Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #2941
need2act

higher bill with TV & CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler314 View Post
I'm totally with you, a page or two ago in this forum I mentioned that my bill went from 61.50 (DTValue package) to 66.85 with CC because TWCNYC only does "a la carte" pricing with CC's. To me this breaks FCC rules, you can't be told that you have to provide a service than price it significantly higher than using the box. And I have to point out that the DTValue package that "includes a cable box" also includes a CC by default since TWC is required to use CC's in it's own boxes as well. So now I'm being charged more and getting less.

I tried to find the right complaint form for the FCC, but the one I found linked in here somewhere pointed to a form that had lots of questions about telephone lines...not sure it's correct. If anyone can tell me the link to the correct form to file a complaint with the FCC over services relating to Cable please let me know!
In mid-February 2008, I too have been inquiring about pricing and came up against the same TWCNYC a la carte pricing plan for CC user. Just as you wrote, TWNYC wants more for you to rent their CCs than to rent their Cable box. And it does seem completely unfair and not in the spirit of the FCC guidelines for competition. Their pricing can only be based on 'loss of potential income' and not on 'cost of providing service'.

Any updates on this? Please keep me posted.
need2act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #2942
lousybeatnik

SO
I am in the Killeen Texas area and I just got back from Iraq and the first thing I did was go look for a Tivo for my HD TV and so I decided to settle on the HD Tivo. I use to have a series 1 tivo back in the day which I loved as I loved to mod as I upgraded the hard drive and added in the networking feature. I loved my series one as it had a lifetime subscription and well it made college so much nicer. So now here I am with a Series 3 and even thou I am unable to mod it. Or I think I am unable to the cable cards made me think I would be able to do something with them. The technician left an hour ago and setup took about an hour and a half. It was not smooth as the technician had never done one before and no one at my local time warner had to go off of a supplied document with some wrong information. At first he came with just one card and said he had to come back however I looked at the card and it was a MC card and I assured him it would work. Reading these forms I did not think they would have the MC cards and I would have to have 2 SD cards. It took a while of going thru the reboot and guided setup where we both expected the card to fail but to mine and his surprise it worked. I now have all channels on the very first try. It seamed to be everyones first time. So I am out alot of on-demand channels but I dont watch them anyhow and I even have all of my local HD channels. I seam to have a few channels in my HD teir that I have not paid for but I get them so I am not expecting to keep them.

Anyhow my experience so far is great, Time Warner in my area had no idea on what to do, they seam to hate cable cards but my tivo is up and running and so far so good, however just trying to get the cable card was a hassle as they try very hard to sell the on-demand feature but as I have said I am not really into that
lousybeatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #2943
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousybeatnik View Post
SO
I am in the Killeen Texas area and I just got back from Iraq and the first thing I did was go look for a Tivo for my HD TV and so I decided to settle on the HD Tivo. I use to have a series 1 tivo back in the day which I loved as I loved to mod as I upgraded the hard drive and added in the networking feature. I loved my series one as it had a lifetime subscription and well it made college so much nicer. So now here I am with a Series 3 and even thou I am unable to mod it. Or I think I am unable to the cable cards made me think I would be able to do something with them. The technician left an hour ago and setup took about an hour and a half. It was not smooth as the technician had never done one before and no one at my local time warner had to go off of a supplied document with some wrong information. At first he came with just one card and said he had to come back however I looked at the card and it was a MC card and I assured him it would work. Reading these forms I did not think they would have the MC cards and I would have to have 2 SD cards. It took a while of going thru the reboot and guided setup where we both expected the card to fail but to mine and his surprise it worked. I now have all channels on the very first try. It seamed to be everyones first time. So I am out alot of on-demand channels but I dont watch them anyhow and I even have all of my local HD channels. I seam to have a few channels in my HD teir that I have not paid for but I get them so I am not expecting to keep them.

Anyhow my experience so far is great, Time Warner in my area had no idea on what to do, they seam to hate cable cards but my tivo is up and running and so far so good, however just trying to get the cable card was a hassle as they try very hard to sell the on-demand feature but as I have said I am not really into that
Welcome Back!!! Thank you for your service!!! You are gonna love your THD.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #2944
JimWall

If you tune your tivo to the channel and it shows the Pay Per View video loop the I assume it is SDV with the PPV ad being the default channel.
As a side note you can call Cincinnati TW and ask for a 1 to 2 year contract bundle. I was able to save $30 off my bill for Digial Cable and high speed roadrunner.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #2945
dtmille2

SDV Channel Listing for Greensboro and Winston-Salem NC

SDV Channel Listing for Greensboro and Winston-Salem NC

After speaking with 4 different customer service reps one of them finally just said she would send me a list of channels I cannot receive with cable cards (and thus Tivo HD).

Two days later, I received a 3 page printout in the mail, showing the channels that are "switched digital" in the Winston-Salem and Greensboro NC areas. I've decided to post the lists below so that others can know ahead of time what channels they can or cannot receive from Time Warner in this area.

Here is the text from the top of the printout:

"The following channels are called "switch digital" channels and are not available with cable card (until such time as we have 2 way capable cards). Switch digital is a method to save bandwidth in order to improve overall quality by suppressing certain channels in a node until a customer in that node actually switches to that channel."

Switch Ditial Line Up
Greensboro and Winston-Salem

176 Azteca
492 Celebrity Shopping
162 Cinelatino
163 CNN en Esp
164 Discovery en espanol
325 ESPN PPV 1
326 ESPN PPV 2
327 ESPN PPV 3
328 ESPN PPV 4
329 ESPN PPV 5
330 ESPN PPV 6
143 ESPNU
165 EWTN en Espanol
173 Galavision
491 Gems TV
411 HBO HD West
403 HBO2W
409 HBOLW
401 HBOW
413 MAXW
169 MTV Spanish
167 MUN2
300 NBA Preview
345/360 NHL/MLB1
354/369 NHL/MLB10
355/370 NHL/MLB11
356/371 NHL/MLB12
357/372 NHL/MLB13
358/373 NHL/MLB14
346/361 NHL/MLB2
347/362 NHL/MLB3
348/363 NHL/MLB4
349/364 NHL/MLB5
350/365 NHL/MLB6
351/366 NHL/MLB7
352/367 NHL/MLB8
353/368 NHL/MLB9
170 Puma
434 SHOFW
493 Shop at Home
428 SHOSW
426 SHOTW
422 SHOW
437 Showtime HD West
424 SHOXW
168 Sorpresa
301 Team1
302 Team2
303 Team3
304 Team4
305 Team5
306 Team6
307 Team7
308 Team8
309 Team9
174 Telefutura
439 TMCW
441 TMCXW
172 Univision
171 Video Rolla
552 TBS HD
236 Playboy Tv
237 Ten Clips
238 Ten Blue
239 Ten Net
240 Ten Blox
122 FOX BN
569 GOLF/VERSUS
554 A&E HD
561 UNIVERSAL HD
555 HISTORY HD
575 CNN HD
581 LIFETIME MOVIES HD
557 HGTV HD
558 FOOD HD

Greensboro specific switched digital channels:

42 TV Guide Ash
42 TV Guide Burl
42 TV Guide Meb
42 TV Guide Rock
2 Gso Educational
2 Rockingham Edu
8 Public Access Gso
5 Burl Community Access

Winston-Salem specific switched digital channels:

2 Forsyth County Sch.
6 WS Public Access
12 WS TV Guide
13 WS City TV 13
53 WS Leased Access
13 Lexington City channel
13 Thomasville City Channel
2 Davidson County Tv Guide
13 Surry Comm College Channel
6 S/S/Y Bulletin board
12 Mocksville TV Guide

This printout was dated 12/4/2007. We are supposed to receive several other digital channels in the low 100's that we don't get, but we do seem to get the HD channels that we are supposed to receive and that aren't on this list.

Hope this helps!
dtmille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #2946
dtmille2

Update on Winston-Salem and Greensboro switched digital channels

Just talked to tech support at Time Warner, and they seem to think that I'm having signal strength issues that are keeping me from getting some of these channels. The will be out tomorrow night and I'll try to post an update. Maybe it's the signal, maybe not
dtmille2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #2947
Sheils

TiVo HD Cable card setup

[quote=subVert;6009766]All I can say is wow! I had myself all worked up from reading the horror stories on my forum, but Time Warner actually sent someone who had seen a TiVo before.

That makes me feel a whole lot better. I live in Brooklyn, and have a TWC guy coming tomorrow to install the cards. I'm keeping me fingers crossed...
Sheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #2948
Sheils

One more thing - Re: Time Warner NY

Have they started using switched video yet? If that's the case, my TiVo HD will be going back before it really gets warmed up! Too bad I didn't read about this until I ordered the thing
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #2949
tgirard

Thumbs up TWC Albany, NY

Howdy... I've been lurking a while and wanted to add my two cents about TWC in Albany, NY and how they handled my CableCARD install.

In short, it was great. The phone call to customer service was brief and my order taken quickly. The rep who answered the phone had answers for all of my questions and actually understood what I wanted. At the time she told me that multistream cards were not available, but that the tech would be told to roll with at least two singles.

The tech arrived today and immediately knew how to handle the install on my TivoHD (he'd actually done several already). I asked if he had the two single stream cards (fully expecting something to have gone wrong between my order and the truck roll) and was pleasantly surprised to hear that he'd brought 4 single AND two multi, "just in case".

The pairing went flawlessly (albeit slowly) with the first multistream card and within an hour the HD was happily decoding.

Also, the tech was more than happy to email me his corporate memo enumerating all the SDV channels (as this info is nowhere to be found on the official TWC website). And on that front, he confirmed that TWC should be receiving 2-way comm dongles for testing sometime before June 08.

So, despite all the horror stories we hear in this thread, I just wanted to share my pleasant experience with anyone in the Albany area who's looking into a Series3/HD. The install isn't that bad when you get a tech who knows what he's doing.

So... here's the list of SDV channels on TWC in Albany, NY as of 2/20:

Code:
Channel(s) Handled By SDV (86)

20 (WYPX)
110 Disney East
215 Discovery Health
375 (EWTN)
434 Turner Classic Movies
551 (Fox Business News)
570 CSPAN
575 CSPAN2
**675 (NHL)
677 (NBATV)
708 (HBO West)
709 (HBO2 West)
710 (HBO Signature West)
711 (HBO Family West)
712 (HBO Comedy West)
713 (HBO Zone West)
714 (HBO Latino West)
725 (Cinemax West)	 726 (More MAX West)
727 (Action MAX West)
728 (Thriller Max West)
747 (Showtime 2 West)
748 (Showtime 3 West)
749 (Showtime Extreme West)
750 (Showtime Beyond West)
754 (Showtime Next West)
755 (Showtime Family Zone West)
756 (Showtime Women West)
763 (TMC West)
764 (TWC Extra West)
776 Starz West
777 Starz Cinema West
788 Encore West
901 Univision
1107 TWTV7
1109 QVC
1115 Home Shopping Network	 1120 ShopNBC
1823 Weather Channel HD
1839 History Channel HD
1841 HGTV HD
1842 Food HD
1851 Fox Business News HD
1846 CNN Channel HD
1864 Lifetime Movie Network HD
1873 Versus/Golf Channel HD
** 1874 Outdoor Channel
** 1875 (NHL HD)
1876 National Geographic Channel HD
1890 Starz East HD
1981 Starz West HD
1910-1919 NBA League Pass
1930 thru 1943 NHL/MLB services
1950-1956 ESPN Game Plan
Cheers!
--Tom
tgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #2950
Sheils

TWC sd channels

So that means there are 86 channels that you don't get thru your TiVo?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #2951
tgirard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheils View Post
So that means there are 86 channels that you don't get thru your TiVo?
Correct. In practice, about only 6 of those really affect me as I might actually watch them. I don't have any premium channels and only subscribe to the sports tier in the 600's which isn't provided via SDV.

I have a S2 with a standard def STB in the bedroom, so I can still watch almost everything I want. HistoryHD and WeatherChannelHD are the only two that I really miss out on.

Hopefully the tuning resolver will be available sooner rather than later.
tgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #2952
laleytx

TWC and TiVo in San Antonio

I'm working with TWC-SA to get my TiVo HD box up and running... but after 2 truck rolls was only getting analog channels plus local HD (which don't work without the CableCards...) but I wasn't receiving any HD package or digital tier channels.... seems to be a provisioning issue... but what do I know?

Truck Roll #1 - 2/22 - Install... for $29.99

Techs installed an M-Card read the host ID and MAC address to someone at TWC, and left saying the digital tier channels would show up "in a few hours..." Umm... nope. The tech told me they were told to try to talk me out of using CableCard... I told them that I had been through 3 SA 8300HD DVRs... none of which recorded HD shows without major problems (audio or video loss) after a few months of use...

Truck Roll #2 - 2/27 - Install ReDeux

Nice tech... checks levels at the pedestal, Scientific Atlanta House Amp, and the TiVo HD box... all ok... STILL decides on running a new cable line from the ped to the house to eliminate any potential signal issues... Tries repairing the M-Card with no luck... also tries switching from one M-Card to two S-Cards... no luck... still only getting analog plus local HD... nothing over channel 112.

Truck Roll #3 - 2/28 - The tech called TiVo and ASKED QUESTIONS! (Tech #1299)

Most thorough tech yet. Checks levels everywhere... Talks with TiVo tech supports and completely resets the box. Tech said he found that the "standard" codes were missing and had to be "forced"... Whatever that means. Removes both S-Cards, resets the box and the account and starts the CableCard install from scratch pairing each card one at a time... and... SUCCESS... except for the SDV channels... which seems to not mesh with the FCC compatibility requirements.

It looks like the easy way to do it it to micromanage the techs to do the install right the first time... TWC should be better at this, both for saving the customers frustration and saving TWC money for more truck rolls.

The funny thing is - if I could have picked up the CC and done the install myself, TWC would have saved three truck rolls and I would have working TV a week earlier.

UPDATE - Time Warner San Antonio's Programming for CableCard is outright lousy. The only channels available in HD are TNT, ESPN, Discovery HD Theater, Fox SportsNET, MOJO, and Universal HD... Meaning I'm not getting 19 channels that should be available.

Any update on when the proposed SDV adaptor will be available?

Last edited by laleytx : 02-28-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Update
laleytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #2953
derspiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Here in Cincinnati it's a little different. They pick up the CC's at the warehouse on the day of the call. The tech who came out on Monday brought two M-cards from the warehouse just in case one did not work. Fortunately it did.
I just took the plunge with my TiVoHD that arrived yesterday (was on the fence but could not pass up the $199 refurb deal). I have an "all day" appointment with TW-Cincy set for Tuesday since that's the earliest time & my wife should be home all day.

I'm sure it was for nothing, but when I made the appointment, I asked that the phone rep mention in the work order that I am requesting a multistream card.

Wish me luck...
derspiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #2954
Hot Karl

I am a TW Customer in the Milwaukee area.

The TW representative I spoke told me that TW CableCards only work with "Series 3" Tivos. I took that to mean both TivoHDs and proper Series 3 Tivos (because, as I understand it, they have the same architecture.)

Could any of you verify luck with using a TivoHD and Time Warner Cable Cards?

Thanks!
Hot Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #2955
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
Could any of you verify luck with using a TivoHD and Time Warner Cable Cards?
TiVo HD works with TWC issued cable cards. I have two TiVo HD's and Albany TWC. Make sure you request multistream cards (or "Mcards"). The cust. service rep on the phone may try to tell you they don't have them, but they do. Ask the CSR to "humor" you and place a note on the work order to request Mcards. The field technicians know what they are.

Just don't be surprised when you don't get half or more of the HD channels because TWC uses switched digital video technology.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #2956
DaveDFW

I just read that Time-Warner in North Texas is planning to roll out more HD channels in Dallas, Mesquite, Plano, and Richardson on March 27:

golf/versus hd
a&e hd
food network hd
hgtv hd
national geographic hd
history channel hd
tbs hd
cnn hd
fsn sw hd
and two unknown hd channels coming two weeks later

In those four cities, we should be in good shape with our Tivos. But they also say the "outlying" areas (which I guess means everywhere else?) will get these channels by the end of 2008, but delivered via SDV.

Thanks,
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #2957
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by derspiess View Post
I just took the plunge with my TiVoHD that arrived yesterday (was on the fence but could not pass up the $199 refurb deal). I have an "all day" appointment with TW-Cincy set for Tuesday since that's the earliest time & my wife should be home all day.

I'm sure it was for nothing, but when I made the appointment, I asked that the phone rep mention in the work order that I am requesting a multistream card.

Wish me luck...
I would call back and verify that your request was actually added to your ticket. And make sure the tech knows to bring at least two cards with him. I was told that they are getting away from the S-cards in lieu of the M-cards.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #2958
derspiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
I would call back and verify that your request was actually added to your ticket. And make sure the tech knows to bring at least two cards with him. I was told that they are getting away from the S-cards in lieu of the M-cards.
I'm reasonably satisfied she added that in there-- she said something like "I don't know what that means, but I'll make sure it they know".

And at this point, I'd rather take my chances on the tech showing up with just one card rather than wait forever in a call queue
Old 02-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #2959
tiarksd

TWC Dublin Ohio Experience

I just go a Tivo HD up and running with TWC using cable cards. The experience wasn't too bad thanks to these boards.

When I called to order they had no problem putting the order in, but said I could pick them up and install them myself. After I questioned the rep on this they came and said their tech would have to come and install them. Saved myself a trip across town.

They only support the single stream Scientific Atlantic cards. Install seemed to go ok. Went through the setup again ( i had been playing for a few days via antenna). Seems like the TivoHD needs to be reset/reboot once the cable cards are activated. Kids found out that only one of the cards was fully functional :-( I recommend going to the cable card menu and verifying both cards after install.

Quick call to TWC customer service to reset the cards (rep knew exactly what to do), reset of the Tivo HD and I was fully functional.

Now the bad news: as noted elsewhere TWC puts copy protect on all channels including local so TTG is nonfunctional. I'm off to look up the FCC regs, make the calls, letters etc. :-(

Pricing
$2.50/m/card

$20 install (not sure if thats per card, we'll see when we get the bill)

3/19/08 Update - Looks like they took the copy protect flags off the local channels this weekend. TTG is at least working for the local channels now.

Last edited by tiarksd : 03-20-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Updated info
tiarksd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #2960
bitfactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
In Cincinnati I can get TNT HD, ESPN, ESPN2, A&E HD, History HD, TBS HD on my cable cards. Some used to be SDV but were changed in the last month. I could always get TNT HD and Discovery HD.
These are the ONLY channels in HD you can get with the CCs on a TivoS3 (I take it you can get the locals in HD, too)?

I'm so disgusted by the SA 8300HDC box and their new Navigator software. It's, without a doubt, the worst piece of software I've ever had the misfortune of using.

That said, can someone give me the full list of HD channels you can get with a S3 w/CCs in Cincinnati? I'm either going Tivo or *TV - I've had it with the new software.

Thanks so much.
bitfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #2961
squiddohio

TWC Cincy

I've had an S3 for a very long time, and a TiVo HD for about 6 months or so in Cincinnati. The cable cards work very well, although sometimes it takes an experienced "dispatcher" to know what signals to send to get the cards working.

I asked about a multistream card, and at that time TW in Cinci said that they do not use them at all.

When you call in, they will think you have a TV set that needs a cable card; I guess that must be the overwhelming majority of CC requests, so be sure to indicate that you need two cards. I had some trouble the first time, but that was one of the first S3s in Cincinnati, but I was fortunate that my installer was very savy, and know which dispatcher to call and which dispatchers were clueless.

In any event, after installation, I have had no problems other than one instance when one instance when my HBO signal was lost (fixed with a phone call to cust service), and one instance when one cable card went dead (fixed with a simple reboot of the S3). This was discovered when I noticed a zero length recording. For some reason, the cable card lost its signal or something. Fortunately, a reboot (or reset) solved the problem. Also, if you have problems, be sure to go into the card test area to see which card is getting which stations, so you can narrow down the problem as much as possible before calling TW service. Sometimes one card might be out, sometimes HBO might be off both cards, etc. In most instances, a reset put things right, so always try that first. These problems are few and far between, and are less frequent and are more easily remedied than the problems with the TW 8300 HD cable box DVR, which I gladly returned to TW when I got my S3.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #2962
bitfactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
I've had an S3 for a very long time, and a TiVo HD for about 6 months or so in Cincinnati. The cable cards work very well, although sometimes it takes an experienced "dispatcher" to know what signals to send to get the cards working..
Hi Squid - which HD channels don't you get here in Cincy using the S3?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #2963
Midwest User1

I'm in Waukesha, WI. and I have a TIVO Series 3 with (2) S-cards and a TIVO HD with (2) S-cards and both work.
Midwest User1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #2964
squiddohio

First of all, it's Squidd, with 2 d's, thank you very much.
In Cincy, for a while, TW had a few stations on SDV, such as ESPN2HD, and TNTHD, I think, but a few months ago, all HD stations were available, as far as I know. I get all the network stations, HBO, Showtime, and the "HD Tier" (which has HDNet and that group of misc HD stuff). Right now, everything comes in directly with basic cable cards. I don't know why they went to switched digital for a while, or why they went back, but that's the way it is now.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #2965
bitfactory

Quote:
In Cincy, for a while, TW had a few stations on SDV, such as ESPN2HD, and TNTHD, I think, but a few months ago, all HD stations were available, as far as I know.
Thanks, squidd. 2 weeks ago they told me I wouldn't be able to get ESPN2HD if I switched to Tivo. Maybe they switched back to wait until the SDV 'adapter' is available? Who knows - glad to hear I can switch if I want... Now, the only question is, Series 3 or TivoHD...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #2966
squiddohio

BITFACTORY:
Whoever at TW told you that ESPN2HD was not available via cable card just didn't get the memo. Or maybe they are going to switch it back, and I didn't get that memo. Anyway, I'm not a big sports fan, so not getting those second tier shows on "The Deuce" in HD did not bother me during that period. (I could still get them on standard def if I wanted to see the show.) And, of course, the great dongle will make that issue go away, as soon as it is released, and then TW can do all the SDV it wants.

As for S3 or HD, I have one of each, and they both perform the same; the S3 has the nicer front display, which shows the title of the shows being recorded, but the HD has the cable card slots on the front, which is handy at installation time. I got the HD through some TiVo offer that allowed me to transfer lifetime service from my old S1 machine (as I did with my S3). I hear there are some other technical differences, and those posts are here for your review, but in day to day watching, it's the same thing on either machine. If there were no price difference, I'd go for the S3 due to its more elegant appearance, but there usually is a price difference, so it's up to you.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #2967
squiddohio

Isn't the easier solution to use two conventional cable cards?
Why would I want to bother putting pressure on Time Warner (an outfit that does not budge much under any circumstances) or Motorola (see above note) when an easy solution is readily available.
In any event, your your TiVo is not "useless." It already gets a lot of channels, and it can get all of them as soon as you get two conventional cable cards installed like the rest of us.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #2968
derspiess

Quote:
In Cincy, for a while, TW had a few stations on SDV, such as ESPN2HD, and TNTHD, I think, but a few months ago, all HD stations were available, as far as I know. I get all the network stations, HBO, Showtime, and the "HD Tier" (which has HDNet and that group of misc HD stuff). Right now, everything comes in directly with basic cable cards. I don't know why they went to switched digital for a while, or why they went back, but that's the way it is now.
So I won't lose MOJO when I turn in the cable company DVR? Kewl.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #2969
squiddohio

Not at all. I can tune into MOJO any time I want. Don't let the loss of MOJO stop you from turning in your TW DVR.
I can't think of anything that would stop me from turning that in.
As you know, you will not have the ability to order PayPerView, and you cannot access the "on demand" shows, but I have not missed that at all. I never used "on demand," mostly because I recorded my favorite shows when they aired, and just kept them until I had time (both my machines have enlarged drives, up to about 100 hours of HD each).
Also, with most shows being available online, missing a show is not as big a deal as it used to be.
Enjoy your MOJO.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #2970
derspiess

Quote:
Not at all. I can tune into MOJO any time I want. Don't let the loss of MOJO stop you from turning in your TW DVR.
I can't think of anything that would stop me from turning that in.
As you know, you will not have the ability to order PayPerView, and you cannot access the "on demand" shows, but I have not missed that at all. I never used "on demand," mostly because I recorded my favorite shows when they aired, and just kept them until I had time (both my machines have enlarged drives, up to about 100 hours of HD each).
Also, with most shows being available online, missing a show is not as big a deal as it used to be.
Enjoy your MOJO.
Thanks. As long as I don't end up having to return the TivoHD (and I see no reason thus far), the 8300HD is going back. I just assumed I was going to lose a few HD channels based on some older reports.

I won't miss PPV-- the only time I ever use it is football season, and then only for 1 or 2 college football games.

Once I get the cablecard(s) installed tomorrow, I'll re-run some network cable down to the living room to get the new box networked. Then I'll focus on upgrading the hard drive. Not that there aren't other projects around the house I should be doing-- just nothing as fun as this