TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #3121
ilh

I assume they are talking about SDV. There are plenty of threads here, including a sticky in this very forum, that discuss SDV.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #3122
playsccr

im in southern california with time warner....and i just purchased a TiVo HD TCD652160...however, they are saying that this specific model will not work with Motorola M cards that they have?? however, they cant seem to get any S cards to work?? any idea what to do?? they came out and tried the M cards and their support said there is a specific issue with this model and their m cards?

Last edited by playsccr : 04-02-2008 at 02:27 PM.
playsccr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #3123
obsidian

In Waukesha, WI I just got done with a cable card install. The tech was only able to get a single stream card in slot 1 working. He had 2 other cards but couldn't get either to work in slot 2. Disappointing but they're sending another tech out friday so hopefully they can finish their job this time.
obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #3124
bitfactory

Cablecard / TivoHD - channel drops

Hi folks,

I've been humming along with my TivoHD and TWC M-Card in Cincinnati for a few weeks and I've noticed some trouble cropping up.

Specifically, today when I turned on my TV, there was a blue Tivo message at the bottom of a black screen that said, "Finding Channel info" or something like that. When flipping around I noticed some channels were fine and some were just black with no audio.

Restarting the Tivo fixed it (after restarting I got the 'Acquiring Channel Information' swirly ball). Everything seems fine now, but this is the second time it's happened in two weeks - anyone have an idea why it's happening?

Thanks much.
bitfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #3125
jbmdharris

I was at one of the Cincinnati TWC offices today discussing options (like cable card) and I learned that a big software update went out last night. They updated SA8300HDC boxes to Navigator 2.4.9_3 last night. Perhaps this is related and something on the head-end changed as part of the upgrade.
jbmdharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #3126
inahaz

M-Card success in Central Ohio

Yesterday I had a very smooth install of M-Cards on two TivoHD boxes. No issues at all. I will add that I had the Tivo boxes hooked up for about a week prior, so they had all the current updates. Installer also commented that he had updated the cards he brought prior to the visit.

With 2 TivoHD's (switching from DirecTv to cable), a digital telephone install, and Roadrunner... it only took about 90 minutes. Maybe even less. We had a very good installer. (Pataskala area).
inahaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #3127
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmdharris View Post
I was at one of the Cincinnati TWC offices today discussing options (like cable card) and I learned that a big software update went out last night. They updated SA8300HDC boxes to Navigator 2.4.9_3 last night. Perhaps this is related and something on the head-end changed as part of the upgrade.
I started having problems after the same upgrade in Dayton. I had to call Time Warner to come out to hopefully fix it.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #3128
Microman66

Came home today, and was having trouble with pixellation. MSNBC. Called Time Warner, and TIVO. Tivo Suggestion having TW give cards a refresh. Did that. Checked the cables, etc. Now MSNBC seems ok, but half of the HD channels in the 402 to 425 seem to have pixellation, and have a poor signal of around 65 to 75.
Microman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #3129
erousey

TW in Columbia, SC

Called today to set up an appointment with TW here only to end up in an argument with the phone rep, who insisted that cablecards woudn't work in Tivos ("Cablecards are only for our DVR's. Tivos won't work on our network"). After going around with him for a while, I finally did get him to set up an appointment for next Monday (God only knows what he put on the work order). I just hope the tech they send out isn't as stupid as this guy was.

I wish I had recorded the call. Some of the stuff this guy said was unbelievable ("Why would we support someone else's DVR?" to which I resonded "Uh, because the FCC says so?")

I really miss the old Tivo interface (I used to have a series 2) and I hope I can finaly get it back again. The TW DVR sucks in comparison.
erousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #3130
bxojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by erousey View Post
Called today to set up an appointment with TW here only to end up in an argument with the phone rep, who insisted that cablecards woudn't work in Tivos ("Cablecards are only for our DVR's. Tivos won't work on our network").
Wow. This sort of thing amazes me (and I've had similar experiences, though not quite that outrageous).

