channels in 95119, but with no guide information.

The picture quality was...OK but not great. I spent some time switching back and forth between Food and Food HD. The picture on Food HD was MUCH better than on Food, but certainly nowhere near as good as, say, NBC HD on 704. Medium-Def at best. When I first started watching Food HD, I thought, "this isn't HD", but when I flipped to Food I could see that in fact Food HD was a bit better.

One thing that struck me was that the commercials on Food HD looked quite a bit better than the show I was watching - so I wonder if some of the issue isn't at Comcast's end, but rather was at Food Network's end?

I was also rather annoyed to see that on many of the new "HD" channels there was low-def content playing, or even worse 4:3 content that someone had bizarrely decided to stretch out to 16:9. When I tune to a channel and see that they are playing stretched 4:3, I ALWAYS immediately tune out, as I find it unwatchable. (I'm talking about YOU, National Geographic HD.) Maybe I'm alone in this.

Finally, my daughter reports that several channels she likes to watch on our other Tivo HD have disappeared in the last day or two. Discovery Kids is one she mentioned; she says she gets a black screen when she tunes to it. Not sure if it's gone forever, or if it's moving around as part of this remapping and will reappear soon. Has anyone else seen this?

...Sam
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #16
faerie

Sweet!! They're finally up and running. I just was able to tune into SCIHD and am now watching FOODTVHD. I am a very happy camper.
faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
jlib
Lean Forward

Monterey has the new channels (had to manually add them to "Channels I Receive") but, as usual, no guide data or infomational messages yet.

Last edited by jlib : 04-17-2008 at 01:07 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #18
Poochie

I also have the new channels, yay! I have expanded basic + digital classic, and they all came in just fine once I selected them in the channel list. I'm in 94086 / Sunnyvale and was upgraded to 1GHz in early January.

However, the guide information is completely devoid of any info. Not only is the program schedule missing, the station identifiers themselves all appear as "????". I didn't receive a "lineup changed" style message in my Messages either, I just looked for these channels since I knew they might be showing up.

Does anyone know if the missing-station-identifiers thing will resolve itself, or do I need to do something w/Comcast and/or the TiVo to straighten that out?
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
VivaLasVegas
STeVo HD

When Comcast added the latest new channels in the Boston area (SciFiHD and AnimalPlanetHD), there was a day-or-so lag between the new channels appearing and the guide-data showing info.
VivaLasVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerie View Post
Sweet!! They're finally up and running. I just was able to tune into SCIHD and am now watching FOODTVHD. I am a very happy camper.
You'll think it's sweet until you see the rampant frame-dropping when you're trying to enjoy new episodes of Battlestar Galactica. They seem to have cleaned up a lot of the pixelation issues, but they can't shake the frame-dropping.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
and was upgraded to 1GHz in early January.
Just out of interest, what does that mean?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #22
Poochie

Shady, this refers to the bandwidth of the cable system.

Many of us in the Bay Area were in older "550MHz" systems - which resulted in us having fewer channels than neighboring systems that were previously upgraded (to 750MHz or 860MHz).

Some are still in 550MHz systems - Comcast is still in the process of these upgrades. Folks in those systems would be quite unlikely to get these new channels until after their systems get upgraded. I pointed this 1GHz thing out to indicate I was not amongst those folks - some in Sunnyvale still are.

The actual value refers to the highest frequency used/supported in the cable infrastructure. And if I recall correctly, our equipment (QAM tuners in the TiVo or various other STBs/TV QAM tuners) really max out at 860MHz, but I could be wrong on this point or this might be changing with newer models - I'm not an expert here.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
Peter Miller
6th member of SG-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLasVegas View Post
When Comcast added the latest new channels in the Boston area (SciFiHD and AnimalPlanetHD), there was a day-or-so lag between the new channels appearing and the guide-data showing info.
Been two days and the new channels still are not in the guida data. Really annoying.
Peter Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
shady
We have chickens!

Poochie,
Thanks for the explanation.

My problem is now completely solved. The technician just left.

The other day, after they tried sending signals to the cards, the cards were left unauthorized, however the next day when I looked, both cards were Authorized and the host validation was set to Valid (something that they had never been before) however, the problem was still there.

The technician arrived, and I explained the problem, and he played around for a bit swapping out splitters in the garage etc. He then tested the signal strength and he said

"Wow, it's not surprising this thing (pointing to Tivo) doesn't work, you have a signal strength of 16, it's supposed to be between 3 and 4.

He spend some time bringing down the signal strength, but to no avail, then eventually he said he would have to send a maintenance man round to lower the signal from the pole. Nothing will work properly until that's done. I asked how come it worked up until now, but he chose to ignore that one.

Just before he left I just happened to say "This room is fed from a spliltter on the other side of that wall." He raced into the other room, and sure enough, there was a splitter with an open end. He put the cap on the open end and everything is working now INCLUDING I get my Encore Channels (ok, the wife's Encore channels) that I've already had 3 phone calls in the past to fix and they never could.

So before he left I asked, How about the high signal strength problem. To which he answered "Oh, don't worry about that, it doesn't matter if the signal strength is too high"

Anyway, I'm happy now, the wife is happy now and the cats can go back to watching sunrise earth in the mornings!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #25
jaredmwright

I can confirm that I received many new channels as well and a few extra not listed in the first post. I live in the 94531 Zip code which is the East Bay Antioch area.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #26
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Miller View Post
Been two days and the new channels still are not in the guide data. Really annoying.
Same here - wasn't there in San Jose last night. I submitted a lineup update ticket.
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #27
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

I'm in SJ 95125, submitted tickets on Tue am after seeing the signals go live. I still haven't seen the new channel info yet as of last night.
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
Old 04-19-2008, 01:53 AM   #28
jbrasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
You'll think it's sweet until you see the rampant frame-dropping when you're trying to enjoy new episodes of Battlestar Galactica. They seem to have cleaned up a lot of the pixelation issues, but they can't shake the frame-dropping.
Dang. I just watched Battlestar in HD, and the compression was terrible. There was a lot of pixelating during fast action and during scene changes. If Comcast has to compress the heck out of stuff in order to get more HD channels, then I'll eventually consider switching to DirecTV.

Oh wait, I can't stand DirecTV's DVR. Uggh, now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do I want my Tivo and a crappy Comcast picture, or a good picture from DirecTV and a crappy DVR. Wah!
jbrasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #29
bizzy

Just checked last night (while BSG was recording in SD, doh!) and we're now getting SciFi HD on 736 in SF.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #30
zalusky

Well in Cupertino BSG wasn't pixelating but it wasn't UHD quality either it was as mentioned before DVD quality.

When are going to get guide data. Arrgh. I don't remember it ever taking this long.