TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #3091
kichigai01

I think I lost some channels.

Could others check in North Texas the following channels?

MSNBC
Lifetime
VH1

I bet they are black.

Thanks.
kichigai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #3092
Vixyswillie

Persistence Pays Off

Just a note of encouragement for those of you still in the throes of TWC CC hell. Be persistent - it really will work when the planets finally align.

I live in the SE Wisconsin region of TWC and have a Series 3 Tivo. Since the original install, I was missing boatloads of channels (almost all of the 100-series channels and many of the HD channels). I was informed repeatedly from TWC Customer Service that it was due to (1) the fact that I had CCs instead of a STB, and (2) the fact that TWC-Milwaukee is experimenting with SDV on some of their channels.

After being fortunate enough to find someone on this forum who lived in my area, had the same equipment, and had already solved the same issues - I knew better than to accept TWC's "explanation." I requested that a technician with CC experience come back to my house to check the installation and settings of both cards. I was fortunate enough to get a technician who had already done 3 CC installs earlier this week, as well as having worked with many Tivos. After replacing one of the cards - and an additional 15 minutes of tweaking and adjusting settings from the remote office - things are now working beautifully! I have ALL of my regular def and high def channels (with the obvious exceptions of PPV, MOD, premium channels I don't subscribe to, and music channels).

Bottom line: With an appropriately skilled technician and a bit of persistence, these issues can be easily resolved. Best wishes to those of you who aren't quite there, yet. Hope my experiences are helpful in some way.

Patrick
Vixyswillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #3093
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kichigai01 View Post
At least here in Mesquite, the new channels are not SDV yet. I turned on my TV this morning and sure enough all the supposed SDV HD channels were on and working great.
I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the new channels this afternoon and they were working on my S3 here in Dallas. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #3094
rudiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the new channels this afternoon and they were working on my S3 here in Dallas. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
-- Doug
Lucky you!
Here in TWC-Carrollton land, the channels and guide data do appear on my S3, but I'm not seeing any video content on these new channels.

rudiger
rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #3095
InkBlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
-- Doug
And just a note for other North Texans:

I live in the Mid-Cities area, and although the channels appeared in my line-up, they show as black on my screen. Thinking, "oh noes, teh SDV!" I came here first. Found a link to a newspaper article that the new channels are Dallas, Richardson, Plano and Mesquite only. I confirmed through my old cable box, the channels are not in that line-up, nor do they show up in the PDF of channel listings on TWC's website. So, not all North Texas gets the love today.

InkBlot

InkBlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #3096
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
I think I lost some channels.

Could others check in North Texas the following channels?

MSNBC
Lifetime
VH1

I bet they are black.

Thanks.
Here in Farmers Branch (North Texas TWC) I have all those channels working. The new HD channels appeared in the guide on my S3 and HD boxes, but they are all black.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #3097
jmaditto

New HD Channels for TWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxojr View Post
I saw this Engadget story that says TWC in the Piedmont Triad region of NC has just rolled out the Discovery suite in HD.

The story doesn't say whether the channels were added as linear channels or SDV. Anybody know?

Not that that has any direct bearing on what we might get here in Raleigh/Durham, but it might indicate which way the wind is blowing...
I have all the new channels here with TWC South Carolina. Not sure when they were added though. I haven’t checked the service manure to see the SDV status but I assume they are all SDV. Will check later today.
Interesting – I didn’t know engadget was part of TWC.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #3098
JimWall

If new channels are blank or black try rebooting the TIVO. On SDV channels in Cincinnati the Pay Per View loop shows up over and over and over.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #3099
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
If new channels are blank or black try rebooting the TIVO. On SDV channels in Cincinnati the Pay Per View loop shows up over and over and over.
Jim, I am a fellow TW Cincy customer... What current HD channels are we not getting? The only one I can think of is the Fox Sports Channel (at least I think that's what it is!) which is Channel 968. They just added this one a few days ago.

I guess everything from this point on is going to be SDV?

It should be interesting to see how long it takes for the dongle to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #3100
kichigai01

Time to Rant

Please excuse the following if you don't enjoy rants.

*begin rant*
When the heck are the people at TW going to teach their on the phone techs more that just "unplug...reboot...send truck"? It is driving me insane that they do this.

What are the people at the call centers getting paid? Heck, I really don't even care if they are getting minimum wage to sit on their butts and tell people to reboot their stuff. They are getting paid better than what I am getting right now which is nothing and I am the one that is frustrated and annoyed because they can't seem to do more than send techs. Jeez.

Oh and to make matters more interesting, the person on the phone wanted to send a tech to my house on a Sunday. A SUNDAY? Don't they know at Time Warner that most people consider it a day of rest from the stress and the bull mostly coming from companies like them? Also do they have no respect for those employees that like to spend the day with family or practicing a personally accepted believe.?

The person acted offended when I told this person that "Sunday at my home is reserved for relaxation and personal reflection and I will not allow a stranger in my home on that day".

*end rant*

Second note:

I anyone else in the Mesquite,Tx or surrounding area only getting a test pattern on their Fox Sports SW HD channel?
kichigai01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #3101
Firekite

That's not a full-time channel. It's a test pattern 24x7 with the exception of any time a particular event is being shown such as the occasional Spurs/Mavs/Rockets game, etc.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #3102
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Oh and to make matters more interesting, the person on the phone wanted to send a tech to my house on a Sunday. A SUNDAY? Don't they know at Time Warner that most people consider it a day of rest from the stress and the bull mostly coming from companies like them?
Most people? That's rather a sweeping generalization. Personally, I'd be happy to be able to schedule a visit on a Sunday, to avoid having to take a half-day off work during the week.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #3103
echoout
Beer Drinker

Man, I wish I could get them out on a Sunday. The sooner the better.

Quote:
Please excuse the following if you don't enjoy rants.

*begin rant*
When the heck are the people at TW going to teach their on the phone techs more that just "unplug...reboot...send truck"? It is driving me insane that they do this.

What are the people at the call centers getting paid? Heck, I really don't even care if they are getting minimum wage to sit on their butts and tell people to reboot their stuff. They are getting paid better than what I am getting right now which is nothing and I am the one that is frustrated and annoyed because they can't seem to do more than send techs. Jeez.

Oh and to make matters more interesting, the person on the phone wanted to send a tech to my house on a Sunday. A SUNDAY? Don't they know at Time Warner that most people consider it a day of rest from the stress and the bull mostly coming from companies like them? Also do they have no respect for those employees that like to spend the day with family or practicing a personally accepted believe.?

The person acted offended when I told this person that "Sunday at my home is reserved for relaxation and personal reflection and I will not allow a stranger in my home on that day".

*end rant*

Second note:

I anyone else in the Mesquite,Tx or surrounding area only getting a test pattern on their Fox Sports SW HD channel?

echoout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #3104
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer View Post
Jim, I am a fellow TW Cincy customer... What current HD channels are we not getting? The only one I can think of is the Fox Sports Channel (at least I think that's what it is!) which is Channel 968. They just added this one a few days ago.

I guess everything from this point on is going to be SDV?

It should be interesting to see how long it takes for the dongle to arrive.
I live in Dayton, and that is how the sdv channels seemed to work here as well. They played the same loop of advertising, but recently when I moved to a different address, all of those channels were available so apparently they aren't sdv. At least they aren't yet.

Everything seemed to be going well with TWC here until this week when I have lost 2 of my local stations in HD. Hopefully they'll be back by Monday so I don't have to call TW and stay on hold forever.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #3105
thehepcat

Any updates on the dongle situation? TW Rochester has added a number of SDV HD channels over the past weeks, but I'd love to be able to get the NHL HD channel starting up soon.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #3106
Interactive

Ok, so tonight I noticed that I've got a bunch of new channels showing up in the S3 guide but none of them are tuning. HGTVHD, CNNHD, etc. Is this just because my part of North Texas (McKinney) hasn't been turned on, is it because of SDV, or because something needs to be adjusted with my CC's?
Interactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #3107
Firekite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehepcat View Post
Any updates on the dongle situation?
I promise you this: if and when the dongle situation comes to a head, you will not have to go around asking for it.
Firekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #3108
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
Ok, so tonight I noticed that I've got a bunch of new channels showing up in the S3 guide but none of them are tuning. HGTVHD, CNNHD, etc. Is this just because my part of North Texas (McKinney) hasn't been turned on, is it because of SDV, or because something needs to be adjusted with my CC's?
The new HD channels in North Texas are available only in Dallas, Mesquite, Plano, and Richardson. According to TWC's press release, the rest of the Metroplex should be getting those HD channels ("and more") by the end of 2008.

I'm not sure why they picked those cities over all the others, other than they were the first areas with completed 860mhz upgrades.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #3109
Monty2_2001

I'm in Grapevine, TX and also have a ton of new channels in the 700's, all black now. I hope it's just a matter of time, and that they are not SDV..
Monty2_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #3110
Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
The new HD channels in North Texas are available only in Dallas, Mesquite, Plano, and Richardson. According to TWC's press release, the rest of the Metroplex should be getting those HD channels ("and more") by the end of 2008.
Honestly, Tivo and TWC are in jeopardy of loosing my business to DTV. This whole SDV thing and the delays of actually giving me HD content are driving me totally nuts.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #3111
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
I live in Dayton, and that is how the sdv channels seemed to work here as well. They played the same loop of advertising, but recently when I moved to a different address, all of those channels were available so apparently they aren't sdv. At least they aren't yet.

Everything seemed to be going well with TWC here until this week when I have lost 2 of my local stations in HD. Hopefully they'll be back by Monday so I don't have to call TW and stay on hold forever.
I also have TWC in Dayton. I occaisionally have a problem getting 760-763. All other HD channels never a problem. Usually if 760-763 is a problem I change to the other tuner and they are there. Are these the channels you have a problem with?
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #3112
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty2_2001 View Post
I'm in Grapevine, TX and also have a ton of new channels in the 700's, all black now. I hope it's just a matter of time, and that they are not SDV..
I sound like a broken record, but the new HD channels are only in Dallas, Mesquite, Plano, and Richardson.

TWC is promising SDV in the Metroplex sometime this year, but these first 11 channel in these four cities are not SDV.

The real problem is that TWC has poorly communicated what is going on.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #3113
JimWall

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post

When espn2, aehd first came out in cincy they were sdv and later changed. Probably because there was so much usage that the channel was in use most of the time so sdv did not save bandwidth.
The fox sports HD channel channel information in the tivo guide keeps showing "HD promo" which matches the loop that is broadcasted. The guide program starts showing actual programming starting 7 PM on 4/3 so I guess TWC starts transmitting actual shows then. We will have to wait and see.
The "HD promo" still shows up in the schedule so it is not broadcasting the entire foxsportsohio SD channel. The Cincinnati Reds don't appear in the HD channell's schedule. Bummer!!! The "HD promo" loop is there instead.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #3114
cab2

interesting list of what HD is available

I saw the below link in a ad piece that D* sent to my house and checked it out this am. Pretty interesting website. It lists what HD channels are available in your area, by zip code. It seems to list all the various vendors in my area. Sigh, for my area, TWC = 30ish channels and D* (directv) is at 86. Glad I found this site, but just makes me more diasappointed with TWC.

http://www.whereishd.com/
cab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #3115
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrt6676 View Post
I also have TWC in Dayton. I occaisionally have a problem getting 760-763. All other HD channels never a problem. Usually if 760-763 is a problem I change to the other tuner and they are there. Are these the channels you have a problem with?
Haven't had a problem for a little over a year. Right now 722, 746, and 746 are not working on either tuner.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #3116
Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2 View Post
I saw the below link in a ad piece that D* sent to my house and checked it out this am. Pretty interesting website. It lists what HD channels are available in your area, by zip code. It seems to list all the various vendors in my area. Sigh, for my area, TWC = 30ish channels and D* (directv) is at 86. Glad I found this site, but just makes me more diasappointed with TWC.

http://www.whereishd.com/
+1.

I saw this site as well and it only made me more frustrated. But it sure did validate what I've been assuming: That TWC is WAY behind the satellite boys in terms of HD content.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #3117
realityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
When espn2, aehd first came out in cincy they were sdv and later changed. Probably because there was so much usage that the channel was in use most of the time so sdv did not save bandwidth.
The fox sports HD channel channel information in the tivo guide keeps showing "HD promo" which matches the loop that is broadcasted. The guide program starts showing actual programming starting 7 PM on 4/3 so I guess TWC starts transmitting actual shows then. We will have to wait and see.
The "HD promo" still shows up in the schedule so it is not broadcasting the entire foxsportsohio SD channel. The Cincinnati Reds don't appear in the HD channell's schedule. Bummer!!! The "HD promo" loop is there instead.
Pretty much the same here plus TBS HD also. They must've changed at some point, but I didn't recheck them again until after I moved.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #3118
ehchan

Cablecard success in Costa Mesa, CA

Just wanted to report a successful cablecard installation in Costa Mesa, CA. I made sure to call CS to leave notes on my work order for the installer to bring lots of M-Cards, and he did just that. Luckily, the first one he installed worked great, and I had all my channels within 10 minutes of his calling in the codes. The guy seemed to know what he was doing with the Tivo, even though he was a contractor, so I consider myself lucky. I only wish we had the same lineup as D*, but after they screwed my family with their draconian contract policy, i'm not dealing with them again. Tivo works great for me! (phew!)

Ed
ehchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #3119
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Can someone who currently has TW in Orange County, CA give me a list of what channels (HD or otherwise) that you can not tune on your Tivo with cablecards.
I'm in Orange County (Santa Ana), just got set up about a month ago, and no sign of SDV channels (or announcement thereof) so far.

No jynxing it! If I understand things correctly, we're all just hoping that widespread SDV implementation won't start happening until the USB/dongle adapter comes out from TiVo, right?

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #3120
rockonpearl

Some success in Cumberland, ME

Time Warner Cable came out about 3 weeks ago. Installed two cards ... no problems that I am aware of. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of "switching channels" . I no longer get High Def video/music channel, HDA&E, and a few other high def channels because (purportedly) Time Warner of Maine does not want to use "NEW" technology, i.e. "switching cable cards", until they have been around a bit longer. Any truth to this? I was REALLY dissappointed to not get these channels anymore, especially when there aren't many high def channels to begin with. Does anyone know when they plan to adopt "switching" technology and what my legal rights are here?
rockonpearl is offline   Reply With Quote