TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
britdiver

SDV Adapter Progress

The post on Tivo's website about the "tuning adapter" was released about Aug 2007 and it states "Tuning Adapter that will enable switched digital channels to be viewed on your TiVo DVR is due out later this year". It's now April 2008. It seems that this might kill off Tivo completely if they don't have a good fix.

I have looked at several threads on this and I didn't see any recent posts.

Anyone (TivoPony?) have any news on this. I will certainly not be buying another Tivo until this is fixed.
britdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
blacknoi

I'd love to know too as of tomorrow, I'm losing 15 HD channels to Cablevision's decision to implement SDV on the Voom channels (which I LOVE dearly, believe it or not..).

C'mon Tivo, throw us a bone.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
acvthree

Could Tivo even provide this information? I thought it was dependent on each cable company. Do people think that it will be available on a single release date from all cable TV providers?

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
Could Tivo even provide this information? I thought it was dependent on each cable company. Do people think that it will be available on a single release date from all cable TV providers?

Al
Bingo. At this point since the specs are already in place (Tivo probably had a helping hand in that phase) it's really up to cable box manufacturers first to make the hardware available, then up to your local cable headend to order and make available to customers. Unfortunately I don't see much of a business incentive for the manufacturers or cable companies to get these out quickly (if at all). Hopefully since Tivo has a relationship with Comcast and Cox perhaps they have enough leverage to make it happen eventually, but who knows when... It's already too late for some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
madneon

Something I found on the web

http://www.lightreading.com/document...nancialContent And the info is actually from THIS year...
madneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
ASW

At least things seem to be moving forward . . .

http://www.opencable.com/downloads/oc_interop_0408.pdf

I have 2 S3s and a LCD panel with a cablecard that will be losing 15 VOOM stations today. Thanks for moving to SDV (just?) before having a cablecard solution Cablevision.
ASW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Gene S

My wish would be to have one in time for the Olympics. I can't watch UniversalHD without it.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Am I the only one who had some blind faith this might get out Q2 and is suddenly getting very pessimistic about our prospects?
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
spolebitski

who is going to provide the adapter ... tivo or the cable company? I'm sure if it is the cable company they are going to stall as long as they can to provide the worst service for the small percentage of people who choose to use the tivo or an alternative dvr.

the cable companies think that because so many people use their dvr it must be the better device
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
britdiver

I posted a couple of messages on the official Tivo forums a few days ago. One was a follow up to a thread about this issue but it hadn't had a post since Sept 2007, and I also started a completely new thread. Not one single reply to either. Amazing. I'm thinking this could slowly kill off Tivo but seems to be flying under the radar. As you say if it ends up being in the hands of the cable companies why would they bother rushing. If Tivo (and cable cards) won't show all channels in the near future, we will have no choice but to go crawling back to the crappy cable company dvr. Tivo needs to be pushing this issue hard and be in control of it. Their the only ones that really have a vested interest in getting this running. Tivo may lead in dvr technology but they really really suck at customer relations. They never give any news about anything (GSOD issue and whether 9.3 has solved it, for example). Also the fact that you can't even email them! To be selling machines and certainly lifetime subscriptions and not be telling people that they may not be able to see all of the channels they pay for, is verging on criminal. Is Tivo about to become the new Betamax?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
mattack

see the other thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=390965
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
mattack

"Official Tivo forums"?? Huh?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
ASW

I believe the following may have been posted by Tivo in response to postcards recently sent to Cablevision cablecard customers (other than me) who were offered one non-DVR HD box free for one year if they turn in their cablecard(s) in order to continue to receive 15 VOOM HD channels.

I would be surprised if the tuning adapter is not available pretty close to end of Q2 '08, but who knows.

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...s_content.html

Last edited by ASW : 04-17-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spolebitski View Post
who is going to provide the adapter ... tivo or the cable company?
The cable company.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #15
brettatk
If I Only Knew

So let's think about this now. You are waiting for the Cable Companies to come up with a solution that will enable you to keep using Tivo's DVR instead of the their own. Am I the only one that thinks this isnt likely to happen unless they are forced by the FCC?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW View Post
I would be surprised if the tuning adapter is not available pretty close to end of Q2 '08, but who knows.

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...s_content.html
I hope you like surprises.

