Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #2671
Xtra7973

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfriedland View Post
But the firewall is off already...
Follow this to fix your DNS problem, which I think you have. http://www.dvrpedia.com/Zipper_-_SAp...laying_List.22
Did you try to ping a website from the Tivo?
Xtra7973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #2672
rbautch
User

If all else fails, try this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #2673
goony

Sanity check: Slicer V6.2 to V6.2a and re-Tweak

I need to get my 3 Zippered DTivos "modernized".

They are all still running V6.2 and have old hacks. I tried the "no slices" upgrade from V6.2 to V6.2a a while back, but it did not seem to work... of course, the time displayed in the schedule was off for an hour during the DST weeks between the old and the new.

I do have the V6.2a slices in my MFS SwSystem directory.

I need a sanity check that my planned steps to a hacked V6.2a system are correct:
  1. Buy the "slicer" and run it on each of my boxes per instructions at http://www.dvrupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6
  2. Reboot so that it is now running the V6.2a image
  3. Run tweak_uninstall.sh to clean out the old hacks
  4. Download, copy and run the latest tweak.sh to put in the latest & greatest hacks

Does this look workable?

Thanks!

Update: I just looked at the latest tweak.sh and it looks like it finds the uninstaller, or downloads one if it needs it... so i looks like I can skip step 3 altogether.

Last edited by goony : 03-07-2008 at 06:06 AM.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #2674
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
I need a sanity check that my planned steps to a hacked V6.2a system are correct:
That should work fine. tweak.sh itself never changes - it's just a wrapper script that downloads and installs the latest version of the main script, which is called start.sh. One more thing you'll need to do is reapply superpatch. Follow the link in the Zipper directions to download the 6.2a version from DDB.

or

Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #2675
goony

All went well - thanks rbautch

Two of my boxes didn't have the slice that I wanted (I decided to make them match their hardware type) so I first had to grab the desired slice and do a dbload on them.

After that, I just did
  1. slicer <desired version name>
  2. ran superpatch
  3. ran tweak.sh (deleted old stuff, loaded all new tweaks)
Of course, I had to download stuff, move it to my DTivos, reboots, etc.

Last edited by goony : 03-08-2008 at 07:16 PM.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #2676
gbakakos

Upgrade from 7.2 to 9.1 loose Network, Telnet, FTP

I upgraded using Sapper and Slicer from 7.2 to 9.1 After I applied the slices I lost my network connection. Could not telnet or perform FTP.

I have a Toshiba sd-h400 series 2 box

The steps I took.

1. Used SApper to apply a new image
2. Setup the network with Static IP
3. Script ran just fine no errors.
4. Put HD back in box
5. Ran Sapper script for remaining hacks
6. Verified it all worked. And it did after guide setup.
7. Verified that 9.1 update was brought down and waiting to be installed.
8. Ran Slicer with no problems or errors.
9. Lost network connectivity after that. IP is still there but no Signal present.

My Question is did I do something wrong here?

And if this is what happens!! then how do I restore the network back? so I can Telnet, FTP and get guide info again.

As you can tell I'm kind of new at this. Last time I touched the box was a year ago.

Any help out there?

Thanks
gbakakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #2677
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

I have found that every single time I use Slicer, I've lost all telnet access, and rezippering never has worked to restore it. I end up having to Instantcake the whole thing from scratch. Because of this, I have abandoned the use of Slicer altogether.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #2678
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbakakos View Post
And if this is what happens!! then how do I restore the network back? so I can Telnet, FTP and get guide info again.
Get a serial cable for debugging. If you don't have one, then you may have to pull your drive and rehack the new software.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #2679
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
I have found that every single time I use Slicer, I've lost all telnet access, and rezippering never has worked to restore it. I end up having to Instantcake the whole thing from scratch. Because of this, I have abandoned the use of Slicer altogether.
This is why I'd recommed to read thru the scripts you're using to get at least get some idea of what they're doing. Reimaging just because of lost telnet access is COMPLETELY unneccesary.

Last edited by Da Goon : 03-22-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #2680
gbakakos

Quote:
I upgraded using Sapper and Slicer from 7.2 to 9.1 After I applied the slices I lost my network connection. Could not telnet or perform FTP.

I have a Toshiba sd-h400 series 2 box

The steps I took.

1. Used SApper to apply a new image
2. Setup the network with Static IP
3. Script ran just fine no errors.
4. Put HD back in box
5. Ran Sapper script for remaining hacks
6. Verified it all worked. And it did after guide setup.
7. Verified that 9.1 update was brought down and waiting to be installed.
8. Ran Slicer with no problems or errors.
9. Lost network connectivity after that. IP is still there but no Signal present.

My Question is did I do something wrong here?

As you can tell I'm kind of new at this. Last time I touched the box was a year ago.

Any help out there?

Thanks
Quote:

Well that's not good news.

I'm not sure if I have a driver issue because I'm going from 7.2 to 9.1.
My last go around I answered yes to the question about the 2.0 usb drivers needed to be downloaded and applied. First time I did not do that. But I'm not to keen on applying the slices and finding out that I need to do this all over again.

The fact that it says no signal makes me think it may be a driver issue. The USB device is a Linksys WUSB11 USB WiFi Wireless TiVo Adapter. Has been running well since Oct of 2006.

I now have it back on 7.2 with everything working again. If I run Slicer my thinking is it's going to wack the network again Unless the 2.0 drivers are required with 9.1 upgrade.

Anyone have any issues like this? How did you fix it?
Old 03-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #2681
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I'm not sure if I have a driver issue because I'm going from 7.2 to 9.1.
It probably is.
Quote:
The fact that it says no signal makes me think it may be a driver issue. The USB device is a Linksys WUSB11 USB WiFi Wireless TiVo Adapter.
Ahh...wireless adapter...it's a driver/kernel issue.
Quote:
Anyone have any issues like this? How did you fix it?
Check your pm box.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #2682
kimsan
underling

Quote:
Odd. I've only had the Slicer fail once and that was due to impatience. I though it had died and ended up rebooting into a clean image so had to Zipper myself back to happiness.

Since then I've had no issues. Run the Slicer per instructions, followed the prompts, walked away for 15 minutes or so, came back and hit a return (in some cases the process completed without returning the prompt) and finished out to a hacked latest version.

I also tend to re-Tweak to catch up. Tweaking 6.3f got me onto TWP 2.1beta. I'm glad i did.

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #2683
gbakakos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon View Post
It probably is.

Ahh...wireless adapter...it's a driver/kernel issue.

Check your pm box.

Thanks for the help once again. Back up and running better than ever.

Update: ok I spoke to soon...

Seems to randomly reboot every once in a while. Have any idea what causes that? Or is there a specific log I can look into to see what may be causing it to happen. everything else sems to be fine, I have ftp, telnet and the wifi seems to be all working fine.

I guess I could do it all over again but I thought I would ask first.

My assumption in doing all this is that I must upgrade to 9.1 in order to keep my guide coming in. Is that correct or could I just stay at 7.2 forever?

Update #2 - Looks like the rebooting issue has gone away for now. After doing it 3 times or so it has ot done it since I wrote this post the first time.

Thanks

Last edited by gbakakos : 03-23-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Reboot issue
Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #2684
cat3rn
cat3rn

Big Grin Endless Reboot

I am using PTVnet with the InstantCake 6.2 CD's. Everything worked great. I then applied the Enhancement script. using the enhanced mode. I updated the USB drivers when instructed. Could not connect to the Tivo. I then pulled the harddrive (again sigh) and reinstalled the PTVnet and InstantCake. Again everything worked fine. I then applied the Enhancement Script and decided not to update the USB drivers.

That is the only change I made. Now the system keeps rebooting right after the AlmostThere.png screen comes up.

I also created a new AlmostThere.png screen. Bliss with a couple changes. Just remove Bliss from the title and FTP to the correct folder.

Edit 1: Ok I did the same thing and bypassed the DHCP and the USB installs. Endless reboot gone but now no networking. Is there a way to get networking without the endless rebooting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlmostThereBliss.jpg (36.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by cat3rn : 03-27-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: More info
cat3rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #2685
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat3rn View Post
I am using PTVnet with the InstantCake 6.2 CD's. Everything worked great. I then applied the Enhancement script. using the enhanced mode. I updated the USB drivers when instructed. Could not connect to the Tivo. I then pulled the harddrive (again sigh) and reinstalled the PTVnet and InstantCake. Again everything worked fine. I then applied the Enhancement Script and decided not to update the USB drivers.

That is the only change I made. Now the system keeps rebooting right after the AlmostThere.png screen comes up.

I also created a new AlmostThere.png screen. Bliss with a couple changes. Just remove Bliss from the title and FTP to the correct folder.

Edit 1: Ok I did the same thing and bypassed the DHCP and the USB installs. Endless reboot gone but now no networking. Is there a way to get networking without the endless rebooting?
Tivo is very picky about the format of the splash screen graphic, and if it's not exactly right, your tivo will reboot endlessly. There's some specific information about it earlier in this thread (here). I posted some correctly formated splash screens here.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 03-28-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #2686
cat3rn
cat3rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
Tivo is very picky about the format of the splash screen graphic, and if it's not exactly right, your tivo will reboot endlessly. There's some specific information about it earlier in this thread (here). I posted some correctly formated splash screens here.
I was able to use your script without the rebooting problem after I decided not to do anything with the USB or network stuff. The rebooting problem started before I changed any PNG files. My AlmostThere,png works fine on my tivo.

What I would like to do is skip the USB and DHCP network stuff altogether. I have pulled my drive (left the top off the Tivo for now) at least 5 times. Using PTVnet and InstantCake 6.2 it works great but I would like to use 90% of your enhancements. I have tried to install the enhancements several times trying something different each time.

