TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Bruzer

Pioneer DVR-115 DVD Useable in Toshiba RS-TX20?

Can anyone confirm that a Pioneer DVR-115 DVD drive will work as a direct replacement for the DVR-108 that is currently in my Toshiba RS-TX20? I think I've read that this model (or the earlier DVR-112) works in the Humax DVD/TiVo units, but I'm not sure about the Toshiba units. I realize that I won't be able to make use of all of the new specs for the DVR-115, but I just need something that will work like the DVR-108.

Thanks
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

IMO, if it works in the Humax units, it will work in the Toshiba and Pioneer units.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Bruzer

I'm willing to spend $30 to try it. Newegg currently has the black version for that price with free shipping:

LINK
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

classicsat,

While I'd like to believe your statement, the Pioneer TiVos are very finicky on what DVD burner will work in them. I'm willing to bet the cost of a DVR-115D that it will not work in a Pioneer TiVo as a burner. Maybe as a reader, but not as a burner. However, I would love to be proven wrong. I have a couple of Pioneer TiVos that could use a burner replacement. The only ways I've found to replace the burner is to get a donor Pioneer TiVo from ebay or pay $100 or so to weaknees.com for a replacement burner.

I agree with your statement about the Humax and Toshiba TiVos liking the same replacement burners. I've done successful burner replacements with DVR-112D and DVR-111D burners in both the Humax and Toshiba Tivos. These TiVo units seem to be more forgiving on the parts you drop into them. Unfortunately, the video encoder isn't as good as the encoder in the Pioneer TiVos. Oh well, you can't have everything.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Bruzer

Well I installed the Pioneer DVR-115D DVD-RW (purchased from NewEgg) in my Toshiba RS-TX20. I first updated the firmware to the latest version (v1.18), then installed the unit. I tested it with several configurations (playing DVD, recording on DVD-RW, playing a previously recorded DVD-RW) and everything appears to work fine EXCEPT for one annoying problem:

During playback, the unit is very LOUD. It sounds like it's running at full speed the entire time. Has anyone else noticed that with this unit (or the earlier DVR-112D)? I don't suppose anyone knows a way to make it run quieter?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Mars

I installed a DVR-115d from New Egg directly into my TiVo as shipped without any changes, works fine. Maybe try putting the original firmware back on if possible to do that.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Bruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I installed a DVR-115d from New Egg directly into my TiVo as shipped without any changes, works fine. Maybe try putting the original firmware back on if possible to do that.
I can try rolling back the firmware, but I'll probably need to contact Pioneer to try and get the earlier version (they only have a link to the 1.18 version). I think the version before I did the update was 1.13. Can you check to see what version of firmware your TiVo reports (Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information -> System Information -> DVD Drive Firmware Version)?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Mars

Bruzer,

My firmware is at 1.06 and is installed in a Humax DRT-800.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Bruzer

Well it's a NO GO on trying to get a previous version of the firmware from Pioneer. The CSR stated that their engineering dept. doesn't make previous versions available since they don't want them "floating around".

I put my DVR-108JA back in my Toshiba and I'll use the DVR-115D in my PC (replacing an older DVR-106).

If anyone finds that the DVR-115D and Toshiba RS-TX20 combination plays DVDs without noisily running at full speed, could you please post to this forum and indicate which version of firmware you are using?

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
tahoejoe

Replacing the TX-20 burner

Is it just a simple matter of taking the old one out and putting the Pioneer DVR-115D DVD-RW in the Toshiba TX-20 ( like in a PC) or does something more complex have to be done? My existing burner is hit or miss with DVD-RW and I've only been able to burn one brand (TDK). I'd love to replace the existing burner to get more consistent burns. Do you get faster burn times or the ability to burn DVD+R/RW?
tahoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Bruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejoe View Post
Is it just a simple matter of taking the old one out and putting the Pioneer DVR-115D DVD-RW in the Toshiba TX-20 ( like in a PC) or does something more complex have to be done? My existing burner is hit or miss with DVD-RW and I've only been able to burn one brand (TDK). I'd love to replace the existing burner to get more consistent burns. Do you get faster burn times or the ability to burn DVD+R/RW?
I followed the steps outlined from Weaknees for removing the cover and the hard drive HERE

Once you remove the hard drive, DON'T remove the bracket from the hard drive (unless you're also replacing the hard drive at the same time). Removing the hard drive just makes it easier to remove/install the DVD unit.

Disconnect the IDE and power cables attached to the DVD unit. There are two "wings" (one on each side) that are attached to the DVD unit. First unscrew the four screws that are securing the wings to the TiVo unit base. Gently rock the DVD unit side to side until it becomes loose and pull it back and up and out of the TiVo. The "wings" will still be attached to the DVD unit. Remove the four screws that connect the wings to the DVD unit and reassemble them on your new DVD unit. Gently insert the DVD unit back into the TiVo (be patient and slowly guide it forward and it should move back into place). Reattach the wings to the TiVo base (four screws), then return the hard drive back into the TiVo and secure it in place. Reconnect the IDE and power cables to both the DVD unit and the hard drive, then put the cover back on and secure it (6 screws). If I recall correctly, you can use a T-10 Torx screwdriver for all of the screws.

You won't get any faster burn times or the ability to burn DVD+R/RW media since that is controlled by the TiVo firmware.

If you install a DVR-115, I'm curious whether you notice any difference in how loud the unit is when playing back DVDs. As I posted earlier, it sounds like it is spinning at full-speed and creating a lot of wind noise. You might also want to first do the install without updating the firmware, since I'm curious whether that is the source of the noise problem.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
tahoejoe

Thanks

Bruzer,

Thanks! Don't know when I'll get around to doing this ( I'm not the most patient person around when things don't fit easily), but I'll probably keep an eye on the pricing on the Pioneer DVD drive. I may leave well enough alone since the DVD-R works OK and they are so cheap anyway but thanks again for giving me the option.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
Bruzer

Quote:
Bruzer,

Thanks! Don't know when I'll get around to doing this ( I'm not the most patient person around when things don't fit easily), but I'll probably keep an eye on the pricing on the Pioneer DVD drive. I may leave well enough alone since the DVD-R works OK and they are so cheap anyway but thanks again for giving me the option.
Sounds like a good plan, tahoejoe. Due to the noise issue, I'm going to put my DVR-115 in my PC (to replace my older DVR-106), and put the original DVR-108JA back into my Toshiba. When it does finally need to be replaced, I'll probably check back in this forum to see what people are using as replacements.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
tahoejoe

Anyone tried the Pioneer DVR-116DBK in the Toshiba yet?

It's currently available at newegg.com for $29 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129023
Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
sledhed

Quote:
It's currently available at newegg.com for $29 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129023
This would be an excellent price if it works... tempted to try it...
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
tahoejoe

Pioneer DVR-116DBK works in the Toshiba RS-TX20!

Just installed it and successfully played a DVD+R recorded on a different recorder. Then successfully recorded to a DVD-RW ( which I've had trouble recording to in the past) and DVD-R. It's a little noisier than the original drive when recording, but it's not that noticeable to me. The only problem so far is that the DVD tray catches on the Toshiba flap door when the tray closes ( you have to hold the flap down for it to close).

Last edited by tahoejoe : 09-06-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added successful dvd-r recrding
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
tahoejoe

Pioneer DVR-116DBK available now for $28.99 shipped at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L0C-_-27129023