TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Stevel is correct that the 800# connection during setup is to TiVo servers, despite what is visible on the screens. DTV owns the product so they didn't want customers confused with language that might state otherwise.

Connections to that number have not been purposely disconnected. I've passed along this report to our engineering folk to look into it. I'll follow up once I hear anything or need more information.

marrone, as a side note, TiVo folk like myself only pass through the forums on occasion as time allows. An important issue like this could've gone unnoticed for quite some time if Gunnyman hadn't sent me a private message.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #32
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon View Post
/etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc.Sequence_150.CheckForDebug.sh
Thanks. That was fast. This looks like the salient part of the file on my system. Do I just need to change the one false entry to true?

echo "Look for debug board"
export DEBUG_BOARD=false
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #33
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I need a couple of TSNs sent to me as an example. Please PM ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #34
Gunnyman
Peekols

Thanks for looking into it Jerry!
Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 PM   #35
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby191 View Post
Actually, CIR mostly works now (and the reason it wasn't before is because older receivers like the DirecTivo's died on the extra data in the stream to make it work). They have been rolling it out over the past few months. Last I checked it last week every sports channel, sports package and movie channel I don't subscribe to was greyed out.

And with the advanced options now available you can actually do an audorecord search on a specific channel or channel range only. So I've got a search for Red Wings Live, not post on channel 636. Returns exactly what I want, Red Wings games only and only the first showing and not repeats along with the live pregame shows but not the postgame shows. Perfect.

DBSTalk, tons of info. Cutting Edge forum. Post your ideas on how to make the feature better because DirecTV is taking user ideas and updating the feature every week in the new builds. Get involved before it goes national.
It is not even close on the stations I receive and it does not work properly with OTA stations. The option to specify only certain is only useful if the program I want is on a limited number of stations. Your sports example works fine if the item you want to record is on a very limited number of channels. What if I want to record "Gamera" on any channel it may appear? I can not setup on autorecord to exclude all the channels I do not receive. I also should be able to decide for myself what channels I want the DVR to record and not have to specify it on every autorecord search. I have suggested plenty of times on the other forum to make the CIR user editable... Until it is it is mostly useless for me.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #36
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
I need a couple of TSNs sent to me as an example. Please PM ASAP.
TSN ? where would I find it?

why would it matter? any SD DTivo that tries the initial dial in seems to fail to connect to the service.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #37
Gunnyman
Peekols

TSN=Tivo Service Number
it can be found on the back of your receiver or in System Information.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #38
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
It is not even close on the stations I receive and it does not work properly with OTA stations. The option to specify only certain is only useful if the program I want is on a limited number of stations. Your sports example works fine if the item you want to record is on a very limited number of channels. What if I want to record "Gamera" on any channel it may appear? I can not setup on autorecord to exclude all the channels I do not receive. I also should be able to decide for myself what channels I want the DVR to record and not have to specify it on every autorecord search. I have suggested plenty of times on the other forum to make the CIR user editable... Until it is it is mostly useless for me.
CIR is getting there. I didn't mean to say it was all the way there. I think we all agree there should be an editable list but there isn't. Sure the improvements haven't helped you but they are helping a lot of people and the potential is sky high to be honest. We'll see if they can deliver on it.
shibby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #39
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Do I just need to change the one false entry to true?

echo "Look for debug board"
export DEBUG_BOARD=false
yep
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #40
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
why would it matter? any SD DTivo that tries the initial dial in seems to fail to connect to the service.
Just a guess but maybe tivo wants to look at the log files of units that had the problem.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #41
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Stevel is correct that the 800# connection during setup is to TiVo servers, despite what is visible on the screens. DTV owns the product so they didn't want customers confused with language that might state otherwise.

Connections to that number have not been purposely disconnected. I've passed along this report to our engineering folk to look into it. I'll follow up once I hear anything or need more information.

marrone, as a side note, TiVo folk like myself only pass through the forums on occasion as time allows. An important issue like this could've gone unnoticed for quite some time if Gunnyman hadn't sent me a private message.
Thanks for looking into it.

And sorry if it I sounded terse. It really wasn't meant that way, it was more of a "I hope someone at Tivo can" as opposed to "Someone BETTER!"

I'll send you a TSN if I have problems once I try it tonight.

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #42
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

So far only have one TSN and it hadn't been connected for over 6 months, so I have no real data to draw from. It would be extremely helpful to get more data to chase this down since it has not reached epidemic levels enough to draw attention on its own, and an initial test from headquarters has not failed.

Please send me a private message with your TSN & the dial-in numbers you have tried.
Go to System Information and give me the TFA status as well.

If you're not comfortable sending a TSN for whatever reason, please post the dial-in numbers you have unsuccessfully tried using as a dial prefix.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #43
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

If the users having problems are unable to connect I am guessing you would not have a record of the TSN?

In addition to the dial in numbers being called and the TFA status might you want the phone number being called from? I ask this because most 800 numbers have ANI on them and you should be able to track if a number has called you and not been able to connect.

Of course some people might not want to give out their home phone numbers but I would hope somebody who is having this problem would. If I was having this issue I would give you all the information but my DirecTivo's have not had to dial that number in years and I don't want to do a clear and delete everything to test it.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 AM   #44
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Tivo doesn't have a test unit to troubleshoot this?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #45
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Tivo doesn't have a test unit to troubleshoot this?
TiVoJerry already said they could not replicate the problem in their test environment, which might be why he is asking for help from users experiencing the problem. Perhaps it does not affect everyone.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #46
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

We've been testing and experienced a failure or two but do not have a pattern yet. I'd been hoping for TSNs and/or numbers so I can see what numbers these units are calling. I need raw data from those experiencing the issue and have yet to get anything I can use.

At the very least, I really need you guys to list the numbers you're trying to reach directly. ANI information (number you are calling from) can be sent to me directly via PM since it could certainly be useful. Right now we don't have enough information to narrow our focus. Help us to help you.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #47
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just sent my info - sorry it took me a while to get it together.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #48
RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby191 View Post
CIR is getting there. I didn't mean to say it was all the way there. I think we all agree there should be an editable list but there isn't. Sure the improvements haven't helped you but they are helping a lot of people and the potential is sky high to be honest. We'll see if they can deliver on it.
That should be D*'s new motto - 'Getting there' I can remember when Earl was doing the reviews of the R15 2 or 3 years ago, and all of the stuff that was "gonna be there soon"... still seems to be the situation today... 'just wait until the next release'...
RS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #49
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Maybe the problem can be solved by posting the correct 800 number the unit should call for initial setup? That can be put in the prefix the same as the Tivo POP number. There can't be too many people who need to redo the initial setup on an old piece of hardware. I've had the problem with an old Series 1 and a SD-DVR80. I got around it by setting the machine up to use the Internet instead of dial-up, but obviously many users can't do that kind of thing.

I'm thinking that a lot of regular phone carriers are secretly using VOIP or altering bandwidth to voice only ranges and screwing up data calls. The problem may be completely outside of Tivo or DirectTV.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #50
kb7sei

If you're hacking the unit anyway, install the nocall hack and be done with it. I have 2 units running that have never called in. Not even for the initial setup. You can't steal service this way as that is linked to the access card, so it's not even immoral.
kb7sei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #51
zudo

Just did an initial setup, following the first poster's directions only it wouldn't work until I put Phone Availability back to Off and Dial Tone back to On.

Since it was the first dial-in (looking up dial in numbers for my area?) there were no list of numbers to choose so i don't know what number it was trying to dial. I inserted a number for my area (16022318686) into the prefix and it worked for the two calls it needed to enable the recording function on my R10 DTivo.

Thanks.

Last edited by zudo : 04-01-2008 at 09:54 AM.
zudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #52
ljdandad

Thanks for the timely info. I just replaced a HD in an old Series 1 and without your post, I would still be trying to get the first setup call complete. Appreciate the help.
ljdandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #53
Dkerr24
Lost in Big Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7sei View Post
If you're hacking the unit anyway, install the nocall hack and be done with it. I have 2 units running that have never called in. Not even for the initial setup. You can't steal service this way as that is linked to the access card, so it's not even immoral.
Best advice in this thread. It's like working to rig up a 8-track player to use in a 2009 Toyota.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #54
lew

DTivo units won't install new software, that's D/L from the satellite, until the unit is told to install the software via a phone call.

Not ever customer, not even every hacker, is comfortable manually running an upgrade script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7sei View Post

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #55
Billy Bob Boy
What Me Worry???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerr24 View Post
Best advice in this thread. It's like working to rig up a 8-track player to use in a 2009 Toyota.
You Have something against 8 track players I have one and a phonograph in my 2009 toyota. I also have a pc with a 100meg Hard drive running windows 95 in there. It is right next to the cell phone The Cell phone worked pretty good until I ran out of string!!
Billy Bob Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #56
flatcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob Boy View Post
You Have something against 8 track players I have one and a phonograph in my 2009 toyota
Like one of these?
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #57
RFSmith

First post...hello.

After the last upgrade to 6.3e my unit would no longer connect to whom-ever. The nag screen was getting old so I called DTV and couldn't get an answer to my problem. (what a surprise) I was forced to do a fresh install of 6.3a and nuke the call home feature. Not sure about my next move but I really don't like DTV's flavor of DVR.

BTW - I personally don't mind my viewing habits being sent to the homeworld if it helps the ratings of my favorite shows.
RFSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #58
DaveB

The dialing prefix fix worked for me to do the update local numbers call to finish activating the used HR10-250 I bought on EBay. Sent my info to Tivo Jerry in hopes they can permanently fix this so others don't suffer like I did until I found this dialing prefix fix.
Thanks for the fix,
Dave B
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #59
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Thanks for the updated info. I've passed it along for the engineers to research further.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #60
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm thinking it may have to do with the phone company muxing on the affected lines. A muxed phone line will maybe support 14400 and usually only 9600 speeds - too slow for the modems on DTVs end or that take too long to negotiate speed down to that level and the Dtivo's built-in modem times out and gives up.