TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #61
Berone

I'm still not having any success with encoding, but I think it's because I don't have proper settings. I'm trying to create an mp4 file for an ipod touch. Kevin gave me settings for it, but they're not working. Anyone else doing this and have proper settings?

Thanks,

Anthony
Berone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 AM   #62
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berone View Post
I'm still not having any success with encoding, but I think it's because I don't have proper settings. I'm trying to create an mp4 file for an ipod touch. Kevin gave me settings for it, but they're not working. Anyone else doing this and have proper settings?

Thanks,

Anthony
When you say not working, what exactly is the issue? I used the exact ffmpeg command I gave you on a small clip and was able to play back the resulting encoded file without a problem using Videolan VLC player. NOTE: It won't play back in Windows Media Player because I don't have the proper codecs. Videolan VLC has it's own built in codecs.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 AM   #63
nickhaas33

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's in the documentation how to do it. For Windows you can setup a shortcut that executes "wperl <path>\kmttg.pl" (substitute <path> with the path where you installed the program). wperl will not bring up a console window.

OK, I am running the .2d, but still for some reason the consoles for CURL,
FFMPEG, Tivodecode, etc still popup. They close after they finish, but is there a way to block these consoles? The console for KMTTG does not display because I am launching it with WPERL like you mention above.
It is just the helper apps that are popping up console windows.

Thanks
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #64
deVries

Question Not Listing Tivo Downloaded or Recorded Content in Folders

Hi,

In the recorded list whether downloaded or recorded by Tivo several items in folders do not show up on your job list when I refresh it to get new listings.

These recordings are on the Tivo play list inside its folder(s) and work fine on Tivo, but kmttg does not drill down to "see" or list these folder's contents. Why is it not listing everything downloaded or recorded?

I'm using version 2a.

Any ideas?
deVries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #65
Berone

Quote:
When you say not working, what exactly is the issue? I used the exact ffmpeg command I gave you on a small clip and was able to play back the resulting encoded file without a problem using Videolan VLC player. NOTE: It won't play back in Windows Media Player because I don't have the proper codecs. Videolan VLC has it's own built in codecs.
I downloaded Videolan VLC and it does, in fact, work there. In Nero (which is what I usually use to convert to mp4) it took a long time to start and then played video but no audio. Quicktime gives an error message "The movie contains some invalid data", itunes won't load the file (so I can't test it on the ipod).

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #66
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhaas33 View Post
OK, I am running the .2d, but still for some reason the consoles for CURL,
FFMPEG, Tivodecode, etc still popup. They close after they finish, but is there a way to block these consoles? The console for KMTTG does not display because I am launching it with WPERL like you mention above.
It is just the helper apps that are popping up console windows.

Thanks
OK gotcha, I think there is a way for me to suppress those as well - I'll look into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #67
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by deVries View Post
Hi,

In the recorded list whether downloaded or recorded by Tivo several items in folders do not show up on your job list when I refresh it to get new listings.

These recordings are on the Tivo play list inside its folder(s) and work fine on Tivo, but kmttg does not drill down to "see" or list these folder's contents. Why is it not listing everything downloaded or recorded?

I'm using version 2a.

Any ideas?
Note that kmttg will not display anything that is copy protected or currently recording on your Tivos since they are not eligible to download anyway. Could be those items that are not showing up are copy protected? You can check for example with Tivo Desktop if that's the case. I am considering in a future release showing these items in the list along with the others for information purposes only.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM   #68
deVries

Thumbs down Copy Protection Bummer...

Quote:
Note that kmttg will not display anything that is copy protected or currently recording on your Tivos since they are not eligible to download anyway. Could be those items that are not showing up are copy protected? You can check for example with Tivo Desktop if that's the case. I am considering in a future release showing these items in the list along with the others for information purposes only.
Yep, that's what's going on. It seems we can't even media stream it to another room. This is where MS MCE, Beyond TV, Sage can transfer video files or stream it without going around copy protection. We are given an extension to view copy protected files in other rooms with those programs but Tivo does not?

I guess something like a sling box or short range transmitter is needed to view that content elsewhere in the home???

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #69
moyekj

Version v0.2e just released:
------------------
v0.2e (03/31/2008)
------------------
BUG FIXES:
* Fix implemented to not allow multiple configuration windows.
* Console windows no longer appear if running with wperl in Windows.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #70
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by deVries View Post
Yep, that's what's going on. It seems we can't even media stream it to another room. This is where MS MCE, Beyond TV, Sage can transfer video files or stream it without going around copy protection. We are given an extension to view copy protected files in other rooms with those programs but Tivo does not?

I guess something like a sling box or short range transmitter is needed to view that content elsewhere in the home???

Any thoughts or ideas?
Next kmttg release will show copy protected and currently recording shows along with the others.

Slingbox + catcher is a good solution to this problem (especially with the upcoming Slingbox Pro HD), though kind of expensive.
For SD (NTSC) quality you can use RF modulators as a fairly cheap solution to get the signal to any room you run coax to.
For HD quality I don't think there are a lot of options right now. A long HDMI run will cost you dearly (and will require equalization). A long component cable run may do the trick but that's messy. I think wireless HDMI is in the works but that is a very expensive solution (and probably not reliable for longer distances). AFAIK the Slingbox Pro HD + catcher may be the best option (though certainly not cheap).

Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #71
Berone

I got a component splitter and ran component cables to the three televisions. A 75' cable is about $40 on ebay, a 50' a bit less. I have the virtue that all of the televisions are on the ground floor and I was able to run the cable in the drop ceiling of the basement. Had to drill some pretty big holes to bring them up, but I was able to do it behind radiators and moulding, so it worked out well.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #72
moyekj

Another update, some good stuff in this one.
P.S. I encourage you to keep up with latest releases if you are using this program. To update all you need to do is replace the kmttg.pl file of your current installation with the one in the latest zip file.
------------------
v0.2f (04/01/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Copy Protected and Currently Recording shows are now displayed along with other shows but
are marked differently (and of course cannot be downloaded).
* You can now request Now Playing Lists from your Tivos (and start additional jobs) while other jobs are running in kmttg.
* Change implemented for Linux platform to avoid zombie (<defunct>) process accumulation when jobs are killed.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #73
Philipp5

Hi, I'm not a programmer but really like what you're doing. Thanks!

Unfortunately it's all a bit confusing for us non programmer types. Maybe you can help me out?

I followed your instructions and downloaded everything and installed Active Perl on my PC as well as the files. However I get a Windows error message as below. Here are pictures of my files as in the directory so that you can let me know if it's all ok:

My directory:

DOS Command:

Error message:

Philipp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #74
Berone

You had me worried, Kevin. A whole day without a new release! I've been splitting my time between taking down a brick wall in my house and trying to get this working on a Mac. Two days to get a perl script recognized, now trying to get it to work. I get this when I run the script:

^* matches null string many times in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^* <-- HERE $/ at kmttg.pl line 268.
couldn't connect to display ":0" at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/MainWindow.pm line 55.
MainWindow->new(-name,kmttg) at kmttg.pl line 1586

Mean anything to you?

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #75
moyekj

Quote:
You had me worried, Kevin. A whole day without a new release! I've been splitting my time between taking down a brick wall in my house and trying to get this working on a Mac. Two days to get a perl script recognized, now trying to get it to work. I get this when I run the script:

^* matches null string many times in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^* <-- HERE $/ at kmttg.pl line 268.
couldn't connect to display ":0" at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/MainWindow.pm line 55.

Mean anything to you?

Thanks,

Anthony
Looks like more than 1 problem. But 1 main issue is it seems like Perl Tk may not be working. I have included a simple perl Tk script called perlTkSample.pl in the sample.zip file attached. Try and run that one to test your Perl Tk installation 1st.

For the other problem it looks like some kind of strangeness parsing config.ini, maybe with a stray '*' character (maybe you have a space between the '*' character and the Tivo name?). Try a fresh start by removing/renaming config.ini.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample.zip (813 Bytes, 4 views)

Last edited by moyekj : 04-02-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #76
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp5 View Post
Hi, I'm not a programmer but really like what you're doing. Thanks!

Unfortunately it's all a bit confusing for us non programmer types. Maybe you can help me out?

I followed your instructions and downloaded everything and installed Active Perl on my PC as well as the files. However I get a Windows error message as below. Here are pictures of my files as in the directory so that you can let me know if it's all ok:
1. Can you try using "perl" instead of "wperl"?
2. What version of perl did you install? You can find out by executing "perl --version" in a DOS box.
3. See my post above and try the perlTkSample.pl script to see if it works using both perl and wperl.
4. What version of Windows are you running?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #77
moyekj

Quote:
I'm not familar at all with Mac platform, but this error indicates that X server is not running. I don't think X windows is used by default on Mac but Perl/Tk for a Mac uses X windows and hence your problem. So you have to have X server installed and running. Here's a reference:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Macintosh/X/ptk/

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #78
deVries

Thumbs up Install Tip & Version 2f Rocks!

Quote:
Another update, some good stuff in this one.
P.S. I encourage you to keep up with latest releases if you are using this program. To update all you need to do is replace the kmttg.pl file of your current installation with the one in the latest zip file.
------------------
v0.2f (04/01/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Copy Protected and Currently Recording shows are now displayed along with other shows but
are marked differently (and of course cannot be downloaded).
Thanks for the update/install tip above. Version 2f ROCKS.

Thanks again...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #79
moyekj

v0.2g just released with a minor but useful enhancement:
------------------
v0.2g (04/02/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Status indicated in the title so that when you minimize kmttg you still get an
indication of progress from the taskbar.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #80
Philipp5

Hi Moyeki
Here are the answers:
Quote:
1. Can you try using "perl" instead of "wperl"?
2. What version of perl did you install? You can find out by executing "perl --version" in a DOS box.
I did try using perl instead of wperl - same result. I have version 5.10.0 Binary build 1002
Quote:
3. See my post above and try the perlTkSample.pl script to see if it works using both perl and wperl.
Yes running your sample also gives the same error as kmttg
Quote:
4. What version of Windows are you running?
I'm running Windows XP Home.
Maybe my perl installation is messed up...
Philipp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #81
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp5 View Post
I did try using perl instead of wperl - same result. I have version 5.10.0 Binary build 1002
OK, that is the problem. You need to use the 5.8 installation. I probably need to make that clearer in the documentation now that 5.10 is confirmed not to work. I will have to look into why 5.10 doesn't work but in the meantime please uninstall 5.10 and install 5.8 instead and you should be good to go.

EDIT: Actually I was able to get it working with Perl 5.10 as well without any changes to the program. The key is that 5.10 ActivePerl does not come with Tk module installed by default so you have to be careful to install from proper version (the 5.8 Tk module which you can get from CPAN does not work in 5.10). I've updated the documentation at my web site with instructions for ActivePerl 5.10 installation including proper way to install Tk module for it.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-03-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #82
leiff

Is this program better than tivodesktop? Pros/cons? I don't need the file conversion tool but I would like skip commercial ability if it works seamlessly. Converting tivo file I assume will allow user to use other media players besides wmp. Is there a favored media player for HD content? Using wmp11, I use high quality overlay in performance menu for best picture.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #83
moyekj

v0.2h just released with an important bug fix:
------------------
v0.2h (04/03/2008)
------------------
BUG FIX:
* Fixed problem with Now Playing List retrieval checking that would flag
certain successful downloads as in error.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #84
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Is this program better than tivodesktop? Pros/cons? I don't need the file conversion tool but I would like skip commercial ability if it works seamlessly. Converting tivo file I assume will allow user to use other media players besides wmp. Is there a favored media player for HD content? Using wmp11, I use high quality overlay in performance menu for best picture.
As the author of this program you can guess my position on this. I was using Tivo Desktop to download shows before and for the most part didn't have any trouble, except it didn't seem to be very accurate reporting time remaining. However, the encrypted .TiVo files to me are useless as I usually want to further process files to remove commercials, or make DVDs, or convert to a more portable format for my Portable Media Player. All the utilities were out there to do these different tasks but it was cumbersome to bring up different tools to do the different steps so I decided to start scripting some of them to make things easier, and eventually this grew into this program - this program is essentially just a GUI using various 3rd party tools to do these tasks.
As far as automated commercial detection and removal I have yet to see any (free) program that does it perfectly. Comskip can do a great job on some programs and a very lousy job on others. Bottom line is if you want perfect commercial editing you have to use an mpeg editor and do it yourself. I use Womble Mpeg Video Wizard for that but most users around here use VideoRedo. Both have very similar capabilities and are excellent tools for that purpose but of course are not free. (Both tools can also take a file generated by Comskip as a starting point so you can check and edit the commercial points).
As for media player I usually don't watch any programs on my laptop - I either feed them back to my Tivos or store them on my Portable Media Player. I think WMP is fine for playback but I also have VideoLAN VLC, Media Player Classic and some other commercial programs. All have different advantages and disadvantages. The nice thing is once you have unencrypted mpeg2 files then you give yourself a lot more options.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-03-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #85
Berone

Kevin,
Now I'm having a problem with my Windows installation. This is what I'm getting when I first run it:

>> Getting Now Playing List from Willow ...
C:\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "" --url "https://192.168.1.7/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "_1"
*ERROR* Failed to launch command: C:\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "" --url "https://192.168.1.7/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "_1"
*ERROR* The operation completed successfully.

And nothing downloads. I've deleted the config.ini and let it rebuild, but no joy.

On the other hand, I have it almost working in OS X. You were right - I needed to run it from X11. The documentation on getting perl scripts working in OS X sucks! I've been getting advice on a forum and I keep getting asked things like "oh, well don't you have (blah, blah) installed?" NO? WHY WOULD I? THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD OF IT!!!! Sorry - had to get that out of my system. The problem I'm having is that files won't download past about 410 mb. I just tried downloading from the https server and it's downloading the whole file, so the issue doesn't seem to be there. Anything you can think of that might cause that?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 04-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #86
moyekj

Quote:
Kevin,
Now I'm having a problem with my Windows installation. This is what I'm getting when I first run it:

>> Getting Now Playing List from Willow ...
C:\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "" --url "https://192.168.1.7/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "_1"
*ERROR* Failed to launch command: C:\KMTTG\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "" --url "https://192.168.1.7/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2FNowPlaying&R ecurse=Yes" --output "_1"
*ERROR* The operation completed successfully.

And nothing downloads. I've deleted the config.ini and let it rebuild, but no joy.

On the other hand, I have it almost working in OS X. You were right - I needed to run it from X11. The documentation on getting perl scripts working in OS X sucks! I've been getting advice on a forum and I keep getting asked things like "oh, well don't you have (blah, blah) installed?" NO? WHY WOULD I? THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD OF IT!!!! Sorry - had to get that out of my system. The problem I'm having is that files won't download past about 410 mb. I just tried downloading from the https server and it's downloading the whole file, so the issue doesn't seem to be there. Anything you can think of that might cause that?

Thanks,
Anthony
Looks like there's a problem with the temporary files which go to the output directory. There's an empty cookie file: --cookie-jar "" and the output file is wrong: --output "_1".. Most likely you have an improper Output Dir specified in your configuration or some other syntax problem in config.ini that's screwing up parsing. P.M. me your config.ini file - something doesn't look right there. I need to work on improving error checking in the configuration so these kinds of problems are flagged up front.

For the Mac OS X problem run the curl command displayed by kmttg from command line since that is what must be failing (replace MAK with your real MAK number). Make sure the output directory partition where the file is going has plenty of space. Could be a buggy version of curl so retrieving a new version of curl may solve the issue. Also if you have a firewall enabled try turning it off while testing.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #87
Berone

Fixed the Windows problem - it was a syntax error (I forgot the \ at the end of the output directory name).

OS X:
I ran the curl command at terminal and this is what I got:

mini:~ Mini$ /usr/bin/curl --anyauth --user tivo:00000000 --insecure --cookie-jar "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/cookies2936" --url "http://192.168.1.7:80/download/How%20I%20Met%20Your%20Mother.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&i d=507743" --output "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - The Bracket_Mon_Mar_31.TiVo"
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 51 0 51 0 0 146 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 146
mini:~ Mini$

The file is created in the correct output directory, but nothing is downloaded to it (unlike from kmttg where I get to around 400 mb and then the clock keeps running but nothing further downloads).

Anthony
Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #88
moyekj

Quote:
Fixed the Windows problem - it was a syntax error (I forgot the \ at the end of the output directory name).

OS X:
I ran the curl command at terminal and this is what I got:

mini:~ Mini$ /usr/bin/curl --anyauth --user tivo:00000000 --insecure --cookie-jar "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/cookies2936" --url "http://192.168.1.7:80/download/How%20I%20Met%20Your%20Mother.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&i d=507743" --output "/volumes/kaylee/tivo/How I Met Your Mother - The Bracket_Mon_Mar_31.TiVo"
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 51 0 51 0 0 146 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 146
mini:~ Mini$

The file is created in the correct output directory, but nothing is downloaded to it (unlike from kmttg where I get to around 400 mb and then the clock keeps running but nothing further downloads).

Anthony
You are using your real MAK number instead of "00000000" right?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #89
Berone

Quote:
You are using your real MAK number instead of "00000000" right?
Of course. I had originally pasted in the actual command and then realized that I shouldn't post my MAK number so I edited.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #90
moyekj

Quote:
It's a mystery to me then, since running the same command that kmttg is using you are getting different results. If as you mentioned the same URL works fine using a browser then the only thing left to suspect is the curl executable. Try using a more recent version of curl. You can get a Mac OS X binary from here:
http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=bin&os=Mac+OS+X
(Get the 7.18.1 version with SSL enabled)
Then obviously replace /usr/bin/curl in the above command with the binary you download and see how it goes.
If that does work then you can just setup to use that binary in kmttg config.

Also as I mentioned before make sure to take any firewall out of the picture (it could be interfering with curl).

Last edited by moyekj : 04-04-2008 at 03:54 PM.