TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #61
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
The Premium Channel Upgrade will be 100% Transparent
to you. The Encryption Keys for those channels will be sent
to your "M" Card and the channels will magically appear.
Thank you. I certainly hope that is so. I guess I'll find out next week(Feb.5).

Thanks again.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #62
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Thank you. I certainly hope that is so. I guess I'll find out next week(Feb.5).

Thanks again.
I am having my 6th "M" card installed today..

I have been there and done that as they say
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #63
guava

Currently, the software in the original Series 3 box does not support the multistream capabilities of the MCard, so you will need two CableCARDs, either SCard or MCard, to have full support.
-from FAQ

-This may be wrong. I talked to support who said that this is harware not software. The person I talked to said there is only one tuner per cardslot.

Thanks
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #64
dwit

Quote:
The Premium Channel Upgrade will be 100% Transparent
to you. The Encryption Keys for those channels will be sent
to your "M" Card and the channels will magically appear.
10:40am. No additional digital channels yet. Additional digital channels should have begun today. I guess around noon I'll try a restart. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to call Comcast.

I know I can just wait and ask the tech-and maybe I will-but I don't expect much help in that matter from her/him.

Maybe I'll try messing with the cable card settings, but don't want to screw up what I already have.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #65
drhankz

Quote:
10:40am. No additional digital channels yet. Additional digital channels should have begun today. I guess around noon I'll try a restart. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to call Comcast.

I know I can just wait and ask the tech-and maybe I will-but I don't expect much help in that matter from her/him.

Maybe I'll try messing with the cable card settings, but don't want to screw up what I already have.
It is possible Comcast is ASLEEP at the Switch.

Someone at the NOC [Network Operations Center] does
need to do some data entry to make it happen. Then it
probably needs to be manually pushed out to your card.
Therefore - two manual operations from Comcast.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #66
dwit

Quote:
It is possible Comcast is ASLEEP at the Switch.

Someone at the NOC [Network Operations Center] does
need to do some data entry to make it happen. Then it
probably needs to be manually pushed out to your card.
Therefore - two manual operations from Comcast.
Thanks.

Just spoke with Comcast and was told that since this was ordered as a bundle with the telephone service, when the tech communicates that the work order is complete(2-5 appointment today), new channels will be activated.

Will just have to wait until then.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #67
drhankz

Quote:
new channels will be activated.

Will just have to wait until then.
MAKES Complete sense to me.

That is how they operate.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #68
dwit

Quote:
MAKES Complete sense to me.

That is how they operate.
All is well. Everything is working as you explained.

Thanks again.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #69
drhankz

Quote:
All is well. Everything is working as you explained.

Thanks again.
Congratulations - I was WAITING for your Feedback.

Time to Celebrate
Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #70
dsa1971

Tivo HD CableCards and FIOS - My install experience

I have two Tivo HD boxes and FIOS TV. I ordered 4 Single Stream Cable Cards from Verizon on Monday. Verizon Rep said they would mail them to me and it would take 3-5 days. Friday I received a phone call to confirm my appointment for an installer to come out on Saturday with a window of 8am to 5pm. This was news to me and a 9 hour window is riduculous. The installer arrived at 4:20pm. He had never installed a cablecard in any device before. He did not know anything about tivo. He called a co-worker for help which was of minor help. I knew more about how to set things up than he did. He did add an attenuator to one of my cable lines. Currently, my HDTV seems to be functioning with both cablecards. My other tube TV is having some issues. The cablecard in slot 2 seemed to be having some problems. After removing it Tivo seems to be working better. I may do some more diagnostics with it later. For now, I will stick with the one cablecard. I can't believe how difficult the install was and how sensitive the cablecards setup seem to be.
dsa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #71
Thanatos Z06

CableCard self install TivoHD with Comcast service ... not all channels viewable ...
It took 4 calls and a quick look at the Tivo support page for troubleshooting this issue, but I finally got things working.
The issue seems to be that most Comcast phone support technicians DO NOT have the authority to send the right signal to the Cable Card. Most of them dismissed me with a simple "we resent the signal", however, they CAN NOT send the proper signal!
In Messages & Settings --> Settings --> Remote, CableCard, & Devices --> CableCard Decoder --> Configure CableCard 1 (Multi-Stream) --> CableCARD Menu --> Conditional Access in the mid section of this screen is an "AUTH" code. If you have a multi-stream card and they sent the wrong signal (default) it will read "MP" here and should read "S".
YOU MUST INFORM THEM OF THIS SO THE "LEAD" WILL SEND THE CORRECT SIGNAL.
Check the "Cannot View Encrypted Channels" portion of the Tivo FAQ for more info:
http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...chor=undefined
I hope this saves other people from the hours of frustration I went through!
Regards
Thanatos Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #72
Thanatos Z06

Comcast CableCARD concerns

In my previous post I had info regarding my troubles getting TivoHD and Comcast CableCARD (multi-stream) functioning.
As I read through some of this thread I can see that there are numerous issues. I thought I should add some of my observations and revelations the Comcast tech on my last call shared with me.

Until recently Comcast did not allow customers/users to install CableCARDs themselves. There is a concern about 'damaging' the cards with the wrong setup. My final call revealed that MOST of the phone support personnel HAVE NOT been trained for CableCARD support and are NOT familiar with the TIVO hardware. Additionally, only the "lead" support person can send the PROPER signal to the CableCARD to set it up properly (for multi-stream cards).
The support tech I spoke with admitted that she had not received training and that the 4 hour class had not yet been scheduled.

I bring all of this up to warn readers of this thread that they should not accept the simple "we are resetting the card" info from the support tech and should MAKE SURE to have the "lead" send the signal as this "advanced setting" is not availble to the standard phone techs. Since they can't send the proper signal, your problem will NOT be solved.

Again, I must point out that I was able to find the appropriate info/codes to tell the tech (who told her "lead") at the Tivo support page:
http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Lau...chor=undefined

Best of luck to you all ... next step for me is to 'enhance' the storage of my TivoHD!
Thanatos Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #73
Kracko

TWC in West LA

I am so frustrated with TWC right now.

I called to say I had a Tivo HD. The operator said to go to a local store and pick up two cable cards to activate it.

I went and picked them up.

Today I tried to install them and while I get 2-13 and the HD equivalents, I can receive no other channels.

I called and was practically scolded for picking up the cable cards. Now EVERY operator I call tells me I have to have a tech come out on Wednesday to install them. I have explained that they are already installed but that doesn't matter...they still want to send a tech.

I know it's only 3 days but their incompetence is so frustrating.
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #74
cwoody222

A friend of mine is having her THIRD installer visit today to try to get working CableCARDs in her TiVoHD.

Isn't there a TiVo phone number she can have handy so the cable installer can talk to TiVo CableCARD experts directly?

NEVERMIND... after 3 visits, her CableCARDs are working now!

Last edited by cwoody222 : 02-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #75
musictoo

A couple of things I found out this past week (TWC)... For an S3 you cannot mix S cards and M cards. The TW installer came without enough of one or the other. Also the person the tech speaks with typically works with the very last layer of the CC setup on their end. I was on my 4th set of cards when They figured out that the cards we were using were not "staged" correctly. His words. Apparently the cards are in a TW database and have information associated with them based on what NOC they are distributed from. Getting that corrected as at least a layer or two above the person the installer was speaking with.
musictoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #76
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko View Post
I am so frustrated with TWC right now.

I called to say I had a Tivo HD. The operator said to go to a local store and pick up two cable cards to activate it.

I went and picked them up.

Today I tried to install them and while I get 2-13 and the HD equivalents, I can receive no other channels.

I called and was practically scolded for picking up the cable cards. Now EVERY operator I call tells me I have to have a tech come out on Wednesday to install them. I have explained that they are already installed but that doesn't matter...they still want to send a tech.

I know it's only 3 days but their incompetence is so frustrating.
Dear TWC...left hand, meet right hand. How frustrating!

It sounds like you have two "S" or single-stream cable cards. (If you have "M" or multi-stream cable cards you need only one.) As indicated on the cable card installation sheet supplied with your TiVo (or from these instructions) you not only need to insert your cable cards but have them activated/initialized. That entails calling TWC and reading them the appropriate numbers from the cable card menu setup screen. Once that's done they will activate them and you'll be able to see all of your subscribed channels.

Be sure to follow the directions carefully...installing and activating slot one first and then slot two. (Or in the case of a single "M" cable card, slot one.)

You could try calling them again to do that but if they continue to give you grief, it might be best to let them do it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #77
Kracko

Well the installer came by yesterday and installed the one M card I had, successfully. I was actually surprised. I'll be returning that POS Motorola box and the second cable card to the nearby office. Good riddance.
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 AM   #78
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko View Post
Well the installer came by yesterday and installed the one M card I had, successfully. I was actually surprised. I'll be returning that POS Motorola box and the second cable card to the nearby office. Good riddance.
And now you can relax. Maybe watch some TV!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #79
bsporl

I have an S3 and two cable cards. For some strange reason the 1st card matches my cable subscription (expanded-basic) and the 2nd card sees all channels, including the premiums.

Is there a way to tell the S3 to record premiums on the 2nd card and all other stuff on the 1st card?
bsporl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #80
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsporl View Post
I have an S3 and two cable cards. For some strange reason the 1st card matches my cable subscription (expanded-basic) and the 2nd card sees all channels, including the premiums.

Is there a way to tell the S3 to record premiums on the 2nd card and all other stuff on the 1st card?
No.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #81
Enforcer

Wanted to give my two cents here. Im in San Antonio and use TWC. When I called to make an appt to get my cable cards installed they told me it was gonna cost $52 for the truck roll. I was kinda mad about this but hey, what are you gonna do? So that night i took the TWC dvr's back and the nice person at the TWC store told me that the TWC store on 410 and Blanco will give me a cable card for installation. No need for a truck roll. So, the next morning i went there and sure enough, they gave me an M card. I took that baby home, installed it in the TivoHD and I received partial success. I could get the local HD tier, but none of the other HD channels. I must say, the TWC rep on the phone was awesome. He insisted on staying on the phone the entire time during my CC install. We were on the phone for about 45 minutes. After he tried several things and talked to several people, I still wasnt getting anything other than the local HD. Now I know about SDV in San Antonio, but there were still a few HD channels that were black. After he tried everything he knew, he made a truck roll appointment. I had read all the Tivo faq's and I tried to tell him it was billing/acct issue, but that didnt seem to help. About 2 hours after hanging up, another really nice guy from TWC called and asked me about the situation. I explained to him the problem and he said he recognized the problem. The CC wasnt authorized properly to see those other HD channels. He did his thing and bam. Im watching HD channels (well, the non-sdv ones anyway).

So if you live in San Antonio, you can pick up the cards and do the install. And there shoudnt be a need for a truck roll.

Love Tivo, its my first and I can't understand why it took me so many years to get it.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #82
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Wanted to give my two cents here. <snip>
Love Tivo, its my first and I can't understand why it took me so many years to get it.
Thanks much for the post!

It continues to amaze me that cableco's are so adamant about a truck roll for CC installations and invariably when the tech arrives it will be his or her first time doing anything like that. And even then they'll try to ignore the instruction sheet and do it "their way" until it doesn't work and then they'll try it "our" way.

Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #83
michael new

I seem to be having this issue 11. I have my CableCARD(s) installed, but some of the channels I'm supposed to get are grey myself Im wondering will running Guided Setup again make any differance and will it do anything to the card and make me have to pair it again? Will pairing be as difficult as the first time? Meaning if I need to call Comcast again to let them know Im missing channels will I need to go thru the whole process again or is it just a matter of them sending the new signal and it will work?
180hr Tivo HD MSD
180hrTivo HD
michael new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #84
richsadams

Reports are all over the board, but many people have been successful with calling their cableco and having them re-pair or "re-hit" their cable cards. It seems to all depend on the company, the day and if the planets are aligned.

It's certainly worth a try. Re-running guided setup afterward may or may not be needed...it depends on what channels TiVo is set up to receive. If they haven't changed, you shouldn't have to do anything else.

It looks like you have a TiVo HD. If they have to do a truck roll and you have two "S" cards you might see if they can bring an "M" (multistream) card...one less failure point. Actually, have them bring several of whatever they have as there are numerous reports of techs going through as many as a half-dozen before they found one that worked.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #85
TheLongshot

Well, my CC install with Cox was mostly a cluster. I won't get into the CSR issues (three times I was told the service guys were going to show up, they were wrong), but the guys were here for over two hours trying to get two different M-Cards to work, but all I was getting were the analog channels and the HD locals. They finally gave up and installed two S-Cards and that went smoothly.

Course, the guy said that I probably need to exchange it for an M-Card eventually. It sounds like they are trying really hard to phase out S-Cards.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #86
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Well, my CC install with Cox was mostly a cluster. I won't get into the CSR issues (three times I was told the service guys were going to show up, they were wrong), but the guys were here for over two hours trying to get two different M-Cards to work, but all I was getting were the analog channels and the HD locals. They finally gave up and installed two S-Cards and that went smoothly.

Course, the guy said that I probably need to exchange it for an M-Card eventually. It sounds like they are trying really hard to phase out S-Cards.

Jason
Welcome to the forum...too bad it's under such frustrating circumstances! I'm going to ask a dumb question, but do you have a TiVo HD or the "original" TiVo Series3? Since this thread is the "TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs > CableCARD installation FAQ" I was just wondering if there was some confusion. The TiVo Series3's require two "S" or two "M" cable cards. However the TiVo HD can use 1 "M" card or two "S" cards for dual tuner capability. That said, I'm pretty sure you/they were trying the right setup for your TiVo, but you never know sometimes.

We were lucky enough to have working ("M" and "S") cable cards installed the very first try on our Series3 and TiVo HD. However there are numerous reports on this forum and many others of techs going through as many as a dozen cable cards before finding one or two that work.

Glad to hear that things are finally good though.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #87
TheLongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum...too bad it's under such frustrating circumstances! I'm going to ask a dumb question, but do you have a TiVo HD or the "original" TiVo Series3? Since this thread is the "TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs > CableCARD installation FAQ" I was just wondering if there was some confusion. The TiVo Series3's require two "S" or two "M" cable cards. However the TiVo HD can use 1 "M" card or two "S" cards for dual tuner capability. That said, I'm pretty sure you/they were trying the right setup for your TiVo, but you never know sometimes.
Sorry, it was a TivoHD.

They seemed to have pretty decent experience in installing cards. They were telling me that they've been getting a lot of requests for CableCards in the past few months. I'm guessing from all the deals on Tivos lately.

And yes, everything is working fine now. I've actually been on the forum for a few weeks now, but this was the first time I actually have had something to post.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #88
tetranz

Hi all

I've read through this thread and hope this is the right place for this question.

My basic question is: Does the Tivo need to be activated and connected to the internet or phone for the installer to be able to do his thing?

I just bought a new Tivo Series3 from Amazon for a new house and new Comcast service. Comcast is coming the day after tomorrow. I've just purchased a year of Tivo service but haven't even unpacked the Tivo yet.

The house has had Comcast before but satellite more recently and there needs to be some rewiring to get the cable to where the Tivo and TV is.

I'm also getting broadband internet from Comcast but I'm getting the self installation kit (which they said the installer is bringing) so I won't have internet when the installer is there. I wouldn't expect him to wait around while I mess about getting my router etc going so ... he will be attempting to setup 2 cable cards on a Tivo S3 which has never been connected to the internet and will not have an internet connection available at the time. Is this a problem? That might be a silly question

I guess I could hook it up tomorrow here in the old house and at least get the Tivo online to update firmware and activate or whatever it needs to do. I could try it with TV from the antenna. Alternatively, I guess I could connect it to the phone line temporarily at the new place. My plan was to get a wireless network going later that day after the installer has left.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm in New Hampshire. I only just read here about the Comcast Tivo which may have been a possibility if I'd known about it.

Thanks
Ross
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #89
guitarded

just remember everyone....cable company know nothing about cable cards! NOTHING!
guitarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #90
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
Hi all

I've read through this thread and hope this is the right place for this question.

My basic question is: Does the Tivo need to be activated and connected to the internet or phone for the installer to be able to do his thing? Ross
Hi Ross and welcome to the forum.

The best thing to do is to get your new TiVo activated prior to the cable card installation. It'll need to be done and that will save some waiting around time for the cableco tech.

You can use a phone line to activate it no problem. If you have cable or an antenna you can run guided setup. You'll need to run it again after the cable cards are installed anyway. Doing everything using a phone line will take a bit longer is all. TiVo only downloads a few days of programming initially and it will likely download an update in the next few days. Over the next few days it will download all of the program guide. It will be a bit sluggish for the first da or two while it indexes the info and then things will be normal. Everything is automatic so there's nothing to do or worry about.

Once it's been activated simply give the cableco tech the cable card installation sheet. Contrary to some poor experiences quite a few cable techs do know what they're doing. They may need to be reminded that they need to install slot one FIRST and pair it, then the cable card in slot two. Some may try to do both at once which won't work is all. Our most recent Comcast installer had only installed two cable cards previously and never in a TiVo but with a little encouragement he did just fine. The whole thing took about an hour with most of his time spent waiting on hold while they paired the cable cards at their HQ.

After you get your broadband up and running it's a very simple matter to go into TiVo's setup and change the settings from the phone line to broadband.

Best of luck and enjoy your new digs!