Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #5161
quick

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
Does test channels work with the new card in the old box. I think the tivo stores the channel list from the card, so on the old box, it's just using the stored channel list. Since the new box has only had the improperly configured card, it's not going to work until your cable company sends the INIT hit to it. You may also want to check the vctid is the same between the two cards. You can see this on the network cablecard screen. If the new card's set to 0, the card never got an init message.
Test channels do not work, soon as I put the card is it goes to "Aquiring Channel Information...."

Checked the network status, VCTID shows "9" so i guess that means something?

I am at my wits end here, I have switched 4 cards, 2 tivo units and i can't get past the FN Aquiring Channel Information.........

Tivo techs have no solution, Comcast reps have no solution.

What the hell is going on here????

EDIT/UPDATE: After 2 weeks and 10 or so M-Cards, I finally got a card to show the test channels, and working normally... thank god!

Last edited by quick : 02-23-2008 at 05:06 PM.
quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #5162
pauljb55
Now in Miami Beach

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
All Cable Cards need to have their encryption keys
refreshed at some rate.

The Bottom Line - Comcast needs to have your info
programmed properly to make sure you get hit at
whatever rate is needed.

But I want to give you a heads up. Since September
2007 - they have been using more complicated
encryption Algorithms and many "S" cards can not
handle the more complicated Algorithms - reliably.

I had all 5 of my "S" cards upgraded by Comcast to
"M" cards and the problem went away.

Thank you soooo much for the idea...I got online with support and said the same info that you provided...4 days later I had a tech out that knew what he was doing with an Mcard in hand....no problems since...

Thanks!

Between 2 accounts:
Two Roamio Pros
Four Premiers of varying levels
Two HD Tivos
One Mini
pauljb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #5163
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljb55 View Post
Thank you soooo much for the idea...I got online with support and said the same info that you provided...4 days later I had a tech out that knew what he was doing with an Mcard in hand....no problems since...

Thanks!
You're Welcome
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #5164
fatlard

Wow.. I am throughly confused.

1st cable card free right?
If I am on a digital package, then I am entitled to one free cable box in addition to the cable box?
fatlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #5165
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlard View Post
Wow.. I am throughly confused.

1st cable card free right?
If I am on a digital package, then I am entitled to one free cable box in addition to the cable box?
Ordinarily, the digital package includes one cable box OR one cable card. Each additional card or box is usually incurs an additional fee.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #5166
PaulNEPats

2/22 - 3/21 Add'l Digital Outlet(s): 5.00
With Digital Starter Cable Card Separate
Outlet Charge - $0.00, Digital Access -
$5.00.
$5.00.

God this sucks....
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #5167
wackymann

Just got my bill with the same bad news... I am now paying Comcast a grand total of $224.40 per month. Here's how it breaks down:

Digital Starter: $58.18
Digital Premiere w/Sports: $57.45
Comcast DVR: $12.95
3 Cable Cards: $15.00
Franchise: $0.49
Internet: $42.95
Phone: $27.99
Univ Connectivity: $0.56
Taxes, Fees: $8.83
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #5168
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
Just got my bill with the same bad news... I am now paying Comcast a grand total of $224.40 per month. Here's how it breaks down:

Digital Starter: $58.18
Digital Premiere w/Sports: $57.45
Comcast DVR: $12.95
3 Cable Cards: $15.00
Franchise: $0.49
Internet: $42.95
Phone: $27.99
Univ Connectivity: $0.56
Taxes, Fees: $8.83
Comcastic, indeed!
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #5169
marioc21

I just had comcast at my house this morning to install a cablecard in my tivohd. When I set up the appointment, the CSR told me that I would receive 2 cards. There was no charge for the first card and the second would cost me $1.99/month. When the Comcast tech showed up this morning he installed a multistream card. I have to call and confirm my new bill but I imagine then that there is no charge for the single multicard. For the record I live outside of Richmond, VA.

The only downside of the operation was that I lost HBOHD and StarzHD. I had been receiving those channels on the comcast box before the installation. But I guess I can't complain about losing something I wasn't paying for in the first place.
marioc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 PM   #5170
jjp007

Quote:
Originally Posted by miah View Post
I just picked up a Tivo HD tonight, and called Comcast to setup an appointment. The person I talked to told me I could pickup the cablecard at one of their stores and install it myself. This seems very different than what I've read everywhere. I haven't read all 170 pages of this thread, but has anybody else heard this?

I'm in Houston and I did it myself although it took a long time and a lot of errors on comcasts part. It took hours on hold, HOURS!!! to get through to anyone. I'm completely disgusted with Comcast atm. I have spent over 6 hours on hold and even more talking to people getting my HD Tivo set up right and after I finally got it working there was some kind of firmware upgrade on the SA DVR box in my bedroom and now my cable card doesn't work. I called AGAIN today and was told they were upgrading their on demand system (which i did get a letter in the mail about that) but after the firmware upgrade on my comcast dvr that box is working and my Tivo isn't. I can get regular channels but not the premium ones. They tried to rehit the CCard but it did not work. The channels will try to come in but will be very choppy then I get the error screen of death. Someone is coming out tomorrow between 2 and 5. Sigh, this has been the biggest pain in the ass and when I asked what was going to be done for me since i have wasted so much of my precious time dealing with this all the guy could say was call back when you get it fixed and you will get a credit. WTF....why do i have to call back?? I just hung up on him. whatever.
jjp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #5171
jlee301

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats View Post
$5.00.
$5.00.

God this sucks....
I have four outlets in my house, one using a comcast sd-stb. Two outlets using with TiVoHD with one MCard each. Last outlet with a TiVo Series3 with two MCards. I ended up with the SD-STB free with no additional charge for that outlet as it comes free with me subscribing to Digital Classic.

However they did charge me for one digital outlet fee for the three rooms with the TiVos: with one MCard free while paying for the other three. Maybe you can persuade them to give you this as well.

My local CSR told me I could have ended up only paying for one MCard as my Series3 requires two with the first being free (with the remaining two MCards being free with my two TiVoHD). But in order to do this, I would have to pay a digital outlet fee for each of my TiVos. So by doing the math, I rather just keep it the way I have it now.
jlee301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #5172
OvrrDrive

My experience with it goes like this...

It took 2 weeks to get a tech out with an M card as they kept handing out the work orders in the field and not giving them a cable card even though it clearly said to bring one. Yesterday I called the tech (yes I stored his number a while ago) and asked him if he got one yet and he made a special trip to get it and brought it by the house last night without an appointment to install it.

We popped it in and after the dispatcher (a new one apparently) tried to set it up she gave the atypical response that the card was bad because she couldn't get it to light up. The tech went and got the spare and popped it in and at first we thought it took the hit but realized later that it wasn't getting anything. He asked for one of the experienced dispatchers several times and she kept giving him the run around for some reason, but as he was about to leave he called another number and asked for the other guy by name and once he got him on the phone the guy lit it up in about 5 minutes. Apparently she had everything set up right but the CC was on the wrong "outlet" in the account. He dropped it down and it started working immediately. All channels seemed like they loaded in about 5 minutes.

I did have to reboot because I got the gray screen during activation, but after the reboot everything was perfect. It took a combination of getting a great tech out here, me being on the Tivo.com support pages reading off what the box was supposed to be doing and how it was supposed to be setup, and an experienced dispatcher that understood how the account was supposed to be set up in order to get it working.

Before I went to bed I hooked up the MyDVD expander and knock on wood, everything is great now. I do get a lot of flicker and a gray screen whenever I change channels or bring up the menu but I think that's because I'm feeding my FP_T5084 a native signal and letting ti do the up and down scaling and that's just the tivoHD changing modes. It's not too bad though and if that's the only problem I have with it I can deal.

Thanks to all in this thread (even though I've only read about the last 3 months of it) for giving me the tools I needed to get this working.

OvrrDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #5173
RoundBoy

I'll chime in with my comcast story ..

Last week my TivoHD, Samsung 46" LCD, and Comcast installer were all scheduled for the same day. The tivo came and was activated.. and the comcast guy shows up with my single MCard.

The setup was very quick.. but it turns out my card was registered on another account, and couldn't be removed. He did install a single s-card so I could use the tivo for something, with an appointment the next day for mcard reinstall.

The second guy came, and got the card up and running quickly, and all my channels came right up once the support on the other end got it all entered in. One funny thing was that I was only able to use a single tuner until i rebooted the tivo... even though it clearly saw it as an mcard.

Comcast in the philly suburbs confirms that I was unable to just pick up a card, which is opposed to what they told me on the phone a few days befoer my appointment.
RoundBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #5174
sllong

Comcast install

The comcast installer came out this morning to install my cable card. He brought out Several M series cards as he said his experiences were they never worked right. He new what he was doing and plugged in the card and called his rep. He got everything working on the first try. He checked multiple channels included the premiums. From the the time he arrived to the time he left was about 15 minutes and everything works. I offer my thanks for these forums, they let me know what I needed to do ahead of time, What questions to ask and what to look for. I had even printed the troubleshooting guides just in case.
sllong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #5175
jjp007

My story continues. After finally getting my cable card authorized after hours on the phone with Comcast something went wrong a few nights ago. I noticed around 5 am (I have a Comcast HD DVR in my bedroom) there was a firmware update going on. When I got up the next day my cable card in my HD tivo wasn't working on the premium channels. I was getting the gray error screen saying to call your cable company. So I call and they try to resend a hit and reauthorize it and it won't work. They guy even said that Comcast is working on their on demand service in my area and that could be the problem. He called him wife at home (even he has a tivo and said he lives in my area of town) and the wife said they were having the same problems. He sets up an appointment for a tech to come out today between 2pm and 5 pm and I told him to put on my order for the tech to bring some M Cards. Well 5 pm rolls around and no one is there. About 15 minuets later the same guy I talked to yesterday calls me to tell me the tech is running late and would be at my house at 7 pm. I'm pissed but what can you do. I leave to go eat some dinner and 10 minuets after I leave the house the tech calls and says he is at my house. I told him I would be home at 7 as instructed and hung up. He is waiting at my house and as I get out of the car he tells me he see's my problem is with the cable card but techs aren't sent out with cable cards!!!!!! I was furious! I told him goodbye and went to my apt. I then got on the phone and called the two numbers I have that have called me about the other problems I have had and I left a raving message on their voicemail. I wasted my whole day, took time off of work for nothing. So I finally get through to someone at Comcast and they tell me that my appointment shows it was cancelled! I tell them ummm no, the guy showed up late without the proper equipment!! She says she will set up another appointment and I told her to forget it. I would go back to the Comcast office and pick up my own card AGAIN, wait in the long lines that are always there and install it myself and then again sit on hold for hours trying to get it authorized and that wouldn't happen until Monday probably!
I demanded a credit for this month and she said she would. We will see.
I had to fight for the roadrunner internet credit they promised me two months ago.
What an incompetent company! I don't get how they stay in business. Oh wait they have customers like me who have no choice on their cable provider as my condo association has a contract with them. I am returning the DVR box in my bedroom. I will not pay them one more dime then I have to. I am probably going to even turn off the movie channels I have too. I get free basic cable so I will only have to pay for digital and that should include the HD, like TNT HD and such.
I haven't been this upset in a very long time. What a waste of time, my time! I figured out that I have spent 445 minutes, 7.42 hours from Jan 29 until today trying to get my cable card set up! How crazy is that?

I have also just found out that since Comcast took over Time Warner in my area, every time you make any changes to your service even if it's changing out a cable box they charge you $1.99. So everytime I've had to go into Comcast to get the correct box that works and to swap out cablecards I am being charged $1.99. They also now charge $24.95 when someone comes out to fix your cable which Time Warner didn't. I was not told of this and when the tech came out last week to fix the problem with THEIR HD DVR box I was charged $24.95 for that! No one told me and I would have never had someone come out for that price. I would have just returned the damn box. Comcast is nickel and dimeing their customers!

Last edited by jjp007 : 02-29-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #5176
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp007 View Post
My story continues. After finally getting my cable card authorized after hours on the phone with Comcast something went wrong a few nights ago. I noticed around 5 am (I have a Comcast HD DVR in my bedroom) there was a firmware update going on. When I got up the next day my cable card in my HD tivo wasn't working on the premium channels. I was getting the gray error screen saying to call your cable company. So I call and they try to resend a hit and reauthorize it and it won't work. They guy even said that Comcast is working on their on demand service in my area and that could be the problem. He called him wife at home (even he has a tivo and said he lives in my area of town) and the wife said they were having the same problems. He sets up an appointment for a tech to come out today between 2pm and 5 pm and I told him to put on my order for the tech to bring some M Cards. Well 5 pm rolls around and no one is there. About 15 minuets later the same guy I talked to yesterday calls me to tell me the tech is running late and would be at my house at 7 pm. I'm pissed but what can you do. I leave to go eat some dinner and 10 minuets after I leave the house the tech calls and says he is at my house. I told him I would be home at 7 as instructed and hung up. He is waiting at my house and as I get out of the car he tells me he see's my problem is with the cable card but techs aren't sent out with cable cards!!!!!! I was furious! I told him goodbye and went to my apt. I then got on the phone and called the two numbers I have that have called me about the other problems I have had and I left a raving message on their voicemail. I wasted my whole day, took time off of work for nothing. So I finally get through to someone at Comcast and they tell me that my appointment shows it was cancelled! I tell them ummm no, the guy showed up late without the proper equipment!! She says she will set up another appointment and I told her to forget it. I would go back to the Comcast office and pick up my own card AGAIN, wait in the long lines that are always there and install it myself and then again sit on hold for hours trying to get it authorized and that wouldn't happen until Monday probably!
I demanded a credit for this month and she said she would. We will see.
I had to fight for the roadrunner internet credit they promised me two months ago.
What an incompetent company! I don't get how they stay in business. Oh wait they have customers like me who have no choice on their cable provider as my condo association has a contract with them. I am returning the DVR box in my bedroom. I will not pay them one more dime then I have to. I am probably going to even turn off the movie channels I have too. I get free basic cable so I will only have to pay for digital and that should include the HD, like TNT HD and such.
I haven't been this upset in a very long time. What a waste of time, my time! I figured out that I have spent 445 minutes, 7.42 hours from Jan 29 until today trying to get my cable card set up! How crazy is that?
Where are you at, Houston did a firmware upgrade early Thursday moring and my CC hasn't worked since. I called yesterday, resulted in nothing, gave up tonight after being on hold 40 min.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #5177
jjp007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Where are you at, Houston did a firmware upgrade early Thursday moring and my CC hasn't worked since. I called yesterday, resulted in nothing, gave up tonight after being on hold 40 min.
Yes, I am in Houston too. I think you are in the same area as me looking at your information. Same thing happened. Look at your numbers and see if the firmware changed your CC numbers. I just a bit ago looked a the numbers.... cable card ID, host, data and unit address and all the numbers were the same except the Data nubmers so I went to comcast.com and did a live chat session and they are going to reauthorize the account tomorrow with the new numbers. Try that. At least since the cable guy didnt' have a card I won't be charged for that visit! So i guess in the end it did work out as I didn't realize that Comcast charges per truck roll.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #5178
jargiro

Frustrated with comcast in monmouth nj

I purchased a tivo hd drv for xmas

I'm still without a cablecard for this box!
I've had 2 appointments to install the cable cards
both were canceled on the day they were supposed to be installed
now I have a "direct" contact at comcast who I've called several times
everytime i call, she tells me they're out of stock & don't know when they
will be available.

I've been trying to get either an "s" or an "m" cablecard for over 2 months now!

Is anyone aware of a problem with the cablecards in new jersey
or have i just entered cablecard hell!!

Last edited by jargiro : 03-01-2008 at 01:15 PM.
jargiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #5179
jjp007

I fixed my own problem. Comcast can go suck it Thank goodness for message boards like this or I would be totally screwed and without cable due to Comcasts incompetence! Sad when you know more then their employees. How hard would it be for them to do the same google searches I did and learn the correct information to give to their customers? I don't see how they are still in business. I miss Time Warner, never thought I would say that.

Langree: I fixed my own problem. All my channels are back today. Call or I would suggest doing an live chat online with Comcast, give them all of the appropriate numbers (cable card ID, host, data and unit address) and have them start all over with the process. It will take 24 hours but it worked for me. Don't have them come out to fix it or they will show up without a cable card and try to charge you $24.95. Idiots.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #5180
hybucket

Here's one for you all.
I had my cards installed last week...went away for a few days, just came back, and discovered I no longer get ANY of the analog channels (2-99). I get most of the digital channels including HBO and SHowtime, but not USA and SciFi and a few other non-pays. Did guided set up over, a Comcast box in another room is getting them all. I have a TiVOHD with an M card. Any ideas? It's the weekend, and the crew at Comcast have no idea what I'm talking about.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #5181
jjp007

Comcast sent out some kind of firmware update and I think it might be messing with peoples CC's at least in Houston.

hybucket: check all of your numbers again to see if any of them have changed. i have now learned this is the first step if I am missing channels.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #5182
hybucket

Quote:
Comcast sent out some kind of firmware update and I think it might be messing with peoples CC's at least in Houston.

hybucket: check all of your numbers again to see if any of them have changed. i have now learned this is the first step if I am missing channels.
I am in Boston - none of the #'s have changed, and I'm not getting ANY channels from 2-99, and am missing all the music channels along with SciFi, USA, and a few assorted others with no rhyme or reason..
I've done the guided setup over, but no analog. They do not show up when I check the TEST CHANNELS in the Cable Card screen.

Last edited by hybucket : 03-02-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #5183
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Langree: I fixed my own problem. All my channels are back today. Call or I would suggest doing an live chat online with Comcast, give them all of the appropriate numbers (cable card ID, host, data and unit address) and have them start all over with the process. It will take 24 hours but it worked for me. Don't have them come out to fix it or they will show up without a cable card and try to charge you $24.95. Idiots.
Ya, I tried that Thursday, will try again tomorrow morning, pissed because I can't watch much beyond basic.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #5184
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
I am in Boston - none of the #'s have changed, and I'm not getting ANY channels from 2-99, and am missing all the music channels along with SciFi, USA, and a few assorted others with no rhyme or reason..
I've done the guided setup over, but no analog. They do not show up when I check the TEST CHANNELS in the Cable Card screen.
Did you do a restart(preferably a hard restart-remove power cord)?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #5185
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Did you do a restart(preferably a hard restart-remove power cord)?
Did the remove power cord thing...did the repeated set up....etc. Talked to COmcast, but like I said, it's the weekend and the guy didn't even know what a TiVO was. It's gotta be CableCard related, I'd think....
Old 03-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #5186
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Ya, I tried that Thursday, will try again tomorrow morning, pissed because I can't watch much beyond basic.
Ok. one more call this morning, no record of them even trying to hit my card last week, the guy kept me on hold 10 min, but 4 hours later and I have my channels back.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #5187
drhankz

Quote:
Ok. one more call this morning, no record of them even trying to hit my card last week, the guy kept me on hold 10 min, but 4 hours later and I have my channels back.
When any of the people here - Comcast Customers - need
a CableCard Hit - I have found the 1st line tech support
doesn't even know what you are asking for and usually
doesn't have access to the right parts of the system to
make it happen.

Whenever I need a HIT - I ask for a tech escalation
immediately. It is done within a minute and my channels
are back well before I hang up the phone. Sometimes
it pays to be the squeaky wheel
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #5188
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
When any of the people here - Comcast Customers - need
a CableCard Hit - I have found the 1st line tech support
doesn't even know what you are asking for and usually
doesn't have access to the right parts of the system to
make it happen.

Whenever I need a HIT - I ask for a tech escalation
immediately. It is done within a minute and my channels
are back well before I hang up the phone. Sometimes
it pays to be the squeaky wheel
I have the # they gave me when I picked up my card, it's essentially a direct line to teir 3.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #5189
drhankz

Quote:
I have the # they gave me when I picked up my card, it's essentially a direct line to teir 3.
That is what you need.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #5190
steinercat

Moving to Foster City, CA next month. (its around San Francisco)

Is Comcast the only game in that area?....And how well does the THD cooperate with their cable cards?

Thanks for any replies!
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote