TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #451
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

I would doubt it. Were the installers 'official' BHN engineers? I trust little, if anything of what the subcontractors say.
Series 2 DT
Assorted other humans and animals
Okeemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #452
rxache

Class Action?

Has anyone seriously considered a class action lawsuit. **standard disclaimer** I am not a lawyer. But it seems to me that CableLabs (the industry group that produced cablecard) has failed in their responsibilty to ensure compatibility with the device. Obviously BHN made the decsion to switch to a new technology (prematurely) that I wouldn't be suprised to find had be developed in cooperation with.... you guessed it CableLabs.

This situation is intolerable in light of the fact that BHN has yet to actually broadcast using SDV... The hugh and cry that would go up if a Software company (MS or Apple) made an unannounced change that caused 5% of peoples content to become unplayable.
rxache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #453
JWThiers
Smartypants

SDV is compatible with Cable Cards (Cable Cards are used in NEWER BHN devices) so technically they are not the problem. The problem is that BHN is not allowing access to new channels in HD because they will in the future be on SDV. IF they wanted they could flip a switch and everyone with cable cards could have those channels right now.

Class action because they are not allowing use to get the channels that we can technically receive but are being denied access is another story.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #454
therlin

Newsflash!

All the HD channels (except for TLC HD and Science HD) will be turned back on for cableCARD customers as early as today or tomorrow.

I was told that the bandwidth for the 2 channels that are not being given to us is already allocated for something else. Since I'm not a technical person, I have no way of knowing if this is correct or not, so I'll leave that up to others to discuss.
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #455
celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by therlin View Post
Newsflash!

All the HD channels (except for TLC HD and Science HD) will be turned back on for cableCARD customers as early as today or tomorrow.

I was told that the bandwidth for the 2 channels that are not being given to us is already allocated for something else. Since I'm not a technical person, I have no way of knowing if this is correct or not, so I'll leave that up to others to discuss.
I really hope this is true. I was about to post a response about putting up the white flag when I saw this...

Great news... But, Still not holding my breath...
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #456
bigdave2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by therlin View Post
Newsflash!

How could the bandwidth be allocated for something else when brighouse boxes still get those channels? Great News!!
bigdave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #457
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Awww... man, someone stole my thunder.

The Director of CS just called me to confirm the following:

(*) We will be receiving the channels that were removed
(*) We will be receiving channels that were added on Feb 1
(*) We will also be getting back History / Biography SD channels.

This is good only until the Aug/Sep timeframe when SDV will be rolled out. The SDV rollout is pending an upgrade from Passport to Maestro on all BHN boxes, which is due in August.

We should be a good shape once the tuning resolver is rolled out, which is looking like Q3 or Q4, but no one knows for sure. BHN is still in conversation with TiVo and related parties as to who will provide the device. BHN is not in the "hardware business" so they don't really want to do it.

These channel changes should take place today / tomorrow, but be patient...who knows what kind of red tape has to be worked through. I would also expect some cable cards to have a problem with the update...this seems to be the norm.

There will be communication coming from BHN to those of us who complained. That communication (it's an FAQ) will be sent out in the next day or two....I'm sure it will be posted somewhere here.

CONGRATS EVERYONE on sticking with this, and not going silently into the night. The little guy won one this time around.
Series 2 DT

Last edited by Okeemike : 03-31-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #458
celly

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/31...eir-hd-channe/

Seriously, everyone here deserves a big pat on the back...
celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #459
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeemike View Post
Awww... man, someone stole my thunder.

The Director of CS just called me to confirm the following:

(*) We will be receiving the channels that were removed
(*) We will be receiving channels that were added on Feb 1
(*) We will also be getting back History / Biography SD channels.

This is good only until the Aug/Sep timeframe when SDV will be rolled out. The SDV rollout is pending an upgrade from Passport to Maestro on all BHN boxes, which is due in August.

These channel changes should take place today / tomorrow, but be patient...who knows what kind of red tape has to be worked through. I would also expect some cable cards to have a problem with the update...this seems to be the norm.

There will be communication coming from BHN to those of us who complained. That communication (it's an FAQ) will be sent out in the next day or two....I'm sure it will be posted somewhere here.

CONGRATS EVERYONE on sticking with this, and not going silently into the night. The little guy won one this time around.
Thats great news Just shows what a bit of targeted complaining to be reasonable can do.
Quote:
We should be a good shape once the tuning resolver is rolled out, which is looking like Q3 or Q4, but no one knows for sure. BHN is still in conversation with TiVo and related parties as to who will provide the device. BHN is not in the "hardware business" so they don't really want to do it.
Next question is given this, and I am sure other cable providers feel the same way about being in the hardware business, when will they allow Tivo to build the resolver INTO a THD. or is it even possible? I don't see any reason it couldn't be. Any local cable company specific communication issues could be setup via firmware update during guided setup.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #460
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
...when will they allow Tivo to build the resolver INTO a THD. or is it even possible...
I thought that the going rumor was it would be included in the S4?
Series 2 DT

Last edited by Okeemike : 03-31-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #461
dkahs23

Thumbs up

Excellent....Thanks to everyone for sticking together.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #462
JWThiers
Smartypants

I don't much credence on rumors, but that would be logical. Now a release date for the S4 Sept 30, just in time for Christmas??? Sounds like a good rumor to me.

Based on pure speculation and pulling a date out of my rectal orifice.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #463
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
...pulling a date out of my rectal orifice.
At least it'll be in HD now.
Series 2 DT
Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #464
eitingon

Thanks!!!!
eitingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #465
JWThiers
Smartypants

Full moon over cocoa
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #466
joelkfla

Great!

Has there been any news on the SciAtl resolver? I thought we only knew that Motorola was working on one.

Last edited by joelkfla : 03-31-2008 at 12:23 PM.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM   #467
TiVoToo

It's about time. I'm glad BHN has finally come to their senses, but this decision was a no brainer and should have taken 2 weeks, not 2 months.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #468
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
It's about time. I'm glad BHN has finally come to their senses, but this decision was a no brainer and should have taken 2 weeks, not 2 months.
Agreed, better late than never, however. I'm not going to complain.

Checking this evening, it doesn't appears that I have access to the channels yet. Maybe tomorrow or perhaps later tonite.
Series 2 DT
Old 03-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #469
eabu

Yay!! I am unashamed to say, thank you, Brighthouse!
eabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #470
bigdave2004

Here is the e-mail I just got:
Quote:
Dear Mr. bigdave2004,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding our cable programming services. This letter is to advise you that Bright House Networks will activate for your cable service the following channels on an interim basis at no additional charge:

TBS HD
Discovery HD
History HD
Animal Planet HD
Food HD
National Geographic HD
HGTV HD
History International
Biography (SD)

When interactive Switched Digital Video (SDV), or other interactive advanced delivery technologies are deployed, Bright House Networks may need to reclaim these and other channels to create those platforms We expect the first of these new technologies, interactive Switched Digital Video to be available in our service area later this year. You will be notified thirty days in advance of this change.

If you have TiVo equipment, Bright House Networks fully supports the cable industry and TiVo initiative to design an external adapter to support Interactive Switched Digital Video. This external adapter will enable TiVo digital video recorders that use CableCards to access digital cable channels without using a set top box. Based on our understanding, the external adapter will be designed to attach to TiVo Series 3 HD DVRs. Once the external adapter is designed and made available, customers with this equipment will be able to directly access digital channels offered by Bright House Networks.

Thank you for being a Bright House Networks customer; we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Sherrie Wrenchey
Customer Care Quality Manager
Bright House Networks Central Florida
YAY!

Last edited by bigdave2004 : 04-01-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #471
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Ditto...718pm.
Series 2 DT
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #472
bigdave2004

I just hope this isn't an early April Fools Joke.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #473
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Ditto...718pm.
Mine came at 7:33pm.

Same letter - I replied back to Ms. Wrenchey with only 2 words: Thank You.

It's nice of them to acknowledge the tuning resolver, too! Perhaps tivo users aren't quite the silent minority after all!

Last edited by orangeboy : 03-31-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add comment about tr
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #474
Randman

Ditto here, too!

Congrats, everybody. I didn't know if this would happen, but I think everyone here had a huge part in this. It's great to see that we can make a difference.

And, thank you Brighthouse, for making a decision. It would have been easy to say "No", but you said "yes", and I appreciate it.
Randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM   #475
PopcornGuy

I just saw the email from Ms. Wrenchey, and yes, MOST of the channel are now on! I don't think we should claim "victory" just yet. I think we still need some answers. My reply to Ms. Wrenchey:

Quote:
Thank you!!!, but...

Can you please explain the reason though for excluding 1345 (TLC HD) and 1348 (Science Channel HD). Brighthouse is not using SDV, so there is no technical reason (such as bandwidth limitations). I was told that Cablecard exclusion from all of the channels was simply an administrative decision (presumably to avoid complaints later). The channels are being delivered to my house through the "standard" cable method (not by SDV), but I can only access them on 1/2 of my boxes. Since my Pace box gets those channels, I believe there is still no reason I shouldn't get them on my Tivo. Correct?

PopcornGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM   #476
PPC1

Any hope for Indianapolis?
PPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #477
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornGuy View Post
I just saw the email from Ms. Wrenchey, and yes, MOST of the channel are now on! I don't think we should claim "victory" just yet. I think we still need some answers. My reply to Ms. Wrenchey:
According to post #454, this is due to those two channels already being reallocated. (whatever that means)
Series 2 DT
Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #478
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC1 View Post
Any hope for Indianapolis?
In the conversation that I had with BHN, I was told that the decision to add the channels back to our package was a 'corporate' one. I assume that this means nationwide, but one can never know for sure.

Sniff out the proper 'suits' in your area to complain to...that's how I got hooked up with the people that I did (I emailed the regional (I think) president).
Series 2 DT
Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #479
PopcornGuy

Quote:
According to post #454, this is due to those two channels already being reallocated. (whatever that means)
Yes, I saw that. But they were not "reallocated" on my Brighthouse cable box. Brighthouse is using the same "locks" for everyone, only our "keys" don't open all of them!
PopcornGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #480
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornGuy View Post
Yes, I saw that. But they were not "reallocated" on my Brighthouse cable box. Brighthouse is using the same "locks" for everyone, only our "keys" don't open all of them!
Good point. To be honest, however, I'm really tired of fighting. I was THIS --> <-- close to dropping cable and going back to DirecTV (God help me), and I'm afraid that if I start complaining about this, my wife will kill me.
Series 2 DT