TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #5311
MichaelK

depends on the system/headend you are on.

My area is saying May
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #5312
kwbdc

If I'm recording a program that plays in 5.1 is there any way that the Tivo HD will record it that way? just wondering if I have the setting correct because it never records in the same audio format as it's playing live.
kwbdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #5313
Austintatious

Cannot pair MCards

I bought 2 of the HD units from Woot. Nashville, TN area. Picked up 2 MCards at Comcast office in Brentwood. Boxes already had version 9 installed, boxes working fine with wireless, able to update everything & had non-digital cable working fine before I called to get the Mcards activated.

Since, nothing but trouble. 3 evenings of phone calls with Comcast in Nashville. Tech out on Saturday; knew less than I did (based on this forum and links to Tivo.com in the cablecard FAQs). Tech kept telling me that he's doing the same steps he's done before and it's always worked. No one at Comcast is willing/able to take the Host ID/Data information from me -- they tell me it's unnecessary. OOB was working ok, I had the channel map properly -- but the cards aren't pairing or validated (Status: MP). Now I'm at the point where I'm getting no channels period and attempts to change the channels up/down is completely ignored/beeped at by the Tivo.

Anyone have a name of someone at Comcast in Nashville who knows what they're doing? Waiting on the tech to have someone call me back at this point, but I have no confidence until I talk to someone who can get these up & running.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #5314
MCrowley

Scifi HD coming April 15th SF Bay Area

I was just told that Scifi HD is coming to the SF Bay Area on the 15th of April.

MCrowley
MCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #5315
Gregor

Cool, here in SE PA they just added the channels:

HistoryHD
CNNHD
AMCHD
AnimalPlanetHD
TLCHD

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #5316
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbdc View Post
If I'm recording a program that plays in 5.1 is there any way that the Tivo HD will record it that way? just wondering if I have the setting correct because it never records in the same audio format as it's playing live.
It only records the digital signal. It can't change the audio format. MAny programs are only DD2.0. Otheriwse it's usually DD5.1.
There are 2 settings for the audio in the audio section under Dolby Digital, DD to PCM which will output everything as 2 channel pcm audio and the other setting is Dolby Digital, which will output the audio that is with the program. DD2.0 is output as 2.0, DD 5.1 is output as 5.1, and PCM stereo is output as pcm stereo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #5317
Shanny200

Series2 Tivo and Comcast

I'm new to this forum and hoping someone may be able to help. I did some searches and have a feeling I'm clueless about my Tivo/Comcast compatibility.

My boyfriend and I just moved to a new apartment where we have Comcast digital cable in Philly. We had Hotire Comm cable in our old apartment, which is the WORST cable company in the WORLD, but Tivo worked great with it, and now we are having problems with Comcast at our new place.

We have a Series 2 Dual Tuner Tivo. I cannot record two programs at once for some reason, although it worked fine with our other cable company. We ran the initial set-up several times to make sure that both tuners were working, which they appeared to be. However, Tivo prompts me not to change the channel or it has to change the channel every time a show is about to be recorded - no matter what channel I'm on. Also, if I'm on a local station and a cable channel is recording and I want to change to another channel, the Tivo will not let me without canceling my recording.

What is going on? It's driving me CRAZY. I'm sure it has something to do with the type of cable I have now, but someone, please tell me the solution so that the Tivo works like it's supposed to!!!!

Thank you and sorry if I am Tivo-knowledge deprived.
Shanny200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #5318
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny200 View Post
I'm new to this forum and hoping someone may be able to help. I did some searches and have a feeling I'm clueless about my Tivo/Comcast compatibility.

My boyfriend and I just moved to a new apartment where we have Comcast digital cable in Philly. We had Hotire Comm cable in our old apartment, which is the WORST cable company in the WORLD, but Tivo worked great with it, and now we are having problems with Comcast at our new place.

We have a Series 2 Dual Tuner Tivo. I cannot record two programs at once for some reason, although it worked fine with our other cable company. We ran the initial set-up several times to make sure that both tuners were working, which they appeared to be. However, Tivo prompts me not to change the channel or it has to change the channel every time a show is about to be recorded - no matter what channel I'm on. Also, if I'm on a local station and a cable channel is recording and I want to change to another channel, the Tivo will not let me without canceling my recording.

What is going on? It's driving me CRAZY. I'm sure it has something to do with the type of cable I have now, but someone, please tell me the solution so that the Tivo works like it's supposed to!!!!

Thank you and sorry if I am Tivo-knowledge deprived.

there's probably other threads here that explain it better.

But you can ONLY record 2 things at a time (or watch 2 different channels) if at least one of them is analog (so it can tune it internally). The tivo S2 can't tune a digital channel by itself and needs the cable box to get those- since it only has the abilityu to work with 1 cable box it can only get 1 digital channel at a time. Sounds like much of the channels on comcast that you have now might be digital. (usually channel 100 and above). So if you are on a channel greater then 100 or want to look at a channel greater then 100 then the tivo will have a probelm.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #5319
DaveSt

I got my S3-HD Friday 4/4. Set it up that night. Quickly realized the HD is useless without CableCard. Called Comcast Monday morning 4/7, ordered CC with the HD package, scheduled a truck roll for today Weds. 4/9. Tech showed up during the appointed window. He installed a multistream card, everything went smoothly, took about an hour mostly due to the TiVo needing a reboot and d/l of new data. All the promised channels are working fine. I was very impressed with the installer's knowledge and expertise.

Comcast rocks! Right now anyway. TiVo too.

EDIT: Location is Eugene, OR. The tech was very chatty and said Comcast will be transitioning the upper tier of analog channels to digital over the next year or so. There's a possiblility Comcast will offer existing subscribers some kind of digital converter box for analog TVs at little or no cost but that's supposedly not official. His advice was not to rush into getting any kind of converter yet, that Comcast will not leave its subscribers out in the cold as it were when analog cable goes mostly dark. Eventually there will only be the most basic lineup of analog channels remaining. (most of this is probably already known here)

ALSO, as noted elsewhere, the S3-HD box is very sensitive to signal levels. I couldn't get anything on it at first. "Rearranged" my cable hookups, splitters, amps etc. and got that working ok. In the process I discovered my cable modem's signal level was weak, got that boosted, and now I'm getting full advertised d/l speeds, much better than it had been. The moral is I should have dug into this sooner.

And the Comcast tech didn't check out any of my custom wiring. All he was focused on is getting the CableCard to work.

Last edited by DaveSt : 04-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.
DaveSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #5320
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSt View Post
I got my S3-HD Friday 4/4. Set it up that night. Quickly realized the HD is useless without CableCard. Called Comcast Monday morning 4/7, scheduled a truck roll for today Weds. 4/9. He showed up during the appointed window. Installed a multistream card, everything went smoothly, took about an hour mostly due to the TiVo needing a reboot and d/l of new data. All the promised channels are working fine. I was very impressed with the installer's knowledge and expertise.

Comcast rocks! Right now anyway.
Wow. That's refreshing. Nice to hear a success story every once in awhile.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #5321
Evilmonkee

I live in the SF Bay Area(Richmond - Comcast). Turned on the TV just now to find that not only has my TivoHD been updated to the latest software, but Sci-Fi HD has been added to my line-up(ch.736). Wooo...er...WTF? I tune to 736 and the there is no video or audio at all. The channel and show information show up in the guide and banner but there's nothing there. I checked the cablecard diagnostics and it just says, "Not Tuned: Wrong Card State." Everything else is blank. I tried tuning to the channel via the other cablecard but get the same result. All my other channels are still working fine.

Is this a problem with Tivo or Comcast? I doubt it is a signal issue as all my other HD channels get between 95-100% signal strength.
Evilmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #5322
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkee View Post
I live in the SF Bay Area(Richmond - Comcast). Turned on the TV just now to find that not only has my TivoHD been updated to the latest software, but Sci-Fi HD has been added to my line-up(ch.736). Wooo...er...WTF? I tune to 736 and the there is no video or audio at all. The channel and show information show up in the guide and banner but there's nothing there. I checked the cablecard diagnostics and it just says, "Not Tuned: Wrong Card State." Everything else is blank. I tried tuning to the channel via the other cablecard but get the same result. All my other channels are still working fine.
I don't see it listed for Comcast yet at http://www.whereishd.com/ (tried area code 94705) and they're usually real quick to get updates when channels are added. It might just be a matter of a few days away and the lineup info got changed slightly prematurely. Have you tried tuning a regular Comcast receiver to see if it's available that way, or calling your local Comcast office to find out what they say?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #5323
Evilmonkee

Well, I just got off the phone with Comcast and according to them, Sci-Fi HD(and a few other of the new HD channels that were added) should be working fine. They had me restart my tivo after unplugging it for a minute to try and clear the channel lineup information but that didn't work. It could be that the lineup change got pushed out prematurely. They're sending out somebody tomorrow to check it out on my end.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #5324
Mikef5

Quote:
Well, I just got off the phone with Comcast and according to them, Sci-Fi HD(and a few other of the new HD channels that were added) should be working fine. They had me restart my tivo after unplugging it for a minute to try and clear the channel lineup information but that didn't work. It could be that the lineup change got pushed out prematurely. They're sending out somebody tomorrow to check it out on my end.
The new channels don't go active until the 15th, sometimes the Tivo Guide gets updated before the channels are actually made available. I live in the Bay Area and I do the Comcast posts in the AVS Forums for the S.F. Bay Area so I'm pretty sure about the 15th being the date the channels go active

Laters,
Mikef5
Mikef5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:11 AM   #5325
OvrrDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
Anyone know when or if we're going to get SciFi HD?

I was hoping that we'd be getting it before the new season of BSG started
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
You don't want it.

In places, like mine, SciFiHD is one of three HD channels crammed into a single QAM -- normally, only two would be supported. A lot of pixelation has been cleaned up since it first debuted, but frame-dropping is still rampant. It sucks, really. FiOS is my only hope.

I just watched my recording of Friday's BSG premier and I wished I had recorded it from the SD channel.

I have it here in Central Florida and the quality isn't bad at all for me. I've been a little disappointed that they don't seem to broadcast anything in Dolby Digital sound, but the pic isn't bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbdc View Post
I'm getting Dolby Digital playback from recorded programs... I wonder if it makes a difference that I have a My DVD Expander hooked up. Maybe the extra HD space makes it save more. I don't recall setting anything in regards to the sound.
OvrrDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #5326
Evilmonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post
The new channels don't go active until the 15th, sometimes the Tivo Guide gets updated before the channels are actually made available. I live in the Bay Area and I do the Comcast posts in the AVS Forums for the S.F. Bay Area so I'm pretty sure about the 15th being the date the channels go active

Laters,
Mikef5
Hey Mike,

Just checked out the AVS forums and posted there. I contacted Comcast again and they were able to confirm the April 15th date, which the guy I talked to last night had no idea about.

For some reason though, I'm still not getting a signal from UHD(730). They sent a hit to the cards but that didn't work. So I'm keeping my appointment today and I also requested that they install a M-Card.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #5327
Mikef5

Quote:
Hey Mike,

Just checked out the AVS forums and posted there. I contacted Comcast again and they were able to confirm the April 15th date, which the guy I talked to last night had no idea about.

For some reason though, I'm still not getting a signal from UHD(730). They sent a hit to the cards but that didn't work. So I'm keeping my appointment today and I also requested that they install a M-Card.
Evilmonkee,

Channel 730 is NFL-HD ( at least in my area ) not UHD and is a subscription channel. Do you have the Sports package ?? That would give you the NFL-HD channel and a bunch of SD sports channels. Last I heard that was $5 extra a month to get. Hope all goes well with your cable card installation, mine went off without a hitch, 30 minutes max and is still working ( knock on wood ).

Laters,
Mikef5
Mikef5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #5328
wilrod

3rd Successful Comcast experience

I've been using my Tivo S3 with two CCs and Comcast's Limited Cable service (just local OTA programming + local HD simulcast + other junk channels) for a while and yesterday I upgraded to their Digital Starter package. The tech showed up 30 minutes into the scheduled time window (noon to 4PM), removed the filter on my line, called in to authorize the additional channels and had them working in less than 10 minutes. He told me that was his easiest call all day long.

My previous experience was frustrating: getting Comcast to downgrade my service from Digital Plus to Limited Cable and keep the two CCs (needed by Tivo for Season Pass with HD local channels). It took a while to find a rep who knew how to set it up.

The initial experience was easier: exchanged STB for CCs at the local office, inserted CCs and ran guided setup, called Comcast and had them authorize the cards. Took about 20 minutes for the cards to get all of the channels.
wilrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #5329
n0more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I bought 2 of the HD units from Woot. Nashville, TN area. Picked up 2 MCards at Comcast office in Brentwood. Boxes already had version 9 installed, boxes working fine with wireless, able to update everything & had non-digital cable working fine before I called to get the Mcards activated.

Since, nothing but trouble. 3 evenings of phone calls with Comcast in Nashville. Tech out on Saturday; knew less than I did (based on this forum and links to Tivo.com in the cablecard FAQs). Tech kept telling me that he's doing the same steps he's done before and it's always worked. No one at Comcast is willing/able to take the Host ID/Data information from me -- they tell me it's unnecessary. OOB was working ok, I had the channel map properly -- but the cards aren't pairing or validated (Status: MP). Now I'm at the point where I'm getting no channels period and attempts to change the channels up/down is completely ignored/beeped at by the Tivo.

Anyone have a name of someone at Comcast in Nashville who knows what they're doing? Waiting on the tech to have someone call me back at this point, but I have no confidence until I talk to someone who can get these up & running.
The pairing info should be taken by the cable company. Part of what it does is decode the Copy Right protected channels. The host never changes but the data # can and they both need to be correct in the system.
n0more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #5330
cfryer

What Are People Being Charged for CableCards?

My folks use Comcast and have a Comcast DVR. They want to install a Tivo HD on a second TV and Comcast (Hayward, CA) plans to charge them $6.99 per month for two cable cards. This seems ridiculous. Anyone else have a secondary TV using cable cards? How much?

I only have one TV with a Series 3 Tivo and I get charged $1.79 per month for the dual cable cards.

Comcast also told them there were no M-cards available. I am pissed as I recommended the Tivo HD to replace a Series 2.

Thank you.

Last edited by cfryer : 04-14-2008 at 05:03 PM.
cfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #5331
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfryer View Post
My folks use Comcast and have a Comcast DVR. They want to install a Tivo HD on a second TV and Comcast (Hayward, CA) plans to charge them $6.99 per month for two cable cards. This seems ridiculous. Anyone else have a secondary TV using cable cards? How much?

I only have one TV with a Series 3 Tivo and I get charged $1.79 per month for the dual cable cards.

Comcast also told them there were no M-cards available. I pissed as I recommended the Tivo HD to raplce a Series 2.

Thank you.
I've never been able to get this sorted out, even after dozens of calls to Comcast, speaking with supervisors, etc.

Many here will tell you that you can somehow get this straightened out, but in my experience forget about it, they will never do it.

I get charged about $12 for my two cable cards in my Tivo HD even though my 1st "free" cable box is an HD box that I also pay $10 a month for.

Comcast considers the two cards each seperate devices and won't give me an M-card.

This has also scrapped any plans of ever adding more Tivo boxes down the road. I'm not going to pay Comcast $12 per month per Tivo HD box and then pay the $7 per month for the Tivo subscription per month also.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #5332
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfryer View Post

Comcast also told them there were no M-cards available. I am pissed as I recommended the Tivo HD to replace a Series 2.

Thank you.
There should be an additional outlet fee that will include the first CableCARD and then there'll be the additional CableCARD fee of ~$1.50 for the second one for the same device, if needed.

That should readily account for the $6.99 in total... actually I'd generally expect it to be a few dollars more, total.

BTW, generally you just can't trust what you're told on the phone with regard to M-card availability; mostly they're clueless -- the tech who actually brings the cards to you is probably the only person who knows, and even then it's no certainty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #5333
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I get charged about $12 for my two cable cards in my Tivo HD even though my 1st "free" cable box is an HD box that I also pay $10 a month for.
It's difficult to really say considering you've given little info about what you're being charged specifically, but that sounds like it's likely correct.

If you have an HD receiver or DVR from Comcast, there's an "HD equipment charge" they'll hit you with, usually around $9.99. That box is your "free outlet" included with your digital package.

