Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #181
crabell

Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableCard View Post
Hey Crabell, did they finally installed the second card?
Summary of Onelink's techincal visit:

1. Got the HD channels working on my 1st Cable Card.
2. Installed my 2nd. CableCard, but couln'd get it to work.
3. Increased signal stregnth going into the TiVo (can't hurt).
4. The tech suggested to his supervisor getting a few Cable Cards to try again this Saturday.
5. The tech also suggested getting me a Multi-Stream CableCard they have in stock as a field test.
6. Still pending confirmation on Saturday's visit.

If the supervisor goes with the tech's suggestions I may be able to the the 2nd S-Card on my S3 and the M-Card on my TiVo HD... which would be great! If that does happen I'll be able to return their SA8300HDC, get my $100 deposit back and pay only an extra $2 compared to what I'm paying now.

If I do get the M-Card, I'll try to find out if other clients can request M-Cards specifically and keep you posted.

Wish me luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #182
prpilot

WHOA!!!!! Good luck !!! And if they do give you a M-card... please please please.. try to do whatever you can to see how other customers can get them.

Tell them you have a friend who just wants an M-card

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post

5. The tech also suggested getting me a Multi-Stream CableCard they have in stock as a field test.
If I do get the M-Card, I'll try to find out if other clients can request M-Cards specifically and keep you posted....

prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #183
prpilot

Also, you'll want them to double check they have the Host ID right. Apparently, the Host ID pairing does matter for some channels and it was a problem for me not getting certain HD channels and the 400's. Once they fixed the Host ID on their end, it all worked beautifully.

Quote:
2. Installed my 2nd. CableCard, but couln'd get it to work.
Wish me luck!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #184
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot View Post
...Tell them you have a friend who just wants an M-card
If I manage to get the M-Card I'll definitelly try to find a way to get it for everyone else.

But I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, so far I don't even have confirmation of my Saturday visit...

Let's see what happens...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #185
crabell

Quote:
Also, you'll want them to double check they have the Host ID right. Apparently, the Host ID pairing does matter for some channels and it was a problem for me not getting certain HD channels and the 400's. Once they fixed the Host ID on their end, it all worked beautifully.
During the install, the tech. did provide the Host ID to the IT guy on the other end of the phone several times with no luck.

Judging by the anti-static bag the CableCard came in, it looked like it had been in storage for quite some time and it may have been damaged. However, channel 609 was working... which seemed kind of odd if in fact the CableCard was damaged. I guess I'll have to wait until Saturday...

So, you got the music channels (400's) working?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to remember the importance of the Host ID if I run into any more trouble.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #186
crabell

Quick Update:

So far I've had 4 visits from Onelink to try to install the Second CableCard (S-Card) on my S3. One Card was simply damaged and the other 2 just could not be configured properly.

They did, however, manage to pair my working cable card with the HostID and now I can listen to the music channels (in the 400's).

They are trying to figure out what the next step should be and I'm waiting to hear from them. I keep pushing them to give me 2 Multi-Stream CableCards (one for my S3 and one for my TiVoHD), but apparently they are still trying to figure out how much to charge for them.

I'll post any additional info as it becomes available.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #187
Joybob

That is weird. I didn't have any issues but then again, I can't get the music channels working.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #188
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
That is weird. I didn't have any issues but then again, I can't get the music channels working.
Yes, it is weird... the only thing I can think of is that the settings need to be different for the second CableCard because I'm in the Levittown area, which works almost like an independent Cable Company for some reason.

Anyhow, I'm supposed to get Multi-Stream CableCards tomorrow... But I'm not holding my breath since they've said that before and they end up showing up with S-Cards.

For the record, I don't care much for the Music Channels but its a sign that the Card is properly configured.

Let's see what happens tomorrow...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #189
prpilot

Quote:
For the record, I don't care much for the Music Channels but its a sign that the Card is properly configured.
Me neither, but I was telling them that they either provide the channels or stop charging me the $8.95 for 'Digital Access' channels. Once I requested that, they got the channels working (I would've preferred the elimination of the 8.95, but oh well).

Interesting that they are trying to figure out how much to charge for them. Hopefully it's less than $6.50 that I'm paying now for my two S-Cards ($1.75 / per card, + $3.00 for additional outlet [ the 2nd s-card is considered an additional outlet, so I get slapped an additional $3.00.. bastards]).