I can´t wait for the threads debating what constitutes the definition of availability...
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
So let's think about this now. You are waiting for the Cable Companies to come up with a solution that will enable you to keep using Tivo's DVR instead of the their own. Am I the only one that thinks this isnt likely to happen unless they are forced by the FCC?

I'm sure your aren't the only one, but the one thing that the cable companies want almost as much as people using only their inferior hardware for everything is people using their services. If it makes sense for the Cable Co's financially to provide the SDV adapter they will. If 100 people with Cable Cards all dropped service because they couldn't get the stations they want anymore at $60 a month for Basic (the real number is probably higher), that is $6000 a month that they are no longer taking in. Let your wallet do the talking. I dropped cable in the early 90's in favor of Satellite (first a big dish later DirecTv) and only recently came back. The reason I left was prices. The reason I came back is pricing was nearly the same and I wanted to keep Tivo as a DVR for HD. 15 years at $60 is over $10,000 times 100 people...

With cable cards users being a very small minority (a couple of hundred maybe for each company for each area?) when they finally put everything (or everything they can) on SDV and a CC can't resolve anything, people will either break down and get their equipment or find another way to get the content they want. The other ways might not be as easy record directly from the Cable Company, but they aren't difficult either. Economically, right now if I turned off BHN I would save $90 a month. I can get almost everything I want to watch from OTA or Unbox and still save money. What I cant get is Jon Stewert and Colbert. If I got them from Itunes I just about break even. The price difference is a "convenience fee", for me anyway. Take away that and I am gone.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
britdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The help forums on Tivo's on support part of their website.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #19
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yes...

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp?WT.svl=nav

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post
I hope you like surprises.

I can´t wait for the threads debating what constitutes the definition of availability...
You too.

http://connectedhome2go.com/2008/04/...elabs-interop/
Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #21
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I hope it's true. I'm sure eventually my cable provider will move to using SDV.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #22
Krandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
I'm sure your aren't the only one, but the one thing that the cable companies want almost as much as people using only their inferior hardware for everything is people using their services. If it makes sense for the Cable Co's financially to provide the SDV adapter they will. If 100 people with Cable Cards all dropped service because they couldn't get the stations they want anymore at $60 a month for Basic (the real number is probably higher), that is $6000 a month that they are no longer taking in. Let your wallet do the talking. I dropped cable in the early 90's in favor of Satellite (first a big dish later DirecTv) and only recently came back. The reason I left was prices. The reason I came back is pricing was nearly the same and I wanted to keep Tivo as a DVR for HD. 15 years at $60 is over $10,000 times 100 people...
Bingo. I currently have Cable because I love my TiVo and the features it provides even though I hate some of the things the cable company is doing like HD-Lite. If I get to the point where my TiVo is not useful anymore and I am going to have to get somebody else's DVR then I am going to look very seriously at satellite because of the higher availablity of HD channels without the HD-Lite junk.

I know the cable companies need SDV to be able to approach the number of HD channels that satellite currently has without the HD-Lite stuff, but they need to provide me an option for my TiVo if they want me to stay as a customer. If Tivo stops working I'll probably go satellite.
Krandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #23
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
Bingo. I currently have Cable because I love my TiVo and the features it provides even though I hate some of the things the cable company is doing like HD-Lite. If I get to the point where my TiVo is not useful anymore and I am going to have to get somebody else's DVR then I am going to look very seriously at satellite because of the higher availablity of HD channels without the HD-Lite junk.

I know the cable companies need SDV to be able to approach the number of HD channels that satellite currently has without the HD-Lite stuff, but they need to provide me an option for my TiVo if they want me to stay as a customer. If Tivo stops working I'll probably go satellite.
Satellite is re-compressing all HD into MPEG-4. On a screen of any significant size (like 80"+) the quality reduction is very clear.

You can't do that kind of transcoding and keep the picture pristine.

At this point, only FiOS will be able to maintain full HD quality on all HD channels.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
Krandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
Satellite is re-compressing all HD into MPEG-4. On a screen of any significant size (like 80"+) the quality reduction is very clear.

You can't do that kind of transcoding and keep the picture pristine.

At this point, only FiOS will be able to maintain full HD quality on all HD channels.
I'm not at 80"+. I am at 58". The problem with the HD-Lite is that with any decent action sequence it pixelates horribly. Some things I can deal with, but the whole screen pixelating on action sequences is very bad. I almost gave up watching Stargate Atlantis on HD because the problem was so bad. It isn't even something that requires an eagle eye viewer with a big screen to see - the issues on HD-Lite are easily seen on any size screen.
Krandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
I'm not at 80"+. I am at 58". The problem with the HD-Lite is that with any decent action sequence it pixelates horribly. Some things I can deal with, but the whole screen pixelating on action sequences is very bad. I almost gave up watching Stargate Atlantis on HD because the problem was so bad. It isn't even something that requires an eagle eye viewer with a big screen to see - the issues on HD-Lite are easily seen on any size screen.
Well the HD-Lite term was coined based on what D* and E* have been doing for years with HD feeds, so going to satellite doesn't resolve your problem. Also as mentioned because of the transcoding to mpeg4 from mpeg2 feeds that's another hit on quality.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #26
Bodie

In case no one's been paying attention, the cable and satellite companies are not nearly as concerned with keeping existing customers as they are with getting new ones. An SDV dongle would be available tomorrow if they thought it would get them new customers. Until then, there's a 50% chance that we'll ever see it.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #27
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
In case no one's been paying attention, the cable and satellite companies are not nearly as concerned with keeping existing customers as they are with getting new ones. An SDV dongle would be available tomorrow if they thought it would get them new customers. Until then, there's a 50% chance that we'll ever see it.
And thats fine by me about half of what I enjoy watching is available OTA for free.Most of the "Cable Shows" are available via unbox, Itunes, or DVD. For $50 a month (basic cable cost - $12 for Tivo) you can get a whole lot of stuff via these "alternate sources". More than I actually watch. Honestly, If my wife didn't have to watch "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" EVERY day (4x/week) at $2 a pop each I would be doing this right now. Our viewing habits have us right about at the break even point. Like I said, for us its a convenience thing. Last time I left cable it took 15 years to get me back. About the only thing I would miss is Monday Night Football. What I really wish is that FIOS would startup in my area. But thats more for internet speed.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #28
wildjoe

Quote:
And thats fine by me about half of what I enjoy watching is available OTA for free.Most of the "Cable Shows" are available via unbox, Itunes, or DVD. For $50 a month (basic cable cost - $12 for Tivo) you can get a whole lot of stuff via these "alternate sources". More than I actually watch. Honestly, If my wife didn't have to watch "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" EVERY day (4x/week) at $2 a pop each I would be doing this right now. Our viewing habits have us right about at the break even point. Like I said, for us its a convenience thing. Last time I left cable it took 15 years to get me back. About the only thing I would miss is Monday Night Football. What I really wish is that FIOS would startup in my area. But thats more for internet speed.
You know you can get the Daily Show from iTunes for $10 for 16 episodes (essentially a month's worth), right? (Same for Colbert.) So you could be paying only $20/month for both.

Also, if you don't mind watching from your PC, you can watch for free on thedailyshow.com and colbertnation.com (there are a few ads, but much less than broadcast).
wildjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #29
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjoe View Post
You know you can get the Daily Show from iTunes for $10 for 16 episodes (essentially a month's worth), right? (Same for Colbert.) So you could be paying only $20/month for both.

Also, if you don't mind watching from your PC, you can watch for free on thedailyshow.com and colbertnation.com (there are a few ads, but much less than broadcast).
I thought it was 16 for $20, Anyway in general they are about $2 a show and it made casual discussion a bit easier. I'll have to double check now. I'll have to give it more consideration, do more math, and maybe push the issue with the wife if savings get above $20 or so a month. Ease of use is important for my wife, so I'll pay up to that to avoid the headache when a show doesn't automagically transfer properly.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #30
wildjoe

Quote:
I thought it was 16 for $20, Anyway in general they are about $2 a show and it made casual discussion a bit easier. I'll have to double check now. I'll have to give it more consideration, do more math, and maybe push the issue with the wife if savings get above $20 or so a month. Ease of use is important for my wife, so I'll pay up to that to avoid the headache when a show doesn't automagically transfer properly.
Nope, it's $10 for 16 episodes. 62 cents an episode. Gotta love that.

I still have my basic cable though for two reasons: 1) live sports on ESPN and FSN, 2) so my old S2 in my bedroom will still work after the Feb 2009 DTV switch.

It still saves me a ton of money getting my HD via OTA. The picture is better too. Oh, and no cable card hassle.