Then the TiVo is your second outlet, so you'll be paying the additional outlet fee (typically $7-$10) which will include the first CableCARD, and if you need a second CableCARD in the same device, you'll be charged another ~$1.50 for it.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #5334
bass-notes

What are people paying for their cable cards? My sister in law called to get two cable cards in Pottstown, PA and was quoted a price of $7.95 per cable card or ~$18. At this price, it would seem that Comcast is trying to price the HD TIVO box out of the market.
bass-notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #5335
DaveSt

Comcast's published price here (Eugene OR) is "free" for the first card, and $1.79 for the second card. They gave me an m-stream card so presumably I'm not going to be charged anything.
DaveSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #5336
btwyx
Substantive Member

I've mentioned it before, I'm charged an Additional outlet fee for the second S3, but then they rebate that fee because I don't have a cable box with that outlet. I effectively pay $0 for the 3rd cable card, I'm not sure how I managed that but I'm not complaining too hard.

Mine cost me:

1st card, included in Digital Silver Package (includes digital converter and remote if applicable).
2nd card, Dual C-card Dig Access $1.79
3rd card, included in A/O fee, - rebated DCT fee = $0
4th card, Dual C-card Dig Access $1.79
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #5337
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just got my first bill for the TiVoHD I connected to Comcast. They charged me zero for both cable cards.(Not bad considering I'm only paying $30 for the digital service.) Which is the same thing I paid last year when I had six of them. Zero is definitely better than the $24 i pay for the 8 CC with FIOS. But I guess FIOS is giving me HBO for free so that cuts the cost down a little.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #5338
HazelW

Hanover, PA?

Anyone using cable cards with Comcast in Hanover, PA? I amy be moving there and what to know what to expect.
HazelW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #5339
OneGr8Mick
The Reverend Mick

Wierd Cable Card Exp

I just had my cards Installed correctly here in Southwest MI. However It took a wierd path. 2 single stream mediacipher Moto Cards 1 Moto M card

They showed up on the 28th of March, called everything in with no luck, told me I would have to use their box and reshedule.

April 5th - New guy shows up new cards says he cant call them in he now has to text in the info. As you can guess it doesnt work. However The cards he installed now get channels 1-19 the non digital channels. Tells me I have to keep the box if I want channels.

April 6th file FCC complaint

April 10th Set up meeting with Tivo Supervisor, Comcast Tech, Motorolla Head end, Comcast Head end on Sat. 4/12

April 12 Tech shows up 1 hour late I get 20 $ go me. Tells me that Moto guy would not wait and his headend peeps didnt want to bother trying to talk to Tivo supervisors if Moto guy wasnt there. So he pulls out the cards re agranges them not calling anything in and I get 1-19 and OTA HD locals now.
Tells me to set up another roll for next week, and he will try again.

I then call Comcast and cry, get a supervisor, cry somemore and get the HR Manager. She sets up an appointment for April 14th. And gives me her Direct Line Incase their headends bail again.

April 14th Tech shows up. No new cards says he was told by dispatch I had a CC problem and needed the cards tested. He checks the signal and says they should be working and leaves. Now i have 1-19, 104, 106, 194, and OTA HD locals. Again he called nothing In.

After He leaves I call the HR Manager and cry somemore. She sends a new tech out for 5-7, He is late i get 20 more dollars go me. He shows up pulls out all the cards. checks the numbers to make sure they were called in the first time correctly.. Puts in the first card waits for pairing Info, while he is waiting he goes to test channels and they are all there. Puts in the Second card, and they all show up, Then puts back in the Multi stream card and bam all the channels show up. Again he calls in nothing.

For some reason they just started to work I am not sure if I just had to wait 3 weeks for the channels to show up or maybe had to pull then in and out a few times. I dont know and dont care. Even the Tech had no idea but we were not about to argue. I signed for them and he left. I am still not sure what happened but he says they must figured out what was wrong on the moto end or their head end.

Either way I thought I would share my story. Only took 3 weeks, A lot better then the 6 months It took when I first had this done with Charter about 2 years ago. i guess they are getting better.

Thanks
Micky,

If your in southwest MI and need Cable cards from comcast Tech# 2005 Kevin, and the other tech named kevin are the ones that helped me finally get it done even if they have no idea how they did it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #5340
wdpower

Wow, three weeks. I got an appt Fri from 8-11 for my install. I called today to confirm and double check the availability of M-Cards. Looks like things are a go.

Wish me luck.

-Bill
wdpower is offline   Reply With Quote