I really wonder sometimes what the problem is. I've had universally positive experiences dealing with TWC's technical staff; their engineers and technicians seem to be smart people who know what they're doing. Obviously, phone reps can't be expected to have the same depth of expertise, but why can't they at least refrain from saying things that are actually wrong?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I don't believe that TWC is telling its reps intentionally to lie. I just think they must have some serious deficiencies in their training program.
bxojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #3131
um1990
Used Register

Portland Maine TW Cable Card Install & HD Box Swap

My cable card install in Cumberland County/Portland, Maine went flawlessly a couple weeks ago. Installer brought 2 M-Cards, First one worked fine. After returning from a few days away from home, I did need to have the card 'hit' and got some channels back that had gone away (I had returned the SA8300 we had on the way out of town, so maybe it was a billing/data entry thing)

The interesting part starts today - I had to get a replacement HD from TiVo, and after receiving it (a few days late due to a Train Derailment - UPS) I called TW to have the card re-paired to the new box. The CSR said I would need to have (another) service call to my house - I explained that all I needed them to do was change the Host ID on their computer and re-hit the card. She checked with someone, came back and said "No, you need a service call, there's something wrong with your equipment" - After losing it a little, I asked to speak with a supervisor, who said they already did what I asked & it didn't work... I told him that I never gave them the "Host ID" that needed to be changed, so they couldn't have done what I was asking for.... Long story short, I was connected to the local "Level 3" support, and spoke with Bob, who not only listened to me, but figured out where he needed to make the change (changing 8 digits on a setup screen) and all was well within minutes of reaching him.

The moral of the story for me is to ask for Level 3 support asap when needing to re-pair a cable card.

Sorry to ramble, but the other thing was that the unencrypted locals worked fine even before the re-pairing (re-mapped to the appropriate channel numbers), so if I go to basic cable for locals only, as long as I can keep the card I have, I shouldn't need to deal with customer service as long as the card doesn't die.
um1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #3132
59er
TiVotee

CableCard Firmware Upgrade in NYC

Last night, at about 1:10 am, my Tivo HD suddenly started a firmware upgrade on the SA M-card. It took about 30 to 45 minutes, and when it was done I had a black background on everything and couldn't play any recorded video.

I restarted the Tivo and video was displaying again, although it took a few minutes before it re-acquired channels.

(FYI, I've had this box and the one cablecard since 2/23. This is the first firmware upgrade that I am aware of since the one during installation.)

Last edited by 59er : 04-08-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: To add headline
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #3133
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeckert219 View Post
I got the Woot! special (TiVoHD) and asked for an M-card when I called for the appointment. (Here is San Diego, they won't allow you to self-install.) She didn't know what I was talking about...said they only support single direction. I asked her to note it for the installer--one multi-stream card.

Installer showed up according to schedule. Said he had only done 1 or 2 TiVo boxes previously. Had an M-card with him. Popped it in, let me "drive" the TiVo setup. Called it in... and it all worked first time. He left in under 10 minutes. Cool!

After he left, I went to install the WD 1TB that I got from Buy.com... but the drive was DOA. That's for another post...
Funny, I just picked up a TivoHD today and called TWC in San Diego and the chick told me the same thing, that they only had S-cards. I did the same thing and asked her to note that I wanted an M-card, I also asked to have it noted I want a Technician who was familiar with doing CC's in Tivos. We'll see on Friday. Also, I'm not sure about other TWC areas, but I just noticed on the San Diego site that they just added Discovery HD and History HD! I'm so freaking happy about that. I was very very close to switching to U-verse since they have those channels in HD and those are basically the only channels I watch. Now I'll be able to record stuff with my shiny new THD in HD!!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #3134
cdeckert219
technogeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesTheMute View Post
I just noticed on the San Diego site that they just added Discovery HD and History HD! I'm so freaking happy about that. I was very very close to switching to U-verse since they have those channels in HD and those are basically the only channels I watch. Now I'll be able to record stuff with my shiny new THD in HD!!
I hope I'm not bursting your bubble, but... I haven't been able to get DiscoveryHD and History HD. They have a disclaimer that not all channels are available with cable cards only. I assumed it was because of switched video. I have an installer coming out for the 2nd box and figured I'd ask him whether or not I should be getting those channels.
Series 2 TCD540040 refurb w/300gb
cdeckert219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #3135
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeckert219 View Post
I hope I'm not bursting your bubble, but... I haven't been able to get DiscoveryHD and History HD. They have a disclaimer that not all channels are available with cable cards only. I assumed it was because of switched video. I have an installer coming out for the 2nd box and figured I'd ask him whether or not I should be getting those channels.
See, and that's complete bull**** if you ask me....ALL of their cable boxes and DVRs have cableCARDS in them now, so there's no reason why the Tivo shouldn't work with SDV channels. So much for their "advanced fiber network" Good thing I didn't get the THD based on the fact they added those channels. I found out after I bought it when I went to the TWC SD site to get the number to call for the CC installation.

I'll just have to keep the HD-DVR, I guess...hope I can keep that and have the cableCARD as well

Last edited by FrancesTheMute : 04-09-2008 at 08:23 AM.
FrancesTheMute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #3136
59er
TiVotee

NYC Additional HD Channels

From TWC NYC's website :
Quote:
Effective April 30th we will launch Sports on Demand on ch. 1023. In Manhattan we will launch Food Network HD on ch. 750, HGTV HD on ch. 764, Hallmark Movie Channel HD on ch. 784, Animal Planet HD on ch. 786, Travel Channel HD on ch. 788, and Versus/Golf HD on 794. In Brooklyn and Queens we will launch A&E HD on ch. 746, ABC Family HD on ch. 738, Animal Planet HD on ch. 786, CNN HD on ch. 710, Discovery HD on ch. 766, Disney HD on 749, ESPN News HD on ch. 792, Food Network HD on ch. 750, Fox Business News HD on ch. 743, Hallmark Movie Channel HD on ch. 784, HGTV HD on ch. 764 , History Channel HD on ch. 740, The Learning Channel HD on 752, Lifetime Movies HD on ch. 762, M HD will launch on ch. 720, MLB HD on ch. 791 and 445, NHL Network HD on ch. 795, the previously announced NY1 HD will launch on ch. 701, Science Channel HD on ch. 775, TMC HD on ch.778, Toon Disney HD on ch. 787, Travel Channel HD on ch.788, Versus/Golf HD on ch. 794, Weather Channel HD on ch. 772 and WE will change from DTV service to Standard Service. In Mount Vernon we will launch ABC Family HD on ch.739, A&E HD on ch. 745, Animal Planet HD on ch. 786, Disney HD on ch. 737, Food Network HD on ch. 718, Hallmark Movie Channel HD on ch. 784, HGTV HD on ch. 752, History Channel HD on ch. 747, Lifetime Movies Network HD on ch. 765, Travel Channel HD on ch. 763, Toon Disney HD on ch. 787, and Versus/Golf HD on ch. 794.

Effective May 1, 2008 in Brooklyn and Queens we will launch Fox News HD on ch. 744.
Progress...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #3137
bxojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesTheMute View Post
See, and that's complete bull**** if you ask me....ALL of their cable boxes and DVRs have cableCARDS in them now, so there's no reason why the Tivo shouldn't work with SDV channels.
It's not that simple, which is one reason why I think it's important to maintain the distinction between "CableCARDs" and "CableCARD hosts."

CableCARDs themselves have no problem with SDV. But the current spec for third-party CableCARD host devices (like TiVos) does not encompass two-way communication. That means that cable companies can build proprietary STBs with CableCARDs that are capable of accessing bidirectional services like SDV, but third-party manufacturers like TiVo cannot.

Even if the spec allowed it, there's no practical way TiVo could do it, because of the absence of a standard. There are multiple different proprietary systems in use by different cable companies, so a TiVo that worked with one cable system would not work with another. The cable company doesn't have that problem, because they only have to supply STBs for their own system.

Last edited by bxojr : 04-09-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clarified terminology
bxojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #3138
TracerBullet

I woke up this morning to find that all my cable channels, except for what comes through when you have basic cable, were gone. This happened once before about six months ago, and I had to get TiVo on the phone with Time Warner to get them to rehit the cards. Argh!
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #3139
59er
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
I woke up this morning to find that all my cable channels, except for what comes through when you have basic cable, were gone. This happened once before about six months ago, and I had to get TiVo on the phone with Time Warner to get them to rehit the cards. Argh!
When that happened to me, I was told by TWC to just unplug and reboot. I rebooted without unplugging, and the problem was fixed instantly (if you call 5 minutes to reboot "instantly!").
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #3140
bobcounter

Aloha,
I just got my TiVo HD yesterday and when I called the Oahu Hawaii TWC office today they told me they do not offer HD content on their CableCards here. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggest people I should contact?
thanks!
bobcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #3141
GiantsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcounter View Post
Aloha,
I just got my TiVo HD yesterday and when I called the Oahu Hawaii TWC office today they told me they do not offer HD content on their CableCards here. Does anyone have any experience with this or suggest people I should contact?
thanks!
The problem is Switched Digital Video. OTW moved many of their channels (including most HD channels) to SDV last year. Tivos with cablecards (Tivo HD and S3) cannot tune SDV channels. There are detailed discussions of the issue at (1) TWC Hawaii moving all HD to SDV: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=364085 (2) S3's in Hawaii?: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=321119 and (3) SDV FAQ: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703

In a nutshell, what Oceanic told you is not 100% correct -- you can receive the local HD broadcasts (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABS, PBS) and any subscription channels with HD that you may subscribe to (HBO-HD, MAX-HD, Showtime-HD, etc.) But you cannot get any other HD channels like HDNET, ESPN-HD, etc. So if all you want is local channels, you can call OTW back and insist that they schedule a cablecard install. Depending on the rep you get on the phone this might be easy, or it might be a pain. They are obligated to give you the cablecards if you want them, but not all CS reps know that. But if you want the other HD channels, you'll have to use their DVR for now.

The situation will ultimately be resolved (pun intended) by the Tuning Resolver. This will be a USB add-on that will allow Tivos to use SDV channels. But it's still awhile off -- how far off is the subject of countless other threads, esp. the SDV FAQ.

We all feel your pain.
GiantsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #3142
poisonpill

Hello all. I currently have TWC in NYC and the Explorer 8300HDC box. This thing is atrocious. Really just plain garbage.

I'm wondering a) what's the process for going tivo? and b) is it really worth it?

From reading, I realize I need to go cablecards, but then I would lose HBO on-demand right? How is the tivo HD series 3 box? Fast? It's definitely a big change to go from the TWC box to a $500-600+ tivo.

Thanks.
poisonpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #3143
mrobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehchan View Post
Just wanted to report a successful cablecard installation in Costa Mesa, CA. I made sure to call CS to leave notes on my work order for the installer to bring lots of M-Cards, and he did just that. Luckily, the first one he installed worked great, and I had all my channels within 10 minutes of his calling in the codes. The guy seemed to know what he was doing with the Tivo, even though he was a contractor, so I consider myself lucky. I only wish we had the same lineup as D*, but after they screwed my family with their draconian contract policy, i'm not dealing with them again. Tivo works great for me! (phew!)

Ed

I don't suppose you have the name of that contractor handy do you? I've had 3 different techs out here with 6 different cable cards, and have yet to get a working installation.
mrobold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #3144
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

I had a successful CC install in San Diego, CA with Time Warner Cable. Guy showed up, had an M-Card, even though the girl on the phone when I set up the appointment was *very* sure that they didn't have M-Cards. Tech popped it into the Tivo, called up the office, read off a few numbers and everything was working fine. I redid the guided setup after he left. All was good for about an hour or so and then everything went gray on the screen. I couldn't change to any channels and even the Tivo home screen was all gray in the background. I noticed a connection was in progress, took a really long time to load the data. After the connection was done, everything was still all gray, so I did a reboot and everything was good after that. I can get all the HD channels my provider has, including the new DiscoveryHD and HistoryHD, but I've noticed that a LOT of channels aren't showing up right on the guide. I get a "to be announced" for the program information, but the shows display fine. This is also happening on a lot of non-HD channels, mostly the ones around the regular Discovery and History channels. Probably a total of 15 to 20 channels are like this. I'm guessing this has something to do with SDV. Does anyone think there's anything I can do about this? call TWC and have them do something on their end? This kinda sucks because a lot of the channels that I would want to record stuff on I can't because it's not pulling down any program information. Good thing I kept my TWC HD-DVR so I can still record those shows.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #3145
FrancesTheMute
Resident Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonpill View Post
Hello all. I currently have TWC in NYC and the Explorer 8300HDC box. This thing is atrocious. Really just plain garbage.

I'm wondering a) what's the process for going tivo? and b) is it really worth it?

From reading, I realize I need to go cablecards, but then I would lose HBO on-demand right? How is the tivo HD series 3 box? Fast? It's definitely a big change to go from the TWC box to a $500-600+ tivo.

Thanks.
Yes, you would lose HBO on demand and ALL other on-demand channels, as there's no way for the Tivo to send the signal back to the cable company to order the show. See my post just above, I just got a TivoHD and I kept my 8300HDC (which is total crap, I agree).

To get a tivo you just need to buy the STB somewhere (best buy, circuit city, directly from tivo at tivo.com, etc) and hook it up to your TV. Then you go to tivo site and register the box and sign up for whichever plan you want (either monthly or a 1, 2, or 3 year in advance) Then you turn on the Tivo, go thru the guided setup (which is super easy) and then you have Tivo.

As for whether its worth it....that depends on the type of programming you watch. Since you mentioned HBO on demand, it seems like you like to watch a lot of on-demand type stuff, in which case, Tivo would not be worth it
Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #3146
59er
TiVotee

You could always get a basic non-DVR box from TWC for the on-demand stuff.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #3147
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooutt View Post
hey - just wondering how you are liking the TiVo so far? I'm in SE WI also and am really sick of the PoS SA8300 DVR and want to take the TiVo plunge

thanks.
I live in SE WI as well ... I have on order a TiVo HD and an appointment for cable cards in the new two weeks ... did you go through this process already?
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #3148
spolebitski

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
In Waukesha, WI I just got done with a cable card install. The tech was only able to get a single stream card in slot 1 working. He had 2 other cards but couldn't get either to work in slot 2. Disappointing but they're sending another tech out friday so hopefully they can finish their job this time.
I live in SE WI ... how did this go for you? As you can see from my above post I have a TiVo HD on the way with an cable care appointment ... let me know if everything is working or what I am looking to avoid

Were you charged any fee's for the install (i was told 40 for the 1st card, 10 for the second card then was told 30 for the entire install now its down to 20) I can't wait for the bill and see how everything is billed
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #3149
whatwhat

TiVo HD and TWC cablecard activation process

As an FYI, I recently did an activation with TWC with a TiVo HD with two cablecards. At first, only the HD network channels and those below 100 worked. After a call to tech support and a tech visit, they sent out another tech, this one from the head end. He took the two cable cards out of the TiVo and, one at a time, placed them in a cablecard equipped LCD TV. He then called in and had them hit the card (i.e. send the initial EMM). Once both cards had been hit, he placed them into the TiVo and called and asked them to send an "init" (his term) to each of the cards. As soon as the init hit each card the missing channels began working. This is the same procedure that had been tried with the cards in the TiVo to start with, however it had not worked until the initial "hit" was performed in the other TV, He could offer no explanation as to why it did not work in the TiVo, but in my area he was going to make the cablecard procedure going forward to be -
1) issue cablecard to customer, enter cable card into into customer account
2) have a tech place the customer cards into a working cablecard system in their shop and have the initial EMM's sent
3) take the cards to the customer site, place them in the TiVo, and have the "init" messages sent.

At no time was any of the host ID information from my TiVo unit entered manually into their system, according to the tech that info is transmitted to their systems during the paring process. I have read the exact opposite, but that is what he said and it seemed to work in my situation.

I'm posting this only as an FYI, this is the procedure that got my TiVo working with dual cablecards on TWC. They were more than helpful in trying to get this to work, however everyone I spoke with said that anything with cablecards is tocuh-and-go... they have gotten everything to work eventually, but with each different system it is some other issue.

From my personal observation I suspect the TiVo is not properly sending the EMM's to the cablecards. To see the same cards perform properly in another unit during the initial configuration, then place those same cards into the TiVo and they start working seems to point at some interaction issue between the TiVo and the cablecards during the initial configuration.

I hope this info. proves useful to others in their efforts to get their TiVo's to work with cablecards with TWC. As for me, I am very pleased, the system works fantastic. I only hope that one day this can all be done without any tech support calls or truck rolls
whatwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #3150
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
At first, only the HD network channels and those below 100 worked. After a call to tech support and a tech visit, they sent out another tech, this one from the head end. He took the two cable cards out of the TiVo and, one at a time, placed them in a cablecard equipped LCD TV. He then called in and had them hit the card (i.e. send the initial EMM). Once both cards had been hit, he placed them into the TiVo and called and asked them to send an "init" (his term) to each of the cards. As soon as the init hit each card the missing channels began working. This is the same procedure that had been tried with the cards in the TiVo to start with, however it had not worked until the initial "hit" was performed in the other TV, He could offer no explanation as to why it did not work in the TiVo, but in my area he was going to make the cablecard procedure going forward to be -
1) issue cablecard to customer, enter cable card into into customer account
2) have a tech place the customer cards into a working cablecard system in their shop and have the initial EMM's sent
3) take the cards to the customer site, place them in the TiVo, and have the "init" messages sent.

At no time was any of the host ID information from my TiVo unit entered manually into their system, according to the tech that info is transmitted to their systems during the paring process. I have read the exact opposite, but that is what he said and it seemed to work in my situation.
Since TiVos don't have the hardware to send information upstream, there is no way that host info could be sent during the pairing process. There are two different steps here. One is "authentication", that is, what channels will the cable card decrypt for the host. This step is independent of the host, and is based on what package of channels you have bought from your cable company. You can move a cablecard from one host to another, and the same channels will be authenticated.

The other step is "pairing" for copy protection, and is a digital-rights procedure to keep you from copying the content in a manner that the copyright holder doesn't want you to. This step is host-specific; moving a card from one host to another will break pairing. All cable systems use authentication, but not all use copy protection. As long as copy protection is not turned on, cards can be freely moved around, but when/if they turn on copy protection, then you won't be able to see the copy-protected programs.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote