TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #91
kmalone576

I agree - I'm actually quite impressed with the effort that Verizon has put out in order to try to make it work unfortunately there's not much more they can do.
kmalone576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #92
sturdydog

Channel Bits?

Sorry for any cross posting, I posted this in the other Pixelation thread and it was suggested that here might be a better spot as this is Verizon specific.

I too am having pixelation troubles with Verizon FIOS. I have a question I have not seen anybody touch on. I have two TiVos. One Series 3, one HD. The Series 3 works perfect, hardly ever seen a corrected packet and never a an uncorrected one. While the HD has all kinds of issues and many channels are only useable only after 24db of attenuatuation. Believe me all things are equal between the units from a signal standpoint as I have swapped cable cards / cables / splitters everyway possible and the results are the same.

The one thing that I find different between the two is the Series 3 shows Channel Bits: 30750 in the diagnostics screen, while the HD unit shows 30746. What does this number mean? Could this be the cause of my problems?

Can everybody please share what channel bits their system shows and whether or not they are having this problem?

Last edited by sturdydog : 02-19-2008 at 01:44 PM.
sturdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #93
NovaFIOS

Waiting for My TIVO HD

I have had FIOS since July 07 and have had multiple problems with their Motorola Box. I am on my third box after the previous 2 died, 2 within a week of each other. The box stinks, the software stinks and it craps out way too much. The one thing is that the picture has been really good. The HD is flawless, the SD could be a bit better, but no pixelation or anything.

Because of the problems, I finally decided the time has come to bite the bullet and purchase a TIVO HD to replace the crappy moto box. I have done some research regarding cable cards and attenuation etc, however after reading this thread, I am now really nervous whether the thing is going to work correctly with FIOS. IF i do not get the same perfect picture with TIVO that I was getting with FIOS and I spent nearly $300 on a TIVO, my wife is going to kill me. Did I make a big mistake????
NovaFIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #94
ciucca

NovaFIOS,

All I can tell you is if I spent time reading the posts concerning FIOS and TIVOHD I would NOT have purchased it. Everyone rags on the motorola HD boxes you rent from FIOS. I admit they have their problems, but at least they do not pixelate on any channel for me. IMO the pixelation outways all the other issues. Now you can "fix" pixelation if you want to go the attenuator route. It improved my problem 90-95%, but you are taking a risk, that you are one of the few the work around does not help. What area of the country are you in? From the multitudes of posts it's possible some FIOS areas may not have a problem (maybe just a theory).

Again if I know now what I didn't know then, I would have waited, to see if a solution is ever found before spending $300 for the tivo and wireless gizmo, and $200 for the dvr extender. This is the opinion of 1 person.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #95
bkdtv

I am in N. VA and had pixelization on a few SD channels. Adding an attenuator eliminated the pixelization on those channels.

If you are really worried, then buy the TiVo locally -- I believe BB and CC both have it for around $250 -- so you can return it if you are in the minority with pixelization issues that an attenuator does not address. You have 30 days to cancel service and return the TiVo without any penalty, aside from the $25 Verizon CableCard installation fee.

You could keep the Motorola DVR in the meantime, if you want. In N. VA, customers are now permitted to drop-off old equipment at Fair Oaks Mall (thus avoiding the pickup fee).

Last edited by bkdtv : 02-21-2008 at 12:36 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #96
brigont

adjustable attenuation module?

Guys,

Anyone know of an adjustable attenuation module of some sort.

Sure, these fixed db attenuators are a cheap solution. What about an expensive box with an adjustable attenuator control that lets you dial in the exact amount of att you need for perfect reception.

I also like lighting my firepalce with cash and wiping my A**with... well you get the point!

BG
brigont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #97
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigont View Post
Guys,

Anyone know of an adjustable attenuation module of some sort. BG
As in these posts from earlier in this thread? IIRC someone posted info about a more modern version from RS which included a signal amp but actually attenuated the signal however I can't seem to find it right now.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #98
sflippen

Exclamation Verizon HD STB's / DVR's on waitlist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post

You could keep the Motorola DVR in the meantime, if you want. In N. VA, customers are now permitted to drop-off old equipment at Fair Oaks Mall (thus avoiding the pickup fee).
DON'T RETURN any HD equipment to Verizon! They are now "out-of-stock" On their HD STB's and DVR's. I believe they estimate mid-March before they get more in, but they already have a backlog of pending installs.

Hold on to them long enough to confirm you have any trouble, because you won't be able to go pick them up right away if you do!

Last edited by sflippen : 02-22-2008 at 02:42 AM. Reason: spell check
sflippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #99
sturdydog

Thought I would give this a little bump as I have not seen any reponse.

I have an HD and a Series 3, the Series 3 works flawlessly and the HD has a lot of pixelation problems. The one thing that I find different between the two is the Series 3 shows Channel Bits: 30750 in the diagnostics screen, while the HD unit shows 30746. What does this number mean? Could this be the cause of my problems?

What Channel bits are the rest of you showing with and without problems?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #100
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdydog View Post
Thought I would give this a little bump as I have not seen any reponse.

I have an HD and a Series 3, the Series 3 works flawlessly and the HD has a lot of pixelation problems. The one thing that I find different between the two is the Series 3 shows Channel Bits: 30750 in the diagnostics screen, while the HD unit shows 30746. What does this number mean? Could this be the cause of my problems?

My TivoHD reports 30750 for N. VA FiOS.

I had pixelization on a handful of SD channels but a 10dB attenuator (on top of my other splitters / existing attenuation) eliminated that.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #101
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturdydog View Post
30746 - Series3 w/2 Comcast/Motorola "S" cable cards - No problems
30746 - TiVo HD w/1 Comcast/Motorola "M" cable card - No problems

The only time I note tiling/macroblocking/pixelization is when the SNR is 36+ which is fairly rare and seems to happen on the local NBC channel more than any other.

My results are also posted on this thread discussing many of the same issues (w/both FIOS and cableco's) with various suggestions for fixing things that have worked for some.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #102
kmalone576

S3 - intermittent problems with 30746
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #103
brigont

Yes,

This is confirmed. If you are awaiting a Fios install and they have committed to giving you gear then you are ok (although I imagine they would have conducted all the installs with existing equiptment by now and everyone else on the calendar are playing the waiting game).

No HD gear for all new orders and replacements for now...

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflippen View Post
DON'T RETURN any HD equipment to Verizon! They are now "out-of-stock" On their HD STB's and DVR's. I believe they estimate mid-March before they get more in, but they already have a backlog of pending installs.

Hold on to them long enough to confirm you have any trouble, because you won't be able to go pick them up right away if you do!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #104
brigont

Thanks richard,

But no need... Daisy-chaining three 6db attenuators did the trick. I have been reviewing all recent recordings and don't see macroblocks anymore.

Only time will tell.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
As in these posts from earlier in this thread? IIRC someone posted info about a more modern version from RS which included a signal amp but actually attenuated the signal however I can't seem to find it right now.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #105
NovaFIOS

CableCard Installation today

I bought my TIVO on AMAZON but they also have a 30 day return policy as well as the TIVO service. I will keep the FIOS Moto Box and do a trial with the TIVO. While I like the TIVO software much better, I agree that pixelation on any channel especially HD would be a show-stopper for me. I just don't understand why Verizon and TiVo can't get their crap together.

Verizon is coming this morning to install the S-Cards. Since I had so much trouble with the previous DVRs they agreed to waive the installation fee. If it works I can return the moto box to the local Verizon Experience Store. If not, I will keep it and return the TIVO.

BTW I am in Northern Virginia. I have read other posts where people say they do not have any trouble? I am starting to wonder if this is a small number of people having these problems or is it everyone.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #106
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

I'm with Fios in Falls Church, VA. I had this problem my Series 3. Had to add 18dB worth of attenuation.

Just installed two new TiVoHD's and didn't have to attenuate at all with the same ONT, cable cards, and internal cabling.
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #107
NovaFIOS

So Far So Good

Ok, Verizon came and installed cable cards. The tech was very nice, (helped me hang a picture while he waited for Cards to initialize )
First card took a bit, he had to call in and get some help to get the digital channels to show up, but they did come up, second card was up and running really quickly. I think, he was there for approximately an hour.

So far I have not seen any sort of pixellation at all on any channels. I did notice on HD HBO that there seems to be a flicker at the top of the screen which could be annoying but i am going to wait to see if its all the time. Other HD channels were very crisp. Lower SD channels were as good as they were with the Motorola box.

I am treating this as a trial. I have 30 days where I can return my TIVO and stop the service if anything comes up. The tech told me my signal was around 2 (whatever that means). He said a hot signal was around 4 so I shouldnt need any attenuators. I asked for some just in case and he gave me a few and also a splitter. He also gave me his card if I have any problems within the next 3 days.

I also kept the Motorola box so that I can either return it myself, or reinstall it if I decide TiVo aint worth it. So far, it is. I was able to listen to some of my ITunes music the other day through my Home Theater system, sounded awesome, I am going to test the Amazon Unbox thingy, and I have scheduled a few recordings online.

One thing that is a little annoying is that when changing channels sometimes, the screen goes blue for a sec and says "No Signal" then comes back. I think this happens when the video is changing formats - 720p - 1080i etc. Also, when going to the TiVo Screens it does this too. Anyone else experience this? I remember it did this on the moto box too until i adjusted to only be 720p and did the 4:3 override.

Anyway, will let you know how things go.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #108
NovaFIOS

Update

Ok, First Night with TIVO HD and FIOS and all I can say is "I FREAKIN LOVE IT". It is flawless, I have had absolutely no pixellation issues on any channel. I solved the channel changing flicker/delay by setting the Video Format to 720P fixed. Although my TV is capable of 1080i, I don't see a difference between 720 and 1080 and I have read some forums where it says 720 is better anyway. (unless you are at 1080P which noone broadcasts in anyway) Incidently, I had my motorola box set up this way as well.

I am now enjoying the wonderful ease and stability of TiVo. I played around with some of the online scheduling features and also ordered an Unbox video, all of which were set up and waiting for me when I got home.

With the use of TiviTunes and the universal audio thingy, I have tested playing some of my iTunes stuff which sounded great through my Audio System. (Good bye CD players).

I am sorry others have had such issues, but I am very very happy right now. I highly recommend switching from the crappy Motorola box.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #109
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaFIOS View Post
I highly recommend switching from the crappy Motorola box.
I found one of these to be preferable over the Motorola box we used to have.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #110
ciucca

Quote:
Ok, First Night with TIVO HD and FIOS and all I can say is "I FREAKIN LOVE IT". It is flawless, I have had absolutely no pixellation issues on any channel.

I am sorry others have had such issues, but I am very very happy right now. I highly recommend switching from the crappy Motorola box.
All I can say is check back in a month and let us know how it's going
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #111
NovaFIOS

ciucca are you trying to kill my buzz?

Did you have it working only to have it not working later? As I said in previous post, I am treating the 30 day return and cancellation as a trial period but from what I have so far experienced, I am very pleased. I kept my motorolla just in case, but i would love to throw that piece of **** under a bus.

BTW, I agree with richsadams
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #112
bkdtv

NovaFiOS,

Your experience mimics mine, although I did have to add a 10dB attenuator to eliminate pixelization on ~5 SD channels. I never had pixelization on the other SD and HD channels.

The TivoHD should get even better with the software update expected in March.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #113
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
NovaFiOS,
The TivoHD should get even better with the software update expected in March.
bkdtv,

Did I miss the announcement that makes you expect the update in March? (I did see last week's message from TivoPony that said an update was coming some time "soon", but IIRC he didn't promise a date.)
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #114
kmalone576

Quote:
I am treating this as a trial. I have 30 days where I can return my TIVO and stop the service if anything comes up.
Just an FYI - my S3 and FIOS worked flawlessly together for more than 6 months (with no attenuators, etc) before I started having pixelation problems requiring playing musical attenuators. So having no problems for 30 days doesn't guarantee it will always work...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 PM   #115
sturdydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone576 View Post
Just an FYI - my S3 and FIOS worked flawlessly together for more than 6 months (with no attenuators, etc) before I started having pixelation problems requiring playing musical attenuators. So having no problems for 30 days doesn't guarantee it will always work...
My worked for many months as well then had problems for about 2 months and now works flawlessly with no attenuators while my HD unit has problems. Go figure. Personally I think it is software problems as hardware problems would be more consistent in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #116
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
bkdtv,

Did I miss the announcement that makes you expect the update in March? (I did see last week's message from TivoPony that said an update was coming some time "soon", but IIRC he didn't promise a date.)
TivoPony said they hoped to have the update out just after the Superbowl last month, but that a bit more work was required.

I think March is a safe bet, but I don't have any new information.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #117
NovaFIOS

Software Upgrade?

What is the software upgrade supposed to do? Is is supposed to make it more stable?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #118
bkdtv

Quote:
What is the software upgrade supposed to do? Is is supposed to make it more stable?
Part of your monthly fee goes toward software improvement to add features / functionality.

TiVo added a revamped wishlist, eSATA external drive expansion, TTG, and MRV with the last software update. The next software update is supposed to eliminate bugs and improve performance. From the post above, we should see it very soon.

Last edited by bkdtv : 03-03-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #119
ilh

I added another 6dB attenuation to bring my THD to 25dB (16dB attenuators, 3.5dB 2-way splitter, 5.5dB 3-way splitter) in an attempt to stop errors on 836 (HD Theater, 747MHz). I'm still seeing some corrected errors, but uncorrected seem better than with only 19dB attenuation. I'm finally down to 31-32dB SNR. I must have a beast of a ONT putting out lots of signal.
ilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #120
bilbo

Cool

i added 10db of attenuation to get my snr down to 31/32. before i got to that value of attenuation, i had no picture with 20db of attenuation (black screen), and i seemed to have pixellation at 16db of attenuation and uncorrected errors were tallying up at 16db (snr was about 27/28 -- did not notice what the signal strength was). it seems to have taken the pixelation i had away (which were occuring on the hd channels only as far as i can tell).

this seems to be a pretty good setting so far -- i didn't try 13db. it sounds like from the comments that 31 or 31/32 is the sweet spot, and 32/33 is still too high. so i guess i am right on the edge, but i'm assuming it is best to use as little attenuation as necessary to correct the problem and get the snr at the "sweet spot."

my pixellation problem has been fairly recent on the hd channels only, however (about the last four weeks -- i recorded lost on both abc's last night and ended up having to watch it in 4:3 standard-def because of pixellation on abchd). i had not had much of any problems before that {at least on the hd channels -- a few channels in the 150-160 standard definition digital range started pixellating about a year ago (i.e. sci-fi; this problem lasted for about four weeks but i believe bkdtv said verizon was doing some work in my area at that time)}.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote