TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #1711
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

My plan was to unplug the wifi adapter before I activate the TiVoHD unit. That would allow me to replicate my Season Pass list as best as possible, and allow me to retain all of the TiVo Plus functionality for at least a few weeks until the guide data needed refreshing.

I am glad that I did. Turns out my refurbed TiVoHD is constantly rebooting. The best I was able to do was watch a few of the TiVo introduction vids, set up several Season Passes, and surf a few channels. All of that was a few hours after initial setup. TiVo customer service was exceptional and they will replace my TiVoHD at no charge.

At least I didn't lose any info on my RS-TX20.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #1712
tdeshler

Well this is sure a massive thread. My first time here. I guess I'll just jump in with a new topic, which is how it seems to go here.

I have two TX-20 units. They are both working fine and I plan to network them together at some point, but I can't seem to get the wireless adapter to be recognized on the more recently acquired unit. I have a Linksys WUSB11 v. 2.5 that works fine on either machine, but I just purchased a Linksys WUSB11 v. 2.8 that won't work on either machine, even though the adapter supposedly works according to the seller. Anybody have any ideas why two separate adapters wouldn't be possible here? Thanks

Tad
tdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #1713
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeshler View Post
I have a Linksys WUSB11 v. 2.5 that works fine on either machine, but I just purchased a Linksys WUSB11 v. 2.8 that won't work on either machine, even though the adapter supposedly works according to the seller. Anybody have any ideas why two separate adapters wouldn't be possible here? Thanks
I double-checked the supported adapters list and the WUSB11 v2.8 is a supported adapter. Since it doesn't work on either box, are you sure it works at all? Can you connect it to your PC and see if you can get it to work? If you look on the bottom of the adapter, are you sure it's a v2.8?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #1714
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

If I recall correctly the adapters have to be a certain version or serial number range. I don't know where or when so I can't back it up by citing a certain post. I am sure someone else can point to that info.

If it is guaranteed by the seller then recommend that you contact him/her.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #1715
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I double-checked the supported adapters list and the WUSB11 v2.8 is a supported adapter. Since it doesn't work on either box, are you sure it works at all? Can you connect it to your PC and see if you can get it to work? If you look on the bottom of the adapter, are you sure it's a v2.8?
Yeah. What he said.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #1716
tdeshler

Well it doesn't seem to register on the laptop either, so I guess it is a bum unit, despite what the seller said. Back it goes. Thanks for the replies...
tdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #1717
windracer
joined the 10k club

One other thing to try ... it's been a while since I had a WUSB11, but IIRC, the USB cable it comes with has the standard A plug on both sides, but the cable was specifically labeled as to which side goes to the adapter, and which side goes to the PC (or TiVo in this case). You might want to double-check that. I know it caught me once (before I switched to all TiVo G adapters).

|
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #1718
zero_x3

first time on here. never had problems on my tx20 until this evening. i've had the lifetime basic plan since i bought the box 2.5 years ago. all of a sudden, it said my plan was closed. CS told me to 'fool' the box by re-running guided set-up first with a false zip-code then with my real zip-code. well, i did the false zip-code and now my box is stuck in a power-up loop! help!
zero_x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #1719
azitnay

As for the power-up loop, first try unplugging the unit for an hour or so, then plugging it back in. Sometimes that helps. If it doesn't, and it's at least getting to the "Almost There" screen before rebooting, you might want to try one or more of the kickstart codes listed here:

http://www.zitnay.com/tc/tivodiags.html

If you have no luck with them, you might have a more serious problem, such as hard drive failure.

As for TiVo Basic not working any more, I've never seen that... Maybe if you subscribe the unit temporarily, and then cancel within the trial period to get a full refund, it'll revert back properly?

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #1720
zero_x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay View Post
As for the power-up loop, first try unplugging the unit for an hour or so, then plugging it back in. Sometimes that helps. If it doesn't, and it's at least getting to the "Almost There" screen before rebooting, you might want to try one or more of the kickstart codes listed here:

http://www.zitnay.com/tc/tivodiags.html

If you have no luck with them, you might have a more serious problem, such as hard drive failure.

As for TiVo Basic not working any more, I've never seen that... Maybe if you subscribe the unit temporarily, and then cancel within the trial period to get a full refund, it'll revert back properly?

Drew
Thanks. I found this thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=325134) and decided to go that route. format and install was 'cake', and im able to power-up and use the box w/o problems. however, my account still says 'closed' in TIVO central and online. i'm going to give a call to tivo when i get home today.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #1721
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
My plan was to unplug the wifi adapter before I activate the TiVoHD unit. That would allow me to replicate my Season Pass list as best as possible, and allow me to retain all of the TiVo Plus functionality for at least a few weeks until the guide data needed refreshing.
Just an update for those that might be curious. After I got my replacement THD, I proceeded as described above. This allowed me 2 weeks worth of guide data and the ability to continue using my Season Passes and other TiVo Plus features.

After the guide data expired, I reconnected the wifi adapter and setup the TiVo for my network. This of course reset everything to TiVo Basic as expected. (Side note: Among all the other restricted features with TiVo Basic, the onscreen guide allows only TiVo Classic view and not Grid View.)

Either that night or the next day, I had a message waiting on the TiVo. It was asking me to try TiVo Plus service free for 45 days. Can you see where this is going? I knew you could.

I signed up for the free trial and was accepted. So I have another 45 days of TiVo Plus on my (now) standby DVR. Thanks TiVo!

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #1722
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
Either that night or the next day, I had a message waiting on the TiVo. It was asking me to try TiVo Plus service free for 45 days.
I have that sitting on my TX20's TiVo Central menu as well (ever since I let it drop back to Basic) ... I've been saving it for a special occasion.

|
Old 04-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #1723
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Yeah, I probably should have saved it for something like a vacation or something like that. But I didn't think about it and didn't know how long that offer would be available.

TiVo Basic also takes away your remote control shortcuts from the main menu. I was actually a little ticked off about that.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #1724
zero_x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_x3 View Post
Thanks. I found this thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=325134) and decided to go that route. format and install was 'cake', and im able to power-up and use the box w/o problems. however, my account still says 'closed' in TIVO central and online. i'm going to give a call to tivo when i get home today.
UPDATE: after talking with tivo, they told me they would escalate the call and to check back on the 12th. Since then, i've received new tivo service updates and have been upgraded to tivo plus on my box. TIVO Central shows account status as "Internal Testing" but online it says its still closed. ill update after the 12th.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #1725
Skuits

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to use two inputs with only Tivo Basic? I am trying to use a digital ATSC tuner and my antenna but can't use both setups with only basic?

Thanks,
Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #1726
azitnay

You can't... Per the differences listed in TiVo's support article:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...s_content.html

only one program source input is allowed within TiVo Basic.

Drew
Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #1727
Skuits

I figured it as so. I wonder if I upgraded for a month to get through guided setup using two inputs then canceled if it would revert back to only one input?

Hmmm, any ideas???

thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #1728
AGerberBGM
RS-TX60 Lover!!

AGerberBGM

Hi All Alan G here. GREAT GROUP SIgn ME UP!! I have 3 RS-TX60s w Lifetime svc. all successfully networked w 3 TIvo Wireless G usb Adaptors + in a wireless D-LInk network w DIR-655 gigabit Router - to an 8 port Gigabit switch . I'm also taking the other USB out - into a WII USB 2 /Ethernet adaptor Directly into one of the LAN ports of the Router. All INto my Mac- DUal 1.25 G4 2 gig ram :Tiger; going to a WD
STudio Ext 750 GB HD - With Nothing but my TIvo Transfer recordings on it .
Just Got and am using Toast 9 - w 9.02 update. Strange thing - One of my tivos - in 5th Bedroom - won't go to 9.3 software update even tho tivo has sent the request + reconnected 50 + times ( that's what kids are for) . STuck on 9.1 . What I'm trying to do is to be able to use my 750 gbExt HD as a "Tivo - Server- with the ability to have tivo dl to the hd automatically - ( set up in toast- w Tivo Transfer) ANd Then be able to play it from THE MAC- as another Tivo MAchine. I did add the computer as a server- and it's listed as another source in Now PLaying screen - but says No recordings. So Close - Yet SO Far... Also Tivo Transfer is extremely flaky -- never sure when or why it will just time out . Since I have 160 hrs per tivo I'm trying to DownLoad(dl) I hope this will happen before my son is off to Graduate School - ( he's 11) or all of my family is buried in Back-Up DVDs!!
As everyone is having same problem of running out of room - at least we have the ability to save easily to DVD -- There needs to be better way!!
Any Tips ; Advice; similar Stories; Solutions - GREATLY APPRECIATED! All Our Best and How Bout a TIvo w a built in DL- Blue-Ray Recorder?!!
Peace, Alan G

Last edited by AGerberBGM : 04-13-2008 at 02:22 AM.
AGerberBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #1729
Skuits

Yikes!!! What did you say???
Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #1730
Skuits

******HELP****Using an ATSC tuner on the A/V input???*****

Hello all (again),

Since I am having no luck with IR codes and being able to run my ATSC tuner box I thought I'd manually run it but don't know how to hook it up.?

I need help running the ATSC tuner (digital converter box) into the Tivo. Is this even possible since Tivo only accepts an analog signal???

I thought I could at least hook the ATSC tuner into the A/V input of the Tivo but that doesn't seem to work? Having only basic Tivo service I think has limited my options as well. Is this why I can't see the ATSC tuner through the Tivo? To top it off the particular tuner I have doesn't have analog bypass.

I am hoping someone has some tips/instructions on how I can at least run the ATSC tuner manually through the Tivo so I can at least control live TV and record from the ATSC tuner when the channel is set correctly.

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #1731
Flyinace2000

Hey guys i upgraded my TS-TX20 to TivoHD over the weekend. I want to sell it and wanted to know how much i could get for it? Its in mint condition and never been opened. I have a netgear usb to ethernet adapter too. No lifetime service.

-Will
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #1732
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000 View Post
Hey guys i upgraded my TS-TX20 to TivoHD over the weekend. I want to sell it and wanted to know how much i could get for it? Its in mint condition and never been opened. I have a netgear usb to ethernet adapter too. No lifetime service.

-Will
Something less than $100?

Check out the completed auctions on ebay... (you have to log in to see them)
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #1733
Skuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
Something less than $100?

Check out the completed auctions on ebay... (you have to log in to see them)
If you choose to sell it on eBay, I would make sure to advertise the fact that it comes with the Tivo Basic service, and the ability to control live tv with no monthly fees!!!

Good luck!

Mark
Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #1734
nateman96

TS-RX20 will not boot

Hi, I noticed by TS-RX20 toggles between the two yellow and red lights coming on in front of the Unit and the "Welcome" on the front of the box. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I disconnected the power to the unit and it is still doing this. Thanks
nateman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #1735
Skuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateman96 View Post
Hi, I noticed by TS-RX20 toggles between the two yellow and red lights coming on in front of the Unit and the "Welcome" on the front of the box. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I disconnected the power to the unit and it is still doing this. Thanks
Is this a new problem? Has the Toshiba been working normally up to this point? If it lost power it does take a bit for it to boot up etc.

Mark
Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #1736
nateman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuits View Post
Is this a new problem? Has the Toshiba been working normally up to this point? If it lost power it does take a bit for it to boot up etc.

Mark
The Toshiba TS-RX20 was working fine for about 2 years, then recently it just toggles between the two (red and and yellow) lights coming on and the "Welcome" text on the front. I even cycled the power to see if this would fix it but it did not. So essentially it is in an endless loop between the two lights coming on, then the lights go off and the "Welcome" comes on...on and on......
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #1737
Skuits

Bummer! I am no expert but it sounds like the hard drive has failed. If so its a relatively easy fix. You can buy a drive all set up with the image of the Tivo software on it and simply replace it (turn some screws etc). Same as you would basically with a computer. Its a good time to buy a bigger drive and increase your storage space. As an alternative you could buy a second Toshiba unit from eBay and take out the drive copy the image onto a larger drive and have two units. You have a few options here.

I think if you search the "endless loop" situation from the search function on this site you'll find more comprehensive info on your problem.

I really like the Toshiba unit as you can control it (a bit) from the front without the remote, unlike my Pioneer unit. It's not as pretty as the Pioneer but works nearly the same. The Pioneer is faster from menu to menu. I upgraded the drive on my Pioneer with a 500 GB drive I got new from Newegg. Matched the specs nearly to the fancy drives they sell that are specific to DVR's. $100 for the drive and an hour or so learning how to unlock and copy the image. MSFlive is a tool you can do the copy with. Its all lined out on the site http://www.mfslive.org/

I am not computer wiz and I figured it out, so I figure anyone can do it

Good luck!!!

Mark
Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #1738
phaidres

can i use RS-TX 20 with fios??

i hope someone in this forum can help me. i have a toshiba rs-tx20 tivo. it is only 3 years old and still under a 4 year warranty. i just switched over from comcast cable to fios tv. when ordering the service i was guaranteed that the tivo could work with fios. when the technician arrived, i was informed this was not the case! i was told i would have to use the fios dvr box [$12.99] and my tivo is basically unusable.

does anyone have info on this? we use the tivo with basic service [i like the guide much better than cable/fios], and we don't use any VOD services. we also use the tivo as a dvd burner and to watch dvds. we would really like to continue using this. is it possible to use this with the fios service??
phaidres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #1739
azitnay

FIOS typically gives you very few analog cable channels... Typically, you'll get your local broadcast stations, but little else.

So, if you want all the channels on your RS-TX20, you'll need to rent a set-top box from Verizon (there'll be a small monthly fee, but it shouldn't be anywhere near $12.99), and use IR blasters to give the TiVo the ability to change the channels on the Verizon box. This setup can be very error-prone (missed channel changes, etc.), so I don't typically recommend it, but many people have been successful in getting it to work at or near 100% of the time.

Drew
Old 05-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #1740
nateman96

Controlling Cox Digital Cable Box and Dish Satellite Box with RS-TX20

I have a RS-TX20 and I use the IR connection to change the channels on my Dish Network Satellite box (I have a few International channels), however, I also have COX Digital cable and I would like to know how to change the channels on it with my RS-TX20. The COX digital box does not have a Serial connection so that is not an option. Thanks for your help.