TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #91
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'm not familar at all with Mac platform, but this error indicates that X server is not running. I don't think X windows is used by default on Mac but Perl/Tk for a Mac uses X windows and hence your problem. So you have to have X server installed and running. Here's a reference:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Macintosh/X/ptk/
X Windows isn't installed by default, but you can install it. I honestly forget whether it's on the regular OS install DVD or developer tools DVD.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #92
moyekj

Minor enhancement just released to help with configuration issues.
------------------
v0.2i (04/05/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENT:
* Added some more error checking for configuration setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #93
Berone

Kevin,
Still beating away at the Mac end of things. I was unsuccessful getting a different version of Curl going, but I believe the problem with running Curl at the command line was the "server busy" error, only I wasn't getting the error message. It's the same symptom, though - a file is created in the output directory but nothing is downloaded to it. In any case, I tried again to paste the syntax from the kmttg box into Terminal and it fully downloads the show. This is the same syntax that is stopping around 350 - 425 mb. I've duplicated these results with multiple shows of various lengths. In kmttg the clock keeps running but the show stops downloading and the progress meter stands still. I haven't let it do that for more than 10 minutes or so, but I'm going to set it running now and go to bed. I'll see what happens with the process running over night. You've successfully suppressed the terminal windows that the 3rd party programs open - is there any way to get them to open? Or to create a log that might show me what is going on?

Thanks,
Anthony
Berone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:15 AM   #94
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berone View Post
Kevin,
Still beating away at the Mac end of things. I was unsuccessful getting a different version of Curl going, but I believe the problem with running Curl at the command line was the "server busy" error, only I wasn't getting the error message. It's the same symptom, though - a file is created in the output directory but nothing is downloaded to it. In any case, I tried again to paste the syntax from the kmttg box into Terminal and it fully downloads the show. This is the same syntax that is stopping around 350 - 425 mb. I've duplicated these results with multiple shows of various lengths. In kmttg the clock keeps running but the show stops downloading and the progress meter stands still. I haven't let it do that for more than 10 minutes or so, but I'm going to set it running now and go to bed. I'll see what happens with the process running over night. You've successfully suppressed the terminal windows that the 3rd party programs open - is there any way to get them to open? Or to create a log that might show me what is going on?

Thanks,
Anthony
It could be something related to unflushed stdout/stderr that is wating to be flushed. On Linux and Windows I've set things up so those file ports auto-flush but it could be on OS X they are not. I'll PM you another version of kmttg.pl with some forced flushing to see if that solves your issue.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #95
moyekj

Forgot it's not possible to send attachments via PM. Attached is a version with buffer flushing (goes to stdout for non-Windows OS) that may solve the problem for you - let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kmttg.zip (18.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #96
Berone

Nope, that didn't work. It queued up the show but then never downloaded it. Running it over night, btw, resulted in 8 hrs 43 min stopped at 358 mb.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #97
moyekj

Quote:
Nope, that didn't work. It queued up the show but then never downloaded it. Running it over night, btw, resulted in 8 hrs 43 min stopped at 358 mb.
Probably suffering from the "server busy" problem. Make sure any running curl processes are killed on your Mac before trying again with this modified kmttg.pl.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #98
Berone

Couple of things - the problem wasn't the "server busy" problem, because when I tried again I got that. Problem with "server busy" is that it creates the file in the output directory but then kicks back the error and doesn't download. When I retry it won't download because the file already exists.

Back to the other problem - it did the same thing (after I deleted the empty file)says "queued" but never moves past that. Also doesn't let me select that to cancel the process, nor select anything else. Program won't close, either - I had to crash the whole X11 instance to shut it down. It is, however, downloading the file. I discovered this the second time I tried it. Unfortunately the problem is still there. In the most recent example it got to 402 mb and stopped downloading.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your efforts to help me work this out. I'm only starting to work on a Mac and Mac users are definitely second class citizens - nothing works there! It would be nice to bash one program into shape for the Mac users!

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 04-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #99
moyekj

Quote:
Any other ideas? I appreciate your efforts to help me work this out. I'm only starting to work on a Mac and Mac users are definitely second class citizens - nothing works there! It would be nice to bash one program into shape for the Mac users
I would still like you to try a different version of curl. You mentioned problems getting the pre-compiled binary to work for the one I linked you to, how about you build your own binary from source code:
http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=source
I used that same source code to build the win32 curl binary I include in kmttg which I know is working fine.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #100
Philipp5

THANKS Moyekj! Your program is working for me to connect and download and convert from my Tivo.
The only thing not working is the file browser to convert files already on my PC. It gives me the following error. It's not that big of a deal, just letting you know:

>> Getting Now Playing List from FILES C:\TiVo ...
S:\Downloads\TiVo\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\Tivokmttg\cookies2124" --url "https://Recordings/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "C:\Tivokmttg\tmpFile2124_2"
*ERROR* Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from FILES C:\TiVo
*ERROR* Exit code: 6
*ERROR* CHECK YOUR MAK & IP SETTINGS
*ERROR* The system cannot find the file specified.

FYI: I'm asking it to look in the following folder: C:\TiVo Recordings
Philipp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #101
Philipp5

Newbie Instructions of Kmttg

Here is a newbie guide to installing kmttg for the non computer savvy crowd out there:
  1. Download the kmttg program with its tool here and extract the files in the zip archive to any directory you like
  2. Download and install Active Perl version 5.8 here
  3. Reboot your PC
  4. Go to the directory where you extracted the zip file and doubleclick on kmttg.pl. Once open go to File/configure to configure the program as follows (only the first time).
  5. Enter the name of your Tivo (find it in your Tivo under Account & System Info)
  6. Enter the network address of your Tivo (something similar to 192.168.1.2). You can find that number in your Tivo under Settings/Phone&Network.
  7. Check on Enable File browser
  8. Under Default Path enter the same directory used by your Tivo Desktop (My Tivo Recordings)
  9. Under MAK enter the Media Access Key (in your Tivo under Account & System Info)
  10. Under Output Dir enter any directory where you would like to store your converted recordings
  11. Click ADD and then OK
  12. You're Done!

Last edited by Philipp5 : 04-06-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Philipp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #102
moyekj

Quote:
Couple of things - the problem wasn't the "server busy" problem, because when I tried again I got that. Problem with "server busy" is that it creates the file in the output directory but then kicks back the error and doesn't download. When I retry it won't download because the file already exists.

Back to the other problem - it did the same thing (after I deleted the empty file)says "queued" but never moves past that. Also doesn't let me select that to cancel the process, nor select anything else. Program won't close, either - I had to crash the whole X11 instance to shut it down. It is, however, downloading the file. I discovered this the second time I tried it. Unfortunately the problem is still there. In the most recent example it got to 402 mb and stopped downloading.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your efforts to help me work this out. I'm only starting to work on a Mac and Mac users are definitely second class citizens - nothing works there! It would be nice to bash one program into shape for the Mac users!

Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony, try this attached kmttg.pl. I suspect it will solve the hanging issue you were having. I was able to reproduce a hang on a Linux system as well and this version seemed to fix it. Let me know how it goes...
Attached Files
File Type: zip kmttg.zip (17.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #103
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp5 View Post
THANKS Moyekj! Your program is working for me to connect and download and convert from my Tivo.
The only thing not working is the file browser to convert files already on my PC. It gives me the following error. It's not that big of a deal, just letting you know:

>> Getting Now Playing List from FILES C:\TiVo ...
S:\Downloads\TiVo\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "C:\Tivokmttg\cookies2124" --url "https://Recordings/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "C:\Tivokmttg\tmpFile2124_2"
*ERROR* Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from FILES C:\TiVo
*ERROR* Exit code: 6
*ERROR* CHECK YOUR MAK & IP SETTINGS
*ERROR* The system cannot find the file specified.

FYI: I'm asking it to look in the following folder: C:\TiVo Recordings
Wow, there is something very wrong in config.ini then as it's treating that entry as another Tivo instead of entering file mode. Please email me your config.ini file so I can take a look (blank out the MAK setting if you wish). Looks like I need to beef up the configuration error checking some more...

Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #104
moyekj

v0.2j just released with some bug fixes:
------------------
v0.2j (04/06/2008)
------------------
BUG FIXES:
* Fix to properly deal with file browser default paths with spaces.
* Re-implemented Unix systems background process forking to workaround issues with hanging processes in previous implementations.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #105
Berone

Kevin,
Now we're making progress! That got the download to work all the way. I also have the decoder working. Now I have to suss out comskip. It seems to be hanging the same way the download hung. I'll bang away at that tomorrow. Can I run comskip at the command line by pasting the syntax from the kmttg box? Also, can I use mencode for the final encoding (to avi or mp4)? There is a ffmpeg for the Mac, but it looks like a real pain to install. I'd like to test it with the more readily available software.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #106
Berone

Correction - it's hanging in the Comcut sequence, not comskip. Which program handles the encoding to the cut mpg file?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #107
moyekj

Quote:
Correction - it's hanging in the Comcut sequence, not comskip. Which program handles the encoding to the cut mpg file?

Thanks,
Anthony
mencoder handles the actual commercial cutting. You should see the mencoder command kmttg is executing in the text area.

As far as mencoder for re-encoding that should work OK. Personally I tried mencoder and found that ffmpeg was much faster and just as good. You can use Google to find mencoder settings for encoding for different target devices. Here's one example for mencoder arguments for kmttg equivalent to my sample ffmpeg encode for my Cowon A3 Portable Media Player:
Code:
-i INPUT -vcodec libxvid -trell -max_bframes=2 -s 800x480 -b 1600k -r 29.97 -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ar 48000 -ab 128k -y -f avi OUTPUT
Anthony, I'm hoping you are taking notes of everything you have done to get things working on OS X so we can include an OS X installation guide in the documentation?

Last edited by moyekj : 04-07-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #108
Berone

Let's start with, does this look right?

CUTTING COMMERCIALS IN /Volumes/KAYLEE/Tivo/Doctor Who - Blink (Recorded Fri Mar 7 2008 05 00AM SCIFI).mpg ...
/Applications/kmttg/mencoder/mencoder "/Volumes/KAYLEE/Tivo/Doctor Who - Blink (Recorded Fri Mar 7 2008 05 00AM SCIFI).mpg" -edl "/Volumes/KAYLEE/Tivo/Doctor Who - Blink (Recorded Fri Mar 7 2008 05 00AM SCIFI).edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -o "/Volumes/KAYLEE/Tivo/Doctor Who - Blink (Recorded Fri Mar 7 2008 05 00AM SCIFI)_cut.mpg"

I was taking notes but the issues wandered around so much that lost track of what was going wrong. Once I have it all working I'll back up over the details.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #109
Berone

Kevin,

Okay, back to you! The comskip ran fine and the comcut which froze in kmttg ran fine in terminal. Aside from not actually cutting the commercials, but that's a different problem. I'm running the same process again now to see if I get the same results.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #110
Berone

Didn't get the same results. 3 1/2 hours so far scanning for commercials in a Star Trek episode. TVLand has a lot of commercials, but not that many. No .edl file created. One .txt file completely empty and one .log file that seems related to comskip. I'm going to abort and try something else. Lots of cookie files appearing in the output directory. Is that where they should be? I have hidden files revealed on the mac, so maybe that's why I'm seeing them.

Anthony
Old 04-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #111
Berone

Tried again -same thing. The commands will run from Terminal but not within Kmttg. The resultant ...cut.mpg file was incredibly out of sync but that's a different problem to solve.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #112
moyekj

Quote:
Tried again -same thing. The commands will run from Terminal but not within Kmttg. The resultant ...cut.mpg file was incredibly out of sync but that's a different problem to solve.
I know what the problem is with hanging mencoder command on Unix systems. I will release a fix today or tomorrow some time.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #113
moyekj

New version just released with a good update for unix based systems:
------------------
v0.2k (04/08/2008)
------------------
BUG FIXES:
* Re-implemented Unix systems background process forking once again to workaround issues with hanging processes in previous implementations. As a bonus in the new implementation now any errors returned by background processes are displayed in the kmttg text area. Will need to evaluate the same implementation for Windows platform since currently the Windows platform does not catch and display background process errors.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #114
Berone

Yeah, baby! That did it. We have everything but the final encode working. There are a lot of steps to installing ffmpeg, including having to get the audio codecs properly installed. I'm going to beat on that tomorrow.

You do nice work!

Anthony
Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #115
Berone

Well, 6 1/2 hours later and I still can't get ffmpeg working. I got ffmpegX to work just fine, but the object of the exercise is to do everything with one interface. I tried using the ffmpegX install within kmttg, since it's a working install, but this is the error that I got:

*ERROR* encoder failed (exit code: 1) - check above /Applications/kmttg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg command
FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-mp3lame --enable-gpl --disable-vhook --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-a52 --enable-xvid --enable-faac --enable-faad --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-pthreads --enable-x264
libavutil version: 49.0.0
libavcodec version: 51.9.0
libavformat version: 50.4.0
built on Apr 15 2006 04:58:19, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
input: I/O error occured
Usually that means that input file is truncated and/or corrupted.

Mean anything?

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited by Berone : 04-09-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #116
moyekj

Quote:
Well, 6 1/2 hours later and I still can't get ffmpeg working. I got ffmpegX to work just fine, but the object of the exercise is to do everything with one interface. I tried using the ffmpegX install within kmttg, since it's a working install, but this is the error that I got:

*ERROR* encoder failed (exit code: 1) - check above /Applications/kmttg/ffmpeg/ffmpeg command
FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-mp3lame --enable-gpl --disable-vhook --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-a52 --enable-xvid --enable-faac --enable-faad --enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --enable-pthreads --enable-x264
libavutil version: 49.0.0
libavcodec version: 51.9.0
libavformat version: 50.4.0
built on Apr 15 2006 04:58:19, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
input: I/O error occured
Usually that means that input file is truncated and/or corrupted.

Mean anything?

Thanks,
Anthony
Did you specify INPUT and OUTPUT keywords (which represent the input and output files) in your kmttg configuration setup? For ffmpeg you need to have "-i INPUT" and "-o OUTPUT" as part of your ffmpeg arguments. I'm not familiar with ffmpegX, perhaps the input and output file specification format may be different.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #117
Berone

I used the configuration line that you gave me, so yes. ffmpegX is an OS X gui for ffmpeg. I read a suggestion to extract ffmpeg from the package to use it command line, which is one of the things I tried. I also tried everything else I could find. Unfortunately when I got errors I couldn't get around them or find a reference to solving them. Hence 6 1/2 (now almost 8) hours trying to solve it.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #118
moyekj

Quote:
I used the configuration line that you gave me, so yes. ffmpegX is an OS X gui for ffmpeg. I read a suggestion to extract ffmpeg from the package to use it command line, which is one of the things I tried. I also tried everything else I could find. Unfortunately when I got errors I couldn't get around them or find a reference to solving them. Hence 6 1/2 (now almost 8) hours trying to solve it.
So sounds like ffmegX wasn't meant to work command line...
So what was wrong with mencoder? Can't you just use that? Here's sample mencoder arguments that work for me:
INPUT -ovc xvid -xvidencopts max_bframes=2:bitrate=1600:trellis -vf scale=800:480 -ofps 29.97 -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=0:br=128 -of avi -o OUTPUT

Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #119
nickhaas33

I noticed today that I had 190 entries in my nowplaying and a couple did not make it through to the KMTTG list. Is there a limit to how many can be in the now playing list. I was using .2J of KMTTG

Thanks!
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #120
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhaas33 View Post
I noticed today that I had 190 entries in my nowplaying and a couple did not make it through to the KMTTG list. Is there a limit to how many can be in the now playing list. I was using .2J of KMTTG

Thanks!
I figured this day would come Yes, the Tivo server will only return at most 128 items at a time. As part of it's return XML the server indicates how many items total you have <TotalItems> vs. how many items it returned for this query <ItemCount>. That can be used to determine that there are additional entries you need to ask for. For subsequent calls as part of the URL you can then specify an item offset <AnchorOffset> as well as number of items to retrieve - i.e. for example you add something like the following to the usual URL: &AnchorOffset=129&ItemCount=10. In short, for more than 128 entries, multiple calls to the Tivo server are necessary to grab all items.
Anyway, though I'm aware of all the details I haven't implemented it in kmttg yet - mostly I was waiting to see if anyone would run into the limit before bothering to look into it. Guess that time has come