TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #151
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpilot View Post
...as of LAST NIGHT -- YOU CAN GET HD VIA CABLECARD!)
If I already have a CableCard (S-Card), would the HD Channels be turned on automatically or do I have to call them?

Quote:
Here are the rates:
CableCARD rental fee: 1.75
Additional CableCARD rental fee: 4.75
If you want the regular HD channels (A&E, ESPN, Discover, NatGeographic, etc) it's $6 per CableCARD.
So, assuming they are NOT providing M-Cards, you would be charged $1.75+$6 for the first Card and $4.75+$6 for the second one? That adds up to $18.50 (per TiVo), which seems like a lot considering that was the monthly rent of their DVR until they increased it recently to $22 (approx.).

Right now I'm beign charged $1.75 for the S-Card that I have plus $6.75 for "digital access" and I don't get the HD Channels through the CableCard (yet). Are you sure the $6 you mentioned are $6.00 and not $6.75? If that were the case then we would be talking about $20 per TiVo in CableCards, which is very expensive, compared to what our friends in the 50 states are being charged. It seems like to me like they are "letting us win", while they end up making more money.

Have they made any statement regarding the number of CableCards they are willing to rent to each client?

Quote:
If they give you crap, ask to talk to Neddy Acevedo (787-766-0909).
Is Neddy a supervisor or something? How come she has a different phone number?

Thanks for all your help!

It looks like we're getting there...

Now, if we could make them provide us M-Cards and/or get them to lower their prices that would be even better!

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks again!
(2) TiVo Mini's with Lifetime

TiVo Fan since 2005

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #152
prpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
If I already have a CableCard (S-Card), would the HD Channels be turned on automatically or do I have to call them?
For HBO, Starz,Cinemax and Showtime yes, they were turned on automatically for me. And should be on for everybody since it's a free service (again assuming you are paying for the respective premium service)

Quote:
So, assuming they are NOT providing M-Cards, you would be charged $1.75+$6 for the first Card and $4.75+$6 for the second one? That adds up to $18.50 (per TiVo), which seems like a lot considering that was the monthly rent of their DVR until they increased it recently to $22 (approx.).
I know.. I'm thinking of just returning the second S-Card. I need to do more research as to the FCC requirements/regulations. i.e. Does the FCC force cable companies to distribute M-cards? My guess is not.

Quote:
Right now I'm beign charged $1.75 for the S-Card that I have plus $6.75 for "digital access" and I don't get the HD Channels through the CableCard (yet). Are you sure the $6 you mentioned are $6.00 and not $6.75?
Regular cable customers also pay 6.75 for digital access (that just gives you access to the music channels (401-499) and the general entertainment channels (100-199). I believe you can cancel this service if you don't care about those channels. However, that also will take away your NBA season pass, MLB League pass, and/or pay-per-view (by phone -- not on demand, of course) privileges.

Quote:
Have they made any statement regarding the number of CableCards they are willing to rent to each client?
Haven't seen that anywhere

Quote:
Is Neddy a supervisor or something? How come she has a different phone number?
She's a customer service advocate (not sure what that means). She contacted me after the FCC contacted them about our situation.

Last edited by prpilot : 02-22-2008 at 04:52 PM.
prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #153
Joybob

OK, dumb it down for me. What is the price difference between renting their DVR and 2 CableCards?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #154
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
OK, dumb it down for me. What is the price difference between renting their DVR and 2 CableCards?
It looks like one would save somewhere between $2 to $4 a month having 2 cable cards instead of using the M-Card from their SA8300HDC DVR... but we won't know the final number until someone gets this service for a full month and reports back to the forum...

This is an option for TiVoHD users, but for those of us with S3's we are kind of forced to get the 2 cable cards, which until now was not an option.

Good luck to us all!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #155
Joybob

Ok. I was at Onelink today to get a date for installing my cablecards and I have news.

CC #1. $1.75 Rental + $5.50 Monthly access charge + $16.00 HD access.

= $23.25 for 1 Card.

CC #2. $1.75 Rental + $3.00 Access + $6.00 HD access.

= $10.75 For second card.

Works out to $34.00 for 2 CableCards with HD channels.

There's a discount if you have their Phone+Internet service which works out to $24.00 for 2 CableCards.

The website doesn't currently list the rental fees for their DVR box but, these current figures simply aren't encouraging.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #156
prpilot

Quote:
...The website doesn't currently list the rental fees for their DVR box but, these current figures simply aren't encouraging.
Here are the rates from their website: http://www.onelinkpr.com/portal/imag...es/tarifas.pdf. The DVR 'starts' at $11.99. I was paying about $22.99 monthly for my DVR.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #157
Bumbestia

Does this price is for a Mcard or a SCard? Because if it is a Mcard We only need one for the Tivo HD right? With this rates is it better to use the SA8300HDC card and put it in the Tivo!! I am been charged $10.99 for a SA8300HDC DVR right now in my current bill!! I have all the Premiums, digital Plus and the HD package and also Power Link(internet) So what's the benefit of using the Cable Cards instead of the SA8300HDC card? Future upgrades? Compatibility? Why the are charging $16.00 for HD acces if I already have the service and using thier HDDVR? Anyone have a comment on this!!

Quote:
Ok. I was at Onelink today to get a date for installing my cablecards and I have news.

CC #1. $1.75 Rental + $5.50 Monthly access charge + $16.00 HD access.

= $23.25 for 1 Card.

CC #2. $1.75 Rental + $3.00 Access + $6.00 HD access.

= $10.75 For second card.

Works out to $34.00 for 2 CableCards with HD channels.

There's a discount if you have their Phone+Internet service which works out to $24.00 for 2 CableCards.

The website doesn't currently list the rental fees for their DVR box but, these current figures simply aren't encouraging.

Bumbestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #158
prpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbestia View Post
Does this price is for a Mcard or a SCard?
It's for a 'CableCARD', but right now they are ony distributing S-Cards. I'm trying to find out now if they are legally required to distribute M-Cards since that's all we need for a Tivo HD.

Quote:
...With this rates is it better to use the SA8300HDC card and put it in the Tivo!! I am been charged $10.99 for a SA8300HDC DVR right now in my current bill!!
$10.99 ? Wow... You have a very good deal!!! In my first month with 1 CableCARD and no DVR my cable bill went down $25 (w/out basic HD). I'm waiting to see how my bill looks now with 2 CableCARDS and basic HD (I will report back on what I find).

Quote:
...So what's the benefit of using the Cable Cards instead of the SA8300HDC card? Future upgrades? Compatibility?
There should be a price and functionality benefit. Onelink is taking away the price benefit since they are charging that stupid $6 for Basic HD (which I also have to research to see if they are legally allowed to do that -- I would like to hear from people in the mainland to see if that's how Comcast,Verizon,TimeWarner do it). In terms of functionality.. what can I say? Tivo is 100 times better than the stupid DVR Onelink provides!!

Quote:
Why the are charging $16.00 for HD acces if I already have the service and using thier HDDVR? ...
So right now you are paying $10.99 for your DVR, right? They claim that 6.00 of those is to pay for basic HD. The other 4.99 is for the actual rent of the DVR (and I think this is illegal -- i.e. they can't bundle the prices like this.. they have to actually state them as a separate item).

If anybody from the mainland is following this thread, how are your cable companies charging you for CableCARDs?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #159
Elementalism

I just wanted to drop by and say congrats to you guys for getting your cable company put in their place.

I had a hell of a time getting Charter to get a multi-stream cablecard installed on my TiVoHD up here in cold Minnesota. So I can understand your pain and frustration when dealing with these state regulated monopolies.
Elementalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #160
Joybob

Question is, why is there an access fee and HD package fee for CableCards but not their DVR?

We should google up some other cable companies to see what they do.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #161
crabell

I got my HD Channels!

...well, actually just some of them...

I called to get the HD channels authorized on my CableCard (S-Card) and the service rep. said it could not be done. I said "Ok, thanks" and called right back.

This time I got someone else who was very nice and helpful... I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with him and managed to get the HD version of the premium channels that I have (Cinemax & Showtime) working. He tried to get the other HD channels working, but couldn't so he offered to send someone to my house to see what the problem was. I actually refused because we're a bit busy at work and I couldn't just tell my boss that I need to go home to play with my TiVo.

Anyhow, I was not told that having access to these HD Channels would cost me anything and I didn't ask, since I'd rather not pay for them... or would much rather wait until my next bill to see what happens.

Generally speaking, it seem like to me that if you don't get the answer you want from one rep., you can just say "thanks" and call again, and again, until you get what you want... you just need to be very patient.

Good luck to us all!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #162
lrhorer

CableCard

Quote:
It looks like their computer system is not setup to handle two cable cards.
That's bull pookey. If their system can handle trwo separate TVs with CableCards then it can handle two CableCards in a single TiVo. With S-cards, the two host IDs are different. To all intents and purposes, it's two separate receivers. It looks that way to the CableCard and to the CATV company's computer.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #163
prpilot

Quote:
Question is, why is there an access fee and HD package fee for CableCards but not their DVR?.
Joybob, see my above post. They claim that this access fee is already bundled as part of the DVR rental. What I'm trying to find out now is to see if that's legal... I believe that by law they are required to list the prices separately in their rate card.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM   #164
Joybob

Not likely. If they're charging $11 bucks for the DVR, with 6 bucks going to HD channels and a 3? dollar access charge, they'd be charging $2 dollars for the DVR, which is unlikely.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #165
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's bull pookey. If their system can handle two separate TVs with CableCards then it can handle two CableCards in a single TiVo. With S-cards, the two host IDs are different. To all intents and purposes, it's two separate receivers. It looks that way to the CableCard and to the CATV company's computer.
We all agree with your statement and we've managed to get them to admit that they actually can. Of course they said they just upgraded their system, but we don't care as long as we get our CableCards working...

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #166
crabell

Quote:
Not likely. If they're charging $11 bucks for the DVR, with 6 bucks going to HD channels and a 3? dollar access charge, they'd be charging $2 dollars for the DVR, which is unlikely.
Just a few thoughts...

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but I guess they can even argue that they do not charge for their equipment, just for the "service" to those that use their DVR.

Of course they will not be stupid enough to put this in writing, since it would be obvious they are just trying to justify the "high prices" they are quoting those of us that refuse to user their DVR.

At least we are getting there in terms of funcionality and it might take another year, but I'm guessing the prices will come down to the point where they wil be reasonable.

Good luck to us all!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #167
Joybob

Good news. I got my 2 cablecards with HD. Everything is running sexy.

Now to add another 1 TB drive and I'm set.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #168
crabell

Quote:
Good news. I got my 2 cablecards with HD. Everything is running sexy.
Congratulations!

Did you get all the HD channles or just the HD versions of the Premium Channels?

Are you going to end up paying $24 for 2 CableCards, as per your previous post, or did you manage to get a better rate?

Enjoy!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #169
CableCard

Guys,

Any news? I'm also a Onelink Customer. I was trying to buy the Tivo locally, but I was able to find it only at Costo. It's a series 3 Tivo. I would like to check prices on Series 2. Any idea where I can find it?

Thanks!!
CableCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #170
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableCard View Post
Guys,

Any news? I'm also a Onelink Customer. I was trying to buy the Tivo locally, but I was able to find it only at Costo. It's a series 3 Tivo. I would like to check prices on Series 2. Any idea where I can find it?

Thanks!!
There are plenty of news... read the latest posts...

Basically, Onelink is providing the CableCards with HD channels, what's not clear to me right now is the actual pricing. People seem to be getting different rates and since its too recent nobody (to my knowledge) has gone through an entire billing cycle to report how much they are beign charged for the CableCards.

I would buy the TiVoHD they have at Costco. When I bought it there was a $50 automatic rebate, so I got it for $249 + Tax.

You could get an S2 locally at RadioShack, but it costs MORE than the TiVoHD. I know that it doesn't make sense, but that's the price they have. However, there may be a manufacturer's mail-in rebate, I'm not sure, you need to check that at the TiVo website.

Another alternative is to order the S2 from any vendor that delivers to Puerto Rico, since you cannot purchase it directly from TiVo for some unknown reason. I've managed to get deliveries from Cuicuit City, Weakness, and the TiVoCommunity Store without a problem, there may be others.

Good luck!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Last edited by crabell : 03-09-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #171
prpilot

Quote:
Alright..so here it is:

Price with all Premium and HD channels, PowerLink (4mb) and OneVoice (21.99) + taxes = $221 /month (with their DVR)

Price with all Premium and HD channels, PowerLink (4mb) and OneVoice (21.99) + taxes = $215 /month (with 2 calblecards on my 1 TivoHD)

I don't know where the $6 savings came from.. but I'll take it. Still researching whether or not they are obligated to distribute M-Cards (at which time I'll go down to $205/month).
Old 03-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #172
CableCard

Guys,

I called them today. The said that there are 3 different prices depending if you are a 1play 2play or 3play customer... if you have video, internet and voice services you get a better price than a customer with only video.

I will post the different price they have as soon as I find the list where I wrote it...
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #173
Joybob

Quote:
Alright..so here it is:

Price with all Premium and HD channels, PowerLink (4mb) and OneVoice (21.99) + taxes = $221 /month (with their DVR)

Price with all Premium and HD channels, PowerLink (4mb) and OneVoice (21.99) + taxes = $215 /month (with 2 calblecards on my 1 TivoHD)

I don't know where the $6 savings came from.. but I'll take it. Still researching whether or not they are obligated to distribute M-Cards (at which time I'll go down to $205/month).
They give you a massive discount for having all 3 services from them.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #174
crabell

Quote:
Guys,
I will post the different price they have as soon as I find the list where I wrote it...
Please do!
I took a look at their new pricing chart and I am very confused.
I plan to go this Saturday to pickup my second Cable Card, but it would be nice to know how much it will cost me each month.

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #175
prpilot

Quote:
I took a look at their new pricing chart and I am very confused.
That's awesome that they separated the prices for HD services and are actually listing CableCard prices.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #176
CableCard

Guys I found the information:

1st Card
Video Only
Monthly Charge Usage
$1.75 Cable Card Monthly Rent
$5.50 Access monthly charge
$16.00 High Definition Channels

Video and Voice or Video and Internet
Monthly Charge Usage
$11.00 High Definition Channels

Video, Voice and Internet
Monthly Charge Usage
$6.00 High Definition Channels

2nd Card... They said it doesn't matter how many services you have. They will always charge you the same.

Monthly Charge Usage
$6.00 High Definition Channels

I hope this helps!!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #177
crabell

Quote:
Guys I found the information...

I hope this helps!!
Thanks for the info!

If you have a TiVoHD... it looks like you are better off getting the M-Card from their SA8300HDC, than to get 2 Cable Cards... interesting.

I'm going to get the second Cable Card for my S3 tomorrow... wish me luck.

Thanks again!

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #178
crabell

Quote:
I'm going to get the second Cable Card for my S3 tomorrow... wish me luck.
No Luck!

I went to the Levittown office and they said they have no CableCards, don't know if they are expecting any or when they would arrive... So I just left.

Thankfully I had a technichan scheduled for a visit to try and get my HD channels working, since I'm only getting the HD version of the premium channels. He did not get them working, but did manage to get a Supervisor to look for the 2 CableCards on the Hato Rey office.

He's supposed to call me on Monday to set up a visit for the installation.

I hope this does the trick...

TiVo Fan since 2005

Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #179
crabell

I did not get a call back from the Supervisor... ...and, of course, there is no way to contact him...

So, I decided to take prpilot's advice and called Neddy Acevedo at Onelink's main office (not customer service) to ask for her help. She's no longer working on the same department, but did put me in contact with Esther Curbelo, who took very good care of me. She was very nice and scheduled my current CableCard troubleshoting and second CableCard install for this Wednesday.

I sure hope this actually does the job... I'll keep you guys posted...

TiVo Fan since 2005

Last edited by crabell : 03-10-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #180
CableCard

Hey Crabell, did they finally installed the second card?