TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
mrbogusbaxter

Working *FIX* for all DTIVO Dial In Problems. - DTV shuts down DTIVO setup lines!

Here is a WORKING fix for all having a problem dialing in with local access numbers. It is now known for a fact that initial first call access numbers (DTV units only)
are no longer being answered in the other side. This is leaving a lot of us unable to move forward with recording as the unit needs this initial OK to unlock recording access
DTV is now moving forward in phasing out ALL PRIOR NON UPGRADEABLE TIVO units from its lineup.

The main call in numbers are now FULLY disconnected. This forces you to call DTV and trade in your receiver. They are starting to offer FREE HD DVR now pending the situation.

WORK AROUND TO CALL IN AND KEEP YOUR TIVO

go to tivo.com
http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/popfinder.do
enter your area code and look for your local dial in number.

then upon setup for the first dial in, enter your area code as normal.
and then ENTER the entire phone number listed from TIVO website 1+AC+Number
into the CALL PREFIX SECTION. No spaces, or commas.

Adjust Phone Available to ON
Dial Tone Detection; OFF

This forces DTV to dial the prefix number as a whole prior to
dialing in the 'no answer' number
catching on to setup info modem talk , etc, etc...

All will automatically update from there. additional numbers will appear, continue setup as normal.
It is the ONLY way around unless you open your unit to mod.

Also DO NOTE that if you have originally MOD' your hard drive prior to CLEARING & DELETING
this dial in fix WILL NOT work or NEGOTIATE with mod settings prior. You will have to reinstall a clean image otherwise all will hang,

HOPE this helps. I tested this on all four of my dtivo units as yes...I got stuck too,

Last edited by mrbogusbaxter : 03-22-2008 at 02:04 AM.
mrbogusbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbogusbaxter View Post
They are starting to offer FREE HD DVR now pending the situation.
Forcing users to upgrade their package to include HD access and increasing fees. It seems like DirecTV could get all sorts of trouble for doing this.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
"known for a fact"? Yours is the first post I have seen on this issue. Given that the boxes call TiVo and not DirecTV, I have to wonder about the source of your "fact".
Old 03-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

I believe that they make a call to both.... and it would not suprise me if D* was doing something underhanded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
"known for a fact"? Yours is the first post I have seen on this issue. Given that the boxes call TiVo and not DirecTV, I have to wonder about the source of your "fact".

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

I believe there is an 800 number for TiVo to get to the area code page and that lists the dial in numbers in your area, which are used for activation.

The only call to DirecTV is an 800 number for PPV purchases.

....but I've been wrong before.

About a year ago I lost a local dial in number. I thought it was DirecTV's action, but it was actually TiVo's action. I had to use another number from farther away.
codespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

codespy is correct.
The units don't contact DTV for any reason besides PPV purchases.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

First I've heard of this. I, too, would like to know mrbogusbaxter's source for this "sudden change".
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
patonenow

Just Tried It.

I just tried it on all 3 of my R10's series two and they all took the call and said successful. By unupgradeable does the original poster mean series one or before that?
patonenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
The units don't contact DTV for any reason besides PPV purchases.
It has been stated many times in these forums that the DirecTV boxes phone home once a month, whether or not anyone uses them to order PPV. Is that true? People who use only VOIP should have the call records available to definitively answer that question.

I have 4 active DirecTV boxes. In the many years I've had them I have never ordered PPV. So if the boxes really do phone home once a month, together they have phoned in to report "nope, no PPV" hundreds of times.

And if what I say above is how things really work, then your statement is untrue. The boxes are really phoning in to say "here I am". The PPV thing is just a lame excuse to justify the call.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

semantics
my point was that DTV didn't break the guided setup phone call. TiVo did.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
It has been stated many times in these forums that the DirecTV boxes phone home once a month, whether or not anyone uses them to order PPV. Is that true? People who use only VOIP should have the call records available to definitively answer that question.

I have 4 active DirecTV boxes. In the many years I've had them I have never ordered PPV. So if the boxes really do phone home once a month, together they have phoned in to report "nope, no PPV" hundreds of times.

And if what I say above is how things really work, then your statement is untrue. The boxes are really phoning in to say "here I am". The PPV thing is just a lame excuse to justify the call.
Ummm...*all* DirecTV receivers call home once a month to report any PPV and whatnot, even if that report is "none".
shibby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
mrbogusbaxter

let me rephrase this; the initial DTV activation phone numbers (not the daily local call numbers) have been shuttered. The reason for this is NOT of any bad blood for tivo, etc, etc....this is strictly to get all remaining customers over to the latest MPEG4 technology ie; recievers ALSO to gain remaining control of any remaining non leased equipment, for as we all know DTV no longer offers ANY purchase of ANY DTV equipment (regarding newer units)

DTV is aiming for a full subscriber shift over to MPEG4 technology, all to be completed by mid 2009. Already DTV are starting to offer select FREE HD DVR's. I have already been offered one in exchange for for my HD DTV TIVO

You can expect a lot more channel changes, HD move arounds and quite a few new 'governed rules and tv regulations' to rear its ugly head about August or so.

Lets just say I heard this from a friends cousin, who's next door neighbor works in the same building as the daughter of the cleaning lady who cleans for the executive director of the.......

actually a few inside programming.

one more tad about the dial in...your unit dials in MOSTLY to report and monitor ALL your viewing habits. (and yes PPV, etc)
BIG BROTHER is and watching all you watch, choose and more. Its called ratings. If you search around on DTV website...you will find a little tiny baby small hidden link that will allow you to OPT out of all monitoring habits. Or as they like to call it Anonymous Viewing Information

Last edited by mrbogusbaxter : 03-22-2008 at 03:51 PM.
mrbogusbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbogusbaxter View Post
DTV is aiming for a full subscriber shift over to MPEG4 technology, all to be completed by mid 2009. Already DTV are starting to offer select FREE HD DVR's. I have already been offered one in exchange for for my HD DTV TIVO
This is not correct. They are planning to phase out SD DVRs for all new installs during this year. They will still have a SD non-DVR receiver. In 2009/2010 they are planning on phasing out SD non-DVR receivers for all new installs. So they are not going to install any new mpeg-2 based receivers in 2009/2010 time frame but they did not say they are going to replace the ones already in the field.

Only new subscribers in 2009 are going to have mpeg-4 receivers as an option. Current standard definition mpeg-2 subscribers will not have there equipment changed. They can not force old standard definition customers into the HD package without serious consequences.
Quote:
one more tad about the dial in...your unit dials in MOSTLY to report and monitor ALL your viewing habits. (and yes PPV, etc)
BIG BROTHER is and watching all you watch, choose and more. Its called ratings. If you search around on DTV website...you will find a little tiny baby small hidden link that will allow you to OPT out of all monitoring habits. Or as they like to call it Anonymous Viewing Information
The only personal information the DirecTiVo transmits back is your zip code and it can be opted out of. The HR2x on the other hand transmits back it receiver identification number with is tracable back to your personal account.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
The only personal information the DirecTiVo transmits back is your zip code and it can be opted out of.
It sends more than just that. Have a look at the logs in /var like svclog or tivoLog.prv (that one's is binary format though), or watch over a serial connection while a daily call occurs. It sends off your TSN, network settings, even the model of the hard drive(s) in your tivo. I just did a "strings" on the tivoLog.prv, and it contains zip code, channel names of channels viewed, and TMSID's. TMSID's are the tivo's way of determining what should be "grouped" together in folders, in other words, season passes. Plenty of "viewing habit" info going to tivo during the daily call. Probably a good bit of info that would need to be deciphered to be "human readable." I think I'll go off to tivo.com and "opt-out" and see if they quit grabbing this log.

Last edited by Da Goon : 03-25-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I had a call register on mine for several months and my Directtivo dialed a different 800 number once a month for the three months I monitored it. It wasn't the Tivo dial-in number, but it wasn't a consistant number. I'm not sure how they rotate around through different 800 numbers to report PPV, but they do. If you have an online account at DTV you can OptOut of data collection. The system information screen on a zippered dtivo shows a lot more information and shows mine as "opted out".
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There is no "initial DTV activation number". All TiVos, DirecTV TiVos and standalones, call a TiVo 800 number for initial activation. DirecTV is not involved with this process.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
There is no "initial DTV activation number". All TiVos, DirecTV TiVos and standalones, call a TiVo 800 number for initial activation. DirecTV is not involved with this process.
It a common and unsurprising misconception. When doing the initial call on a directivo the tivo does state "Press select to call Directv".
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
HiDefGator

So your telling me that if I plug in my old DirecTivo and do a clear and delete, it can't make it through the setup process anymore?
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #19
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
So your telling me that if I plug in my old DirecTivo and do a clear and delete, it can't make it through the setup process anymore?
Not at all. The OP is confused. Tivo over it's history changes numbers from time to time and you'd simply need to get an updated list of dial in numbers via the 800 number in the menus. I think I've had to change my local number at least 5 times on my Tivo units over the past 8 years. This is nothing new despite the "sky is falling" post.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby191 View Post
Not at all. The OP is confused. Tivo over it's history changes numbers from time to time and you'd simply need to get an updated list of dial in numbers via the 800 number in the menus. I think I've had to change my local number at least 5 times on my Tivo units over the past 8 years. This is nothing new despite the "sky is falling" post.
He does seem to be correct. I dusted off an old directivo and it reports "service not responding" when it tries to get the first set of dial in numbers. Now I'll call tech support and see if they will really give me that new HR20 for free!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #21
HiDefGator

so far the first CSR has never heard of the problem I'm describing. offered to upgrade me to new non-Tivo SD DVR for $19.95. If I wanted HD DVR it was $199.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
bearymore

I had the same dial-in problem. All I had to do was change to another number on the list in the change dial-in menu. I did notice that the list of numbers had changed -- they added a different local number for my area.

As for forcing an upgrade to HD units: If that happens I will be an ex-subscriber. I tried the R15 and hated it. Their HD DVR works better, I hear, but the limitations on things like wishlists and season passes makes it a no-go for me. If I have to change, I will go to cable where I can get an HD Tivo and cable card.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #23
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
but the limitations on things like wishlists and season passes makes it a no-go for me.
For season passes, yes the limit is still 50. But recent updates and additions to the search functionality, dare I say, makes it more powerful then Tivo Wishlists in many cases. The latest CE cycle seems to be centered around advanced searches. You can check it out in the Cutting Edge forum at DBSTalk.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #24
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was finally able to do my test, and yes indeed, the 800 number that the DTiVo calls to get the list of dialin numbers does not work. It DOES answer with a modem, but the negotiation fails. I used the technique described to select a different number, but the four numbers for my city I tried all failed in various ways. Hmm...
Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #25
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby191 View Post
But recent updates and additions to the search functionality, dare I say, makes it more powerful then Tivo Wishlists in many cases.
Except the Channels I Receive still does not work and is not user editable making it not very useful. It ends up trying to record things from channels I do not subscribe to and I end up missing the recording from another channel that had it.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #26
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
That's right. I tried it too. You're going to have to hack it with the zipper:

http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html

Also, you can use the ,#401 trick in the dial prefix to get it to use the internet. However, I've never been able to locate the exact location in one of the startup files where you change debug_board=false to true. There is a way to do this if you need it to really connect to the Tivo mothership. Is there anyone who can provide the details about where the correct entry is about the debug board=true entry is located?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #27
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
Except the Channels I Receive still does not work and is not user editable making it not very useful. It ends up trying to record things from channels I do not subscribe to and I end up missing the recording from another channel that had it.
Actually, CIR mostly works now (and the reason it wasn't before is because older receivers like the DirecTivo's died on the extra data in the stream to make it work). They have been rolling it out over the past few months. Last I checked it last week every sports channel, sports package and movie channel I don't subscribe to was greyed out.

And with the advanced options now available you can actually do an audorecord search on a specific channel or channel range only. So I've got a search for Red Wings Live, not post on channel 636. Returns exactly what I want, Red Wings games only and only the first showing and not repeats along with the live pregame shows but not the postgame shows. Perfect.

DBSTalk, tons of info. Cutting Edge forum. Post your ideas on how to make the feature better because DirecTV is taking user ideas and updating the feature every week in the new builds. Get involved before it goes national.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #28
marrone
Phased Member

I'll have to try this. Since I instantcaked my SD-DVR40, it is having trouble with the initial call...as well as all others. I'll see if this helps.

-Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Is there anyone who can provide the details about where the correct entry is about the debug board=true entry is located?
/etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc.Sequence_150.CheckForDebug.sh
Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
marrone
Phased Member

As a side note, it really would be nice for a Tivo rep to pipe in and verify if they indeed cut it off.

-Mike