TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #61
dzm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Thanks for the updated info. I've passed it along for the engineers to research further.
No hard data here, but here's what I have:

o About a week ago the DTivo (Series 1) complained about not having made a call.
o Looking into the Phone screen the last call it claimed to have completed was March 18
o Calling DTV, their phone monkey told me that no, the most recent call was March 21 (I suspect that the difference is "When did you last call TiVo" vs "When did you last call DTV?")
o The error on the screen was something along the lines of "Remote service not answering" (though when the dialing was happening, you could lift a phone receiver and hear the modems screaming at eachother)
o I had been using "The 800 Number" as my dial-in number (there were no local POPs when I set this unit up years ago)
o I was using ,#019 as the dial prefix

Removal of the ,#019 prefix did nothing to resolve the problem.

After several days of arguing with DirecTV support about this problem I found this post. I found a local POP number, entered it into the Prefix field, and made a call. Voila! Everything works well again.

The DTiVo presented me with a proper list of local POPs, I selected the same number I had just used in the prefix field, and now everything is working as expected again.
dzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #62
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzm View Post
No hard data here, but here's what I have:

o About a week ago the DTivo (Series 1) complained about not having made a call.
o Looking into the Phone screen the last call it claimed to have completed was March 18
o Calling DTV, their phone monkey told me that no, the most recent call was March 21 (I suspect that the difference is "When did you last call TiVo" vs "When did you last call DTV?")
o The error on the screen was something along the lines of "Remote service not answering" (though when the dialing was happening, you could lift a phone receiver and hear the modems screaming at eachother)
o I had been using "The 800 Number" as my dial-in number (there were no local POPs when I set this unit up years ago)
o I was using ,#019 as the dial prefix

Removal of the ,#019 prefix did nothing to resolve the problem.

After several days of arguing with DirecTV support about this problem I found this post. I found a local POP number, entered it into the Prefix field, and made a call. Voila! Everything works well again.

The DTiVo presented me with a proper list of local POPs, I selected the same number I had just used in the prefix field, and now everything is working as expected again.
Would you be so kind as to send me a PM with your 15-digit TSN? I'd like to look at your call pattern from our side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #63
ChrisKinsman

Thanks!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I had a hard drive failure in my HDVR2.

Bought a new drive and recloned from the OEM drive I saved off initially. Fought with the thing for almost 3 hours trying to get it to connect, thought the modem was bad, etc.

Finally found this post.

You are correct in that the initial setup numbers are dead...
ChrisKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #64
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

....Same here- here are specific results:

Got another replacement HR10 off ebay and imaged 3.1.5f on a 750gig drive.

-Entered 262 area code and 5 times got service not answering.

-Entered my local dial in number on dial prefix then dialed in.

-Connection established and successful.

-After a couple minutes of doing nothing, a nag popped up on the screen indicated dialing options have changed, press select to test and accept new options. (wierd). This process repeated itself 3 times.

-I then entered 262 area code and made call (still having dial in number entered in phone prefix block), and this time it succeeded, and showed the list of dial in numbers.

-Clicked on the local number (which was the same as my dial prefix) and tested connection. Connection was successful.

-Removed the local number from phone prefix since the local dial in number showed up on info screen.

-Made daily call and everything worked fine.

-No futher nag indicating dialing options changed..........

TiVoJerry- I will PM my TSN to you.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #65
Dan the TiVo Man
Gold Card Member

Many Thanks To Mr Bogusbaxter

I spent hours trying to get my HR10-250 to make a test call after I performed a delete and clear everything. I finally found this thread and I followed the instructions from Mr Bogusbaxter which allowed me to complete the test call.

I don't understand why the "change dialing options" menu does not allow you to see the default dial-in number after a clear and delete is performed.

After completing the test call I looked at the change dialing options menu and the dial in number is visible and I can edit the number.

The instructions for this fix should be a sticky ASAP. This dial-in issue will cause untold hours of grief for fellow TiVo users.
Dan the TiVo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #66
mgkline

It Works!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Needless to say, I have been going out of my mind for the last month or so trying to figure out why all of my old DirecTV Tivo recorders weren't dialing in. And yes, I tried a hard reset, wiping out all old recorded shows ... still nothing.

This morning, I just kept retrying to call in, and it would work maybe one out of every 8 times or so ... until this post! Now, everything's activated, noproblems!