Are you talking to someone specifically within OneLink? I can give 'em a call too and put more pressure on distributing the M-cards.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #190
crabell

Quote:
Interesting that they are trying to figure out how much to charge for them. Hopefully it's less than $6.50 that I'm paying now for my two S-Cards ($1.75 / per card, + $3.00 for additional outlet [ the 2nd s-card is considered an additional outlet, so I get slapped an additional $3.00.. bastards]).
Are you telling me you are only paying $6.50 for 2 CableCards, including the HD Channels? Have you actually received an invoice?

I was told that the pricing was like this:

1. $1.75 Rental of each Cable Card
2. $6.50 Digital Access for each Cable Card
3. HD Channels as follows:
a) If you ony have Cable Service with them:
i) $16.00 the first Cable Card
ii) $6.00 each additional Cable Card
b) If you have 2 services with them (Cable + Internet or Telephone), which is my case.
i) $11.00 the first Cable Card
c) If you have all 3 services with them.
i) $6.00 the first Cable Card

So, in my case I would be paying:
1st CableCard: $1.75+$6.50+$11.00 = $19.25
2nd CableCard: $1.75+$6.50+$6.00 = $14.25
Total = $33.50

I looks like a lot, but I haven't received any invoice including all these services, so I'm not sure how much I'll end up paying untill I see it.

Quote:
Are you talking to someone specifically within OneLink? I can give 'em a call too and put more pressure on distributing the M-cards.
Yes, I've been talking with Esther Curbelo. She's been very helpful, patient and enthusiastic about providing me with M-Cards. It looks like there is someone else in their office that is providing some resistance to release them to the public.

If I manage to get the M-Card I'll ask her how others (you guys) should ask for this service.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #191
bmgoodman

Quote:
b) If you have 2 services with them (Cable + Internet or Telephone), which is my case.

So, in my case I would be paying:
1st CableCard: $1.75+$6.50+$11.00 = $19.25
2nd CableCard: $1.75+$6.50+$6.00 = $14.25
Total = $33.50

I looks like a lot, but I haven't received any invoice including all these services, so I'm not sure how much I'll end up paying untill I see it.
In Northern Virginia, my situation is this:
I have expanded basic cable (not digital, no cable boxes) with Internet service. I added 2 CableCards and was told my bill would not change. I then found out they screwed something up, and my bill was going WAY up. (They automatically added a digital charge to EACH card.) I finally called enough times to get things straight. NO additional charges. I still get expanded basic plus about a half-dozen HD channels. (No additional outlet charges.)

The one interesting thing was that they no longer offered an HD "package" for $5/mo. It does look like that package is now $10/mo. The key as far as I could tell was getting things offered as "packages". Otherwise, they tack on charges to EACH cable card. For example, they had mistakenly added digital service at $12 PER CARD, but I could have gotten the digital package for $15. Then I think they tacked on HD at $10 PER CARD.

Frankly, this is all such a mess that it's almost pointless to have a country-wide Comcast web-site at all. Clearly each local franchise has LOTS of leeway in what they charge.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #192
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
In Northern Virginia, my situation is this...
Frankly, this is all such a mess that it's almost pointless to have a country-wide Comcast web-site at all. Clearly each local franchise has LOTS of leeway in what they charge.
Thanks for your input!

I'm sure they don't even know how much I'll end up paying, since they basically "just started" providing CableCards "openly".

I'm concentrating on getting the service that I want for the moment, the next step will be to get it a reasonable price.

It is somewhat comforting knowing that we're not the only ones having these kind of issues... Thanks again for your input.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #193
crabell

Got them!

I got my MultiStream CableCards!

I got 2 MultiStream CableCards installed today... HD Channels and all!

One card fills the second slot of my S3 and the other is on my TiVoHD...

Special thanks to this Forum, Joybob, prpilot and the rest of the gang that put enough pressure on Onelink to make this happen.

If you are interested in getting a MultiStream Card you can contact Esther Curbelo via email (esther.curbelo@onelinkpr.com) or telephone (787-622-1473, ext. 2316). It may take several visits, but she'll make things happen.

Funny story... After I got all my CableCards working with the HD channels I went to the Onelink office to return the SA8300HDC, since I didn't need it anymore. The Service Rep was "efficient" enough that it took her 45 minutes to accept the HD-DVR back and remove the HD channels from all my CableCards, claiming that I needed their HD DVR to give HD access to the Cards. I verified that I has no HD channels when I got back home, called Esther Curbelo and she got them back in the system.

Get your TiVoHD with an M-Card today!

Good luck to all!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #194
Joybob

Now to compare bills.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #195
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
Now to compare bills.
That's right!

I'm very happy right now, so I don't want to think about how much I'll end up paying for the moment... I'm sure my next bill will show a bunch of partial charges and partial credits... the bill after that one will be the one that will give me the actual price and that may turn into out "second round" with Onelink regarding "reasonable pricing".

Good luck to all of us and thanks for all your help!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #196
prpilot

Quote:
Are you telling me you are only paying $6.50 for 2 CableCards, including the HD Channels? Have you actually received an invoice?
Yes, see this post for my bill charges.

Quote:
I was told that the pricing was like this:

1. $1.75 Rental of each Cable Card
Correct.. that's what I see in my bill. However, I also see a $3.00 charge for "Additional Outlet" for the second Cable Card.

Quote:
2. $6.50 Digital Access for each Cable Card
I see this in my bill too. But this is something that you would get charged anyway if you had a DVR. This gives you access to the music channels (400's) and the NBA League, MLB Season channels (500's), and pay-per-view-by-phone channels (300's). If you don't care about this service, I believe you can cancel it. You would also see this charge if you had their DVR.

Quote:
That's correct, that's what I see in my bill ($6 per Cable Card since I have all the services with them).
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #197
prpilot

Quote:
[b][size="4"]If you are interested in getting a MultiStream Card you can contact Esther Curbelo via email (esther.curbelo@onelinkpr.com) or telephone (787-622-1473, ext. 2316). It may take several visits, but she'll make things happen.
I'm waiting for 8am EDT so I can call and set up my appointment . My dad went to Costco in Bayamon yesterday and bought two TivoHD's.

Quote:
Funny story... After I got all my CableCards working with the HD channels I went to the Onelink office to return the SA8300HDC, since I didn't need it anymore. The Service Rep was "efficient" enough that it took her 45 minutes to accept the HD-DVR back and remove the HD channels from all my CableCards, claiming that I needed their HD DVR to give HD access to the Cards. I verified that I has no HD channels when I got back home, called Esther Curbelo and she got them back in the system.
That is freaking hillarious!!!! Sounds like Esther is a great resource within OneLink. 29 minutes before I can get my M-Card!!!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #198
crabell

Quote:
I'm waiting for 8am EDT so I can call and set up my appointment ...
If you can't reach her the first time you call, be patient and try again.. It souldn't take too long for you to reach her...
Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #199
crabell

Quote:
This gives you access to the music channels (400's) and the NBA League, MLB Season channels (500's), and pay-per-view-by-phone channels (300's). If you don't care about this service, I believe you can cancel it.
I believe the $6.50 Digital Access also enables all channels 100 and above, but I'm not sure. I need to find out, because I really don't care about the 300's, 400's or 500's
Thanks!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-31-2008, 11:36 AM   #200
prpilot

Quote:
I believe the $6.50 Digital Access also enables all channels 100 and above, but I'm not sure. I need to find out, because I really don't care about the 300's, 400's or 500's
Thanks!
No, the 100's are enabled with a 8.95 fee (i.e. for 2.45 extra on top of the 6.50). but this is also a fee you would pay with the DVR...
Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #201
prpilot

Called an ordered 3 M-Cards! They are coming tomorrow to install two of them and next week for the 3rd! This is awesome!!!!

I know the populares will kill me, but the feds rule!! Thank you FCC!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #202
crabell

Quote:
Called an ordered 3 M-Cards! They are coming tomorrow to install two of them and next week for the 3rd! This is awesome!!!!
Great!

If I were you I would run Guided Setup on both TiVoHD's with Basic Cable before tomorrow's Installation. During the installation make sure you "Test Channels" under the CableCard Menu before you let the installer get out of your house. After the installer is gone you need to re-run Guided Setup, but telling the TiVo you have CableCards.

Don't expect the Installer to know what (s)he's doing, you need to be the expert here.

Enjoy!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #203
crabell

Quote:
No, the 100's are enabled with a 8.95 fee (i.e. for 2.45 extra on top of the 6.50). but this is also a fee you would pay with the DVR...
If that's the case, then I'll be excluding that from my account on 2 CableCards... I'll leave keep it as is on my TiVoHD just in case I want to order a PPV Boxing match or something.

Thanks for the info!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #204
Joybob

Quote:

This ordeal has turned me pro-feds too...

But keep that quiet.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #205
crabell

Quote:
Called an ordered 3 M-Cards! They are coming tomorrow to install two of them and next week for the 3rd!
Just curious... Did you ever get your M-Cards installed?

Quote:
Actually, I don't think the FCC requires M-Cards... just CableCards, so it looks like they are providing M-Cards because we requested them... go figure!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #206
prpilot

Quote:
Just curious... Did you ever get your M-Cards installed?
Nope.. the installer came with 2 cable boxes instead of 2 m-cards. I called Esther Curbelo and she was pissed off. I got another appointment for next week. We'll see. I mentioned your name and she knew exactly who you were

Quote:
Actually, I don't think the FCC requires M-Cards... just CableCards, so it looks like they are providing M-Cards because we requested them... go figure!
I was referring to the fact that it was the FCC who forced OneLink to provide HD via CableCard and everything else kind of unraveled from there!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #207
crabell

Quote:
Nope.. the installer came with 2 cable boxes instead of 2 m-cards. I called Esther Curbelo and she was pissed off. I got another appointment for next week. We'll see. I mentioned your name and she knew exactly who you were
Cable Boxes?! I can see why she was pissed off...

I probably talked to Esther every day for about two weeks to get my Cards installed... no wonder she remembers me... plus I can be very persistent...

Quote:
I was referring to the fact that it was the FCC who forced OneLink to provide HD via CableCard and everything else kind of unraveled from there!
Point taken... the FCC rules!

Good luck on next week's install! Keep us posted on your progress...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #208
prpilot

Quote:
Cable Boxes?! I can see why she was pissed off...
Yeah I guess I had it coming. When I first called to get the M-Cards the representative appeared to understand *exactly* what I was talking about. I was surprised as to how easy it was to set up an m-card installation. Now I know why.. the rep had no idea what I was talking about, so he just sent a guy with two cable boxes... grrr!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #209
crabell

Quote:
Yeah I guess I had it coming. When I first called to get the M-Cards the representative appeared to understand *exactly* what I was talking about. I was surprised as to how easy it was to set up an m-card installation. Now I know why.. the rep had no idea what I was talking about, so he just sent a guy with two cable boxes... grrr!!!
To get CableCards installed, specially if they are M-Cards I wouldn't even bother calling 787-250-7780 to set up an appointment.

In order to make it happen you need to talk to Esther directly (see my previous post with her phone number and extension). It may take several phone calls and several visits, but she'll get it done.

You just need to be a little patient, there is a lot of people working for Onelink that don't even know what a CableCard is, much less a MultiStream Card.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #210
prpilot

Quote:
To get CableCards installed, specially if they are M-Cards I wouldn't even bother calling 787-250-7780 to set up an appointment.
Ok, after 3 failed attempts (first attempt they brought 2 cable boxes, 2nd attempt they left me hanging, 3rd attempt they brought 2 s-cards), I finally got 2 M-Cards for my two Tivo HD's. !!

Even though it took 4 appointments, actually setting up the two M-Cards was a snap. The OneLink guy was in and out in less than an hour. Ms. Esther Curbelo deeply apologized several times and promised it'll get better.

Thanks crabell for hooking me up with her!!

FYI: The OneLink guy that comes to install the CableCARD doesn't know anything about CableCARDs. They actually come in and talk to someone in MIS (I'm guessing something about information systems) and they in turn do all the programming with the given Host ID. The MIS guy was a Mr. Negron. He actually knew a lot about TivoHD and Tivo Series 3. So if your OneLink guy has issues setting the CableCARD up, tell them to talk to Mr. Negron at MIS.

PS. The OneLink guy that came today mentioned that OneLink will probably not be ready for the February 19th, 2009 transition to Digital TV.