TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #1681
slyone

Interesting stuff (instant cake) I should probably setup a "spare drive" so when/if I experience a failure..I'm ready to go!
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #1682
splice

Can I connect a vcr to my rs-tx20 and record my home movies and then burn them to dvd's? If so how do I connect the two ? splice
splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #1683
windracer
joined the 10k club

Connect the outputs of your VCR to one of the inputs on the back (or front) of the TX-20. Then go into Find Programs -> Record from video camera/VCR and the box will walk you through the rest. I believe this is also detailed in the user's guide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #1684
slyone

Hey I was just reading about Lifetime options....I still have one of these units which has never had any activation..been using free basic and wonder if by chance I might still have a Lifetime option????
Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #1685
azitnay

The ability to purchase lifetime service outright is long gone... There is currently an offer to purchase lifetime for $399, but I believe it's only for existing customers (i.e. people with a currently-active subscription), and then it's only for new units.

Assuming your unit has never been activated, it may qualify as a "new" unit for the purposes of purchasing lifetime. However, it doesn't sound like you're currently a TiVo subscriber, so you may not be able to take advantage of this offer. I'd call TiVo to find out for sure, though.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #1686
slyone

Thanks Drew!

Last edited by slyone : 03-05-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #1687
weaknees

Toshiba Replacement Burner Discount

There have been a lot of posts about replacement DVD Burners for DRT400/DRT800 (Humax) and Toshiba RS-TX20/RS-TX60 TiVos.

If you are looking for a factory replacement and don't want to search eBay or online, we have decided to offer a coupon code for TiVo Community readers to take $40 off the cost of the factory burner (bringing the cost of the burner down to $59 shipped if you install the part). For now, we're making the coupon expire 6/30/08, but if you're reading this after the expiration, send us an email and we'll see if we can help.

Coupon code is "TIVOBURNER" (no quotes). Enter it below the checkout buttons on our website.

Here's where you'll find the product:

Replacement TiVo DVD Burners

I know there are a lot of threads out there discussing burners; I'll post this in the Humax thread, but none of the burner threads. Feel free to pass it along or link here if you think it will help someone else.

weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #1688
freeze12

I recorded "Jericho" today & when I went to watch it there was a picture,but no sound.
This also was on all channels even when I changed channels on My television. I looked at some video I previously recorded on Mt RS-TX20 & I had picture & sound..just not from today.I did a re-start on the Toshiba & after that the television had sound again but "Jericho" still had no sound.
I did a test recording & the Toshiba worked fine now..does this sound like a failing hard drive? Has anyone else had this problem?...thanks

Last edited by freeze12 : 02-13-2008 at 12:03 AM.
freeze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #1689
Bruzer

Pioneer DVR-115 DVD Useable in RS-TX20?

Can anyone confirm that a Pioneer DVR-115 DVD drive will work as a direct replacement for the DVR-108 that is currently in my RS-TX20? I think I've read that this model works in the Humax DVD/TiVo units, but I'm not sure about the Toshiba units. I realize that I won't be able to make use of all of the new specs for the DVR-115, but I just need something that will work like the DVR-108.

Thanks
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #1690
Mikeguy

DVD-RW media on sale right now at Office Depot (25 for $7.99), thru 2-23-08; stock up!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...indle-Minutes/
Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #1691
PaulaR

Help setting audio to Toshiba RS-TX20

I am not having any luck setting up my DVR with audio. My husband just unplugged everything before I could label items. Here is my setup.
Toshiba TX-20
JVC audio receiver
RCA tv no audio on back
swich box
RCA satellite

The harddrive died and I just replaced it lots of storage no sound. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
PaulaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #1692
azitnay

What inputs does your TV have? You say it has no audio inputs, so that would imply that it has no video input, either. Does it only have coax?

Drew
Old 02-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #1693
PaulaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay View Post
What inputs does your TV have? You say it has no audio inputs, so that would imply that it has no video input, either. Does it only have coax?

Drew
It has just the one connection. I have video just not sound. I used to have the quick install guide and it showed how to do the audio, but can't find it.
The sound is just coming from the tv and if you record something on the TX-20 no sound comes out at all. So I have the programs no audio period.
PaulaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #1694
azitnay

I still don't understand what you mean by video and not sound... Either you're using a coaxial connection, which carries both video and sound, or you're using composite cables, which should be yellow (video), white (sound), and red (sound).

If the quick install guide helped before, perhaps it'll help again... Amazon has a link to both the manual and the quick install guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-RS-TX2...3532153&sr=8-1

I believe the quick install guide is linked as "Supplementary Guide".

Drew
Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #1695
slyone

Is there any way I can use MRV with the TX20? I was hoping for a way to transfer content from existing (newer) networked machines to the TX20 for burning purposes?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #1696
azitnay

First of all, nothing you transfer via MRV is burnable. To burn, you must record on the unit itself.

That being said, if your RS-TX20 is subscribed to TiVo Plus, then you can transfer SD recordings from other TiVos via MRV. You can't however, transfer HD recordings from Series3's and TiVo HD's, as the RS-TX20 doesn't support them natively.

Drew
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #1697
slyone

Thanks Drew. So what is the "Tivo Plus" service..and how much? I hadn't had the TX20 hooked up for a couple months until last evening and have a message to try Tivo Plus?? But even with Plus, I would be able to transfer to but not burn to disc? and yes, I am only speaking of standard definition.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #1698
Mikeguy

"TIVO Plus" is the basic TIVO subscription service (as opposed to "TIVO Basic," a limited version of that provided as part of the Toshiba RS-TX20/60 players, in part to entice you in the door to then subscribe to the regular TIVO service).
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #1699
azitnay

TiVo Plus costs anywhere from $8.31 per month (by paying $299 up front for three years of service) to $12.95 per month. Many more details are available at www.tivo.com.

But yes, you still won't be able to burn recordings transferred from other TiVos via MRV. The one thing you can do is run cables between the A/V outputs of the other TiVo and the A/V inputs of the RS-TX20, and then simultaneously play the recording on the other TiVo and record it on the RS-TX20. That will essentially perform an analog transfer, and allow you to burn as well. I assume this method would work without TiVo Plus as well.

However, that's a pretty hacky solution... In my opinion, it's far cleaner to transfer the recordings to a computer via TTG, and burn them to a DVD from there using standard PC software.

Drew
Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #1700
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I ordered one of the HD TiVo's that was on woot.com last week. I plan on keeping my RS-TX20 as a simple DVR in another room with TiVo Basic. What can I expect when I downgrade the TX20? I am assuming I can forget about Season Passes, Wishlists, TivoCast, MRV, TTG, and the info for the channel guide will be limited. What am I missing? Will this take effect as soon as I transfer the account to the HDTiVo?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #1701
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
Will this take effect as soon as I transfer the account to the HDTiVo?
Yes, I read that the TX20 will also have to be restarted as well.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #1702
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
I ordered one of the HD TiVo's that was on woot.com last week. I plan on keeping my RS-TX20 as a simple DVR in another room with TiVo Basic. What can I expect when I downgrade the TX20? I am assuming I can forget about Season Passes, Wishlists, TivoCast, MRV, TTG, and the info for the channel guide will be limited. What am I missing? Will this take effect as soon as I transfer the account to the HDTiVo?
I dropped my RS-TX20 back to TiVo Basic a few months ago (I'm essentially only using it as a DVD player now, and recording the occasional conflict). Here's a more or less full list of the differences:

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...s_content.html

In short, everything you mentioned, plus a bunch more .

Assuming you're transferring the service plan to the new unit, it'll revert upon its first connection.

Drew
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #1703
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone View Post
Yes, I read that the TX20 will also have to be restarted as well.
I don't remember that being the case... If it were, then there'd be quite an incentive to keep the unit running with no loss of power long after dropping service.

Drew
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #1704
Mikeguy

Quote:
I dropped my RS-TX20 back to TiVo Basic a few months ago (I'm essentially only using it as a DVD player now, and recording the occasional conflict). Here's a more or less full list of the differences:

Assuming you're transferring the service plan to the new unit, it'll revert upon its first connection.

Drew
Unfortunately, as noted here, TIVO Basic does not provide for TivoToGo--if it did, a TIVO Basic player would be so sweet as a second player, with no subscription charge ...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #1705
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I dropped my RS-TX20 back to TiVo Basic a few months ago (I'm essentially only using it as a DVD player now, and recording the occasional conflict).
Mine's been off for the past 4 months ... I should probably boot it up and get it "current" again.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #1706
azitnay

Yeah... We don't watch too many DVD's, and have plenty of other TiVos for conflict duty, so it's amazing how long our RS-TX20 will sometimes go before the menu is visited. I went into the menu the other day to schedule a recording, and was prompted with a months-old PTCM about a lineup change.

Drew
Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #1707
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:

Drew
Wow, there is a lot of basic functionality that I didn't expect it to lose. Specifically the ability to sort the Now Playing list, search by title, browse by time & channel. Oh well, I can't afford two subscriptions. Unless TiVo wants to give me a 2 for 1 deal.

I am sure that I have read before that TiVo would continue the TiVo Plus service for a year after the account was transfered. Or was that only when transferring a Lifetime subscription to a different machine?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #1708
azitnay

Yeah, TiVo really locked down basic as much as possible, obviously to try to get as many subscribers as possible.

Right, if you took advantage of the lifetime transfer options available recently (which cost $199 to perform), they gave you a free year on the old unit (effectively worth half the transfer fee, with the new MSD being $99 per year).

Drew
Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #1709
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Man. I am really going to miss some of those features.

Have any of you had any luck in talking TiVo into a 2 for 1 rate? I might as well give that a shot when I get my HD unit.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #1710
azitnay

Keep in mind that since you'll have a subscribed TiVo, you can always use its searching and browsing features, and then simply schedule the manual recording on the RS-TX20. Not ideal, but not too bad.

I'm not sure you'll have any luck talking TiVo into a 2-for-1 deal... They're losing money as it is .

Drew