I plan on calling DTV to let them know this fix - I spent hours on the phone with them ... for NOTHING!
mgkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #67
RFSmith

I did the fix and all I have to choose from are toll calls. Sorry TiVo but if you want my viewing data I don't think I should pay for it...
RFSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #68
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSmith View Post
I did the fix and all I have to choose from are toll calls. Sorry TiVo but if you want my viewing data I don't think I should pay for it...
I know it seems a bit "Catch 22-ish" for me to say this while people are having problems using the 800#, but contact DTV to receive toll-free authorization. I received a PM earlier from a customer that told me the reps at DTV were a little confused about to how do this, but it is something they've owned the responsibility of generating for at least 5 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #69
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

Quote:
Stevel is correct that the 800# connection during setup is to TiVo servers, despite what is visible on the screens. DTV owns the product so they didn't want customers confused with language that might state otherwise.

Connections to that number have not been purposely disconnected. I've passed along this report to our engineering folk to look into it. I'll follow up once I hear anything or need more information.....
So, help me a little here TiVoJerry....
Has the engineering folk figured out why the servers are all of a sudden not responding to DTV units, or is this widespread affecting SA's as well? And.........

Quote:
I know it seems a bit "Catch 22-ish" for me to say this while people are having problems using the 800#, but contact DTV to receive toll-free authorization. I received a PM earlier from a customer that told me the reps at DTV were a little confused about to how do this, but it is something they've owned the responsibility of generating for at least 5 years.
A chat with a DTV CSR is no walk in the park I might add. My last call to replace/activate 1 unit took 3 CSR's and 65 minutes. Ask them something about TiVo and most will reply 'What???, How about a DirecTV DVR.'

If DTV owned the responsibility of generating for the last 5 years, why 'all of a sudden' are the TiVo servers not responding when the initial 800# call is made to TiVo and not DirecTV?

Unless I am missing something here.....maybe I am just confused and don't know what the he** I am doing anymore.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #70
bbristow
Member Since 2003

I had the exact same problem of TiVo initial call number not answering on my new TiVo HD unit!!!! At least the TiVo lady told me about using a local number in the prefix area to dial that, then you get the list of local numbers to set up from there.

I guess DTV doesn't want to hand out this info when they can force you to take delivery of the non-TiVo box!
bbristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #71
RFSmith

Quote:
Jerry, it's been my experience DTV reps are in a constant state of confusion...

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #72
shibby191

Unfortunately the D* reps are probably not even trained on Tivo anymore since they haven't sold an SD DirecTivo in over 3 years now and 2 years for the HD unit. With such high turnover in the customer service industry there are probably very few reps left with D* that even know what a Tivo unit looks like let alone how to support one.
shibby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #73
bhihifi

I moved a Tivo hr10-250 from one location to another and could not get it to dial out. d* rep tried to have me change modem speeds with no luck. Also tried the prefix hack and still didn't get a successful connection. Local phone lines never connect faster than 24kbps. Should I use some other dialing code in addition to the new local 7 digit number?
bhihifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #74
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

Try adding 1+area code to the 7 digit number. Or did you already?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #75
popgrowl

I understand Direct TV and TiVo are no longer working together to provide new integrated Direct TV TiVo units and consequetly getting a new integrated TiVo unit is no longer feasible. I have two of these older integrated TiVo units which I like very much - if I need to replace them or expand to a third unit, what are my options and what are the drawbacks? I see where the DVR units Direct TV is now offering in place of TiVo are not well received (no pun intended). What are the limitations of a stand alone TiVo? Is there any hope DTV and TiVo will rekindle their relationship? I'm looking for a simple, non technical overview of the DVR situation re: Direct TV.

Thanks,
popgrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #76
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You can still find the integrated TiVo boxes on the used market. I would take comments on the new DirecTV boxes with a shaker of salt, especially if you read them here. Most people like them, some don't. I have some of each and find them - different. Each has advantages and disadvantages. If you're into HD, then the new boxes are a definite plus.

With a standalone DVR, you lose dual tuners, Dolby Digital, direct recording of the satellite signal (hence lower picture quality for more disk space usage) and pay much higher monthly fees. You gain the networking features.

Don't hold your breath for a rekindling of the relationship.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #77
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
You can still find the integrated TiVo boxes on the used market. I would take comments on the new DirecTV boxes with a shaker of salt, especially if you read them here. Most people like them, some don't. I have some of each and find them - different. Each has advantages and disadvantages. If you're into HD, then the new boxes are a definite plus.
You don't specify R15s or HR20s. Seems people are happier with their HR20s than their R15s. If I paid anything over the receiver fees for my R15s they'd be back at DirecTV now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
With a standalone DVR, you lose dual tuners, Dolby Digital, direct recording of the satellite signal (hence lower picture quality for more disk space usage) and pay much higher monthly fees. You gain the networking features.
None of this is true for the Series3 units (Except higher monthly fees - Granted they do not work with satellite, but you do not specify that, only 'a standalone DVR').
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #78
DallasTIVO

After a HD failure I just installed a new HD from Weaknees. The 800 number is still not working, so I followed the instructions here, and that worked. Is Tivo still working on this?
DallasTIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #79
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
None of this is true for the Series3 units (Except higher monthly fees - Granted they do not work with satellite, but you do not specify that, only 'a standalone DVR').
The context was clear to me that it was using a standalone TiVo with DirecTV.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #80
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I've been told that this may have been resolved. Please test and confirm at your earliest opportunity.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #81
HiDefGator

Mine is still failing in the 352 area code.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #82
kcole

I had to change the number on my unit last night.
kcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #83
Televisionary

I just gave my R10 to my Dad. He already had an R6000 and two plain receivers, so I swapped out one of the plain receivers. Problem is, he lives in another state with another area code, so we ran into the "Service Not Responding" issue too. It is currently not fixed as of April 12, and I couldn't get the OP's trick to work, even when varying the Dial Tone and Phone Available settings.

Fortunately, everything's working except the dialing out. Still, I want to get this fixed somehow.

The one thing I didn't do is add the "1" before the area code. In his state (Massachusetts) those calls usually won't go through. I suppose it's worth another try. The instructions were a little confusing, at least for an R10, because there are two call prefix settings, one to disable call waiting, and one for using a PBX, I think.

Last edited by Televisionary : 04-13-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo
Televisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #84
Televisionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by zudo View Post
Just did an initial setup, following the first poster's directions only it wouldn't work until I put Phone Availability back to Off and Dial Tone back to On.

Since it was the first dial-in (looking up dial in numbers for my area?) there were no list of numbers to choose so i don't know what number it was trying to dial. I inserted a number for my area (16022318686) into the prefix and it worked for the two calls it needed to enable the recording function on my R10 DTivo.

Thanks.
Which prefix did you use on your R10, the call waiting prefix, or the other one?

Thanks!

PS> I'm all fixed now, though other R10 owners might want to know the answer. Like oboebjt, I just got lucky one time during a regular setup call to the toll-free number!

Last edited by Televisionary : 04-15-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: problem resolved.
Televisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #85
wascallywabbit

still the same

as of 4/15/08 the situation continues. spoke to a "resolution" person and while she did not in so many words confirm this situation exists she did not deny it. she immediately issued me credit for an r-15 unit which they had shipped to replace my TiVo and made a note that i should refuse it and have it go back to DTV.

My thanks for positing the work around. It worked like a charm
Wascallywabbit
wascallywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #86
oboebjt

I did a "clear and delete" on a dying Series 1 Sat T-60 yesterday. I got hung up on the initial dial-in but after retrying about 10 times it finally connected and gave me the local numbers. Then I chose a local number and had the same problem. Again patience and about 10 tries got me through.
oboebjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #87
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

UPDATE: It's extremely frustrating that it's taking the telcos this long to figure things out, but the issue is not as straightforward as it would seem. Reports like oboebjt's show that if someone just keeps trying (10+ times) it may eventually connect. As such, the overall call volume drops are intermittent (we're already only a small part of the total call volume through their systems) and makes it hard for them to pinpoint the cause.

Keep in mind:
* Toll free phone connections are a small part of TiVo's overall call volume, as most customers that make a daily call do so using a local number.
* Many customers perform Guided Setup using a phone line on any given day and are not having this problem.

Please continue to PM me with the phone number your DVR is calling from as well as the time of day (including timezone). We're trying to feed those examples on a daily basis, so it helps to get examples the same day to help them figure out what's going on.

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited by TiVoJerry : 04-16-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #88
rappin

After a "clear and reset" last night, I did five attempts between 1:00 and 2:00 this morning and another half dozen requests between 8:00 and 9:00 with no love. My area code prefix is 801.

I am eager to get home and try the workaround.
rappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #89
rappin

The workaround worked for me.

Thanks for the great workaround. My Tivo is recording again. WooHoo!

I hope the telco figures this out quickly. DirecTV may not be deliberately taking advantage of the situation, but the net effect is not good for Tivo. DTV Tech Support is just sending out new (non-Tivo) DVRs to solve the problem.

That is what they did for me. Hopefully my Tivo will keep working and I can send the new one back.
rappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #90
RFSmith

Still not working out here in the sticks....