I cannot get the network to connect. I am using a TrendNet TU2-ET100. I would like to keep the PTVnet with InstantCake USB & Network drivers. Is there a way to make a new script that does not run either of those. Saying no to the questions for network and USB doesn't matter it still won't connect. If you know of any other reason why my network won't connect after I run your script let me know.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #2687
rbautch
User

I just uploaded a new version that should fix your issue. I don't have time to test it fully right now, but it should work. A few things to note:

If the script detects that you have PTVnet, it will prompt you for some network information, like static IP or DHCP. You can't skip that, or the script will exit.

The script sets up networking by inputting network parameters in the MFS database, which is different than how PTVnet does it. It replaces the PTVnet rc.sysinit.author file completely, and removes the /test.conf file in /init directory used by PTVnet to set up networking.

or

Old 03-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #2688
cat3rn
cat3rn

Quote:
I just uploaded a new version that should fix your issue. I don't have time to test it fully right now, but it should work. A few things to note:

If the script detects that you have PTVnet, it will prompt you for some network information, like static IP or DHCP. You can't skip that, or the script will exit.

The script sets up networking by inputting network parameters in the MFS database, which is different than how PTVnet does it. It replaces the PTVnet rc.sysinit.author file completely, and removes the /test.conf file in /init directory used by PTVnet to set up networking.
I thank you for the update I will check it out. However, I want to stay away from changing how PTVnet sets up the networking because it works. Can you tell me what it is about your script that you think will work? Cause I have no trouble with the way PTVnet does it. Is there a way to just skip the network setup in your script?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #2689
rbautch
User

Quote:
I thank you for the update I will check it out. However, I want to stay away from changing how PTVnet sets up the networking because it works. Can you tell me what it is about your script that you think will work? Cause I have no trouble with the way PTVnet does it. Is there a way to just skip the network setup in your script?
You can't skip it. The way the script does it is the preferred method.

or

Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #2690
cat3rn
cat3rn

Script Networking

Quote:
If I copy out the rc.sysinit.author from the /etc/rc.d/ folder and the MFS database (if I knew where it was located) run your script and then while I still have a networking connection (Doesn't fail till I install your script & reboot) transfer those files back and then reboot.

I looked and the test.conf file is already gone anyway.

Do you think that would work?

BTW where might I find this new update?

Also can I just install your version of TWP? and how?

Last edited by cat3rn : 03-29-2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Link needed
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #2691
gbakakos

Now that I have my Series 2 back up and running after using SApper and Slicer. Would I have any issues or what should I be aware of if I wanted to now apply Hackman to the box. I thought I recall that SApper moves the hacks around or somethng like that!!
Any suggestions? Don't do it!! Go ahead.. no problem!! ??

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #2692
rbautch
User

Quote:
Now that I have my Series 2 back up and running after using SApper and Slicer. Would I have any issues or what should I be aware of if I wanted to now apply Hackman to the box. I thought I recall that SApper moves the hacks around or somethng like that!!
Any suggestions? Don't do it!! Go ahead.. no problem!! ??

Thanks
Nothing to worry about if you read the Hackman readme first.

or

Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #2693
rbautch
User

Quote:
If I copy out the rc.sysinit.author from the /etc/rc.d/ folder and the MFS database (if I knew where it was located) run your script and then while I still have a networking connection (Doesn't fail till I install your script & reboot) transfer those files back and then reboot.

I looked and the test.conf file is already gone anyway.

Do you think that would work?

BTW where might I find this new update?

Also can I just install your version of TWP? and how?
Running tweak.sh again automatically downloads and runs the latest script. After you run it, you shouldn't have to do anything else.

or

Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #2694
idiack

Has anybody been successful using clock.sh. My series 2 TCD 240 always return a message when downloading fonts. Here is a copy of my bash window when I run sh clock.sh.

Sunugal-TiVo[{/enhancements}@(18:17:54)]# sh clock.sh
What time zone are you in?
1 Eastern
2 Central
3 Mountain
4 West
Enter the number corresponding to your time zone:2
Downloading font...
--18:18:06-- http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free...0Narrow%20Bold
%20Italic.ttf
=> `/var/hack/share/fonts/Arial Narrow Bold Italic.ttf'
Resolving www.webpagepublicity.com... 64.202.189.132
Connecting to www.webpagepublicity.com|64.202.189.132|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
18:18:10 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Font download failed. Exiting clock.sh.
Sunugal-TiVo[{/enhancements}@(18:18:10)]#
idiack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #2695
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

And you put this in this thread because???????
Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #2696
rbautch
User

clock.sh is a script I wrote awhile back that is indeed included in the enhancements directory. It relied on a font downloaded from the internet which apparently is no longer available. I haven't had a chance to update it, and it's not high on my priority list. Any takers are welcome to it.

or

Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #2697
Soapm

Quote:
clock.sh is a script I wrote awhile back that is indeed included in the enhancements directory. .
Never thought to look at the files in that directory to see what toys you gave us. What exactly did it do?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #2698
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Never thought to look at the files in that directory to see what toys you gave us. What exactly did it do?
Here is the thread on it.

or

Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #2699
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

My point was - maybe it should have been a separate thread.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #2700
Carlton Bale

Check the other thread for an updated version. redistribute as appropriate. Note: it's untested.

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote